TESTERS WANTED! ×

Puma Buys Cobra!!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

This is exactly what could/should happen to the Hogan brand and Cally.

Question though, what is the R&D like at Puma? When they buy Cobra, do they take the club makers too? Or, will this mean that the brand design could go in a whole new direction. A big plus would be adding Puma style to Cobra tech and quality though.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

For the meantime Puma will be using all Cobra staff for everything during the transition period.

This is exactly what could/should happen to the Hogan brand and Cally.

Question though, what is the R&D like at Puma? When they buy Cobra, do they take the club makers too? Or, will this mean that the brand design could go in a whole new direction. A big plus would be adding Puma style to Cobra tech and quality though.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

For the meantime Puma will be using all Cobra staff for everything during the transition period.

Thanks, had to re-read that paragraph. Does Puma buy the production facilities after the transition period? Club making plants of that size can't be too common.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Put a call in to Puma yesterday waiting to hear back for more details.

Let me know if you guys have any questions you want to ask.

Thanks, had to re-read that paragraph. Does Puma buy the production facilities after the transition period? Club making plants of that size can't be too common.

#TruthDigest

It is an interesting deal. Titleist did a great job reviving the Cobra brand... Now they will be directly competing with PUMA who will have a good headstart on golf - unlike Nike that started from scratch and has saw how difficult it can be to become a player in hard goods. I would think PUMA will be more of competitor to FootJoy down the road. May just be a sign of the times - that Fortune Brands is looking to reduce their golf industry exposure more than worried about competitors.

Well, I love Puma, and Cobra Drivers seem to be some of the best on the market as of late. I hope Puma see's that in the Cobra Staff and nothing but good things come from this.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

So interesting. We just opened a Puma account here in the store. I wonder what this means now???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

So interesting. We just opened a Puma account here in the store. I wonder what this means now???

Probably nothing for a while. You have the Cobra account too. Maybe initially you will see more access to the puma gear like clothing and shoes. (Love the style of the shoes btw.) As the worlds come together, and the new product comes to market, things may be a bit different. Hopefully they are very careful about altering the brand. Good cobra product needs to remain good.

Someone should have paid closer attention to Camello's wardrobe. This cobra gear, puma wear, he was the harbinger of the union...

Volvo Intorqueo

The first thing that came to mind is: Are they going to fade out the Cobra brand and make Puma golf clubs, or are they going to continue making Cobra clubs and just add it to their portfolio?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

The first thing that came to mind is: Are they going to fade out the Cobra brand and make Puma golf clubs, or are they going to continue making Cobra clubs and just add it to their portfolio?

Maybe Pubra? Coma?

Seriously, this seems a good merger. Puma style with cobra tech and construction seems very likely to have a strong market position. While it would be sad to see the loss of the Cobra name, Puma branded clubs would look cool too.

Volvo Intorqueo

Puma must envision building a brand around Fowler much like Nike did around Tiger Woods. Very interesting move by the German company.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Puma must envision building a brand around Fowler much like Nike did around Tiger Woods. Very interesting move by the German company.

This got me thinking about Cobra's presence on the European tour. Is there a presence? Maybe Puma sees an untapped market share. Clothing-wise, I believe that Puma holds a stronger position in the European markets.

Volvo Intorqueo

Here is some more fire for the rumor mill. Titleist has been up for sale for years. I predict Taylor Made buys Titleist for the ball line. I also predict that Callaway buys Footjoy for the shoe and glove lines. This will all happen in the next year.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Here is some more fire for the rumor mill. Titleist has been up for sale for years. I predict Taylor Made buys Titleist for the ball line. I also predict that Callaway buys Footjoy for the shoe and glove lines. This will all happen in the next year.

Whatever, they made the Penta, they don't need the pro V :)

Kidding aside, I don't that this would be good for the consumer, especially the better player.

Volvo Intorqueo

Probably nothing for a while. You have the Cobra account too. Maybe initially you will see more access to the puma gear like clothing and shoes. (Love the style of the shoes btw.) As the worlds come together, and the new product comes to market, things may be a bit different. Hopefully they are very careful about altering the brand. Good cobra product needs to remain good.

Someone should have paid closer attention to Camello's wardrobe. This cobra gear, puma wear, he was the harbinger of the union...

Agreed. He'd make a great spokesman for some of Puma's attire, except he's been the most recognized JL billboard for golf since the demise of Jaesper Parnevik. Poulter has his own brand of clothing and JB...well, I don't know what he wears.

As for the Puma-Cobra union, I think it makes a lot of sense. Both epitomize slightly edgier designs than many of the more conservative brands. Hope this proves to be a very successful union.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

• SPY VIP

The sketches in the original article are definitely edgier. Like the red and the yellow, but the blue one is not for me.

Added image here for those who missed it.

puma-drivers-31.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

I would imagine that Puma/Cobra goes the route that Taylor Made/Adidas went. That is, Taylor Made makes the clubs and Adidas makes the apparel. They seem pretty content in that situation.

I would imagine that Puma/Cobra goes the route that Taylor Made/Adidas went. That is, Taylor Made makes the clubs and Adidas makes the apparel. They seem pretty content in that situation.

That would make sense to me - don't force the customers to try to think about a brand in a different way. I agree with the aforementioned sentiment that this seems like a good fit, both seem geared to the younger, hipper, less traditional crowd.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I am a fan of both! I love Puma apparel and shoes and Cobra makes some solid clubs. I think as long as Puma handles everything correctly this could be a great union of these two brands. I look forward to seeing what comes of this.

Only thing is Camillo is a J.Lindeberg guy so you can't really credit Camillo as being the harbinger of this transaction.

• SPY VIP

Only thing is Camillo is a J.Lindeberg guy so you can't really credit Camillo as being the harbinger of this transaction.

Went and looked at the pictures from the Honda. I totally thought his yellow and gray argyle was puma. Saw the JL on the collar this time.

Did he once wear Puma? or did my brain lie to me again? :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Went and looked at the pictures from the Honda. I totally thought his yellow and gray argyle was puma. Saw the JL on the collar this time.

Did he once wear Puma? or did my brain lie to me again? :)

It is lying to you. He has always been an JL player. I wonder what this does to Camillo's endorsements now? Still JL, or is there pressure to wear Puma?? Does Fowler start to play Cobra clubs?? It will be fun to find out.

• SPY VIP

It is lying to you. He has always been an JL player. I wonder what this does to Camillo's endorsements now? Still JL, or is there pressure to wear Puma?? Does Fowler start to play Cobra clubs?? It will be fun to find out.

Not him with the Puma army caps? Ah 40 my wicked mistress first you take the body now the mind...

Volvo Intorqueo

Not him with the Puma army caps? Ah 40 my wicked mistress first you take the body now the mind...

It could be all the beers... im just saying...

It could be all the beers... im just saying...

It doesn't help that JL makes doll clothes.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived