Newbie questions

12 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I've also used both of those gloves and they are just fine.  I think I prefer the MG gloves as the fit on the costco ones are inconsistent but i've never had an issue where I felt like I had to return the glove.

I've not got to play the kirkland gloves because Im an lefty and have not seen them for us.

JerryB:  I saw your post w/all your questions & felt compelled to respond. 1st a little about me... I'm a fairly small woman in my mid 50's & this year (2021) is my 3rd season playing as I began in Spring of 2019. I have an active GHIN & my handicap is 26 currently. I've learned to hit pretty well as my drive now averages about 175 yrds & is usually straight. I live close to a nice course (par 72) & golf every chance I get due to being a member at said course (course is semi-private). Membership cost is kind of expensive all at once but most courses do payment plans. The biggest perk of being a member is: unlimited play all season! So, if you have time to play often... A membership is truly cost effective over an entire season! Getting out there & playing as much as you can is what's going to improve your game! But, go to the range & hit a lot of balls! Use every club in your bag so you will know what kind of distance you get on average out of each club. That way on course, you'll have a good idea of distance you get from each club, & what club to hit on a given shot based on where you want ball to come to rest (aiming for green, want to lay-up before a hazard, etc...) ultimately increasing pace of play. Just remember "club up" going uphill... I.E. If you'd use a 6 iron for 150 yrds on flat fairway but green is 150 yrds uphill from your lie... Use a 5 iron in lieu of 6 to reach green ("clubbing up"). 

Find a good instructor (a PGA Pro preferably) & take a few lessons. A good Pro instructor can immediately spot "bad habits" you may have developed, help you break them, & can instruct you on proper fundamentals of your swing. Greater distance comes with time but focus on consistency 1st! It's better to hit ball 100 yrds straight down the middle than 200 yrds so far into woods ball will never be seen again! Do a Google search in your area for "beginner golf instructors" as many don't work at a specific course. If several choices come up on search... Take the time to read about him/her... Years of teaching experience, credentials/qualifications, services offered (private, group, course mgt, clinics, etc...), & prices. Find a couple/few instructors & set up an "Intro lesson" with him/her & see how it goes. They should NOT be the authoritarian type! They should NOT be intimidating! They should be patient, able to explain proper techniques & exactly the changes (however slight) you personally can make. They should be able to explain exactly how & when to properly use each club (driver, hybrids, irons, wedges, putter) in your bag. When you find one you're comfortable with... Take at least a couple/few 1 hour lessons with him/her. It will do wonders for your game & you'll notice instantly on course if you employ said instuctor's advice! Avoid listening to friends (they'll all say something different & only confuse you), your Grandfather who's clubs are the same one's he bought in 1962 because equipment now is NOT the same, or some... who knows who... on The Internet that has a handicap of 42! Listen to a Pro Instructor that is a "scratch" golfer! Oh, FYI... There is a great video series called "The Skill Code" that has a slew of great, informative info! I know it's available on Amazon Prime to stream.

As for gloves... Mine last me on average about 40+ rounds. I use cabretta leather gloves. I usually get them in packs of 6. I use a brand called "SG" & they're available on Ebay for about $30 for 6 gloves. 

The rules of the game... A lot of recent changes went into effect per The USGA who are the official rule writers. You can access the official rules (full version & player's version) at USGA.org or The USGA has an App for Apple & Android. It's a good idea to know them! If you ever play on a league at a course you'll need to know rules because on most leagues they are adhered to & handicap is used (determines number of strokes you're either getting or giving). 

Golf etiquette is usually practiced by most players & a lot of players will get upset if not adhered to (pace of play, not letting group behind you play through if your group is slow, replacing turf into a deep divot, jumping holes, etc...). It's best to adhere & practice proper etiquette. 

Most importantly... Have fun!! It is a lot of fun & can become addictive! The more you play, the better you'll get & the better you get the more you'll want to play! Also, remember the only shot you need to worry about is your next one because you can't change your last one! It's anything but monotonous... You can birdie a hole one day & hit a quad bogey on it the next... That's golf! Just enjoy yourself & have fun 1st & foremost! 😀

Grip it & Rip it! 

• Like 5

Like in my other topic, some great advice and thank you!

New question...what's the deal with iron covers?  People either seem apathetic or are strongly against them.  As a lazy person, I'd rather not deal with club covers at all, but the clanking when I walk or ride drives me nuts.  Is there possibly a way to arrange the clubs to eliminate the noise?

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Pinemeadow 52° 56° 60° 64° wedges

PIng Anser putter

Iron covers are the golf equivalent of white tape holding the bridge of your glasses together. Golf NERD!!! Not to mention they are yet another thing to fuss with and slow down play. They give the impression that you are just a little too precious for your own good. Other than that, nothing wrong with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

29 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Iron covers are the golf equivalent of white tape holding the bridge of your glasses together. Golf NERD!!! Not to mention they are yet another thing to fuss with and slow down play. They give the impression that you are just a little too precious for your own good. Other than that, nothing wrong with them. 

Yeah, but why don’t you tell us how you really feel about them? 

• Haha 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Yeah, but why don’t you tell us how you really feel about them? 

I like iron covers. They have numbers on them so, while taking your club out of the bag, you also take the cover off.  By doing this all in one motion, you save time and it is no fuss at all… not slowing anyone down. As far as keeping the clubs looking pristine… what is wrong with that? Revenge of the NERD’s was a great movie.  

• Like 6

I have no need for iron covers.  I do use a putter cover (MGS, thank you very much), driver cover (also MGS) and FW covers.  No on the iron covers.  I think I bought some once.  PITA for me.  Dinged irons is a good excuse for me to buy new ones. 😄 

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

5 hours ago, JerryB said:

New question...what's the deal with iron covers?  People either seem apathetic or are strongly against them.  As a lazy person, I'd rather not deal with club covers at all, but the clanking when I walk or ride drives me nuts.  Is there possibly a way to arrange the clubs to eliminate the noise?

