TESTERS WANTED! ×

Newbie questions

I've got a few questions as someone who just picked up the game this year.

How often do you go through gloves?  Do you swear by any brand or model in particular or do you just get whatever is available at the time?  I was thinking about trying to pick up something in bulk just to lessen the cost; in my limited experience (buying from walmart) there doesn't seem to be huge differences between different gloves.

I'm going to get fitted at some point, but is there any hurry in doing so?  I have so much inconsistency in my swing; would it be more prudent to wait to get more consistent results?  I also don't plan to do much upgrading any time soon anyway.  While it seems like it would be a fun process to go through it feels like it would be mostly unnecessary until I'm more ready to upgrade my bag.

How prudently do you follow the rules?  I haven't broken 100 yet and honestly have to guess my score on the occasional hole.  Does one brag about a particular score if they dont count that foot wedge or couple of mulligans?  I feel that at my level, and just playing with friends, the details don't matter too much as much as the process of learning and getting better.  Other than a sanctioned round, is there a certain...threshold?...where the rules matter more?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I echo Tom's thoughts.  Don't worry too much about the rules while you're learning -- well, at least to the extent that your golf buddies will allow.  As you improve your game and start playing competitively, following the rules becomes more of an issue.  And, needless to say, if you're playing an official tournament, you don't want to cheat and earn that reputation amongst your fellow competitors.  For now though, just enjoy yourself out there!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, JerryB said:

I've got a few questions as someone who just picked up the game this year.

JerryB   Let me welcome you to the game. 

First I have used probably every brand of glove imaginable.   Some given the size of that particular brand just seem to fit better than others.  That being said I am using sub 15 dollar gloves. I have bought "bulk" (3 for $20) gloves for the last 5 or so years at the Golf Show in Cleveland.  If the Golf Show doesn't come back I will buy Sub $15 gloves from Wal-Mart again.  I will not pay 25-30 dollars for gloves, like I saw some priced at a PGA store, EVER! 

Second:  I have never had a fitting, or a lesson.  Spend on golf what you want, and most importantly can afford to spend (only you know what that is). Lessons, fittings, and new equipment, are nice, but not essential.  But my opinion is that going to a range/ practice area and practicing, ESPECIALLY chipping, and putting will almost  always improve your game more than buying new equipment.  My driver is 7 years old, 2 hybrids and 3wood (12 years), Putter about 6, only recently did I replace my 8 year old irons with a brand new set of Mavriks.(They were a retirement gift to me, from me, and will use them as long as I can play from this point forward, unless I win a set somehow).

Most importantly play at a pace where you are not slowing down anyone behind you. With this one caveat, you follow whatever rules you want to follow.  Play to have FUN!!!  Unless  and until you want to join a club and play for a club championship, or some other USGA sanctioned event have FUN.  Drive till your happy, foot wedge, hand wedge liberally.  Until you get some practice out of bunkers, don't play out of them, or make one attempt, and then hand wedge out to the side.  Play lift clean and place year round, give yourself all the advantage you can to make good contact with the ball.  As you play and improve you may realize that it is time to start hitting that punch out instead of using the footwedge. BUT IF YOU FIND YOU HAVE FUN PLAYING THE GAME WITHOUT FOLLOWING MOST OF THE RULES, YOU JUST STICK WITH THAT!!!  Don't let the rules take the fun out of the game for you!

Edited by stuka44
spelling correction

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On gloves, they ask for differently for sure. If the ones you are using have a long thumb or short fingers, narrow palm, etc... Go to a golf store and try a bunch on until you find one that fits and stick with it. 

A few lessons starting out so that you don't build any really bad habits that could affect you down the road would be money well spent. 

Rules are, good to know, less important to follow when starting out. Go golf. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Gloves last for a long time if you dont use them! I almost never wear one. If its super hot/humid ill put one on if i feel like im slipping too much. I also have very tough hands so i dont blister, even playing 108 holes in 3 days. I have weird hands though, short and fat so im very limited by glove options that fit well. Stuck spending 25$. 

Fitting is never a bad idea, but if your still very inconsistent, youll be harder to fit well and the gains may not be as long lasting. 

Part of the enjoyment for ME with this sport is playing with new to me equipment. For example, I dont buy a new putter cause its gonna make me putt better. I buy one for fun. Better putting comes from practice. If you have the disposable income, buy as much as you want. 

Rules only matter if you keep score. You cant brag about breaking 80 if you used the old foot wedge 6 times and had 4 breakfast balls. Dont be that guy. 

The great thing about golf is that you can enjoy it however YOU want!  

My 3 tips for a beginner…..

