Glasses and Golf

chisag

... Well evidently Father Time decided my 20-15 vision had lasted long enough and seems like he jumped in with a vengeance. Doc said probably has been coming on for a year or so until it just got very noticeable. So here are my questions: 

1. You guys use graduated lenses when you play? Or just for everything else and singular lenses without intermediate or close up when playing?

2. Do you use prescription sunglasses when you play?  

... Thanks! 

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I always had issues playing with glasses. I tried progressives and you really need to get the transition right. Meaning your head position at address working with the progression point on the lenses. My boss returned his glasses three times to get it right.

I gave up and went to contacts and eventually had Lasik eye surgery which lasted about 15 years. Then I had to go back to contacts for a touch more distance correction.

For sunglasses, I could never play with sunglasses on. Even golf specific ones.

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I wear progressive lenses in my glasses, but for sporting use (golf, cycling, skiing, refereeing ice hockey) I wear single-vision distance contact lenses. I tried to play in my progressive glasses, and it was a disaster.

I usually don't play in sunglasses unless it's really bright or there's a lot of glare. When I do, it's the REKS golf lens, which is the best I've found (including some super-high-priced models).

• Like 4

I started wearing them full time a few years ago. Single lenses for me. No sunglasses. I’m use to them now, but it definitely made me adjust my head position in the set up.  Doesn’t help that I have Waldo glasses…

you’ll get used to them.

• Like 4

When I started playing golf in the early '90s, I was wearing glasses for distance; closeup was fine without them.  I couldn't hit the ball, so I gave up and played without them.  I got a bead on the direction my ball went, but after 200 yards it was gone.  I tried contacts, and they were OK to play golf, but terrible for reading and computer work (my job).  I went back to glasses.  On one of my visits to the Ophthalmologist, I was told I could probably pass the driver's vision test without glasses... and I did!!  That was 10 years ago, and I haven't worn glasses since.  I have a pair of sunglasses with my last mild prescription that I wear driving on sunny days... but not golf balls!!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play most of my rounds playing in single vision prescription sunglasses. I'm pretty light sensitive and that's why most of my on course and practice photos have me in them.

I just switched to progressives in my regular glasses and have only taken practice swings wearing them, but I haven't had any problems focusing on where the ball is. Like @Shankster said, you may have to make a head adjustment to make sure that the ball isn't in the blurry spot. 

• Like 3

I have progressives and have tried playing with them, but I just find them too distracting. Only issues are depth perception to the greens on approach shots and putting lines, and I use those as excuses for my poor play on a regular basis. 😆

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I’ve had progressives for a few years now. You adjust when golfing, just like anything else (I.E. going down stairs). My last round out was a little weird the first few holes with my new lenses but I didn’t notice anything off by the end of the round. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Apparently I'm an outlier, as I can play with anything. Well, except contacts, because I can't wear them at all. I prefer to play with my cycling glasses, which are single vision Transitions lenses. I am very light sensitive, so I require sunglasses almost all of the time when outside. If it's bright (or hot, Transitions lenses don't get as dark in the heat) I have a second pair, which is just very dark grey. In the distant past I had a pair of golf-specific glasses, which was a dark yellow color said to help with seeing contrast on green, and therefore help you read greens easier, but that color was never enough protection for me, and I always ended up with tired eyes relatively quickly. 

• Like 1

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I’ve struggled for years to find the right combination, but found my solution a few years ago

Progressive lenses for most things

Single vision lenses with transitions to darken and lighten that I keep in my golf bag

Progressives with transitions that actually darken inside the car that I keep in the car

• Like 1

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I cannot play with sunglasses, I’ve tried many times.

I cannot play with progressives, I’ve tried. But I wear progressive normal and sun glasses off the course.

I play with single focal lenses, and you have to check that periodically, I found out the hard way after months using +1.25 lenses (not noticing the ball had become fuzzy at address) before switching to +1.50 lenses.

I’ve seriously considered LASIK solely to improve my golf vision. No glasses are comparable to 20/15 vision - what I had until my mid 40’s.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

My experience has been that this will be personal - like asking the question - what’s the best wedge? 🙂

I may mess up the terminology which could be disturbing for a guy whose not a doctor but has played one on TV.

