Newbie questions

Just now, JerryB said:

I don't have the consistency yet to really make the determination, but how quickly do you realize the driver (or whatever club) isn't working that day? Can't be just one drive, right?  Is it two or three bad ones in a row, half a round, what have you?  Or is it eventually just a "You know it when you see it" situation?

That's a personal question that changes by the player. For me, it's a string of questions based on how I'm hitting it in my warm up. 

1. Is my shot shape consistent? I tend to hit a bit of a fade, but my miss tends to be a slice. However, when my back flares up, I can occasionally pull/hook it. If I'm missing in every direction, I just will take my 5 iron off the tee and settle for a nice 200 yard, fairly straight shot. But if my driver is missing in the same direction, I'll move to the next question. 

2. Is today's shot shape conducive to the course? Some of my favorite courses are shorter but super tight. So if I'm playing one of them and I'm slicing 40 yards, I'll go with my iron rather than take the OB penalty. If it's a more open course, I'll take out the driver and take advantage of the extra 50+ yards of distance.

3. Once I'm hitting my driver in a round, is it feeling right? If I hit two or three tee shots and it's just not feeling right, that messes with my confidence on future tee shots. Or if it feels good initially, but my last few tee shots to finish the front nine tank. And confidence will affect my results. So I'd rather play a shorter shot the remainder of the round that I'm confident in. 

All just about knowing your game and knowing what does and doesn't work for you. 

• Like 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

I think Kirkland gloves are gonna be your bulk buy to save on price. I’ve heard sixes can run a little wonky. Going through gloves can be effected by grip-how much pressure and how much you play. I sweat a good bit through my hands so it takes a toll on the leather every 2-3 months

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Gonna keep this short as I'm a little late to the party.

1. Good gloves should last between 15-20 rounds. I prefer leather to synthetic, but a glove is a glove. Buy what you can in bulk if you find one you like. Check eBay.

2. Interest in lessons, then a fitting.

3. Follow the rules, but keep some things in mind. Like pace of play, just pick up after a certain score. Public courses are not going to go out and mark off every single piece of ground under repair. A foot wedge to get out from behind a tree is a no-no. Moving the ball out of a muddy, tire track filled rut that the course didn't put a white line around, that's fine. Also keep the optional USGA rules in mind like playing everything as red stakes and taking the 2 stroke drop in fairway instead of strike & distance for OB.

• Like 1

Take Dead Aim

As usual, thank you all for taking the time for helpful tips and other replies.

New question... I'm left handed but swing righty. As I sign up for websites or contests or such, it usually asks for your dexterity.  I indicate that I am righty... right?  Is there a situation in golf where swinging righty but throwing lefty would be an issue?

More important question; how do you know your club lofts? Is it something you just "know" when you purchase them or is the information out there somewhere? It's indicated on everything but the irons in some way, but my clubs were second hand so I have no idea what my PW or 9 are, for wedge gapping purposes.

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Pinemeadow 52° 56° 60° 64° wedges

PIng Anser putter

Sign up for how you swing.  All of the manufacturers have the specs for their clubs on the website and older year catalogues are usually available online.

https://www.cobragolf.com/media/wysiwyg/2013.pdf

• Like 1

• Driver- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons- Taylor-Made-Logo.jpg.a922638edae25f1c036539a36e9a0f6e.jpgTaylormade RSi2, 5-PW
  • Wedges- Acer.jpg.51238d11edef77900a56a58a1ce09fc4.jpgAcer XB, 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpgPing Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- GHzATeLo.jpg.69ffdb028e4ddbcd7846eb57a52b47ee.jpgSnell MTB-X
  • Bag- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a few adjustments to how I hit my driver which has resulted in some big improvements.  Where I used to be able to use the same tee for rounds, now it seems I'm snapping a tee on every strike.  Is this normal?

• Like 1

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

21 minutes ago, JerryB said:

I've made a few adjustments to how I hit my driver which has resulted in some big improvements.  Where I used to be able to use the same tee for rounds, now it seems I'm snapping a tee on every strike.  Is this normal?

I find it more ground condition related compared to swing related. If the ground is firm you will snap the tee more often. Softer turf will give way and not snap the tee as much. I can have several rounds and not break a tee and the next round, like today, I broke six. It hasn't really rained much this past week. The ground was not giving way to flip the tee out. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

38 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Could be due to a downward angle of attack with the driver.  But if you are hitting the ball well,  don't worry about it. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

if you are hitting the ball well

Whoa there... there's a difference between "improvements" and "well!" 🤣

• Like 2

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

21 hours ago, JerryB said:

All good evaluation of the concern here JerryB.  Don't worry about it.  Since the day I've started playing, I've broken probably 13-15 wooden tees a round, and never really considered it.  I will say that  the last two years I've went to the "3 yards more" plastic tee, and can use that for 10 plus rounds before it breaks. It doesn't really give me 3 yards more, but it does give me a very consistent tee height on each and every drive which is why I've continued to use it.  I originally started to use it because my daughter bought me them for my birthday, and I wanted to honestly say I tried to use them.  I noticed much more consistent trajectory, and contact  off the tee. Just a thought if breaking tees is going to distract you in any way.

• Like 1

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

Thanks again for the insights everyone.  I bought a bag of plastic tees that also give me a consistent height and haven't had a problem since.

New question, mostly in jest: Is there some kind of law that says all cart paths must be an adventure to navigate?  Every single course I've been to, the paths look like they've had bombs exploding on them.

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

• 3 weeks later...

Another new question, more serious this time, living near Chicago.  People have started making mention of shutting it down for the season.  What do courses do to shut down for the winter months?  Do they pick an end date and close up shop?  Do rules or conditions change, like with leaves everywhere and such?  Just wondering what to expect for the last month or so of the season.

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

36 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Another new question, more serious this time, living near Chicago.  People have started making mention of shutting it down for the season.  What do courses do to shut down for the winter months?  Do they pick an end date and close up shop?  Do rules or conditions change, like with leaves everywhere and such?  Just wondering what to expect for the last month or so of the season.

Depends on the course. Some shutdown all winter, some use temp tee markers or cut out a temp green. I play some curses that use two holes on each green and when you get there you love the pin to the other hole.

Courses that stay open at round here will blow leaves to one side of the hole. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Speaking from where I live in Cleveland we have a few courses that stay open all year round even with the snow. I would expect that you may find 1-2 courses that would do that where you are at. Their is a caveat, many force you to walk

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Depends on the course. Some shutdown all winter, some use temp tee markers or cut out a temp green. I play some curses that use two holes on each green and when you get there you love the pin to the other hole.

Courses that stay open at round here will blow leaves to one side of the hole. 

Yep. In salt lake, some courses stay open all winter and only say no play if there's snow on the ground. Which is fun because the cold and wet present different challenges than Utah summers. 

• Like 2

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

31 minutes ago, MNUte said:

Yep. In salt lake, some courses stay open all winter and only say no play if there's snow on the ground. Which is fun because the cold and wet present different challenges than Utah summers. 

I’ve played several times on Xmas day in DC area hes sue it was above 40 and not very windy. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1