ETIQUETTE! Dont hold up the course! Let smaller groups play through if you are slower, fix your divots! 
HAVE FUN! Even the best in the world hit crap balls frequently.
PRACTICE! 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Welcome to the forum and to the sport. Glove longevity depends a bit on the environment its worn in.  I wear one out about every 30 rounds.  Most recently I started using Kirkland and am finding their fit and quality very good for the price.  They are lasting longer than the Callaway's I had used previously.  They do run a bit on the large side.  I usually wear large but find their M/L perfect.

As for a fitting now, I share the others recommendation to invest in lessons instead.  Not only will you get some sound fundamentals to build on, but very likely the instructor will have some recommendations on what to consider in clubs and shafts... kind of a twofer 🙂

Concerning rules and keeping accurate score, that's a double edge sword. On one hand it's good to get started playing as you eventually will (well, most players anyway).  On the other hand, don't get too obsessive about it either and make sure enjoying the game is first and foremost.  

Have fun!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Gloves - Get one that fits properly

Fitting - Take some lessons first and learn to strike the ball solid

Golf Rules - Learn Golf Etiquette First And Always Follow That

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Thanks for the advice everyone. Pace of play is no problem, the lad and I move almost too fast through a round.  We had some stumbles regarding course etiquette, though.  We were definitely the villains in at least one guy's story...

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

The Callaway gloves form Costco are a good buy. 

Lessons and fittings don’t have to be separate items or timing. If your goal is play better you will need to learn the proper swing mechanics as well as have equipment that compliments your swing and not equipment that causes you to create a swing to make the equipment work.

Avoiding the development of a bad swing or movements patterns early in your journey. Find a coach to teach you then swing and one that has the capability of doing fittings. If there’s isnt one then use that coach or find another that you gel with from a communication and learning perspective. Ask him or her what fitter they recommend and if the coach will assist with the fitting to make sure the fitter isn’t putting you into something that contradicts what the coach is trying to accomplish in the lessons

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Good points on here.

As for rules I will add...

Breaking rules is fine when learning and playing casually, especially if it keeps pace of play moving.  But take the opportunity to learn the rules and be aware of 'when' you are doing it as much as you can.  If you don't know you are breaking rules then you can forget to follow them when it matters.

Gloves, depends on weather and how much you sweat. I stick with the FootJoy Weathersof. When on sale, I think it's the best bang for buck out there. I would stay away from full synthetic. I remember I tried Mizuno Bioflex or something, after 2 holes my hands were drenched in sweat, 0 breathability and stiff synthetic leather. I go through about 2 gloves per season (playing about 7 months, at least 2 rounds per week, no range time).

Unless you got a really weird build, too tall, too short or arms hanging down like a monkey, you can probably get away with a standard set off the rack and work on mechanics first. At this stage, I doubt you can squeeze the last inch of performance from a perfectly fitted, newest set of irons.

Don't be too strict with rules, you are just learning and having fun. But that's a two way road, if you are not following the rules 100%, there is also no point in bragging about a score. Nobody will have a problem with the number on your scorecard, but they certainly will have issues with that score being submitted in tournaments or money games.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Gloves:  I buy cheaper gloves but prefer leather.  I go to MG and buy them like 5 at a time.  I do love Titleist gloves but hate the price so I avoid them.

Fitting: Get lessons first.  Lie wont matter if you can't hit the ball.  Get fitted for your second set of clubs once you are more consistent.  With that said though, fit yourself for gapping.  Try not to have some huge gap between like 90 yards and 130. 

Rules:  This one is the toughest to answer.  If you want a handicap, play by the no mulligans, foot wedges, etc. Those ones directly impact your score and if you ever were to get into a cash game you'd be giving too few strokes.  But some rules you can almost ignore the entire time until in a competitive round (ex: not touching sand on back swing).  Draw a line in the sand if you want all the way up to a true competitive round just so you can get better.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

14 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Golf Rules - Learn Golf Etiquette First And Always Follow That

I like this advice the best so far, etiquette is vastly more important and relevant for most rounds of golf. If you get paired up with a random at a course, they probably wont care if you move your ball/take a free drop or kick it here or there. But walk through their line on the putting green and WWIII could ensue. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Gloves- I have seen reviews on the kirkland (costco) gloves as a great glove for the money. also I have picked up a couple of these to try and they aren't bad either. https://mggolf.com/golf-gloves/

Take a few lessons to get the basics and potentially eliminate bad habits or swings. (more important than you think)

when I was new I would let any group no matter the size play thru just to stay out of the way as well as I didn't like having a tee box audience LOL

Plus I was hitting it into the trees off the tee and then thinking I could make the hero shot through the trees rather than punching it back out.LOL 4 shots later along the tree line. LOL

I kept score just because I wanted to learn and it did not discourage me. Im pretty strict on myself but new friends that play, if they need to drop etc, I tell them to put it in the fairway or light rough rather than the deep stuff, no sense making it harder on yourself. I have a friend that wants to have a comp every time we play and he cheats every time we play. If i followed him an entire round and just kept his score he'd rarely break a 100, but always says he shot in the 80's. this is the guy you don't want to be. LOL

most of all just have fun and make it how you enjoy it the most.

I use Kirkland Gloves as they are well priced and for me last at least 10 rounds. I am yet to wear one out, usually I change because they have become dry and crispy.

I agree that lessons are essential however make sure you ask the pro to check you have your clubs set up properly - for example is the grip the correct thickness, lie angle etc as all of these can usually be easily changed and at little expense.

The amount of golfer I play with that do not know the rules and therefor do not use them to their advantage is surprising. It can make the difference between a good round and a great round. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Lots of great advice already in this thread. Learning etiquette is just as important as learning the rules of golf, you want to have fun out there as you learn the game and you want to be a good playing partner when paired up with folks. My first few years I followed rules loosely, partly because I didn't know them and partly because I wanted to just figure out how to get around a golf course 🙂 I'm much more strict with myself nowadays because I want to know exactly where my game is at, so no foot wedges, no mulligans, etc. But I also tell folks I'm playing with that I have zero problem with them doing whatever they want to ensure they have fun out there, especially someone who's new to the game. I don't play for money or anything along those lines, it's all about enjoying being out on the course.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 hours ago, dcherif said:

Gloves- I have seen reviews on the kirkland (costco) gloves as a great glove for the money. also I have picked up a couple of these to try and they aren't bad either. https://mggolf.com/golf-gloves/

Take a few lessons to get the basics and potentially eliminate bad habits or swings. (more important than you think)

when I was new I would let any group no matter the size play thru just to stay out of the way as well as I didn't like having a tee box audience LOL

Plus I was hitting it into the trees off the tee and then thinking I could make the hero shot through the trees rather than punching it back out.LOL 4 shots later along the tree line. LOL

I kept score just because I wanted to learn and it did not discourage me. Im pretty strict on myself but new friends that play, if they need to drop etc, I tell them to put it in the fairway or light rough rather than the deep stuff, no sense making it harder on yourself. I have a friend that wants to have a comp every time we play and he cheats every time we play. If i followed him an entire round and just kept his score he'd rarely break a 100, but always says he shot in the 80's. this is the guy you don't want to be. LOL

most of all just have fun and make it how you enjoy it the most.

I've also used both of those gloves and they are just fine.  I think I prefer the MG gloves as the fit on the costco ones are inconsistent but i've never had an issue where I felt like I had to return the glove.

I think all of the major points have been covered but one thing I would add which is something I was told many years ago...."Take your medicine". 

It will help your game no end if you take the best shot for your position on the course, not the hero shot. If you're in the trees, play out - don't go for a shot that you may hit 1/100. One shot playing out could save you 3 shots if it all goes wrong and it can have a massive impact on confidence and, more importantly, your enjoyment of the game. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

The only thing I can add about etiquette is to communicate when you're partnered up with strangers or people you don't know. If I'm in those situations, I always ask the people I'm partnered with how strict they are about the rules/etiquette and if they mind me being a bit looser. If you can avoid the landmines altogether from a one minute conversation, why not?

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

12 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I've also used both of those gloves and they are just fine.  I think I prefer the MG gloves as the fit on the costco ones are inconsistent but i've never had an issue where I felt like I had to return the glove.

I've not got to play the kirkland gloves because Im an lefty and have not seen them for us.

JerryB:  I saw your post w/all your questions & felt compelled to respond. 1st a little about me... I'm a fairly small woman in my mid 50's & this year (2021) is my 3rd season playing as I began in Spring of 2019. I have an active GHIN & my handicap is 26 currently. I've learned to hit pretty well as my drive now averages about 175 yrds & is usually straight. I live close to a nice course (par 72) & golf every chance I get due to being a member at said course (course is semi-private). Membership cost is kind of expensive all at once but most courses do payment plans. The biggest perk of being a member is: unlimited play all season! So, if you have time to play often... A membership is truly cost effective over an entire season! Getting out there & playing as much as you can is what's going to improve your game! But, go to the range & hit a lot of balls! Use every club in your bag so you will know what kind of distance you get on average out of each club. That way on course, you'll have a good idea of distance you get from each club, & what club to hit on a given shot based on where you want ball to come to rest (aiming for green, want to lay-up before a hazard, etc...) ultimately increasing pace of play. Just remember "club up" going uphill... I.E. If you'd use a 6 iron for 150 yrds on flat fairway but green is 150 yrds uphill from your lie... Use a 5 iron in lieu of 6 to reach green ("clubbing up"). 

