Jump to content

Horrible fitting experience - need shaft help!!


Tsecor
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

weight is good and the shaft feel "active" but i havent gained anything with the fitting...its nothing new, nothing optimized and its just the same old borg data ive had for the last 5 years

 

35 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

7 iron was 160.2 yard average...42 degree decent but launch angle was 24 on average which i thought was high.....88.7 mph swing speed...

 

yes, not the tour van fitting....

 

i do not feel i gained anythng from the fitting or optimized anything....its basically the same as what ive always done....

Why would you order new irons if the numbers were all the same? Unless you were switching from steel to graphite to try and reduce joint pain. 

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H and sometimes 5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

7 iron was 160.2 yard average...42 degree decent but launch angle was 24 on average which i thought was high.....88.7 mph swing speed.

What was your average spin?  For you to have a launch angle that high, but a land angle that low - something is a bit off.   

I don't know much about your swing, but agree that the LZ shaft is usually for folks looking for a bit more height so it's odd that you would get fit into that.  Also, 89 mph swing speed on a 7 iron is pretty good.  I'm surprised that your yardage was just 160 - what type of smash factor did you have on average?

  • Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

7 iron was 160.2 yard average...42 degree decent but launch angle was 24 on average which i thought was high.....88.7 mph swing speed...

 

yes, not the tour van fitting....

 

i do not feel i gained anythng from the fitting or optimized anything....its basically the same as what ive always done....

It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at numbers but the launch for your speed is probably 5* too high..iirc around 18 is optimal and your land angle right on the border..iirc 41-47* is optimal for that speed.

That’s the one thing about irons in back to back releases, most won’t see an anything significant or what most would consider worth an upgrade. In my ole range session the the 100-s they didn’t seem to do anything better in ball flight than the last iteration. They are on top of my list with the p790 for getting added to the collection but if I had the 100 or 100-s from last release already I wouldn’t upgrade.

Not sure what other fitters you have around you but maybe cancel and go somewhere else and see what happens 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, BMart519 said:

 

Why would you order new irons if the numbers were all the same? Unless you were switching from steel to graphite to try and reduce joint pain. 

im asking myself that right now....but the shiny new irons have me acting like a zombie

  • Haha 2

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, juspoole said:

What was your average spin?  For you to have a launch angle that high, but a land angle that low - something is a bit off.   

I don't know much about your swing, but agree that the LZ shaft is usually for folks looking for a bit more height so it's odd that you would get fit into that.  Also, 89 mph swing speed on a 7 iron is pretty good.  I'm surprised that your yardage was just 160 - what type of smash factor did you have on average?

spin rate average was just over 7000.......smash factor was 1.5    we didnt even discuss smash factor during the fitting.....or dynamic loft which may be the real issue here....im not sure.

I am not great ball striker but can break 80 on a lot of courses because i can scramble prety good and putt well....

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at numbers but the launch for your speed is probably 5* too high..iirc around 18 is optimal and your land angle right on the border..iirc 41-47* is optimal for that speed.

That’s the one thing about irons in back to back releases, most won’t see an anything significant or what most would consider worth an upgrade. In my ole range session the the 100-s they didn’t seem to do anything better in ball flight than the last iteration. They are on top of my list with the p790 for getting added to the collection but if I had the 100 or 100-s from last release already I wouldn’t upgrade.

Not sure what other fitters you have around you but maybe cancel and go somewhere else and see what happens 

thats kinda where im at TBH.....i was thnking maybe a club like the 790 may be good for me....i dont know.....feeling kinda lost at the moment....

we dont have a lot of real fitters near us....id have to drive an hour and a half to get to a real fitter who fit me for my 712 CB's.....they worked well for me for years but these PGA SS employees are trash if you ask me...no real knowledge and no experience.... its a shame such a good franchise has horrible fitting employees....

and there were no clubs omn the shelves to view....everything is sold out.....which is good for the sport but my god...the shlves were bare....many top level balls were sold out too....

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

spin rate average was just over 7000.......smash factor was 1.5    we didnt even discuss smash factor during the fitting.....or dynamic loft which may be the real issue here....im not sure.

I am not great ball striker but can break 80 on a lot of courses because i can scramble prety good and putt well....

Wow 1.5 smash that’s odd. 1.3ish is typical for the 7i.

The spin seems right but as you mentioned in previous post the launch angle was high so you could be delivering more loft cashing higher spin.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

thats kinda where im at TBH.....i was thnking maybe a club like the 790 may be good for me....i dont know.....feeling kinda lost at the moment....

we dont have a lot of real fitters near us....id have to drive an hour and a half to get to a real fitter who fit me for my 712 CB's.....they worked well for me for years but these PGA SS employees are trash if you ask me...no real knowledge and no experience.... its a shame such a good franchise has horrible fitting employees....

and there were no clubs omn the shelves to view....everything is sold out.....which is good for the sport but my god...the shlves were bare....many top level balls were sold out too....

I would look to see who the tour van fitter is at that Pga ss and maybe do that. The p790 is very similar in specs to the 100-s and the 100-s is 1* stronger.

Sounds like you are between a rock and hard place on several areas that make what to do harder to decide on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wow 1.5 smash that’s odd. 1.3ish is typical for the 7i.

The spin seems right but as you mentioned in previous post the launch angle was high so you could be delivering more loft cashing higher spin.

come to think of it, tht is odd...cuz my ball speed wasnt in the 120 range.....i dont havethe #'s right in front of me, but my ball speed was 114.6 avg i believe

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would look to see who the tour van fitter is at that Pga ss and maybe do that. The p790 is very similar in specs to the 100-s and the 100-s is 1* stronger.

Sounds like you are between a rock and hard place on several areas that make what to do harder to decide on

yea....i need to take a step back and figure it out....

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

come to think of it, tht is odd...cuz my ball speed wasnt in the 120 range.....i dont havethe #'s right in front of me, but my ball speed was 114.6 avg i believe

yea....i need to take a step back and figure it out....

Without looking it up I want to say pga avg is that 120 ball speed and launch around 17. Land angle close to 50* with spin around 7k

From what I remember you fall in between the pga and lpga numbers and the lpga had smash around 1.36 and launch 2* higher than pga. Don’t recall if their land angle was closer to 41 or not.

Thinking about your fitting the px lz doesn’t seem to make sense when considering your launch. They have the softer middle to help that. The standard px 5.5 or 6.0 or even dg amt would seem more like a better fit. 
 

I never got my numbers from my 718 set but the px lz were nothing but pulls for me in the 6.0 where Px 6.0 and amt white s300 were the best options. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 2:11 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

If the numbers from the fitting were good as a far as launch characteristics go including land angle so you can hold greens then why not keep it.

Bit of course there’s the confidence side of things and if you aren’t confident the chances of playing well go down. So if you know you are going to be questioning the fit especially if a bad shot creeps in then canceling and trying over somewhere else might be the right call.

Based on your feedback of the fitting it sounds like you didn’t do their tour van fitting but rather the regular less expensive version, correct?

Did you do the Tour Van Fitting or just wander back to the fitting bays and ask to be fit.  The difference is $$  you're charged for a Tour Van fit and if this is what you did, you should have asked to hit the DG regardless but he really should have just let you hit it, after all you are paying for his time.  If you were a walk in looking to be fitted and it wasn't a paid fit, then you still have control by simply saying no thanks and maybe just have one of the guys build up the shaft combo you wanted 

Driver - Titleist TSI 3 Ventus Blue Velocore

3 Wood - Titleist TSI3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple

2 Hybrid - Titleist TS2 - Aldila Tour Blue

3 Hybrid - Titleist TSI2 - VA Composites Raijin

5-PW - Titleist T200/Mizuno MP20HMB Nippon Modus 105

Wedges - Gap Titleist Vokey SM8-48-54 bent to 53 Taylormade Hi Toe 58 all with Nippon Modus 115

Putters - Toulon Las Vegas H7 Titleist Phantom X 5.5- on order seems forever

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, GMatt said:

Did you do the Tour Van Fitting or just wander back to the fitting bays and ask to be fit.  The difference is $$  you're charged for a Tour Van fit and if this is what you did, you should have asked to hit the DG regardless but he really should have just let you hit it, after all you are paying for his time.  If you were a walk in looking to be fitted and it wasn't a paid fit, then you still have control by simply saying no thanks and maybe just have one of the guys build up the shaft combo you wanted 

You quoted the wrong person 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW...when I do a fitting, and we do not have the shaft (as long as it is offered by the head manufacturer), I GET IT! May take a week or two for shipping, but I GET IT! If you're not 100% happy with your fitting and what I've recommended, then I'd rather you left with nothing and keep searching. Club Champion will definitely have what you want, but you will pay much extra. But I only recommend them if the manufacturer doesn't offer the shaft you want to hit. Beware of BB Stores, although that's where I fit. I've been trained by companies in California & Arizona and know my stuff. New hires usually watch a video and that's it! Be sure your fitter is qualified and has physically been to the major manufacture's HQ's.

