TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ohio

Bohnson

Heritage Club - Mason Ohio (Private) - one of my favorites 

They host numerous events throughout each year. USGA Mid Am Qual is one of their big events. 

This is a Dye Design with risk reward shots to it especially on the par 5s. 

Overall this course is always in great shape. The greens are fast/undulating and fairways are mowed tight. Making par on the Par 3s will lead to some success, they can be tough especially from the back tees. The par fives have trouble around the greens. If you're wanting to play conservative, try to get a GIR by laying up and wedging it. This can eliminate a dreaded bogey+ on a par 5. 

I am a fan of this course, it does require a lot of attention on every shot as there is trouble throughout the course. Miss on the wrong side of the hole and you might find yourself in a tough spot. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: bjohnson@northamericangolftour.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Is there anything else about Ohio? Other courses you play or recommend? There's a bunch of us Spies in the CLE area.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Yes, I will keep posting reviews! Maybe try to complete 1 a day! 

I am a member at Country Club of The North in Xenia OH.

This is a signature Jack Nicklaus design. Big fairways that neck in closer to the green. Pretty flat greens with subtle breaks that a a challenge to read. Severe bunkering in spots as well! 

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Beavercreek Golf Club - Dayton OH 

This layout is nestled among woods, streams, and housing. The setting is challenging, yet relaxing design where you have to take a cart (the holes are spaced out!). 

7.2/10 

Busy public course for a reason. It is well kept and the greens have never disappointed! Some good dog legs and challenging tee shots. The driving range is not great, but it serves its purpose to warm up. 

http://www.beavercreekgolfclub.com/index.htm

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Troy Country Club - Troy OH 

This is an old school design with some quirky holes. Greens, fairways were good. 17 and 18 are not the best finishing holes with fairways that run out into hazard and a two tier green on 18. Hole 1 is a challenging starting hole. Great people and clubhouse is nice! Driving range is not near the clubhouse, you can park at the range and drive your car back to the clubhouse before starting. 

7.0/10 

https://www.troycountryclub.net/The_Course.aspx

Designed by Tom Bendelow in 1922, the bent grass course with a slope rating of 127, boasts pristine fairways, quick greens, and just the right amount of water and sand to appeal to all levels of golf. Tom Bendelow, nicknamed "The Johnny Appleseed of American Golf", was a prolific Scottish American golf course architect during the first half of the twentieth century. He is credited with having designed some 600 courses in a 35-year span including East Lake Country Club in Atlanta and Medinah Country Club outside Chicago. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

I thought The Virtues Golf Club in Nashport, OH was a great find.  An Arthur Hills design that has a lot of strategy throughout.  Was also in wonderful shape and not busy at all.  I believe it used to be a private course, but is now public with membership available.  I was able to find a great deal on GolfNow for around $45 with a cart during the week.  Prices seem to have gone up even without GolfNow in the past couple years since I've played it.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

@juspooleI agree! 

The virtues is an 8.4/10 because it a great layout. Easy to get a tee time because it is not near a big city and it is public.

Eaglesticks is close by and has some stay and play packages! I think The Virtues is a better track but both were in great shape and had good character. 

https://www.eaglesticks.com/ 

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

• 2 weeks later...

Avalon Lakes (Avalon Golf and CC) 

https://www.avalongcc.com/avalon-golf/golf-at-avalon-lakes/

8.7/10

This course is elite. It hosted the Ohio Am this year. About all you can handle from the back tees! Some demanding tee shots and you can never sleep on any shot out there or Pete Dye will get you! Definitely a great course in Ohio. 

Avalon Lakes is one of the premier golf courses in the world designed by legendary golf course architect, Pete Dye. The Lakes offers 5 sets of tees that range from 4904 yards to 7551 yards. Offering a variety for all skill levels, this par 72 golf course features undulating greens, beautiful terrain, and plenty of “lakes”. Our signature hole is number 8, a majestic peninsula par 3 that plays from 128 yards to 244 yards. The usual pin placement is located only steps from the water’s edge.

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Played Kirtland Country Club last Monday (Aug. 9th).

Beautiful track, course wasn't super difficult until you got to the greens.  If you could get on an play it I would highly recommend.  I really enjoyed holes 9, 10, and 11.

https://www.kirtlandcc.org/Golf/Course-Tour

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS (10.5º played as 9.5)
3W:  Cobra SZ tour (14º)
3-PW: Mizuno MP-20 HMB
52,56: Cobra MIM 

63 - Wilson Staff Model HT
Putter: EvnRoll ER-6
Ball: Pro V1
Arccos Tracking on all clubs

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, Bohnson said:

@juspooleI agree! 

The virtues is an 8.4/10 because it a great layout. Easy to get a tee time because it is not near a big city and it is public.

Eaglesticks is close by and has some stay and play packages! I think The Virtues is a better track but both were in great shape and had good character. 

https://www.eaglesticks.com/ 

I've heard Virtues is usually considered the best public course in the state. I played EagleSticks once on a group golfer coupon for $25. That course was in awesome shape and a ton of fun. Also I think it's a Hurdzan design so another famous architect.

Take Dead Aim

On 8/20/2021 at 6:22 AM, Bohnson said:

Avalon Lakes (Avalon Golf and CC) 

https://www.avalongcc.com/avalon-golf/golf-at-avalon-lakes/

8.7/10

This course is elite. It hosted the Ohio Am this year. About all you can handle from the back tees! Some demanding tee shots and you can never sleep on any shot out there or Pete Dye will get you! Definitely a great course in Ohio. 

Avalon Lakes is one of the premier golf courses in the world designed by legendary golf course architect, Pete Dye. The Lakes offers 5 sets of tees that range from 4904 yards to 7551 yards. Offering a variety for all skill levels, this par 72 golf course features undulating greens, beautiful terrain, and plenty of “lakes”. Our signature hole is number 8, a majestic peninsula par 3 that plays from 128 yards to 244 yards. The usual pin placement is located only steps from the water’s edge.

I've heard this place is awesome, it hosted some LPGA events in the 90 too. and there's a few Youngstown area courses I want to visit - Mill Creek & Kennsington.

Edited by DiscipleofPenick

Take Dead Aim

14 hours ago, Solon Golfer said:

Cleveland area Munis on my list:

Boulder Creek

Manakiki (Donald Ross design)

Sleepy Hollow

Valley of the Eagles

Did you just move to the area or are you just starting out? Sleepy & Manakiki just got put on a top 25 munis in the US list, so play them. Boulder is an awesome course, just play the right tees. Valley I've not played since the redesign, but I've heard mixed things. They lost 2 greens in the rain n over the summer so I think the course is having some issues growing in.

I grew up just east of Solon in Geauga, and now live on the near west side, always looking for local golfers to meet up.

Take Dead Aim

On 12/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, Solon Golfer said:

Cleveland area Munis on my list:

Boulder Creek

Manakiki (Donald Ross design)

Sleepy Hollow

Valley of the Eagles

Manakiki is an amazing old donald ross layout.  Valley eagles is a good course played it twice, has a few difficult holes.   Boulder has a the best layout in terms of difficulty but I feel the condition of the course went down this year, greens were brutal a few times i played it.   Sleepy i live down the street from, I feel its over rated but thats probably because i take it fore granted as I have such easy access to it and have played in many times.

On the east side try out fowler's mills and stonewater also.

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS (10.5º played as 9.5)
3W:  Cobra SZ tour (14º)
3-PW: Mizuno MP-20 HMB
52,56: Cobra MIM 

63 - Wilson Staff Model HT
Putter: EvnRoll ER-6
Ball: Pro V1
Arccos Tracking on all clubs

1 hour ago, Haggerty said:

Manakiki is an amazing old donald ross layout.  Valley eagles is a good course played it twice, has a few difficult holes.   Boulder has a the best layout in terms of difficulty but I feel the condition of the course went down this year, greens were brutal a few times i played it.   Sleepy i live down the street from, I feel its over rated but thats probably because i take it fore granted as I have such easy access to it and have played in many times.

On the east side try out fowler's mills and stonewater also.

Sleepy they just need to slow the greens down a little bit. There's no flat spot so even short putts can have a lot of break. I've been playing Seneca a lot more since the Metroparks took it over, much easier to get a morning tee time. I actually grew up near Fowler's, but I've only ever played it once, would go to Punderson & Chardon Lakes a ton as those courses were 1/3 the price 20 years ago. Fowler's was $60 and had to take a cart. I could walk the other Geauga courses for $25. 

Anyway I live on the near westside now, just a few minutes from Big Met, and I'm always looking for guys to meet up & play if you're interested.  

Take Dead Aim

• 4 weeks later...

If you have not tried the Quarry near Canton, put it on your list, www.quarrygolfclubggp.com/

Some other gems in this area:
Chippewa is very nice -www.chippewagolfclub.com You can rent Finn scooters, is a fun time for 3-4 holes then is meh
Zoar Golf, www.zoarvillagegolf.com great greens that can be very challenging. 

18 hours ago, TheJones said:

If you have not tried the Quarry near Canton, put it on your list, www.quarrygolfclubggp.com/

Some other gems in this area:
Chippewa is very nice -www.chippewagolfclub.com You can rent Finn scooters, is a fun time for 3-4 holes then is meh
Zoar Golf, www.zoarvillagegolf.com great greens that can be very challenging. 

The Quarry is on my list to finally play this year. 

Chippewa is fantastic conditions, but it has 4 of the worst designed greens I've ever seen and that keeps it from being one of the absolute top courses IMO.

Take Dead Aim

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in the Toledo area and played a lot of golf.  My Uncle, who taught me the game, was a member at Inverness so I got spoiled when I was young.  As I got older and had to pay for my own golf I found plenty of good courses in the area.  Some of my favorite courses are :  The Legacy, Whiteford Valley, Riverby, Tamaron, Stone Ridge, Ottawa Park, Maumee Bay Resort, Heather Downs, Detwiler, and Bedford Hills.  Also Belmont, Toledo CC, Highland Meadows, Sylvania CC, and Brandywine CC when I could get on.  I'll also give a shout out to Spuyten Duyval GC for the "most improved".  It used to be a 1-course dog track when I was a kid (we used to call it "Spit and Divot") but I was there a few years ago and they've expanded and improved quite a bit.   I also played a course with my dad and brother in law while I was visiting awhile back called Fallen Timbers and it was a decent track.  

Edited by TMAC