So. The pitch shot.  My forte, or used to be anyways.  I think I’ve found my old technique that was cash money.  Been hitting some nice crispy ones, makes me want to build my own pitch and putt course…

What technique do you use?

are you a Jason Day style “dead handed” pitch shot player?

Seve’s soft touch?

Strickers wide arc?

PhiL’s airborne attack?

Discuss…

I follow the swing and hope technique.  Not sure what pro that is associated with.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I follow the swing and hope technique.  Not sure what pro that is associated with.  

I was just giving some examples, but I’ve seen some interesting styles in my years... the flip wrist thinned ones are my favorite to listen to.  The commentary is amazing.  I was using yours just the other day.  Had the thought that I was going to Hosel everything…. Makes for an interesting day, everything was left of target…

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I was just giving some examples, but I’ve seen some interesting styles in my years... the flip wrist thinned ones are my favorite to listen to.  The commentary is amazing.  I was using yours just the other day.  Had the thought that I was going to Hosel everything…. Makes for an interesting day, everything was left of target…

I am actually more Stricker; minimal wrist bend, don’t manipulate the face very much and turn through the ball.   

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

BAD comes to mind.  

I was actually a little Stricker-like as well, but since I have been using the PlaneMate, I have a little more wrist in the shot and a lot higher launch which I like.  However, now I have to make some adjustments.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Use the bounce 2.0 method. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My pro has got me starting to use the Stricker method. At least for 20-50 yard shots. Here's what he's got me doing.

All the weight on front foot

Minimal forward press

Only take the club back about waist high. Then on the downswing, don't try to accelerate, just let gravity do it's thing. There's not any turn on the shorter shots and only a little bit on max distance.

I've also been working on getting the club on plane & finishing at the target. The 50 yard shots are a fantastic way to develop this feeling for the full swing. It's become part of my warm-up routine.

Edited by DiscipleofPenick

Take Dead Aim

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 32"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

My pro has got me starting to use the Stricter method. At least for 20-50 yard shots. Here's what he's got me doing.

All the weight on front foot

Minimal forward press

Only take the club back about waist high. Then on the downswing, don't try to accelerate, just let gravity do it's thing. There's not any turn on the shorter shots and only a little bit on max distance.

I've also been working on getting the club on plane & finishing at the target. The 50 yard shots are a fantastic way to develop this feeling for the full swing. It's become part of my warm-up routine.

Interesting you say there no turn because stricker has turn. The turn in his backswing matches the length of his turn and he turns thru the ball to a finish

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting you say there no turn because stricker has turn. The turn in his backswing matches the length of his turn and he turns thru the ball to a finish

I guess I need to watch a video then. I mean there's a little shoulder turn, just not the lower body.

Take Dead Aim

Just now, DiscipleofPenick said:

I guess I need to watch a video then. I mean there's a little shoulder turn, just not the lower body.

Stricker on his left arm parallel has upper and lower body turn. It’s not a full swing turn because he’s not making a full swing but it’s basically also 3/4 turn. 

Even in a shot that’s going to be shaft parallel will have some turn. It will be about half the amount of shoulder turn

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Stricker on his left arm parallel has upper and lower body turn. It’s not a full swing turn because he’s not making a full swing but it’s basically also 3/4 turn. 

Even in a shot that’s going to be shaft parallel will have some turn. It will be about half the amount of shoulder turn

Then what the heck is he having me do??? I mean it's working, so not freaking out, but he said like Stricker.

Take Dead Aim

11 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Then what the heck is he having me do??? I mean it's working, so not freaking out, but he said like Stricker.

I don’t know and if it’s working don’t change. I was just commenting on the no turn part as be an interesting thought when comparing to a pro golfer who has turn.

here’s a short pitch shot from stricker. You can see the hips rotate

• Like 1

I keep it simple. Feels like I’m slicing the ball with a wedge.  My hips rotate 

My rhythm pitch shot feels like green side bunker shot except I lock my hips and purposely hit fat 

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know and if it’s working don’t change. I was just commenting on the no turn part as be an interesting thought when comparing to a pro golfer who has turn.

here’s a short pitch shot from stricker. You can see the hips rotate

Yep, that's the same move I'm doing.

Take Dead Aim

22 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Yep, that's the same move I'm doing.

So you do have some rotation which matches amount of turn, it’s him just not a lot turn 

• Like 1

Mickelson - hinge and hold. 

• Driver: :ping-small: G400 MAX
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: F7 Hybrid AD DI 95s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

I might upgrade my pitch shots with those T-22 copper wedges.  Wife absolutely loves the way they look… + … forged + …. Not chrome +… the way I see it that’s 3 +’s for 3 new wedges.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Mickelson - hinge and hold. 

I love Phil's videos on this, and I tried it for a week.  I just can't do it.  Stricker's motion fits me better.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I might upgrade my pitch shots with those T-22 copper wedges.  Wife absolutely loves the way they look… + … forged + …. Not chrome +… the way I see it that’s 3 +’s for 3 new wedges.

Ahhh, it's the copper look; sorta like the TaylorMade Hi-Toe wedge you loved... for awhile.   🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Ahhh, it's the copper look; sorta like the TaylorMade Hi-Toe wedge you loved... for awhile.   🤣

A while?!  More like 3 days.  Haha.

• Haha 1