Golfer Elbow Swing Advice

All,

I’m a right handed golfer and have really been suffering from golfers elbow. The inside of my right elbow is killing me after a round. 

Does anyone have any advice on what is causing this and any swing advice to help put less stress on my right elbow?

I appreciate any advice! Thank you in advance. 

• Like 1

Most likely it's just a repetitive stress injury, i.e., hitting the ball over & over again and it's very common among 40+ year old golfers. Try doing these stretching exercises below before your round. 

947184221_ScreenShot2021-08-09at7_42_55AM.png.1f5a27fde635ce08d92b538fd882f235.png

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I moved back to graphite shafts after elbow pain a few summers ago and I'll never go back to steel. An arm band may work as well in the interim. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

14 hours ago, treeleaf20 said:

All,

I’m a right handed golfer and have really been suffering from golfers elbow. The inside of my right elbow is killing me after a round. 

Does anyone have any advice on what is causing this and any swing advice to help put less stress on my right elbow?

I've been fighting golfer's elbow for nearly the entire season.  I did at one point rest it for 2 weeks, but that wasn't long enough of course and it's been lingering ever since. I'll give you my thoughts on playing with it and managing it.

1)  Only ice if you absolutely need to for pain management or to reduce inflammation.  That inflammation is the body pushing blood to the injured tendon, and that's basically step one in the healing process.  The more you ice the more you inhibit healing.  Check out the link below:

Time to Rethink Recovery: Hot & Cold Exposure - SimpliFaster

2)  To help aid recovery, consider a massage gun.  Plenty of YouTube videos on how to use it effectively for tendinitis.

3)  As has already been said, a shaft change can help.  I recently switched to a composite shaft (Aerotech Steelfiber's) and while I wouldn't have done it if not for the performance benefit, there is definitely less impact on my arm.

4)  Wear a compression sleeve while playing...this has significantly helped me keep playing even while still injured.

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM DHY 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Try varying your right hand grip to take pressure off your elbow.  It's worth a try on the range to see if your present grip contributes to the problem.  I had to move my right hand grip farther into my fingers to take pressure off the elbow.  (I also picked up some yardage with the change.)

Compression sleves, elbow braces etc. can help, but they don't fix the underlying problem.  Strengthen and stretch your muscles.  Google "Thera-Band".  They are exercise bars that you twist--they are especially designed to help with golf/tennis elbow.  

I suffer from it off and on, the worse was when  I was using extra stiff shafts, with a steep swing and divot.

Over the last few years my swing has moved to be more shallow taking very small divots has helped. I also moved away from a neutral swing and tend to generate most of the power through the left shoulder and arm. Another tip is to  use a sweat wrist band all the way up my arm to just below the elbow to relive some of the tension on the tendon (Nike is best). This season I bought a massage gun and I've been using this lately which seems to have helped.

• Like 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Thanks everyone. So far, I'm going to switch to the Golf Pride CP2 grips to hopefully help out some. It's weird, I just recently switched to the Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff shafts over the past year or so. I never got this elbow issue playing with the stock shafts on my other other irons.

I'm also starring at a Theraband sitting next to me as I type those so I appreciate that suggestion and hopefully that helps. Thanks for all the adivce.

3 hours ago, alfriday101 said:

Try varying your right hand grip to take pressure off your elbow.  It's worth a try on the range to see if your present grip contributes to the problem.  I had to move my right hand grip farther into my fingers to take pressure off the elbow.  (I also picked up some yardage with the change.)

Compression sleves, elbow braces etc. can help, but they don't fix the underlying problem.  Strengthen and stretch your muscles.  Google "Thera-Band".  They are exercise bars that you twist--they are especially designed to help with golf/tennis elbow.  

Along those lines, try anything to decrease your grip pressure at impact. Wear a glove on the right hand, grip that is thicker lower down or just being conscious of how hard you are holding the club with the right hand.

• Like 1

The temporary solutions mentioned are fine, but seek help with your technique,  I have had tennis elbow at times but because my technique is 

usually sound it does not last.  If you hit down too steeply you are digging into the turf and creating shock, which will wear on your ligaments and joints, or if you 

thin the ball too often you will also cause a shock to the joints.  

• Like 1

Three, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Srixon drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

1. Graphite Shafts 2. Winn or soft grips 3.Hempvana Cream is amazing.

I had the same issue many years ago and switched to graphite shafts and Winn grips. I could only play 9 holes until I made the change and then I could play 18. I use the Hempvana these days for elbow pains (from age).

• Like 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2019 Bettinardi QB6 and 2021 Ping Fetch Putter (depends on the greens)

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Had that problem a number of years ago.  Made a few changes.  Started wearing Sabona magnetic bracelets, went to GolfPride midsize grips and adjusted my grip on the clubs.   The grip adjustment most likely helped the most, but a still wearing the bracelets.  Have not had any issues since I did this.  I was griping the clubs improperly causing the index finger to over grip the club thereby putting stress on the nerve that runs to the elbow.   Was griping the club in the palm of my hand rather than my fingers.  Might check with a pro and see if your grip is the issue.   I tried a number of gimmicks that you wear on the forearm and they DID NOT HELP.   