I have the combo glasses that are no line trifocals and transition to sunglasses for outdoor sunlight. There were a few golfing hiccups early on - like which ball do I swing at when I had it tee’d low for fairway wood. But I transitioned to it pretty quickly. My biggest issue now is sometimes not seeing my tee shots 

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

My experience has been that this will be personal - like asking the question - what’s the best wedge? 🙂

I may mess up the terminology which could be disturbing for a guy whose not a doctor but has played one on TV.

I have the combo glasses that are no line trifocals and transition to sunglasses for outdoor sunlight. There were a few golfing hiccups early on - like which ball do I swing at when I had it tee’d low for fairway wood. But I transitioned to it pretty quickly. My biggest issue now is sometimes not seeing my tee shots 

Kevin, those are Transition progressive lens, just so you're confident in using the term going forward.  

Transitions is the brand name for the part that makes them go from regular to sunglasses.  Progressive is the terminology for Bi-Focals with no lines.   Top part for distance and bottom part for up-close.

Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I have worn progressive lens for over 25 years now, had progressive contacts prior to that. 

I wear them full time, including playing golf.  I don't think I have any issues wit them, but perhaps I do.  My bad strike in golf is hitting anywhere from an inch to 5 inches behind the ball.  I've always blamed that on my tendency to sway off the ball, and not move my weight forward in the downswing.   but perhaps some of it is the glasses.

I have some money left on my FSA that expieres in October, maybe I'll order a pair of single vision glasses to see if that helps.   

I have worn the Transition Progressive as well.  I couldn't follow the ball very well off the tee with them.   So I use the only for driving now--the car, not the ball 🙂

• Like 1

Day to day life, progressives.  And I can play with them if it’s a darker day. You get used to it.

Normal golf days in the sun?  Single vision, polarized sunglasses.  I don’t have any issues with seeing what I think I need to see.  

A good prescription means my vision is sharp.  If you aren’t satisfied, go back and get tested again!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Kevin, those are Transition progressive lens, just so you're confident in using the term going forward.  

Transitions is the brand name for the part that makes them go from regular to sunglasses.  Progressive is the terminology for Bi-Focals with no lines.   Top part for distance and bottom part for up-close.

Hope that helps.  

I actually knew that - I played dumb to get the doctor schtick in. 🙂

The Transitions headquarters is between my house and my club. They were the Sponsor of the Valspar before Valspar but after PODS, I think.

But thanks!  

• Like 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

I actually knew that - I played dumb to get the doctor schtick in. 🙂

The Transitions headquarters is between my house and my club. They were the Sponsor of the Valspar before Valspar but after PODS, I think.

But thanks!  

HA...sorry. 

But you know Transitions is probably like Fed Ex and Xerox back in the day.  It is a company name that has become synonymous with a process,  you know how people would say Xerox this for me, instead of copy it for me, or I'm gong to Fed Ex this instead of I'm gong to overnight this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, revkev said:

... I can operate on your brain or remove a bullet from your back that is lodged up against your spine (as long as it is in the script) but I am professionally clueless about eye wear or dental procedures (thankfully). This is a learning experience and I really appreciate all the responses. I really don't need glasses on the course yet as I can still see a ball on the green from over 250 yds, although I think a single lens might be interesting just to see the difference, literally. It is more the driving and even watching TV where things have become just a little blurry so I may just start with progressives and a pair of Transitions just to see how they work for me. Different than golf equipment for sure because if I don't really like the Transitions I can't just sell them in the classifieds. 🤪

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I can't play well with sunglasses. Idk how anyone could play well with poor vision and glasses granted I'm a mental weakling thinking small discomforts will make me play poor. Wishing you well friend hopefully you don't have the same issues I do! Do what you can to stay competitive and get birdies. 

• Like 1
  • Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

I had Lasik eye surgery over 20 years ago and had my eyes tweaked again about 5 years ago. I would suggest everyone looking into this as an option if possible. I can play with sunglasses, but most of the time I choose not to.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X