First off, welcome to the world of golf.  

This is a really good thread with lots of helpful answers, but asking about iron covers in a golf forum is like asking my wife if the pepperoni should be above or below the cheese on a pizza.  It’s gonna start a rumble…

• Haha 2
  • :taylormade-small: M3 driver
  • :ping-small: G425 3 wood
  • :cobra-small: F-max 5 wood
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :bridgestone-small:e12 soft golf balls
On 8/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, JerryB said:

A couple of suggestions:

1. Purchase a golf bag that has a 14 way divider,personally I think this helps.

2. I have a couple of golf towels, one between my long irons and middle irons, second one between middle irons and short irons.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

33 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

A couple of suggestions:

2. I have a couple of golf towels, one between my long irons and middle irons, second one between middle irons and short irons.

The towels choice is a much better option than iron covers. You can do a quick wipe of your heads as you insert or remove clubs and you won't look like a dork.  Win-win.

• Like 2

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

skip the iron covers but I definitely keep my driver, 3 wood and hybrids covered and the putter.  I just don't want them getting scratched and beat up looking. Especially when you consider what they all cost, I like them to stay looking nice.  Irons, I'd never cover personally, just don't get bothered by marks on them, do keep them clean for sure.  Welcome to the crazy world of golf.  

• Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybrids 3,5 

Apex 21 5-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

23 hours ago, GaDawg said:

A couple of suggestions:

I do have the 14 way divider, definitely helps. Is there a particular way to arrange the clubs that might make a difference?  I like the towel idea too.  Going to need to do a little more research, thanks!

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the driver, why do people sometimes put it away mid round? Is it about the score? Or frustration over bad shots? Something else?

I want to hit every club as often as possible in a round and try different things.  Use a hybrid out of a fairway bunker, try a flop shot from the fringe, etc.  Bad (or stupid) shots do not affect my enjoyment of the round.  I figure every thing I do is a bit of a learning experience.

That being said, most of my golf time is spent on the course with my son and friends as opposed to on the range.  I don't have much opportunity to do actual practice.  If I do make it to the range, it's a little more mindless than purposeful.

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

2 hours ago, JerryB said:

With regards to the driver, why do people sometimes put it away mid round? Is it about the score? Or frustration over bad shots? Something else?

We can all have 'one of those days' when you just don't hit certain clubs well, so you use safer options if you can.

2 hours ago, JerryB said:

I want to hit every club as often as possible in a round and try different things.  Use a hybrid out of a fairway bunker, try a flop shot from the fringe, etc.  Bad (or stupid) shots do not affect my enjoyment of the round.  I figure every thing I do is a bit of a learning experience.

That, I think, is good idea and attitude, especially when learning or playing practice/casual rounds when your score doesn't matter.  If/when you do play more 'serious' rounds then you will be able to use that experience to pick the best option for the situation.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JerryB said:

That being said, most of my golf time is spent on the course with my son and friends as opposed to on the range.  I don't have much opportunity to do actual practice.  If I do make it to the range, it's a little more mindless than purposeful.

So a consistent saying that is found in golf is that "lower handicappers hit easier shots more often and higher handicappers hit harder shots more often." Aka, a lot of them are hitting good tee shots into good positions (fairway or first cut), which gives them easy second shots etc. When their main tee club (most commonly the driver) isn't working, many will use a more consistent club and just adjust their round to being a little shorter rather than longer but constantly OB or in bad situations. 

I'm with you, for variety and figuring stuff out, I enjoy hitting a bunch of different shots so I can continue learning. But if I'm doing that, I'm acknowledging that I'm risking scoring higher in a round. A lot of better golfers I know don't want that risk because nailing an insanely hard shot feels great, but shooting 10 over their handicap will have them cursing the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

10 hours ago, JerryB said:

Simply put, golf is about scoring the lowest possible score.  You do that by not only learning the basic mechanics of ball striking, but by putting yourself in a position to score par as often as you can.  You don't do that by hitting shots that can put you in a position to score double bogey or worse.   Yeah, it's fun to hit an incredible shot thru the trees, over the water, and onto the green when all odds are against you, but if you're going to fail that shot 7 out of 10 times, it's simply a bad decision that costs you additional strokes and you end up taking a triple bogey rather than punching out safely and walking off the green with no more than a bogey.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

How does one go about figuring and tracking their handicap?  And beyond that, does every round count, like a casual round with friends? Or is it just in leagues or tournaments?

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

40 minutes ago, MNUte said:

When their main tee club (most commonly the driver) isn't working, many will use a more consistent club and just adjust their round to being a little shorter rather than longer but constantly OB or in bad situations. 

I don't have the consistency yet to really make the determination, but how quickly do you realize the driver (or whatever club) isn't working that day? Can't be just one drive, right?  Is it two or three bad ones in a row, half a round, what have you?  Or is it eventually just a "You know it when you see it" situation?

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

4 minutes ago, JerryB said:

How does one go about figuring and tracking their handicap?  And beyond that, does every round count, like a casual round with friends? Or is it just in leagues or tournaments?

If you join a club, most of them provide a service (for a fee) with GHIN to track your handicap.  If you choose to do it on your own, you can use Grint or any other handicap tracking service online.  When you play tournaments, I'm not sure if the self kept handicap services are sufficient or not.  Perhaps someone else can clarify that.

Every round counts when computing handicap (unless you're just out practicing and hitting extra balls or otherwise not scoring by the rules of golf), casual and tournament play.  You can post 9 hole scores.  Handicaps are based on the lowest 8 scores of the most recent 20.  

• Like 1