TESTERS WANTED! ×

Newbie questions

23 hours ago, GaDawg said:

A couple of suggestions:

1. Purchase a golf bag that has a 14 way divider,personally I think this helps.

2. I have a couple of golf towels, one between my long irons and middle irons, second one between middle irons and short irons.

I do have the 14 way divider, definitely helps. Is there a particular way to arrange the clubs that might make a difference?  I like the towel idea too.  Going to need to do a little more research, thanks!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the driver, why do people sometimes put it away mid round? Is it about the score? Or frustration over bad shots? Something else?

I want to hit every club as often as possible in a round and try different things.  Use a hybrid out of a fairway bunker, try a flop shot from the fringe, etc.  Bad (or stupid) shots do not affect my enjoyment of the round.  I figure every thing I do is a bit of a learning experience.

That being said, most of my golf time is spent on the course with my son and friends as opposed to on the range.  I don't have much opportunity to do actual practice.  If I do make it to the range, it's a little more mindless than purposeful.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

2 hours ago, JerryB said:

With regards to the driver, why do people sometimes put it away mid round? Is it about the score? Or frustration over bad shots? Something else?

We can all have 'one of those days' when you just don't hit certain clubs well, so you use safer options if you can.

2 hours ago, JerryB said:

I want to hit every club as often as possible in a round and try different things.  Use a hybrid out of a fairway bunker, try a flop shot from the fringe, etc.  Bad (or stupid) shots do not affect my enjoyment of the round.  I figure every thing I do is a bit of a learning experience.

That, I think, is good idea and attitude, especially when learning or playing practice/casual rounds when your score doesn't matter.  If/when you do play more 'serious' rounds then you will be able to use that experience to pick the best option for the situation.

10 hours ago, JerryB said:

That being said, most of my golf time is spent on the course with my son and friends as opposed to on the range.  I don't have much opportunity to do actual practice.  If I do make it to the range, it's a little more mindless than purposeful.

So a consistent saying that is found in golf is that "lower handicappers hit easier shots more often and higher handicappers hit harder shots more often." Aka, a lot of them are hitting good tee shots into good positions (fairway or first cut), which gives them easy second shots etc. When their main tee club (most commonly the driver) isn't working, many will use a more consistent club and just adjust their round to being a little shorter rather than longer but constantly OB or in bad situations. 

I'm with you, for variety and figuring stuff out, I enjoy hitting a bunch of different shots so I can continue learning. But if I'm doing that, I'm acknowledging that I'm risking scoring higher in a round. A lot of better golfers I know don't want that risk because nailing an insanely hard shot feels great, but shooting 10 over their handicap will have them cursing the rest of the day.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

10 hours ago, JerryB said:

Simply put, golf is about scoring the lowest possible score.  You do that by not only learning the basic mechanics of ball striking, but by putting yourself in a position to score par as often as you can.  You don't do that by hitting shots that can put you in a position to score double bogey or worse.   Yeah, it's fun to hit an incredible shot thru the trees, over the water, and onto the green when all odds are against you, but if you're going to fail that shot 7 out of 10 times, it's simply a bad decision that costs you additional strokes and you end up taking a triple bogey rather than punching out safely and walking off the green with no more than a bogey.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

How does one go about figuring and tracking their handicap?  And beyond that, does every round count, like a casual round with friends? Or is it just in leagues or tournaments?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

40 minutes ago, MNUte said:

When their main tee club (most commonly the driver) isn't working, many will use a more consistent club and just adjust their round to being a little shorter rather than longer but constantly OB or in bad situations. 

I don't have the consistency yet to really make the determination, but how quickly do you realize the driver (or whatever club) isn't working that day? Can't be just one drive, right?  Is it two or three bad ones in a row, half a round, what have you?  Or is it eventually just a "You know it when you see it" situation?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

4 minutes ago, JerryB said:

How does one go about figuring and tracking their handicap?  And beyond that, does every round count, like a casual round with friends? Or is it just in leagues or tournaments?

If you join a club, most of them provide a service (for a fee) with GHIN to track your handicap.  If you choose to do it on your own, you can use Grint or any other handicap tracking service online.  When you play tournaments, I'm not sure if the self kept handicap services are sufficient or not.  Perhaps someone else can clarify that.

Every round counts when computing handicap (unless you're just out practicing and hitting extra balls or otherwise not scoring by the rules of golf), casual and tournament play.  You can post 9 hole scores.  Handicaps are based on the lowest 8 scores of the most recent 20.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Just now, JerryB said:

I don't have the consistency yet to really make the determination, but how quickly do you realize the driver (or whatever club) isn't working that day? Can't be just one drive, right?  Is it two or three bad ones in a row, half a round, what have you?  Or is it eventually just a "You know it when you see it" situation?

That's a personal question that changes by the player. For me, it's a string of questions based on how I'm hitting it in my warm up. 

1. Is my shot shape consistent? I tend to hit a bit of a fade, but my miss tends to be a slice. However, when my back flares up, I can occasionally pull/hook it. If I'm missing in every direction, I just will take my 5 iron off the tee and settle for a nice 200 yard, fairly straight shot. But if my driver is missing in the same direction, I'll move to the next question. 

2. Is today's shot shape conducive to the course? Some of my favorite courses are shorter but super tight. So if I'm playing one of them and I'm slicing 40 yards, I'll go with my iron rather than take the OB penalty. If it's a more open course, I'll take out the driver and take advantage of the extra 50+ yards of distance.

3. Once I'm hitting my driver in a round, is it feeling right? If I hit two or three tee shots and it's just not feeling right, that messes with my confidence on future tee shots. Or if it feels good initially, but my last few tee shots to finish the front nine tank. And confidence will affect my results. So I'd rather play a shorter shot the remainder of the round that I'm confident in. 

All just about knowing your game and knowing what does and doesn't work for you. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

I think Kirkland gloves are gonna be your bulk buy to save on price. I’ve heard sixes can run a little wonky. Going through gloves can be effected by grip-how much pressure and how much you play. I sweat a good bit through my hands so it takes a toll on the leather every 2-3 months

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Gonna keep this short as I'm a little late to the party.

1. Good gloves should last between 15-20 rounds. I prefer leather to synthetic, but a glove is a glove. Buy what you can in bulk if you find one you like. Check eBay.

2. Interest in lessons, then a fitting.

3. Follow the rules, but keep some things in mind. Like pace of play, just pick up after a certain score. Public courses are not going to go out and mark off every single piece of ground under repair. A foot wedge to get out from behind a tree is a no-no. Moving the ball out of a muddy, tire track filled rut that the course didn't put a white line around, that's fine. Also keep the optional USGA rules in mind like playing everything as red stakes and taking the 2 stroke drop in fairway instead of strike & distance for OB.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

As usual, thank you all for taking the time for helpful tips and other replies.

New question... I'm left handed but swing righty. As I sign up for websites or contests or such, it usually asks for your dexterity.  I indicate that I am righty... right?  Is there a situation in golf where swinging righty but throwing lefty would be an issue?

More important question; how do you know your club lofts? Is it something you just "know" when you purchase them or is the information out there somewhere? It's indicated on everything but the irons in some way, but my clubs were second hand so I have no idea what my PW or 9 are, for wedge gapping purposes.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Sign up for how you swing.  All of the manufacturers have the specs for their clubs on the website and older year catalogues are usually available online.

https://www.cobragolf.com/media/wysiwyg/2013.pdf

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made a few adjustments to how I hit my driver which has resulted in some big improvements.  Where I used to be able to use the same tee for rounds, now it seems I'm snapping a tee on every strike.  Is this normal?

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

21 minutes ago, JerryB said:

I've made a few adjustments to how I hit my driver which has resulted in some big improvements.  Where I used to be able to use the same tee for rounds, now it seems I'm snapping a tee on every strike.  Is this normal?

I find it more ground condition related compared to swing related. If the ground is firm you will snap the tee more often. Softer turf will give way and not snap the tee as much. I can have several rounds and not break a tee and the next round, like today, I broke six. It hasn't really rained much this past week. The ground was not giving way to flip the tee out. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

38 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Could be due to a downward angle of attack with the driver.  But if you are hitting the ball well,  don't worry about it. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

if you are hitting the ball well

Whoa there... there's a difference between "improvements" and "well!" 🤣

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

21 hours ago, JerryB said:

All good evaluation of the concern here JerryB.  Don't worry about it.  Since the day I've started playing, I've broken probably 13-15 wooden tees a round, and never really considered it.  I will say that  the last two years I've went to the "3 yards more" plastic tee, and can use that for 10 plus rounds before it breaks. It doesn't really give me 3 yards more, but it does give me a very consistent tee height on each and every drive which is why I've continued to use it.  I originally started to use it because my daughter bought me them for my birthday, and I wanted to honestly say I tried to use them.  I noticed much more consistent trajectory, and contact  off the tee. Just a thought if breaking tees is going to distract you in any way.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Thanks again for the insights everyone.  I bought a bag of plastic tees that also give me a consistent height and haven't had a problem since.

New question, mostly in jest: Is there some kind of law that says all cart paths must be an adventure to navigate?  Every single course I've been to, the paths look like they've had bombs exploding on them.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

• 3 weeks later...

Another new question, more serious this time, living near Chicago.  People have started making mention of shutting it down for the season.  What do courses do to shut down for the winter months?  Do they pick an end date and close up shop?  Do rules or conditions change, like with leaves everywhere and such?  Just wondering what to expect for the last month or so of the season.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

36 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Another new question, more serious this time, living near Chicago.  People have started making mention of shutting it down for the season.  What do courses do to shut down for the winter months?  Do they pick an end date and close up shop?  Do rules or conditions change, like with leaves everywhere and such?  Just wondering what to expect for the last month or so of the season.

Depends on the course. Some shutdown all winter, some use temp tee markers or cut out a temp green. I play some curses that use two holes on each green and when you get there you love the pin to the other hole.

Courses that stay open at round here will blow leaves to one side of the hole. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Speaking from where I live in Cleveland we have a few courses that stay open all year round even with the snow. I would expect that you may find 1-2 courses that would do that where you are at. Their is a caveat, many force you to walk

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Depends on the course. Some shutdown all winter, some use temp tee markers or cut out a temp green. I play some curses that use two holes on each green and when you get there you love the pin to the other hole.

Courses that stay open at round here will blow leaves to one side of the hole. 

Yep. In salt lake, some courses stay open all winter and only say no play if there's snow on the ground. Which is fun because the cold and wet present different challenges than Utah summers. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

31 minutes ago, MNUte said:

Yep. In salt lake, some courses stay open all winter and only say no play if there's snow on the ground. Which is fun because the cold and wet present different challenges than Utah summers. 

I’ve played several times on Xmas day in DC area hes sue it was above 40 and not very windy. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 months later...
On 10/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, JerryB said:

Past Jerry, this is Future Jerry here to answer your question.  Buena shuts down on Halloween no matter what, but River will stay open and take your money for as long as the ground is clear.  Once it snows they shut the clubhouse down for the season but leave the tee markers and flags in place.  They are totally okay with people walking the course during the winter and in fact there are a few people that will go out at least once a month no matter the weather just to say that they did it. 

Don't bother trying to be one of those guys.  You're going to try it once, get through two holes and realize you're being ridiculous. 

Now I have a couple new questions related to watching the pros on TV.  Why were there two events this weekend?  Are there actually that many events that there isn't another open weekend somewhere?  Nothing I've searched really touches on why this happens.

After watching that brutal (in a good way) final round, I've seen several articles refer to the API as another Open event.  I...dont get the reference.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

2 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Past Jerry, this is Future Jerry here to answer your question.  Buena shuts down on Halloween no matter what, but River will stay open and take your money for as long as the ground is clear.  Once it snows they shut the clubhouse down for the season but leave the tee markers and flags in place.  They are totally okay with people walking the course during the winter and in fact there are a few people that will go out at least once a month no matter the weather just to say that they did it. 

Don't bother trying to be one of those guys.  You're going to try it once, get through two holes and realize you're being ridiculous. 

