Glasses and Golf

chisag

Been playing in glasses for years. No issues. No set up change or anything. Mine are just standard lenses, tried contacts and didn't like them. Also tried sunglasses and don't like that either.

Take Dead Aim

I'm fortunate enough that my vision (post lasik surgery) is such that I no longer need to wear bifocals outside and only need readers indoors.  However, prior to that I tried wearing progressive line lenses on the course -- gave me fits as I'd see some wave like progressions. putting ... wasn't so bad with the swing, but the transition was right in the line of sight during putting.  To be fair, I only tried it one or two times before realizing that I didn't need to wear glasses playing golf.  Here I am on the cusp of being 70 and still have pretty good vision (except for anything inside arm's length unless I have really good light).

However, I do play in sunglasses frequently, but they're non-prescription and not what was being asked about.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW, SW(bent to 52) KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3 up

Wedges:  :Sub70: JB 56 and JB 60 KBS Tour90 V Steel shafts +1/2 inch soft stepped

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Long sighted and started wearing glasses for driving (car not golf) when I turned 40. My reading sight progressively got worse and started using the same prescription for reading, when I was ~50 started needing a separate prescription for reading.  This sort of corresponded with the time I started to use my distance glasses on the golf course, I wouldn't be able to follow the ball after about 200yds, so if I hit a wayward shot I couldn't spot where the ball landed. About 2 years ago I got my 1st pair of varifocals (progressive) glasses but couldn't use them on the course, found that I couldn't pick up the ball flight. So I use my distance glasses solely for playing golf, a pair of clear lenses and prescription sunglasses. I do have a set of Oakley prescription sunglasses as well but couldn't get my exact prescription due to the maximum lens prescription  permitted in the Flak Jacket frames.

• Like 2

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

... Thanks to everyone for your responses! 🤓 I have decided to go with a single lens pair of glasses and a single lens pair of Transition sun glasses since Costco had a $30 off second pair. I'll "see" how it goes and then maybe order some Progressives. Friend of mine is an eye doc and he said my prescription is pretty weak and this was the best way to start. I figured he would say buy the glasses at my eye docs office but he said Costco is a great choice. He also said judging by my numbers, I don't need them on the course! 

• Like 4

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                  :taylormade-small: MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour/TP5x (2021)

On 8/8/2021 at 3:05 AM, Alf. S said:

Long sighted and started wearing glasses for driving (car not golf) when I turned 40. My reading sight progressively got worse and started using the same prescription for reading, when I was ~50 started needing a separate prescription for reading.  This sort of corresponded with the time I started to use my distance glasses on the golf course, I wouldn't be able to follow the ball after about 200yds, so if I hit a wayward shot I couldn't spot where the ball landed. About 2 years ago I got my 1st pair of varifocals (progressive) glasses but couldn't use them on the course, found that I couldn't pick up the ball flight. So I use my distance glasses solely for playing golf, a pair of clear lenses and prescription sunglasses. I do have a set of Oakley prescription sunglasses as well but couldn't get my exact prescription due to the maximum lens prescription  permitted in the Flak Jacket frames.

Looking good standing on what looks like the Swilkin Bridge but I miss the Alf avatar.  😀

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me, it's progressives for everyday use and single (distance) vision lenses for golf. My golfing glasses that I keep in a case in my golf bag have Transisions lenses that go from clear with a reflection-free coating to a deep amber brown color in bright light.  I have been using this type of eyewear arrangement for more than 20-25 years, when I first started wearing progressive lenses in my primary pair of corrective lenses.

Edited by funkyjudge
  • Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

Tried using progressive, but after losing 2 pairs, I stopped. When I did use them, I did not see much difference in my scores, not using sunglasses did mess up my scores. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Looking good standing on what looks like the Swilkin Bridge but I miss the Alf avatar.  😀

Played there for the 1st time in June. ALF may come back, you never know.

• Like 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Check out Essilor Definity lenses. They are progressive lenses for golfers. I’ve been wearing them for maybe three seasons without any issues. No distortion, can see for distance and reading. But find a very good optometrist for these and preferably one that plays golf and understands what you need.

• Like 2

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

31 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Check out Essilor Definity lenses. They are progressive lenses for golfers. I’ve been wearing them for maybe three seasons without any issues. No distortion, can see for distance and reading. But find a very good optometrist for these and preferably one that plays golf and understands what you need.

My optometrist is my son's ex-girlfriend's dad. Maybe that's why I've had such a hard time transitioning to this new prescription 🤣

• Haha 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I tried the Definity lenses for both everyday wear and golf, but they did not work for me on the golf course, and thus when my prescription changed a little more than a year ago I went back to two pairs of eyeglasses — one with progressive lenses for everyday wear/reading, etc., plus one pair with my single (distance) prescription Transitions lenses for golf [I can also wear these glasses for driving the car, but the car’s gauges are not perfectly sharp and clear if I do this].

Edited by funkyjudge

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

On 8/10/2021 at 3:49 AM, chisag said:

... Thanks to everyone for your responses! 🤓 I have decided to go with a single lens pair of glasses and a single lens pair of Transition sun glasses since Costco had a $30 off second pair. I'll "see" how it goes and then maybe order some Progressives. Friend of mine is an eye doc and he said my prescription is pretty weak and this was the best way to start. I figured he would say buy the glasses at my eye docs office but he said Costco is a great choice. He also said judging by my numbers, I don't need them on the course! 

I think that’s the right call. If you’ve got a weak prescription, then progressives won’t really matter.

I used to have a weak script, but after years of sitting in front of the computer, I graduated from keeping a pair of computer glasses on the desk to just wearing progressives.

I’m nearsighted. As I understood my optometrist, progressive lenses have a defined range, and the close-distance part of the lens determines the maximum distance on the high part. Far-distance sight with progressives will never be quite as sharp as with single lenses. Sometimes, I think I struggle with determining the final distance of my shot with my progressives.

The thing is, it can be disorienting when switching from progressives to single lenses and back. It might be better to just pick one and go with it.

• Like 1

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  TENSEI CK ORANGE 60 S  |  IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW  PROJECT X LZ 5.5

FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 85 6.0   WEDGES :cleveland-small: CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

HYBRIDS :ping-small: G410 19°, 22°  ALTA CB 70 RED   PUTTER :ping-small: KARSTEN ANSER 33"

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO U

BAG :1590477705_SunMountain: FRONT 9 LH  |  PUSHCART :Clicgear: ROVIC RV1S 

I wear glasses on a daily basis and used to switch to contacts when doing sports (physical contact like basketball, etc. and to be able to wear sunglasses on the golf course).

But as you get older and lazier... so haven't touched a basketball in years and now play golf and tennis with glasses to avoid the hassle with contacts. I do use clip on sunglasses over prescription ones, if I ever need them.

The only downside is when have sweat on your nose, ears... but I guess you get used to it.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 2 weeks later...

I have progressive lense in my glasses, and I really do not have a problem with them.  Of course, perhaps they are the reason I suck!  LOL

• Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 3 & GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter     Seemore3.jpg.f4ef99613c6f9407a7e1a0a6ce56bf3e.jpg      Seemore Si1
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg                            2021 Tester

Had an eye appointment last week.  Vision is 20/20 with glasses.  There was no need to change by prescription, it hadn’t changed much in a year.   

so I took the prescription of my current progressives and called the folks at SportRX and spoke about prescription sun glasses.  My last pair from my current Dra office were horrible for golf.  Couldn’t see the ball beyond 30 or 40 yards off the tee.  The optician I spoke to —who is a golfer—and named Rory— gotta trust him right—-said it had to be the tint.  I had a dark brown tint.  So we with my RX snd where I live he highly recommended a Rose tint.    

The only bummer was my RX is so strong like +6 in both eyes that typical sunglasses frames won’t work for it.  I knew this from past experience.   But he sent me pics of several regular frames from Oakley that will work and look pretty good. 

So I’m looking forward to getting them.   

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• 4 weeks later...

I've only just started playing; in fact, my first 18 was a week ago today. I wore my progressive glasses, but I've worn them at the driving range for almost a year.  You will have to figure out how to hold your head when addressing the ball.  I didn't wear sunglasses, but I have a huge bucket type hat to shade my eyes. 

I am getting lens replacement surgery, probably before year end. I've hated wearing glasses for 30 years now.

Edited by Bill Akins
Clarification
  • Like 1

Irons: default_cobra-small.jpg.8ee5cf81595828deb23f0706c0b1a6be.jpg Cobra BiO Cell Red

Fairway: default_cobra-small.jpg.8ee5cf81595828deb23f0706c0b1a6be.jpg Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Driver: Screenshot_20210724-084327_Chrome.jpg.919151963fa0c54f1e59d394fa4eaca9.jpg Wilson Profile XD 10.5°

Wedge: Logo_3_495x@2x.png.1cb4ac4ffcd92c128742286011982904.png Bombtech 60°

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Ball: default_titelist-small.jpg.75c77327371865f66b6ee3f5622247cb.jpgTitleist Velocity Matte Orange