• Like 1

In addition to all the good advice above, hitting lots of balls off range mats can contribute to this. Additionally, you want pressure on the injured area all the time - not just when playing golf. I purchased an AirCast Pneumatic Armband and used it 24x7 with great success. Good luck.

Edited by MisterT
  • Like 1
  • Taylormade SIM2 8° Fujikura Ventus Blue with VeloCore 6-R
  • TaylorMade M5 15° Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
  • Callaway Big Bertha 19° KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Sub70 Mi-Mallet Sycamore 002 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1x
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

1 minute ago, ChuckZ said:

Had that problem a number of years ago.  Made a few changes.  Started wearing Sabona magnetic bracelets, went to GolfPride midsize grips and adjusted my grip on the clubs.   The grip adjustment most likely helped the most, but a still wearing the bracelets.  Have not had any issues since I did this.  I was griping the clubs improperly causing the index finger to over grip the club thereby putting stress on the nerve that runs to the elbow.   Was griping the club in the palm of my hand rather than my fingers.  Might check with a pro and see if your grip is the issue.   I tried a number of gimmicks that you wear on the forearm and they DID NOT HELP.   

Might add, I will be 75 in a few weeks, play three days a week, play steels shafts with my irons and have no issues with golf/tennis elbow anymore.  We hit off matts on our driving range Monday - Thursday due to the number of people using the range, which can have an impact on your elbows at times if you are pounding balls. 

• Like 1

I had golfer's elbow a couple of times.  An arm band with a small pad in it that is placed directly on the sore spot will help.  Icing it will also help.  Or, my final solution:  cortisone shots.  Went away quickly.

• Like 1

WIMB:

• Driver: PXG 0811 XF 10.5 set to 9 w/Tensei 50 R flex
  • PXG 0317 X 3H 19 w/Mitsubishi Chemical 70 R flex
  • Cleveland Launcher 4-PW XL Halo R flex irons
  • Cobra Speed Zone GW R flex
  • Cleveland 54 & 58 CBX R flex 
  • Cobra Supernova putter
  • Maxfli Tour CG

21 hours ago, treeleaf20 said:

All,

I have the exact same issue.  1) I use and elbow brace when I play.  2) I use an electronic massager know as "Doctor Ho" it works really well.  It is a 20 Minute cycle.  3) Work on Strengthening your right elbow.  There are plenty of exercises for it.  The Stretching exercise do work.  4) Finally make sure to keep your right elbow closer to your body on the downswing.  This has helped me a lot.  It is a process and It will take some time to heal but, it will heal.  

• Like 1

I got this injury a number of years ago doing something completely unrelated to golf. I suggest you try doing physical therapy, as it is usually a repetitive stress injury, and can get much worse over time, resulting in reduced range of motion in your elbow. There were a couple of exercises I had to do a few times a day using a light barbell, and I think something with pressing your hand and arm into a wall, but really can't remember the specifics.

The bands help some with immediate pain, but don't address the underlying injury, and don't provide enough support to really keep it from getting worse.

I'm by no means a good golfer, but if I was to guess I'd think you are straightening your right elbow too soon in your downswing and/or flipping too much at impact, as both those things put additional stress on the inside of your right elbow. Jim G's suggestions above regarding exercising and the downswing make sense to me.

• Like 1

Greatest Fix for Golfer elbow, Tennis, Skier or other elbow issues.

Go to KT Tape Website and Buy Recovery+ Wave. 

Wear it 24/7

20 Olympic Athletes are using, and the product will solve the problem in Days.

Back Or Knee issues. Go to DONJOY website and look up Actipatch!! Buy The Knee Or Back Support.

Incredible new product. Read the Reviews.

Edited by Rodzilla
added content
  • Like 2

I had this at the end of last season and ultimately purchased a theraband flexbar and performed eccentric strengthening exercises and it only gets sore with bicep and tricep strengthening.  Less than 20 bucks and helped me within a few weeks.  No pain with the golf swing

• Like 1

Yes, this is a familiar situation. But the first thing I do is to use an elbow brace. Then after playing I use an electronic massage. And at the end I apply a good cream to the problem area. It is also called topical relief cream https://therapistpreferred.com/running/ . And most importantly you do stretching exercises on the joint, that will help you a lot. And you have to remember this kind of thing. Pain is the body's way of letting you know it's running out. If there is a sign from the body. You should go to the doctor. And quit golfing for a while. So you can recover. I hope some of this helps you.

Edited by Antonio Gantavre

Life is a game, but golf is serious.