TESTERS WANTED! ×

So. The pitch shot.  My forte, or used to be anyways.  I think I’ve found my old technique that was cash money.  Been hitting some nice crispy ones, makes me want to build my own pitch and putt course…

What technique do you use?

are you a Jason Day style “dead handed” pitch shot player?

Seve’s soft touch?

Strickers wide arc?

PhiL’s airborne attack?

Discuss…

I follow the swing and hope technique.  Not sure what pro that is associated with.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I follow the swing and hope technique.  Not sure what pro that is associated with.  

I was just giving some examples, but I’ve seen some interesting styles in my years... the flip wrist thinned ones are my favorite to listen to.  The commentary is amazing.  I was using yours just the other day.  Had the thought that I was going to Hosel everything…. Makes for an interesting day, everything was left of target…

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I was just giving some examples, but I’ve seen some interesting styles in my years... the flip wrist thinned ones are my favorite to listen to.  The commentary is amazing.  I was using yours just the other day.  Had the thought that I was going to Hosel everything…. Makes for an interesting day, everything was left of target…

I am actually more Stricker; minimal wrist bend, don’t manipulate the face very much and turn through the ball.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

BAD comes to mind.  

I was actually a little Stricker-like as well, but since I have been using the PlaneMate, I have a little more wrist in the shot and a lot higher launch which I like.  However, now I have to make some adjustments.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Use the bounce 2.0 method. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My pro has got me starting to use the Stricker method. At least for 20-50 yard shots. Here's what he's got me doing.

All the weight on front foot

Minimal forward press

Only take the club back about waist high. Then on the downswing, don't try to accelerate, just let gravity do it's thing. There's not any turn on the shorter shots and only a little bit on max distance.

I've also been working on getting the club on plane & finishing at the target. The 50 yard shots are a fantastic way to develop this feeling for the full swing. It's become part of my warm-up routine.

Edited by DiscipleofPenick

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

My pro has got me starting to use the Stricter method. At least for 20-50 yard shots. Here's what he's got me doing.

All the weight on front foot

Minimal forward press

Only take the club back about waist high. Then on the downswing, don't try to accelerate, just let gravity do it's thing. There's not any turn on the shorter shots and only a little bit on max distance.

I've also been working on getting the club on plane & finishing at the target. The 50 yard shots are a fantastic way to develop this feeling for the full swing. It's become part of my warm-up routine.

Interesting you say there no turn because stricker has turn. The turn in his backswing matches the length of his turn and he turns thru the ball to a finish

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting you say there no turn because stricker has turn. The turn in his backswing matches the length of his turn and he turns thru the ball to a finish

I guess I need to watch a video then. I mean there's a little shoulder turn, just not the lower body.

Take Dead Aim

Just now, DiscipleofPenick said:

I guess I need to watch a video then. I mean there's a little shoulder turn, just not the lower body.

Stricker on his left arm parallel has upper and lower body turn. It’s not a full swing turn because he’s not making a full swing but it’s basically also 3/4 turn. 

Even in a shot that’s going to be shaft parallel will have some turn. It will be about half the amount of shoulder turn

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Stricker on his left arm parallel has upper and lower body turn. It’s not a full swing turn because he’s not making a full swing but it’s basically also 3/4 turn. 

Even in a shot that’s going to be shaft parallel will have some turn. It will be about half the amount of shoulder turn

Then what the heck is he having me do??? I mean it's working, so not freaking out, but he said like Stricker.

Take Dead Aim

11 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Then what the heck is he having me do??? I mean it's working, so not freaking out, but he said like Stricker.

I don’t know and if it’s working don’t change. I was just commenting on the no turn part as be an interesting thought when comparing to a pro golfer who has turn.

here’s a short pitch shot from stricker. You can see the hips rotate

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know and if it’s working don’t change. I was just commenting on the no turn part as be an interesting thought when comparing to a pro golfer who has turn.

here’s a short pitch shot from stricker. You can see the hips rotate

Yep, that's the same move I'm doing.

Take Dead Aim

22 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Yep, that's the same move I'm doing.

So you do have some rotation which matches amount of turn, it’s him just not a lot turn 

Mickelson - hinge and hold. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I might upgrade my pitch shots with those T-22 copper wedges.  Wife absolutely loves the way they look… + … forged + …. Not chrome +… the way I see it that’s 3 +’s for 3 new wedges.

Ahhh, it's the copper look; sorta like the TaylorMade Hi-Toe wedge you loved... for awhile.   🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's been mentioned already, but a minimal wrist bend approach focusing on using the body to turn and control the clubface has been what I've been working on.  I'd recommend looking at a PlaneMate and the introductory protocols for anyone struggling with this.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

57 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

It's been mentioned already, but a minimal wrist bend approach focusing on using the body to turn and control the clubface has been what I've been working on.  I'd recommend looking at a PlaneMate and the introductory protocols for anyone struggling with this.

What is the benefit of this approach?  I use it often, the no wrist action…. 

But I’ve been working on some fluidity in the pitch shots, which is leading to more spin, more accurate shots, and less frustration.  😂

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

What is the benefit of this approach?  I use it often, the no wrist action…. 

But I’ve been working on some fluidity in the pitch shots, which is leading to more spin, more accurate shots, and less frustration.  😂

I'm sure other's will chime in here, and I'm not saying it's the only "right" approach obviously, but Martin Chuck (guy behind the PlaneMate) often emphasizes the use of the body to control the clubface rather than a hands and arms motion, and you can see that emphasis in the PlaneMate and SmartBall training aids.  The thinking, I believe, is that it's a lot more consistent delivery of the club than a more variable and timing-dependent approach that relies on hands/wrist action.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Just now, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm sure other's will chime in here, and I'm not saying it's the only "right" approach obviously, but Martin Chuck (guy behind the PlaneMate) often emphasizes the use of the body to control the clubface rather than a hands and arms motion, and you can see that emphasis in the PlaneMate and SmartBall training aids.  The thinking, I believe, is that it's a lot more consistent delivery of the club than a more variable and timing-dependent approach that relies on hands/wrist action.

I hear you.  I really messed myself up trying to use this approach full time.  I still do, but it is for less spin, and only like 50 and in.  

seems odd, but I think I have a harder time keeping everything going the same direction with just a body turn.  I always had a bit of wrist in my swing, timed it well.  Then, you know.  You see something, give it a try and then off the deep end you go.