  • Like 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2019 Bettinardi QB6 and 2021 Ping Fetch Putter (depends on the greens)

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I paid for my fitting at PGA SS and was fit by a certified OEM PGA professional.  He applied my fee to the cost of my T300 irons.  We spent 1.5 hours with different OEM irons, completed other static measurements, used the Foresight launch monitor and Mizuno shaft optimizer, too.  I was initially skeptical about PGA SS, but going through the paid fitting session was 100% worth it.  Next time you make an appointment, research your fitter's qualifications.

  • Like 3

In my  :cameron-small: Explorer cart bag or MacKenzie golf baggolf bag:

:titelist-small: TSi2 11° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 stiff Tour Velvet grip A4 setting

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5°and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff Tour Velvet grip A4, A1 setting

:titelist-small:  T300 5-W (48°) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff Tour Velvet grip 1.5° flat

:vokey-small:  SM8 52.12F and 58.10S Slate Blue Dynamic Gold stiff New Decade Multi Compound with BV Wings 1° flat

Scotty Cameron   2020 Special Select Newport 34"

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

 SkyCaddiesx400

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like others have said it really is depends who fits you.  I was fitted this spring based on ratings and recs at CC.  Overall, the fitting was great, but getting the clubs took forever.  The local PGA SS has great ratings for their fitters from outside sources.  When I needed to get fitted for fairway woods in May, went to them and had a great experience.   Research, research, research

  • Like 2

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going back to the OP’s concerns about not having tested DG:

- the s300 is an awful feeling shaft

- interestingly, the x100 is nothing alike and it’s probably the best feeling shaft ever.

- both are very stiff, stiffer than Px 5.5 (so I would assume that they’d be far stiffer than Lz 5.5)

- if you really want DG, I would look at r300 hardstepped (which is closer in profile to the x100 than to the s300)

- all imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Without looking it up I want to say pga avg is that 120 ball speed and launch around 17. Land angle close to 50* with spin around 7k

From what I remember you fall in between the pga and lpga numbers and the lpga had smash around 1.36 and launch 2* higher than pga. Don’t recall if their land angle was closer to 41 or not.

Thinking about your fitting the px lz doesn’t seem to make sense when considering your launch. They have the softer middle to help that. The standard px 5.5 or 6.0 or even dg amt would seem more like a better fit. 
 

I never got my numbers from my 718 set but the px lz were nothing but pulls for me in the 6.0 where Px 6.0 and amt white s300 were the best options. 

i do launch it higher and my angle was close to that and i wish it was steeper... i know i need to work on my swing but i just hope this wasnt a huge mistake

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2021 at 11:07 AM, Getoffmylawn said:

...asking for blades with X100s kind of thing. 

Somebody say X One Hundees?!?

image.jpeg.58a9919269a15b1e32a266a6dbe1123b.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, Tsecor said:

..ill never go to PGA SS for anything other than hats and balls now...

 

... Others have already commented on a fitting is only as good as the person doing the fitting. And it is your money and your choice, but personally I would not blame the PGA SS for one bad fitter. I ordered a Sim2 Max with a Tensei Raw Blue shaft and was told it would be 4-6 weeks. 8 weeks later I went to the store and asked if they could look into why it is taking longer and understood there have been delays but maybe they could get a new ship date. They told me it was delivered via FedEx almost a full month ago. WTF?!?! I assured them it was not delivered. I am living in a gated apartment complex and checked with the office and not one delivery had ever been "stolen"or misplaced. This of course is not the PGA SS's problem and squarely on FedEx and TaylorMade but the SS went above and beyond by ordering a new Sim2 Max and requesting expediency shipped directly to the store. It arrived 5 days later ... with the wrong shaft!?!? 

... The manager called TM and told them he was exchanging a Tensei Blue shaft from a regular Sim2 in stock and they needed to send them a replacement shaft. I had also asked for the grip to be left in the box as I have my own Lamkin Hybrid ST2+  to install but of course the Tensei from the Sim2 had a stock TM grip. The manager took a new Lamkin Hybrid ST2+ from their stock and installed it for me and gave me the stock grip that came off the shaft. That kind of Customer Service is hard to come by but it has been a constant with the PGA SS in my experience. Ymmv ... 

  • Like 7

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

i do launch it higher and my angle was close to that and i wish it was steeper... i know i need to work on my swing but i just hope this wasnt a huge mistake

I hear ya. I have a tendency to early extend and add loft with my irons more so than my driver. 
 

For the most part your numbers fall within an acceptable range, don’t think it will be that bad other than maybe confidence getting the better of you if you run into a bad swing day

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...