TESTERS WANTED! ×

Glasses and Golf

chisag

... Well evidently Father Time decided my 20-15 vision had lasted long enough and seems like he jumped in with a vengeance. Doc said probably has been coming on for a year or so until it just got very noticeable. So here are my questions: 

1. You guys use graduated lenses when you play? Or just for everything else and singular lenses without intermediate or close up when playing?

2. Do you use prescription sunglasses when you play?  

... Thanks! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I always had issues playing with glasses. I tried progressives and you really need to get the transition right. Meaning your head position at address working with the progression point on the lenses. My boss returned his glasses three times to get it right.

I gave up and went to contacts and eventually had Lasik eye surgery which lasted about 15 years. Then I had to go back to contacts for a touch more distance correction.

For sunglasses, I could never play with sunglasses on. Even golf specific ones.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I wear progressive lenses in my glasses, but for sporting use (golf, cycling, skiing, refereeing ice hockey) I wear single-vision distance contact lenses. I tried to play in my progressive glasses, and it was a disaster.

I usually don't play in sunglasses unless it's really bright or there's a lot of glare. When I do, it's the REKS golf lens, which is the best I've found (including some super-high-priced models).

When I started playing golf in the early '90s, I was wearing glasses for distance; closeup was fine without them.  I couldn't hit the ball, so I gave up and played without them.  I got a bead on the direction my ball went, but after 200 yards it was gone.  I tried contacts, and they were OK to play golf, but terrible for reading and computer work (my job).  I went back to glasses.  On one of my visits to the Ophthalmologist, I was told I could probably pass the driver's vision test without glasses... and I did!!  That was 10 years ago, and I haven't worn glasses since.  I have a pair of sunglasses with my last mild prescription that I wear driving on sunny days... but not golf balls!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play most of my rounds playing in single vision prescription sunglasses. I'm pretty light sensitive and that's why most of my on course and practice photos have me in them.

I just switched to progressives in my regular glasses and have only taken practice swings wearing them, but I haven't had any problems focusing on where the ball is. Like @Shankster said, you may have to make a head adjustment to make sure that the ball isn't in the blurry spot. 

I have progressives and have tried playing with them, but I just find them too distracting. Only issues are depth perception to the greens on approach shots and putting lines, and I use those as excuses for my poor play on a regular basis. 😆

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I’ve had progressives for a few years now. You adjust when golfing, just like anything else (I.E. going down stairs). My last round out was a little weird the first few holes with my new lenses but I didn’t notice anything off by the end of the round. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Apparently I'm an outlier, as I can play with anything. Well, except contacts, because I can't wear them at all. I prefer to play with my cycling glasses, which are single vision Transitions lenses. I am very light sensitive, so I require sunglasses almost all of the time when outside. If it's bright (or hot, Transitions lenses don't get as dark in the heat) I have a second pair, which is just very dark grey. In the distant past I had a pair of golf-specific glasses, which was a dark yellow color said to help with seeing contrast on green, and therefore help you read greens easier, but that color was never enough protection for me, and I always ended up with tired eyes relatively quickly. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I’ve struggled for years to find the right combination, but found my solution a few years ago

Progressive lenses for most things

Single vision lenses with transitions to darken and lighten that I keep in my golf bag

Progressives with transitions that actually darken inside the car that I keep in the car

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I cannot play with sunglasses, I’ve tried many times.

I cannot play with progressives, I’ve tried. But I wear progressive normal and sun glasses off the course.

I play with single focal lenses, and you have to check that periodically, I found out the hard way after months using +1.25 lenses (not noticing the ball had become fuzzy at address) before switching to +1.50 lenses.

I’ve seriously considered LASIK solely to improve my golf vision. No glasses are comparable to 20/15 vision - what I had until my mid 40’s.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

My experience has been that this will be personal - like asking the question - what’s the best wedge? 🙂

I may mess up the terminology which could be disturbing for a guy whose not a doctor but has played one on TV.

I have the combo glasses that are no line trifocals and transition to sunglasses for outdoor sunlight. There were a few golfing hiccups early on - like which ball do I swing at when I had it tee’d low for fairway wood. But I transitioned to it pretty quickly. My biggest issue now is sometimes not seeing my tee shots 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

My experience has been that this will be personal - like asking the question - what’s the best wedge? 🙂

I may mess up the terminology which could be disturbing for a guy whose not a doctor but has played one on TV.

I have the combo glasses that are no line trifocals and transition to sunglasses for outdoor sunlight. There were a few golfing hiccups early on - like which ball do I swing at when I had it tee’d low for fairway wood. But I transitioned to it pretty quickly. My biggest issue now is sometimes not seeing my tee shots 

Kevin, those are Transition progressive lens, just so you're confident in using the term going forward.  

Transitions is the brand name for the part that makes them go from regular to sunglasses.  Progressive is the terminology for Bi-Focals with no lines.   Top part for distance and bottom part for up-close.

Hope that helps.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have worn progressive lens for over 25 years now, had progressive contacts prior to that. 

I wear them full time, including playing golf.  I don't think I have any issues wit them, but perhaps I do.  My bad strike in golf is hitting anywhere from an inch to 5 inches behind the ball.  I've always blamed that on my tendency to sway off the ball, and not move my weight forward in the downswing.   but perhaps some of it is the glasses.

I have some money left on my FSA that expieres in October, maybe I'll order a pair of single vision glasses to see if that helps.   

I have worn the Transition Progressive as well.  I couldn't follow the ball very well off the tee with them.   So I use the only for driving now--the car, not the ball 🙂

Day to day life, progressives.  And I can play with them if it’s a darker day. You get used to it.

Normal golf days in the sun?  Single vision, polarized sunglasses.  I don’t have any issues with seeing what I think I need to see.  

A good prescription means my vision is sharp.  If you aren’t satisfied, go back and get tested again!

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Kevin, those are Transition progressive lens, just so you're confident in using the term going forward.  

Transitions is the brand name for the part that makes them go from regular to sunglasses.  Progressive is the terminology for Bi-Focals with no lines.   Top part for distance and bottom part for up-close.

Hope that helps.  

I actually knew that - I played dumb to get the doctor schtick in. 🙂

The Transitions headquarters is between my house and my club. They were the Sponsor of the Valspar before Valspar but after PODS, I think.

But thanks!  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 minutes ago, revkev said:

I actually knew that - I played dumb to get the doctor schtick in. 🙂

The Transitions headquarters is between my house and my club. They were the Sponsor of the Valspar before Valspar but after PODS, I think.

But thanks!  

HA...sorry. 

But you know Transitions is probably like Fed Ex and Xerox back in the day.  It is a company name that has become synonymous with a process,  you know how people would say Xerox this for me, instead of copy it for me, or I'm gong to Fed Ex this instead of I'm gong to overnight this. 

4 hours ago, revkev said:

... I can operate on your brain or remove a bullet from your back that is lodged up against your spine (as long as it is in the script) but I am professionally clueless about eye wear or dental procedures (thankfully). This is a learning experience and I really appreciate all the responses. I really don't need glasses on the course yet as I can still see a ball on the green from over 250 yds, although I think a single lens might be interesting just to see the difference, literally. It is more the driving and even watching TV where things have become just a little blurry so I may just start with progressives and a pair of Transitions just to see how they work for me. Different than golf equipment for sure because if I don't really like the Transitions I can't just sell them in the classifieds. 🤪

I can't play well with sunglasses. Idk how anyone could play well with poor vision and glasses granted I'm a mental weakling thinking small discomforts will make me play poor. Wishing you well friend hopefully you don't have the same issues I do! Do what you can to stay competitive and get birdies. 

• Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

I had Lasik eye surgery over 20 years ago and had my eyes tweaked again about 5 years ago. I would suggest everyone looking into this as an option if possible. I can play with sunglasses, but most of the time I choose not to.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Been playing in glasses for years. No issues. No set up change or anything. Mine are just standard lenses, tried contacts and didn't like them. Also tried sunglasses and don't like that either.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I'm fortunate enough that my vision (post lasik surgery) is such that I no longer need to wear bifocals outside and only need readers indoors.  However, prior to that I tried wearing progressive line lenses on the course -- gave me fits as I'd see some wave like progressions. putting ... wasn't so bad with the swing, but the transition was right in the line of sight during putting.  To be fair, I only tried it one or two times before realizing that I didn't need to wear glasses playing golf.  Here I am on the cusp of being 70 and still have pretty good vision (except for anything inside arm's length unless I have really good light).

However, I do play in sunglasses frequently, but they're non-prescription and not what was being asked about.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Long sighted and started wearing glasses for driving (car not golf) when I turned 40. My reading sight progressively got worse and started using the same prescription for reading, when I was ~50 started needing a separate prescription for reading.  This sort of corresponded with the time I started to use my distance glasses on the golf course, I wouldn't be able to follow the ball after about 200yds, so if I hit a wayward shot I couldn't spot where the ball landed. About 2 years ago I got my 1st pair of varifocals (progressive) glasses but couldn't use them on the course, found that I couldn't pick up the ball flight. So I use my distance glasses solely for playing golf, a pair of clear lenses and prescription sunglasses. I do have a set of Oakley prescription sunglasses as well but couldn't get my exact prescription due to the maximum lens prescription  permitted in the Flak Jacket frames.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

... Thanks to everyone for your responses! 🤓 I have decided to go with a single lens pair of glasses and a single lens pair of Transition sun glasses since Costco had a $30 off second pair. I'll "see" how it goes and then maybe order some Progressives. Friend of mine is an eye doc and he said my prescription is pretty weak and this was the best way to start. I figured he would say buy the glasses at my eye docs office but he said Costco is a great choice. He also said judging by my numbers, I don't need them on the course! 

On 8/8/2021 at 3:05 AM, Alf. S said:

Long sighted and started wearing glasses for driving (car not golf) when I turned 40. My reading sight progressively got worse and started using the same prescription for reading, when I was ~50 started needing a separate prescription for reading.  This sort of corresponded with the time I started to use my distance glasses on the golf course, I wouldn't be able to follow the ball after about 200yds, so if I hit a wayward shot I couldn't spot where the ball landed. About 2 years ago I got my 1st pair of varifocals (progressive) glasses but couldn't use them on the course, found that I couldn't pick up the ball flight. So I use my distance glasses solely for playing golf, a pair of clear lenses and prescription sunglasses. I do have a set of Oakley prescription sunglasses as well but couldn't get my exact prescription due to the maximum lens prescription  permitted in the Flak Jacket frames.

Looking good standing on what looks like the Swilkin Bridge but I miss the Alf avatar.  😀

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me, it's progressives for everyday use and single (distance) vision lenses for golf. My golfing glasses that I keep in a case in my golf bag have Transisions lenses that go from clear with a reflection-free coating to a deep amber brown color in bright light.  I have been using this type of eyewear arrangement for more than 20-25 years, when I first started wearing progressive lenses in my primary pair of corrective lenses.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Tried using progressive, but after losing 2 pairs, I stopped. When I did use them, I did not see much difference in my scores, not using sunglasses did mess up my scores. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Looking good standing on what looks like the Swilkin Bridge but I miss the Alf avatar.  😀

Played there for the 1st time in June. ALF may come back, you never know.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Check out Essilor Definity lenses. They are progressive lenses for golfers. I’ve been wearing them for maybe three seasons without any issues. No distortion, can see for distance and reading. But find a very good optometrist for these and preferably one that plays golf and understands what you need.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

31 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Check out Essilor Definity lenses. They are progressive lenses for golfers. I’ve been wearing them for maybe three seasons without any issues. No distortion, can see for distance and reading. But find a very good optometrist for these and preferably one that plays golf and understands what you need.

My optometrist is my son's ex-girlfriend's dad. Maybe that's why I've had such a hard time transitioning to this new prescription 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game