Find a good instructor (a PGA Pro preferably) & take a few lessons. A good Pro instructor can immediately spot "bad habits" you may have developed, help you break them, & can instruct you on proper fundamentals of your swing. Greater distance comes with time but focus on consistency 1st! It's better to hit ball 100 yrds straight down the middle than 200 yrds so far into woods ball will never be seen again! Do a Google search in your area for "beginner golf instructors" as many don't work at a specific course. If several choices come up on search... Take the time to read about him/her... Years of teaching experience, credentials/qualifications, services offered (private, group, course mgt, clinics, etc...), & prices. Find a couple/few instructors & set up an "Intro lesson" with him/her & see how it goes. They should NOT be the authoritarian type! They should NOT be intimidating! They should be patient, able to explain proper techniques & exactly the changes (however slight) you personally can make. They should be able to explain exactly how & when to properly use each club (driver, hybrids, irons, wedges, putter) in your bag. When you find one you're comfortable with... Take at least a couple/few 1 hour lessons with him/her. It will do wonders for your game & you'll notice instantly on course if you employ said instuctor's advice! Avoid listening to friends (they'll all say something different & only confuse you), your Grandfather who's clubs are the same one's he bought in 1962 because equipment now is NOT the same, or some... who knows who... on The Internet that has a handicap of 42! Listen to a Pro Instructor that is a "scratch" golfer! Oh, FYI... There is a great video series called "The Skill Code" that has a slew of great, informative info! I know it's available on Amazon Prime to stream.

As for gloves... Mine last me on average about 40+ rounds. I use cabretta leather gloves. I usually get them in packs of 6. I use a brand called "SG" & they're available on Ebay for about $30 for 6 gloves. 

The rules of the game... A lot of recent changes went into effect per The USGA who are the official rule writers. You can access the official rules (full version & player's version) at USGA.org or The USGA has an App for Apple & Android. It's a good idea to know them! If you ever play on a league at a course you'll need to know rules because on most leagues they are adhered to & handicap is used (determines number of strokes you're either getting or giving). 

Golf etiquette is usually practiced by most players & a lot of players will get upset if not adhered to (pace of play, not letting group behind you play through if your group is slow, replacing turf into a deep divot, jumping holes, etc...). It's best to adhere & practice proper etiquette. 

Most importantly... Have fun!! It is a lot of fun & can become addictive! The more you play, the better you'll get & the better you get the more you'll want to play! Also, remember the only shot you need to worry about is your next one because you can't change your last one! It's anything but monotonous... You can birdie a hole one day & hit a quad bogey on it the next... That's golf! Just enjoy yourself & have fun 1st & foremost! 😀

Grip it & Rip it! 

Like in my other topic, some great advice and thank you!

New question...what's the deal with iron covers?  People either seem apathetic or are strongly against them.  As a lazy person, I'd rather not deal with club covers at all, but the clanking when I walk or ride drives me nuts.  Is there possibly a way to arrange the clubs to eliminate the noise?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

29 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Iron covers are the golf equivalent of white tape holding the bridge of your glasses together. Golf NERD!!! Not to mention they are yet another thing to fuss with and slow down play. They give the impression that you are just a little too precious for your own good. Other than that, nothing wrong with them. 

Yeah, but why don’t you tell us how you really feel about them? 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Yeah, but why don’t you tell us how you really feel about them? 

I like iron covers. They have numbers on them so, while taking your club out of the bag, you also take the cover off.  By doing this all in one motion, you save time and it is no fuss at all… not slowing anyone down. As far as keeping the clubs looking pristine… what is wrong with that? Revenge of the NERD’s was a great movie.  

I have no need for iron covers.  I do use a putter cover (MGS, thank you very much), driver cover (also MGS) and FW covers.  No on the iron covers.  I think I bought some once.  PITA for me.  Dinged irons is a good excuse for me to buy new ones. 😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

5 hours ago, JerryB said:

New question...what's the deal with iron covers?  People either seem apathetic or are strongly against them.  As a lazy person, I'd rather not deal with club covers at all, but the clanking when I walk or ride drives me nuts.  Is there possibly a way to arrange the clubs to eliminate the noise?

First off, welcome to the world of golf.  

This is a really good thread with lots of helpful answers, but asking about iron covers in a golf forum is like asking my wife if the pepperoni should be above or below the cheese on a pizza.  It’s gonna start a rumble…

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag
On 8/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, JerryB said:

A couple of suggestions:

1. Purchase a golf bag that has a 14 way divider,personally I think this helps.

2. I have a couple of golf towels, one between my long irons and middle irons, second one between middle irons and short irons.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

skip the iron covers but I definitely keep my driver, 3 wood and hybrids covered and the putter.  I just don't want them getting scratched and beat up looking. Especially when you consider what they all cost, I like them to stay looking nice.  Irons, I'd never cover personally, just don't get bothered by marks on them, do keep them clean for sure.  Welcome to the crazy world of golf.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft