TESTERS WANTED! ×

$2000 Golf simulator

How are you defining si,ulator?   Are you including projector, net, mat, launch monitor, etc in your budget?   How much space do you have?   How lifelike do,you want the simulation?  Is recurring subscription for courses an issue?    Current best options are skytrack and mevo+.   Potential good options are R10 and the new Bushnell,  but since they haven’t been released they are a bit of an unknown.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Two month old thread, but, I'll take a stab at it just because I've been thinking of a similar project.  

Garmin Approach r10 599.00
Carls Place 8' x 8' x 5' DIY enclosure w/preferred screen 675.00
1" EMT for above 180.00
BenQ TH671ST projector 699.00
Perfect Reaction 4' x 5' hitting mat 235.00

8' x 8' might seem strange but this would occupy 1/2 of a two car garage.  Ceilings are about 11' but there's some shelves above where the enclosure would sit that would limit it's max height.

Any thoughts?

Edited by rsmallenberg
Thoughts about size weren't clear in original.

:titelist-small: TSi2 10
:titelist-small: TSi2 FW 15
:titelist-small: TSi2 H 18, 24
:titelist-small: T300 6-PW
:taylormade-small: MG3 50, 56, 60
:odyssey-small: OG 1
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact (brilliant red since the eyes aren't what they used to be)

22 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Since the OP only had one post joined in August and hasn't visited since later in the same month I'm sure this is dead. At least from his stand point. However still a good topic to discuss.

I'm a bargain hunter. I look for ebay auctions to end at off hours. So even though the OP wanted to see the ball data not the bottom of the club I have a fix for that with my system. First consider how much time you are going to spend on the simulator versus actual playing out on a course. For me it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 months. So why would I invest thousands? Remember all this was ebay auction new closing at off hours unless noted. I just set an alarm.

Optishot 2 is my sim system $250

Projector $200 off brand but specs were same as BenQ. 

Projector ceiling mount $15.00

Cage frame PVC pieces from Lowes. $25

Netting from a commercial fish net manufacturer $60

Bungie cords $7.00 Walmart camping section.

Canvas painters drop cloth $15 from Lowes  This hangs against the net and inside the cage (Deadens impact and bounce back)

King size white sheet from Walmart. $10.00  (my simulator screen)

Black out material to go on the outside of the cage. $10.00 Lowes weed block fabric. 

Mevo This is where I can see ball data. I got this for free in a golf tournament.  (Value $500)

Computer to run the sim. I got this for free as well. My company gives away their old engineering computers when we change out every four years. Just had to purchase a hard drive. $25.00 I currently have a small line going across the screen from I think the graphics card because movies play fine. Who knows but I already have another free computer ready to take it's place. 

Stance platform, wood frame free. I had a bunch of 2x4's and plywood laying around. Indoor outdoor carpet from Lowes $20.00

Foam gym floor mat for under the carpet on the hitting mat. $15.00

So I was all in at under $750.00 and since I am handy it just took a little time to build the frame and platform. 

Simulator.jpg.ff1408e154a8c696e4f73600a94930d0.jpg

Now this is a DIY LM studio that Red Green himself would applaud; nicely done Tom and thanks for the details 👏.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

@Tom the Golf Nut So you have the net then then the sheet then the canvas drop cloth, or a different order? 

That PVC will cost a bit more these days....been shopping for plumbing supplies for the garage apartment and OMG - 10' stick of 3" is $29  😱 ....  fittings are just as crazy !!!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

9 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

@Tom the Golf Nut So you have the net then then the sheet then the canvas drop cloth, or a different order? 

That PVC will cost a bit more these days....been shopping for plumbing supplies for the garage apartment and OMG - 10' stick of 3" is $29  😱 ....  fittings are just as crazy !!!

I have the net, then the canvas drop cloth, then the sheet for the projector to send a good image to. The canvas drop cloth is an off white so the image was dull against it. I have a garage door with windows about a foot behind the net. So the net is tight and I would get to much bounce back. The drop cloth fixed it. Best part is if the sheet gets dirty,  just toss it in the wash.

I used 1" PVC with fittings. I had some of the PVC connectors laying around the work shop. I think I only needed to purchase 3 sticks because I had a couple.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in following this as well. 

My goal is to get a Mevo+ one day... Also having the extra room/space to do it is a dream too i guess. Being a Lefty, we have limited options for hitting and not changing the settings like on a Skytrak

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

5 hours ago, pinskeer2 said:

I have done quite a bit of research regarding golf sims and if you do find a good set up for $2,000.00, Let me know! There seems to be a huge gap from an OptiShot 2 to the next level sim. I would love a good sim in that price range. We are happy with our Opti for under $500

If you get the original Mevo and place it behind your swing area on the OptiShot you now get all the data you need. Still way under the $2000 number. I was fortunate enough to be given a MEVO for free from someone who won it in a golf tournament and didn't care about golf enough to use it. Win win for me!

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 1:19 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If you get the original Mevo and place it behind your swing area on the OptiShot you now get all the data you need. Still way under the $2000 number. I was fortunate enough to be given a MEVO for free from someone who won it in a golf tournament and didn't care about golf enough to use it. Win win for me!

The OptiShot video stated that it has issues with drivers (presumably due to height off mat?).  Is this the case?  If so, that would be a big con for me. The fore and aft floor cameras are and interesting approach but I'd be concerned about letting a non-golfer (or really bad golfer) hit 😬.  Have any of you that use this system compared its accuracy to other systems?

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The OptiShot video stated that it has issues with drivers (presumably due to height off mat?).  Is this the case?  If so, that would be a big con for me. The fore and aft floor cameras are and interesting approach but I'd be concerned about letting a non-golfer (or really bad golfer) hit 😬.  Have any of you that use this system compared its accuracy to other systems?

The optishot2  has issues with dark club bottoms. It won't pick them up on the light sensors. I keep a roll of white electrical tape by the sim. I put a length on the sole of the driver along the length of the club face. Ihave no issues at all with the driver. I even replaced the hitting pad with a thicker one and don't have issues.

Saying this, lighting is important. I mounted a can light in the celing right over the hitting pad. Then I put a length of drainage pipe on it the make a smaller spot light. This way it didn't interfere with the projector lighting.

Give me a minute and I'll go down and take a picture or two.

IMG_1999.jpg.89f7732bac82bcbd4ca70e8652bbd849.jpg

I just keep this driver taped all the time as it doesn't make it out on the course anymore. 

IMG_1998.jpg.1509c35f065b4d6fb4b8be578589ea1f.jpg

The replacment turf is 1 inch thick and can take real tees. Easier on the hands. The original is 1/4 inch thick and hitting down into the ball kinda hurt. It forced you to be a picker which I didn’t want. Building the Optishot into the platform put everything at the same height.

IMG_1997.jpg.015087e70ac83e7d752d95b29ee965fd.jpg

Tube attached to the light to give a spot light effect. You must use a florescent bulb according to Optishot. This way it won't mess with the sensors. I haven't tried an LED Bulb to see what that may do. I know incandescent messes up the data.

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

IMG_1999.jpg.89f7732bac82bcbd4ca70e8652bbd849.jpg

I just keep this driver taped all the time as it doesn't make it out on the course anymore. 

IMG_1998.jpg.1509c35f065b4d6fb4b8be578589ea1f.jpg

The replacment turf is 1 inch thick and can take real tees. Easier on the hands. The original is 1/4 inch thick and hitting down into the ball kinda hurt. It forced you to be a picker which I didn’t want. Building the Optishot into the platform put everything at the same height.

IMG_1997.jpg.015087e70ac83e7d752d95b29ee965fd.jpg

Tube attached to the light to give a spot light effect. You must use a florescent bulb according to Optishot. This way it won't mess with the sensors. I haven't tried an LED Bulb to see what that may do. I know incandescent messes up the data.

Awesome Tom, thanks for the added details.  The one advantage I see with the OptiShot system, besides price, is that like GCQuad, GC3 it does not require the rather lengthy position behind the ball so the needed overall hitting bay length can be shorter.  Of course, the downside is that it is not portable for range use. The other system that has my attention is the Garmin R10.  Lot's of options out there and some pretty good H2H video reviews on YouTube.

I took my backup driver covered the bottom with blue painters tape. I then took about a 4 inch strip of the aluminum tape they use on ductwork and put it on the edge of the driver. My driver readings improved significantly on my Optishot. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Awesome Tom, thanks for the added details.  The one advantage I see with the OptiShot system, besides price, is that like GCQuad, GC3 it does not require the rather lengthy position behind the ball so the needed overall hitting bay length can be shorter.  Of course, the downside is that it is not portable for range use. The other system that has my attention is the Garmin R10.  Lot's of options out there and some pretty good H2H video reviews on YouTube.

Just be sure to take into consideration how often your going to use any system. For me Optishot2 is only used in the end of January and February as its to cold to play. Then the ocassional rainy day or wanting to work on something.  So justifying spending a lot more on a better system didn't make sense. Add the fact that I have a Mevo for more ball info or range use and I have what I need. 

My course is only 2 miles up the road and I rather play and practice for real whenI can.

• 7 months later...

Can you share the name/brand of the projector that you are using?  I know you said it's off brand.

• Driver:  TaylorMade M6
  • 3 Wood:  TaylorMade M2
  • Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3/4
  • Irons:  Callaway X2 Hot 5-PW - True Temper Speed Step 85 R-Flex Shaft
  • S Wedge:  TaylorMade ATV 50* - KBS FST Shaft
  • 60*/56* Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft
  • Putter:  TaylorMade Spider X
  • Ball:  Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone mention this Projector  on reddit in r/golfsimulator today,  $108.00. They say it's very usable. Great price for an intro projector. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

@Tom the Golf Nut. Where did you get the ball dispenser?  That's a great idea to add to a sim! 

SmartSelect_20230122_183357_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, TheOther1 said:

@Tom the Golf Nut. Where did you get the ball dispenser?  That's a great idea to add to a sim! 

SmartSelect_20230122_183357_Chrome.jpg

I had an old shag bag I won about 20 years ago. I took off the tube from the bag. It also had the foot dispenser as an additional piece with a stake to put in the ground. Took all the attachments off the shag bag. The next part took a while. I had to eat the contents of the can. It was a can of Planters Peanuts from Sams Club. Spray painted it blue. Cut a hole in the bottom and attached the tubing. There is a large nut in the shag bag to attach the tube. I reused it in the can. Cut a hole in the plastic lid. Cut a hole in a 2×6 to match the lower tube. Covered the 2x6 with carpet and cut out the section for the tube.

And there you have it. From old crap to a ball dispenser for the simulator. It holds over 3 dozen balls. This is what it looked like. Its still available new on ebay or Amazon for about $40.00. Its made by Wilson.

image.png.3a16e34f004ed90bf4f09adfbf8a2bb4.png

12 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The next part took a while. I had to eat the contents of the can. It was a can of Planters Peanuts from Sams Club.

We all have to sacrifice for our game!  🙂

Thanks for the explanation, very ingenious!