Now I have a couple new questions related to watching the pros on TV.  Why were there two events this weekend?  Are there actually that many events that there isn't another open weekend somewhere?  Nothing I've searched really touches on why this happens.

After watching that brutal (in a good way) final round, I've seen several articles refer to the API as another Open event.  I...dont get the reference.

I will give it a whirl for you - I found great humor in the past/future Jerry thing - nice!

There are actually more events than the calendar allows.  There are several weeks where there will be two events at the same time.  Normally this happens opposite an exclusively invitational like the Masters or next week's Players championship.  I'm guessing that since Arnie's tournament is an Invitational it opened the door for the opposite field event.

The US Open is notorious for its difficult conditions and that's where the reference came from.  Conditions were very tough this past weekend.  A part of that toughness was the course set up but also our weather in Florida has been dry and windy over the past several weeks - ideal weather for firming up a course and making greens dry and crusty, throw in a state of the art watering system to make the rough sticky and you got what you saw, US Open like conditions.  I hit balls at the range yesterday afternoon and the wind was all over the place.  It was wiping across the range, one swing it was across with and the next across into - sometimes that switched while the ball was in the air.  No big deal on the range but imagine it switching while you are hitting to a pin that's 20 feet from a water hazard or 6 inch deep rough.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Once it snows they shut the clubhouse down for the season but leave the tee markers and flags in place.  They are totally okay with people walking the course during the winter and in fact there are a few people that will go out at least once a month no matter the weather just to say that they did it. 

... After living in Chicago 42 years (which was at least 40 years too many) this is the reason I moved to Phoenix. Far too cold for human beings let alone golfers. Being cooped up, anytime the temps get near 50 everyone flocks to the course even though the ground, wind and lack of sunshine would dictate the only games you should be playing are board games in front of a fireplace. I never understood the "ridiculous" midwesterners that went out in sub freezing weather with snow/ice on the ground and do something that just maybe ever so vaguely in an abstract sort of way kinda resembles actually playing golf. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

16 minutes ago, revkev said:

There are actually more events than the calendar allows.  There are several weeks where there will be two events at the same time.  Normally this happens opposite an exclusively invitational like the Masters or next week's Players championship.  I'm guessing that since Arnie's tournament is an Invitational it opened the door for the opposite field event.

I'd never really put much thought into it but I tried to do a deeper dive into the concurrent tournaments thing and wound up reading about differing FedEx Cup points and how people qualify for Tour status and different tournaments and such...made my head spin!  But I suppose an opposite field event like the Puerto Rico Open opens the door for a great story like Ryan Brehm's.  He was playing on a minor medical exception (not entirely sure how that works) and needed to finish no worse than solo second to keep his tour card and wound up winning, with his wife as his caddy, no less.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... After living in Chicago 42 years (which was at least 40 years too many) this is the reason I moved to Phoenix. Far too cold for human beings let alone golfers. Being cooped up, anytime the temps get near 50 everyone flocks to the course even though the ground, wind and lack of sunshine would dictate the only games you should be playing are board games in front of a fireplace. I never understood the "ridiculous" midwesterners that went out in sub freezing weather with snow/ice on the ground and do something that just maybe ever so vaguely in an abstract sort of way kinda resembles actually playing golf. 

I couldn't get out on Saturday when it got into the mid sixties, but I heard the course was packed when they opened for a pop-up day.  Everything is such a mushy mess from all the melted snow, to me that just doesn't seem...pleasant, I guess. 

My son and I walked a couple holes yesterday when it was low forties and really windy.  We dropped a sleeve of balls each and played any found balls as well.  Was nice to get out and hit with nobody else around but it scratched the itch enough to wait for the conditions to improve for next time.  Snowing again today, so "next time" looks to be a few more weeks away, at least!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

13 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Snowing again today, so "next time" looks to be a few more weeks away, at least!

... First time I went to Los Angeles in 1995 for pilot season from Jan to May 1st and driving home I stopped for gas in Kansas and it was in the low 70's. Tried to make it all the way to Bolingbrook but had to stop in Kankakee to take a leak and as soon as I stepped out of the car on 5/3 in my shorts and tee shirt ... it started snowing. That is when I realized I absolutely should not be living in Chicago. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour