Puma Buys Cobra!!

GolfSpy_X

I can't picture Holmes gaming Titleist. There would just be something very wrong with that.

Yeah, he's not the most traditional guy out there. And Cobra built that campaign a couple years back around their guys being bombers, which was cool, but then moving to Titleist does seem jarring.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I think Puma did the right thing in terms of buying Cobra from Acushnet.

It will save them millions of $$$$ in terms of R & D.

By buying Cobra, they can either create two brands, Cobra & Puma brand in Golf Equipment.

A low end and high end golf equipment for anyone's budget.

Golf is the Art of Recovery Shot,

Butz

------

Driver: Diablo 9*/ HyperX 9.5*/ SuperQuad 9.5

Fw: CGB 3w/ NVG2 3w/ CGB max 5w

Hybrid: Mactec UT3/ Raylor 22*

Irons: X20 Tour 4 ~Pw Px5.5 FL / R7 XD 4i ~Pw

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 52*/ Pride 52*/ Callaway X-Forge 58*/ Cg12 58*

Putter: Rife 2bar Mallet / Yes Hanna ....center shaft

I think Puma did the right thing in terms of buying Cobra from Acushnet.

It will save them millions of $$ in terms of R & D.

By buying Cobra, they can either create two brands, Cobra & Puma brand in Golf Equipment.

A low end and high end golf equipment for anyone's budget.

IMO, high end and low end doesn't seem like a great way to go. Here's my thought:

If Puma is the high end, they are devaluing the Cobra brand which is an established, known quantity in golf. Also, who's going to pay top dollar for a golf club made by "a clothing brand"?

If Puma is the low end, does that devalue their clothing line (which is not cheap, IMO)? Think about it this way: would you spend $70+ on a shirt that repped The Hammer.

On second thought...I bet that shirt would allow me to hit a golf ball over a mountain.

IMO, high end and low end doesn't seem like a great way to go. Here's my thought:

If Puma is the high end, they are devaluing the Cobra brand which is an established, known quantity in golf. Also, who's going to pay top dollar for a golf club made by "a clothing brand"?

If Puma is the low end, does that devalue their clothing line (which is not cheap, IMO)? Think about it this way: would you spend $70+ on a shirt that repped The Hammer.

On second thought...I bet that shirt would allow me to hit a golf ball over a mountain.

KAAAAAAPOOOOOOOW!!!!!

Driver - :taylormade-small:   SIM2 Max 9° Tour MT 6-S   or   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway - :srixon-small: ZX  3 wd. Ventus VeloCore Blue S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

• SPY VIP

Why is everyone always knocking the hammer. We have one lying around the shop. I've tried it and can honestly say it adds 30 yards...to my 5-iron.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Why is everyone always knocking the hammer. We have one lying around the shop. I've tried it and can honestly say it adds 30 yards...to my 5-iron.

Hahaha, nice. Are you serious about having a Hammer in your shop? I would actually like to hear from someone who's tried it.

The sketches in the original article are definitely edgier. Like the red and the yellow, but the blue one is not for me.

Added image here for those who missed it.

Talk about flashy. Cobras already have enough sound to get people's attention. Now color?

• 2 months later...

Hahaha, nice. Are you serious about having a Hammer in your shop? I would actually like to hear from someone who's tried it.

I had one a few years ago. Some guy left it at a local driving range and when it went unclaimed, I bought it for $10. It was a riot. The thing had this bizarro shaft that was tapered toward the middle, and had holes in the toe and heel all providing "aerodynamics." It was only about 25 yards short of my R-5.

• 3 weeks later...

It is an interesting deal. Titleist did a great job reviving the Cobra brand... Now they will be directly competing with PUMA who will have a good headstart on golf - unlike Nike that started from scratch and has saw how difficult it can be to become a player in hard goods. I would think PUMA will be more of competitor to FootJoy down the road. May just be a sign of the times - that Fortune Brands is looking to reduce their golf industry exposure more than worried about competitors.

I think having the #1 golfer, known (at the time) for destroying courses and competitors alike, helped give Nike a pretty strong foothold... at least, from the marketing side of things. Of course, I wasn't paying much attention to that stuff back then, so I could also be wrong.

My question is, will they still call it Cobra, or change it? It was smart of adidas to leave well enough alone, but will Puma mess with a brand name?

I think Cobra Puma becomes the top PR/New Golfer beast with the young, stylish crowd they have signed together. With Tiger failing, this is the company to watch bring Nike back down to earth.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg