Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hosel Rocket Cures

I've suffered with the shanks for longer than I care to admit usually setting in each winter. Thankfully I'm bloody stubborn and have invested too much cash into gear to give up! 

What has worked for me over the last two years are 3 thoughts/drills whenever I feel they're getting close:

1. Miss on the inside of the ball. Consciously setup as normal, then swing and hit turf/mat inside the ball. Repeat. You can play slapping it off the toe all round, not from the heel. 

2. Start your downswing pushing your right butt cheek (RH golfer) towards target to force weight over your lead foot. Gives loads of 'space' and allows an in to out path. Trust me when I say this will make sense when you get it right. 

3. Drill, assuming you're probably a slicer too, practice all of the above swinging MASSIVELY in to out and out to in. Like 45 degrees in one swing, 45 degrees out next. This gives me the sensation of both extremes and is easier to settle on one. I find swinging in to out keeps the club of the head behind hands and encourages a toe miss. 

4. The latest cure I’ve used ithat worked for me was thinking of trying to skim a rock on a pond (helped my over the top tendency). In order to do it consistently, I moved my right hand into a strong position, which helped me really feel like I was as keeping my right elbow close to my body. This has worked really well with my irons, but I’ve developed a pull hook with my driver. When I really concentrate on getting my right elbow in I hit absolute bombs- hit my first 300 yard drive without the help of a hill the other day. I just have to figure out how strong a right handed grip to take to prevent the over the top move while at the same time not pull hooking it. 

To the GolfSpy community…

image.gif.6be25418a8e4ccbe9e4cd9c310398587.gif

Edited by DukeStKing

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip