(Answered) Ask Me Anything (AMA) - Harry Nodwell from MyGolfSpy and NoPuttsGiven

GolfSpy_TCG

AMA

i needed to purchase new golf socks because present left side socks had holes approximately under my foot pivot.  Are there socks specifically for golfers that address this and are some better than others?  Thank you.                                         

Hello Harry,

When you practice, is there a particular set of things you work on? How do you go about your practice? is there a particular sequence that is standard or do you change it up to prevent things from getting boring?

Do you do the towel drill under the arm? If so, what do you get out of it?

Cheers,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: M5 w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60g

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   Odyssey 3-Ball Hot Metal

JerBooth

Swing easy.

What did it take to get to a +4?! 

Do you really play the srixon z star?! I thought you were a left dash! 

• Like 1

Brandon Johnson, MBA
Capt (Sep.) US Air Force 

e: brandon.johnson.mn@gmail.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M5 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - odyssey #9

Harry,

Thank you for doing this.  Good luck this week   

For a mid-handicappers looking to improve:

- Should they play more lofted FW and hybrids instead of 3 and 4 irons?

- Should they practice with blades or player improvement irons for practice to bender contact, but play matches / games with player improvement / game improvement irons?

- What is the appropriate distance we should dial in our wedges to: 52 deg - 120 yards, 56 deg - 100 yards and 60 deg - 80 yards or is that too short?

- Should they play more forgiving larger sweet spot putters?

Thanks in advance for your candid comments.

• Like 2

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  917 F2 16.5 3W Diamana 60  Reg

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff 

:titelist-small:  4 iron 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - DG S300 Stiff

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png 

:Arccos: Official MGS Tester 2021

Which side of the course are you trying to take out of play? What adjustments (setup/swing/equipment) did you make to specifically avoid that miss?

Tourney Pro/Am obligations - nice way to ramp up for the real competition (or) time that could otherwise be spent grinding on your game?

CBD during competition?

How many calories/fluid oz(s) consumed during a round?

• Like 2

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I want to pull my Ventus Hybrid shafts from my current PXG hybrid, and use them in Ping G425 hybrids.  Will they be the same playing length, or is one adapter/head combo longer than the other?

• Like 1

If you could only have one club from each OEM, ie, 14 clubs from different OEMs, what would your bag set up be?

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

How do you get your clubs fit? Do you go to a BBS or a standalone fitter. Or do you do it yourself? And are you happy with the results?

• Like 2
-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         default_callaway-small.jpg.8d98a06e9125f12a694e88ffcbab3e58.jpg  Apex 19 5-AW NIPPON NS950 S
3 & 4 Irons   Maltby TS-1 Forged NIPPON NS950 S 
WEDGES      PING   Glide 2.0 Stealth 54° & 58° SS 
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg.8a4a9b2a2fac6fe087f1c8c5cb704dbe.jpg  M6 FUJIKURA TSG PRO XLR8 61 S
3 WOOD      default_taylormade-small.jpg.8a4a9b2a2fac6fe087f1c8c5cb704dbe.jpg  M6 OBAN ISAWA RED 75 04
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3,4&5  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      Evnroll-01_1.jpg.c44279091062836814d5f5119fc252ea.jpg ER2v ML 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S62 and TecTecTec Range Finder.
And a SkyTrak launch monitor for the three times a week or so I hit the mat. 

What are your thoughts on the 

MG C-4 golf ball?  Can you test it?

Thank you 

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 

Fwy Woods - Taylormade Sim2 

Hybrids - Callaway Steelhead XR

Irons - Callaway Apex Forged

Wedges - Vokey SM7

Putter - Cameron 5.5

Ball - MG C4 and Taylormade TP5

Are there any independent tests from a "IronByron" type machine for driver shafts (launch, peak heights at 110-115 clubhead speeds)??  Thanks TJ

• Like 1

A Driver Issue: I am left handed.  Use a Callaway XR with mid size grips because I used to hook it. My short game and putting is exceptional. My issue is I cant hit a driver. My visual when over the ball is that the face is straight and toward the target. In reality the club is closed and my drives get no lift on impact (but I hit it straight). When I force the club (when at rest behind the ball) to have a flush or open face I have straight pushes and the club feels like I have no control over it. I'm at a loss in what practice measures I need to do so I don't "Charles Barkley" it Which I tend to do. I cut my club 1.25 inches thinking it was the length. Please advise what to do to fix it?

• Like 1

Aaron R

Curious to know if you guys can run a simulation comparing how a cold driver club face reacts to a outside temperature golf ball, to a hot sun beat driver face with the same temp ball. 
Is it better to put the driver cover back on after each shot or even cooling the face down with ice and wiping it dry. 
It’s something I’ve always been curious to see what results would come about from it. 

• Like 2

When should a rapidly improving player think about getting fit for the first time?

My handicap has fallen from a 43 at the end of last season to a 29 currently. I’ve recently broken 100 twice (90 and 95, respectively) and expect it to keep falling as I reduce errors and penalties. 

I started playing last June with a Strata starter set and I’m contemplating get fit for new irons. The Strata irons have been solid companions, but aren’t well constructed are very lightweight.

My local pro who I’m taking lessons from said that buying off the rack and having them retrofitted for loft/lie/gapping, but my concern is having a less than ideal shaft. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Driver: 2016 M1 230

3W: Sim2 Ti

3H: Ping G 19deg

4-PW: Callaway Strata

52, 56, 60: Kirkland

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

What percent of men, women, with tour cards or on the junior tour, use forged blades versus cavity back cast metal irons?  Just a rough guess? 

• Like 1

Driver  Callaway Epic on Recoil F2 (senior) flex

Three wood is TM Burner Superfast 3.0 on M (mature) flex

3H Old Adams A3OS red boxster on stock Graffaloy Platinum reg shaft

3 MP 18 MMC and 4 GFF hybrid Mizuno irons

5 Mizu hybrid Fli-hi

6 - W Ping I 500 irons on Recoil F3 reg flex shafts

Wedges:  Mizuno blue 52 09, 60 06, and old original Hogan Sure-out 56 14 sand

Chipper (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin Up n In bronze 

Putter Musty wood mallet, sometimes switch with my Scotty Cameron Futura X counter weight face balanced

I bought new irons, cobra forged tech. The only changes were from graphite to steel shafts and from standard to midsize grips. I am now hitting everything in the toe area. In the past my misfits were in the toe side. Would any of these changes be causing this?

Sorry, I’m now hitting everything in the heal area. 

• Like 1

Hello Sir and thanks for doing this, it's not like any of you guys at MGS need any more to do.  Was thinking the other day...  What if major ball manufacturers had a contest to produce a ball, no holds barred for the rules, to come up with the longest ball in history?  Obviously it would be illegal, but to do it just for shits and giggles, and see how far the envelope could be pushed.  What distance could be achieved?  Would it be like hitting a ball bearing?  12 layers?  Some really bizarre dimple pattern?  Your thoughts.  Thank you, and keep up the great work.

Edited by Mikedb26

What is your practice regimen like?  

How many hours do you put into each part of your game per day/week, etc.?

• Like 4