TESTERS WANTED! ×

Reshaft or add extensions ?

Sparkey67

Earlier this year I built a set of Maltby TS-1 irons, 4 thru gap wedge using FST Pro 115 irons.  I tip trimmed them starting at stiff + .25" up to X flex in the wedges.

I really like the setup as I'm back to hitting my 7 iron 160 yards.  My problem is I tend to hit them thin on occasion.  I originally trimmed them to 37" 7 iron length with a 5/8" difference going up and 3/8" on down to my wedges.

So here is the dilemma: Do I buy 8 new FST PRO 115 shafts or add extensions to the existing set ?

Is one way better than the other ?  Would extensions screw up my swing weights?

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

16 minutes ago, liermann.mark said:

Earlier this year I built a set of Maltby TS-1 irons, 4 thru gap wedge using FST Pro 115 irons.  I tip trimmed them starting at stiff + .25" up to X flex in the wedges.

I really like the setup as I'm back to hitting my 7 iron 160 yards.  My problem is I tend to hit them thin on occasion.  I originally trimmed them to 37" 7 iron length with a 5/8" difference going up and 3/8" on down to my wedges.

So here is the dilemma: Do I buy 8 new FST PRO 115 shafts or add extensions to the existing set ?

Is one way better than the other ?  Would extensions screw up my swing weights?

Extensions would change the swing weight, not sure how you define “mess up”.  New shafts would also change the swing weight but not as much since the part of the extension in the shaft adds more weight to the butt end.  

Why do you think the thin shots are related to the club length and not your swing?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to play one length cobra f8's that were all 37.5" graphite.

When I went back to regular clubs I built them at standard length for steel ( 37" ) for the 7 iron and it sometimes feels like I have to reach to strike the ball properly or bend at the waist more than feels comfortable.

Edited by liermann.mark
  • Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

Extensions of 1" add 6 grams of weight beyond a new shaft 1" long. I've done it both ways, hence knowing the weight difference. It does change swingweight based on that but it's not significant. This was done with 115 g shafts.

I couldn't tell the difference and the extensions helped the contact. (For me)