TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno caught red handed! Anyone else have recent build issues?

Hey fellow MyGolfSpyers!

I wanted to share a quick story from a longtime golfing friend of mine.  He recently got fitted earlier this year for new Mizuno JPX 921 Tour irons with KBS C Taper Lite shafts.  He waited (like everyone this year) quite a long time to finally get his clubs, but his gap wedge came even later.  Finally after a total of 12 weeks, he got his gap wedge sent to him.  The last few weeks he felt like his gap wedge was going right, too high, etc...something felt wrong.  He went back to his fitter and the launch monitor even showed odd numbers.  When he removed the grip (picture shown), it appears Mizuno had cut down an 8 iron shaft for his gap wedge!  You can see clearly in the picture its a KBS shaft listed for an 8 iron, from my understanding KBS makes a shaft specifically for each club.

I share this as a free warning to carefully inspect your new clubs that you order!  Factory mistake or not....definitely not what he expected to get from a company like Mizuno!

Thanks for reading!  Now go hit'um straight!!  

IMG-0916.jpg

• Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Mitsubishi AV Raw White 65g Stiff
  • 3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback Hzrdus Smoke X-Stiff
  • Hybrid:  :titelist-small: 816H2 3H
  • Irons:  :Sub70: 699 Combo: 4 & 5 699, 6-AW 699 Pros S300 Stiff
  • Wedges:  :Sub70: 286 Forged 54 & 58
  • Putter: :odyssey-small: Tank 7
  • Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star

Yep, probably couldn't get the gap wedge shaft from KBS so they made a "spinner" shaft buy putting in an 8 iron shaft. I'm sure they expected that no one would know the difference. 

That's 100% why I build all my own stuff, can't trust anyone else to do it right. 

My bag is a revolving door!

You didn’t say if this was Mizuno that did this or the fitter/club builder.  8 irons as a wedge shaft isnt necessarily “wrong” and has even been suggested by KBS as as good wedge shaft option.  That said, the shaft selection should have been communicated especially if it was different than what was ordered.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My current Edel wedges were built with 8 iron shafts.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

You didn’t say if this was Mizuno that did this or the fitter/club builder.  8 irons as a wedge shaft isnt necessarily “wrong” and has even been suggested by KBS as as good wedge shaft option.  That said, the shaft selection should have been communicated especially if it was different than what was ordered.  

And have seen 9i shafts in pw. 

Agree there’s some details being left out here and maybe a little over hyped title

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Appreciate the updates and insights here! (Why I wanted to ask about other build “issues”) These were ordered directly from the Mizuno and their factory, the fitter was shocked as much as my buddy seeing the 8i shaft in there (or at least the fitter acted that way). The fitter called his Mizuno sales rep to get it corrected, so he is not building them.  

I will say Mizuno has had quality issues you don't normally see from them.  I ordered a ST_Z Driver for a customer with a 5.5 Evenflow shaft, he has a 92 mph swing.   The club came and he took it straight from the box to the course without really looking at anything--he's not a club nerd..ha.    He came in to me the next day and said he thought something was wrong, and asked if this shaft was the correct one.    I looked at it and it was an XS at 85G.  I mean this thng was a piece of rebar.  I said, I bet you were hitting everything low and right?    He said, "oh my gosh, how did you know"    LOL

I told him who this shaft was meant for and he asked how that could happen 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I will say Mizuno has had quality issues you don't normally see from them.  I ordered a ST_Z Driver for a customer with a 5.5 Evenflow shaft, he has a 92 mph swing.   The club came and he took it straight from the box to the course without really looking at anything--he's not a club nerd..ha.    He came in to me the next day and said he thought something was wrong, and asked if this shaft was the correct one.    I looked at it and it was an XS at 85G.  I mean this thng was a piece of rebar.  I said, I bet you were hitting everything low and right?    He said, "oh my gosh, how did you know"    LOL

I told him who this shaft was meant for and he asked how that could happen 🙂

85 gram XS shaft in a driver is meant for no one...

... except @Chip Strokes 😀

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

This.  Just let the customer know about it as I suspect the vast majority, having heard directly from the OEM, would be fine with the change/option.  It's otherwise viewed as a "hey, you tried to slip something past me", leaving one to wonder what else might not be as expected.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

25 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This.  Just let the customer know about it as I suspect the vast majority, having heard directly from the OEM, would be fine with the change/option.  It's otherwise viewed as a "hey, you tried to slip something past me", leaving one to wonder what else might not be as expected.

Exactly!  and not what he ordered or was fitted for either.  He could tell when the gap wedge was ballooning like a 60 degree wedge.

28 minutes ago, Lenge13 said:

Exactly!  and not what he ordered or was fitted for either.  He could tell when the gap wedge was ballooning like a 60 degree wedge.

It’s not like Mizuno purposely tried to sneak something by. 1) mistakes happen 2) in the current climate it’s even more likely. The chances of any ill intent by Mizuno are slim

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Noob question - I was under the impression most iron shafts are similar shafts that are tipped and butt trimmed at different lengths to get desired shaft/characteristics for each individual iron. But it sounds like OEMs like KBS creates specific shafts for each iron?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

31 minutes ago, TBS said:

Noob question - I was under the impression most iron shafts are similar shafts that are tipped and butt trimmed at different lengths to get desired shaft/characteristics for each individual iron. But it sounds like OEMs like KBS creates specific shafts for each iron?

0.370" Parallel tip shafts are tip and butt cut to different specs for each iron but each shaft is manufactured exactly the same.  I don't have good numbers, but I'd say that less than half of all irons out there actually use parallel tip shafts.  Most use 0.355" taper tip shafts and since they taper over the full length (no parallel section) you can't tip trim them and have them fit properly in the hosel.  Thus each shaft has to be manufactured differently depending on what club it is going into so that you get the flight you want while still maintaining the same diameter at the tip.  You can also mess with the ball flight and feel by using a shaft meant for a different iron (ie a 7 iron shaft into an 8 iron).  This would be hard stepping or soft stepping depending on which way you go.

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

85 gram XS shaft in a driver is meant for no one...

... except @Chip Strokes 😀

I mean I wasn't tagged but I feel like I'm being singled out right now

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I can only speak to my recent experience with mixing and my irons. I purchased the JPX 921 hot metals and white it took longer that I wanted they were built to spec. The wait time was par for the course for this year. I highly doubt mixing is the only one with problems. I have a friend whose TM sim irons are coming apart with the epoxy going bad. Mistakes happen, I imagined just like every other industry they are extremely short staffed and busy

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

To be fair, maybe tell us what Mizuno said in response? I've had nothing but great experiences with Mizuno myself.

And when I had my irons reshafted this Spring, the club maker ordered 39.5" 4i, 39" 5i, 38.5" 6i, 38" 7i, 37.5" 8i and 3x37" 9i-PW-GW - so that's not unheard of. If you look at the specs from shaft manufacturers, they often stop at a 9i length, and that shaft is used for any and all wedges - if the buyer isn't getting wedge specific shafts.

The title is unfair given you haven't shared what Mizuno's response was...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Not excusing this at all but I tend to doubt the change was having that much of an effect of flight. I would, however, double check lies as my MP-20s came in (I ordered 2* upright) with standard lies. But the T20 47* I ordered was correct. I've never really had issues before this set with them.

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05

:titelist-small: 917 F3 15* VA Drago 75-X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MB 3-9 PX 6.5, T20 47* PX 6.5

:titelist-small: SM7 54-10S/60-08M PX 6.5/6.0

:titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

• 2 months later...

My QC issue with Mizuno was on loft/lie. I ordered std lofts and 2 degrees upright. All lofts were off basically by 1 degree, but lie angle was all over the map. Crazy!

image.png.fcc74c2a2431308c877a2bc1fc9242b6.png

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

4 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

My QC issue with Mizuno was on loft/lie. I ordered std lofts and 2 degrees upright. All lofts were off basically by 1 degree, but lie angle was all over the map. Crazy!

image.png.fcc74c2a2431308c877a2bc1fc9242b6.png

That’s within manufacturer tolerances for pretty much every company. 

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Understood...would be nice if Mizuno would send a QC sheet w the iron delivery showing what the measured specs are post-build for custom orders. Makes me question if they are doing QC post-build. 

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And you have to consider the calibration of the loft/lie machine too.   The 7 iron does seem to be out of a normal tolerance for lie angle.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Understood...would be nice if Mizuno would send a QC sheet w the iron delivery showing what the measured specs are post-build for custom orders. Makes me question if they are doing QC post-build. 

