TESTERS WANTED! ×

Puma Buys Cobra!!

GolfSpy_X

It is lying to you. He has always been an JL player. I wonder what this does to Camillo's endorsements now? Still JL, or is there pressure to wear Puma?? Does Fowler start to play Cobra clubs?? It will be fun to find out.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Is it just a coincident that Geoff Ogilvy switched to Titleist and went from wearing Puma to FJ? The other question that came to mind is what is Rickie Fowler going to do will he drop the Titleist irons and go to Cobra since he's wearing Puma already. I mean Puma seems to be to me the younger generations FJ brand .... well them and Adidas. JMO

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Is it just a coincident that Geoff Ogilvy switched to Titleist and went from wearing Puma to FJ? The other question that came to mind is what is Rickie Fowler going to do will he drop the Titleist irons and go to Cobra since he's wearing Puma already. I mean Puma seems to be to me the younger generations FJ brand .... well them and Adidas. JMO

Puma does seem like a younger, but Cobra seems like an older brand to me. Probably because my mom has a cobra driver...

Interesting to see the marketing when it happens.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It is lying to you. He has always been an JL player. I wonder what this does to Camillo's endorsements now? Still JL, or is there pressure to wear Puma?? Does Fowler start to play Cobra clubs?? It will be fun to find out.

I wonder if Camilo will drop FootJoy and go to Puma shoes or if he will drop Cobra and go for Titleist clubs. I wouldn't expect any change midseason though.

I remember reading earlier this year that Cobras tour presence was going to be essentially dissolved and all their players would be moved to Titleist. I'm curious how the sale of Cobra will impact that. My guess would be that all the Cobra guys will move to Titleist.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I remember reading earlier this year that Cobras tour presence was going to be essentially dissolved and all their players would be moved to Titleist. I'm curious how the sale of Cobra will impact that. My guess would be that all the Cobra guys will move to Titleist.

Depending on the other thread that may involve moving to NIke or TM. ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

http://golf.puma.com/us/en/2010/03/11/puma-snares-cobra-golf/

Hmm, I'm sure I read this last night, and it ended with the line "Look out for Puma golf clubs soon.", which alarmed me. Doesn't seem to be there now though...

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

I love Google - I know I wasn't going mad!!

4426916468_fb74f1f62d_o.png

I hope they don't ditch Cobra ;)

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

This could be a really good thing or it could end up killing a great golf brand. I'm fearful it may be the latter depending on how many folks defect from Cobra pre and post sale. I'd hate to see what happened to MacGregor and Hogan happen to Cobra also.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Depending on the other thread that may involve moving to NIke or TM. B)

I can't picture Holmes gaming Titleist. There would just be something very wrong with that.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I can't picture Holmes gaming Titleist. There would just be something very wrong with that.

Yeah, he's not the most traditional guy out there. And Cobra built that campaign a couple years back around their guys being bombers, which was cool, but then moving to Titleist does seem jarring.

I think Puma did the right thing in terms of buying Cobra from Acushnet.

It will save them millions of $$$$ in terms of R & D.

By buying Cobra, they can either create two brands, Cobra & Puma brand in Golf Equipment.

A low end and high end golf equipment for anyone's budget.

Golf is the Art of Recovery Shot,

Butz

------

Driver: Diablo 9*/ HyperX 9.5*/ SuperQuad 9.5

Fw: CGB 3w/ NVG2 3w/ CGB max 5w

Hybrid: Mactec UT3/ Raylor 22*

Irons: X20 Tour 4 ~Pw Px5.5 FL / R7 XD 4i ~Pw

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 52*/ Pride 52*/ Callaway X-Forge 58*/ Cg12 58*

Putter: Rife 2bar Mallet / Yes Hanna ....center shaft

I think Puma did the right thing in terms of buying Cobra from Acushnet.

It will save them millions of $$ in terms of R & D.

By buying Cobra, they can either create two brands, Cobra & Puma brand in Golf Equipment.

A low end and high end golf equipment for anyone's budget.

IMO, high end and low end doesn't seem like a great way to go. Here's my thought:

If Puma is the high end, they are devaluing the Cobra brand which is an established, known quantity in golf. Also, who's going to pay top dollar for a golf club made by "a clothing brand"?

If Puma is the low end, does that devalue their clothing line (which is not cheap, IMO)? Think about it this way: would you spend $70+ on a shirt that repped The Hammer.

On second thought...I bet that shirt would allow me to hit a golf ball over a mountain.

IMO, high end and low end doesn't seem like a great way to go. Here's my thought:

If Puma is the high end, they are devaluing the Cobra brand which is an established, known quantity in golf. Also, who's going to pay top dollar for a golf club made by "a clothing brand"?

If Puma is the low end, does that devalue their clothing line (which is not cheap, IMO)? Think about it this way: would you spend $70+ on a shirt that repped The Hammer.

On second thought...I bet that shirt would allow me to hit a golf ball over a mountain.

KAAAAAAPOOOOOOOW!!!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Why is everyone always knocking the hammer. We have one lying around the shop. I've tried it and can honestly say it adds 30 yards...to my 5-iron.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Why is everyone always knocking the hammer. We have one lying around the shop. I've tried it and can honestly say it adds 30 yards...to my 5-iron.

Hahaha, nice. Are you serious about having a Hammer in your shop? I would actually like to hear from someone who's tried it.

Of course. It's made of Zolex. It obsoletes Titanium.

The sketches in the original article are definitely edgier. Like the red and the yellow, but the blue one is not for me.

Added image here for those who missed it.

Talk about flashy. Cobras already have enough sound to get people's attention. Now color?

I think it will be a great mix of companies going forward, and can't wait to see some joint offerings!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 months later...

Hahaha, nice. Are you serious about having a Hammer in your shop? I would actually like to hear from someone who's tried it.

I had one a few years ago. Some guy left it at a local driving range and when it went unclaimed, I bought it for $10. It was a riot. The thing had this bizarro shaft that was tapered toward the middle, and had holes in the toe and heel all providing "aerodynamics." It was only about 25 yards short of my R-5.

• 3 weeks later...

It is an interesting deal. Titleist did a great job reviving the Cobra brand... Now they will be directly competing with PUMA who will have a good headstart on golf - unlike Nike that started from scratch and has saw how difficult it can be to become a player in hard goods. I would think PUMA will be more of competitor to FootJoy down the road. May just be a sign of the times - that Fortune Brands is looking to reduce their golf industry exposure more than worried about competitors.

I think having the #1 golfer, known (at the time) for destroying courses and competitors alike, helped give Nike a pretty strong foothold... at least, from the marketing side of things. Of course, I wasn't paying much attention to that stuff back then, so I could also be wrong.

My question is, will they still call it Cobra, or change it? It was smart of adidas to leave well enough alone, but will Puma mess with a brand name?

I think Cobra Puma becomes the top PR/New Golfer beast with the young, stylish crowd they have signed together. With Tiger failing, this is the company to watch bring Nike back down to earth.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived