Is upgrading a Rogue Subzero worth it?

nprotz

I’m currently playing a Rogue Subzero 9* with a Project X Hazardous Yellow Stiff shaft.   I had thought about going to a Mavrik standard.  Any input on whether there would be any significant gain either in distance or performance?  I can trade and only be out about $50

I typically don’t venture too far off of the center of the club and have about a 265-270 yard carry. 

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 2019 Irons Dynamic Gold S400 
:taylormade-small: Sim Ti 3w 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70 
:titelist-small: ProV1X
:titelist-small: Bag

Hit them side by side on a launch monitor and compare the numbers. If there’s a difference and the subzero performs better. Based on that determine if the increased performance is worth the money.

Some people may see better numbers than others. Some may see worse and some may not see any difference 

When it comes to being worth an upgrade only the golfer can determine that themselves based on what they determine to be worth it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 3 weeks later...

I am always hesitant to get rid of something that is working. That being said, if you tend to be a club Ho, who changes things out regularly, $50 for a brand new driver is a nice cheap upgrade.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 8/5/2021 at 4:20 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Hit them side by side on a launch monitor and compare the numbers. If there’s a difference and the subzero performs better. Based on that determine if the increased performance is worth the money.

Some people may see better numbers than others. Some may see worse and some may not see any difference 

When it comes to being worth an upgrade only the golfer can determine that themselves based on what they determine to be worth it

This really says it all - 

It's tempting to say that it's only $50 but what it's actually not - it's $50 plus a club that you hit well.  What if you are someone who hits the older equipment better than the newer one?  I've certainly made that mistake and I suspect a number of others here have.  In fact, I made that mistake recently and it cost me $600, two driver worth and I'm still not certain that I've replicated the driver that I traded away in the first place.  And I was fit for the one that I traded up to but the reality didn't match the fit in that once I got the thing on the course my misses went from being primarily left (right side of the course eliminated) to equally distributed - never a good thing. 😞

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Most driver comparisons show little difference in distance between clubs. The key difference is forgiveness. I tried Sub Zero when I was looking for a new driver and found that it was less forgiving and did not feel as good at the standard Epic Flash. BTW I also tried the Mavrik and did not find it as good as the EF. This will always be a personal thing however.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 8/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Checkerfred said:

I’m currently playing a Rogue Subzero 9* with a Project X Hazardous Yellow Stiff shaft.   I had thought about going to a Mavrik standard.  Any input on whether there would be any significant gain either in distance or performance?  I can trade and only be out about $50

I typically don’t venture too far off of the center of the club and have about a 265-270 yard carry. 

not worth it....

Golf is cool