I don’t know if any company that sends a qc sheet. I would be surprised if they weren’t doing any qc despite the large volume of orders they have like everyone else right now but the purpose of tolerances is that if they put it on a machine and it’s within the specs typically 2-3* for loft and lie then they are going to ship it and not adjust for it.

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

And you have to consider the calibration of the loft/lie machine too.   The 7 iron does seem to be out of a normal tolerance for lie angle.  

Yeah based on what most companies have for tolerance it’s .5 outside of the 2-3* tolerance

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah based on what most companies have for tolerance it’s .5 outside of the 2-3* tolerance

At 5.5* off it is 2.5* outside of tolerances.  

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know if any company that sends a qc sheet. I would be surprised if they weren’t doing any qc despite the large volume of orders they have like everyone else right now but the purpose of tolerances is that if they put it on a machine and it’s within the specs typically 2-3* for loft and lie then they are going to ship it and not adjust for it.

I still have a QC sheet from Titleist when I ordered the 990's back in 2000. Was signed by a QC staff and included pen markings on each loft/lie checked and handwritten swingweight for each iron. Going forward, will make sure I get orders shipped to retailer where I bought them and have them check before I take 'em home = peace or mind 🙂

... I have not visited Mizuno's plant but did visit the Tour Edge plant in the Chicago suburbs. They have an interesting inventory control feature where every club is build one at a time. If buying a full set, each piece is picked out and put in a cart for assembly. They use a hand held device that reads the bar code and gives a green light if correct or red light if incorrect. If the light is red they can't go to another piece until the light turns green for the right piece. So if a pw shaft is needed and they try and use an 8 iron shaft the light will be red and the device frozen until it reads the correct pw shaft in the right flex and style so even choosing a Modus 105 instead of a Modus 950GH will produce a red light. It is as close to a full proof system as you can get. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

At 5.5* off it is 2.5* outside of tolerances.  

From an order standpoint yes but what people don’t realize is that most companies will try to meet customized specs and don’t guarantee them, especially in this current time of volume and short staffing. While it sux that’s how things are currently.

The 58 is only 3.5* off standard lie. 

16 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I still have a QC sheet from Titleist when I ordered the 990's back in 2000. Was signed by a QC staff and included pen markings on each loft/lie checked and handwritten swingweight for each iron. Going forward, will make sure I get orders shipped to retailer where I bought them and have them check before I take 'em home = peace or mind 🙂

Comparing what a company did 21 years ago to what happens now doesn’t make sense. I’ve order directly from brands like titleist, Pxg, TaylorMade, mizuno and Srixon and have never received a qc sheet in the last 15 years.

Ordering thru a retailer or small pro shop and having them checked is what pretty much everyone recommends people do. 

I don’t get mine checked immediately unless I see something is drastically off like I had happen with my sm7 50 and 54. Which were both weaker by 2 and 2.5*

Mizuno QC at about the 6 minute mark...1*tolerance 

5 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Mizuno QC at about the 6 minute mark...1*tolerance 

How does you loft lie machine compare to theirs?   There is a tolerance for the machines as well. If yours reads 1 degree flat and theirs 1 degree upright there is a 2 degree difference.    Not saying that they shouldn’t meet your specs but there are a lot of tolerances to deal with.  

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

How does you loft lie machine compare to theirs?   There is a tolerance for the machines as well. If yours reads 1 degree flat and theirs 1 degree upright there is a 2 degree difference.    Not saying that they shouldn’t meet your specs but there are a lot of tolerances to deal with.  

If the loft/lie machine is properly secured and installed on a level surface there should be no "tolerance".  An angle is an angle.  If a loft/lie machine is off it's user error.  Either from being installed incorrectly or not securing the club in the machine correctly.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

15 minutes ago, CRW said:

If the loft/lie machine is properly secured and installed on a level surface there should be no "tolerance".  An angle is an angle.  If a loft/lie machine is off it's user error.  Either from being installed incorrectly or not securing the club in the machine correctly.  

... Fwiw, most loft lie machines do not have a slot or any other device to make sure every iron is secured in an identical fashion. I am very meticulous and use a Mitchel Tour LL Machine but I can routinely get a different reading on the same club when I bend a set, then after I am done go back and double check every iron. Being off 1* is pretty normal and I make adjustments. While you are correct and an angle is an angle, it is not an exact science and 2 different LL Machines can easily give you 2 different readings because they do not secure the head the same from machine to machine let alone the first or second time installing the same head in the same machine. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour