TESTERS WANTED! ×

Alignment Marks on Balls

Just an informal survey & comments:  

Do you use ball alignment marks (either manufactured or self inflicted) when putting?  

I prefer a clean ball and while I sometimes play a triple track Cally - I place my ball on the opposite side.  Maybe old school, but I find alignment marks distracting (tried to use it for a period of time, but didn't find my putting improved measurably using alignment... I can close pull my putter across the line as easily with or without the lines ;)). 

Just curious how many find the lines on balls advantageous to your success on the greens.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I always line up the side stamp when I'm putting, but don't line up off the tee. When I'm putting, it's mostly as a final visual check as I'm setting up. My routine is to read the line and pick my aim point then line up the side stamp to that aim point. Then I set up next to the ball for three practice strokes and then address the ball. Because I'm (extremely) right-eye dominant, I've learned not to trust my reads when I'm standing over the putt so if I see something other than where my side stamp is pointing, I either trust the side stamp or I back off and take another look.

I have tried using alignment markings like drawing a full circle around the ball and even splurged for the Align XL from golfballs.com, but I find those extremely distracting and they don't help my read based on my routine. Bonus: the more prominent the alignment marking, the more perfect it has to be. Even the slightest bit of wobble will make you think you hit a bad putt when it could really be that some paint was applied incorrectly by 1 degree. Not good for my confidence when I see the wobble...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I line up my ball when putting on my intended start line. I also line up off the tee, but not straight on my line - I place the ball with something like a logo or my ball mark on the inside rear so I can visualize hitting the ball from the inside to help not lunge at the ball or come OTT.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I don’t use alignment aid. The only marks I put on my ball is to identify them while in play especially if I dont have the personalized ones with me

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't use alignment marks or line the ball up in any particular way.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I line up my ball when putting on my intended start line. I also line up off the tee, but not straight on my line - I place the ball with something like a logo or my ball mark on the inside rear so I can visualize hitting the ball from the inside to help not lunge at the ball or come OTT.

Great comment russ.. I was just working on moving my focus to the front of the ball (from my normal back edge) to help a tendency to hit the big ball first.  I'm going to try the logo focus tip.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t use alignment aid. The only marks I put on my ball is to identify them while in play especially if I dont have the personalized ones with me

Agreed RB, a dot or two depending on how I feel that day.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

Bonus: the more prominent the alignment marking, the more perfect it has to be.

That is an interesting unintended side effect of marking.  Great comment GG

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I putt with an alignment mark.  The balls I use don't come with one so I add one with a black sharpie marker and marking tool.  After aligning the mark in line to my intended putting line I focus on putting through the line, like hammering a nail into a board (common swing thought).  The reason for this swing thought is to putt through the ball and not just hit the ball.  This promotes me to release the putter and make a smooth stroke.  I have another method to gauge speed that seems to work for me.

I also put a dot by the number in gold sharpie marker to the left of the alignment line (first dimple lower right of the number). 

Ball alignment mark.jpeg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I used to putt with a line and then switched to no mark.  Thought was that I would putt better by seeing the curve of the putt and not putting at an intermediate target or point left/right if the hole.   Probably okay for lag putting,  but considering going back to a line on putts that are 15’ and in to see if that helps my midrange putting. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, Tiftaaft said:

Do you use ball alignment marks (either manufactured or self inflicted) when putting?  

I prefer a clean ball and while I sometimes play a triple track Cally - I place my ball on the opposite side.  Maybe old school, but I find alignment marks distracting (tried to use it for a period of time, but didn't find my putting improved measurably using alignment... I can close pull my putter across the line as easily with or without the lines ;)). 

Just curious how many find the lines on balls advantageous to your success on the greens.

Finally someone else who does this. On the tee and green I find a blank side and put that facing up. I find all marks distracting too.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I use a line for putting and on the tee box. ( always a blue line )

On putting I read the line and pick my aim point then line up the line to that aim point. Then I set up next to the ball for three practice strokes and then address the ball.

On the tee box I line up the line on the ball with the spot I want to hit in the fairway. I want a small target to aim for. My course has many tee boxes that are angled to draw you into hitting away from the fairway. I find it easier to focus on my ball alignment. Square myself to the ball, practice swing once, address the ball and swing.

It's what works for me! 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My course has many tee boxes that are angled to draw you into hitting away from the fairway.

The grounds crew are pretty devious at my course as well!!  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Finally someone else who does this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  🙂

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

No marks, no lines, and oftentimes I putt the ball after not having touched it all. Makes no difference to me how it’s oriented.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I do not use a line on my ball.  I mark my ball with 6 dots on different areas of the ball (basically all sides).  I do use the dots as focus points when putting (one of the dots at the top) as it helps me maintain a steady head thru the stroke.  I do not use it as an alignment tool.   I also use it on the teeing box by placing one of the dots on the inside rear quadrant where I can see it.  Again, I focus on that dot during my swing.  With a dot on all sides of the ball, one dot is almost always visible when the ball is in play.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 2 weeks later...

For longer putts (12+ feet) I don’t use an alignment mark of any kind, but I use the manufacturer marking on putts inside of that. I’ve gone back and forth with using the alignment marking on the tee, not sure I can find a discernible difference. 

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

I had tried using the preprinted mark years ago, abandoned it after lousy results and then read an article on golf digest that most people actually aim for more break than what they thing they are.

So I went back to using the mark on the ball, played for a little more break and finally got it.....I never looked back.

I NEVER uses sharpie, the line is never as clean as the factory line.

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

No. Tried Triple-Track but it really screws me up. I prefer to find my line then a nice smooth stroke.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 8/12/2021 at 10:59 AM, caeye0710 said:

First time MGS poster here after spending years at another forum site, also a "Certified Club Junkie"

I was just going some research on the MG3 being released early next month. IMO, what a sharp looking wedge! I've admittedly been a Vokey guy my entire life, so doubt I'll be making a move considering my SM8's are waiting for their first round (just swapped new ones in after a year with my first set of SM8). 

While looking at the MSRP for the new MG3 ($179 for stock options), it got me thinking: Are OEM's going completely off the rails with prices on new equipment?

I don't remember which model it was, but I remember that I could walk in to a shop and get three new wedges for $327 plus tax ($109 MSRP). It's gotten to the point where buying three new TM wedges would be $578 after tax here in NC (NEARLY $600!).

Let me add to that by saying: I understand. Over time, costs related to materials and shipping increase. One can argue that even production costs increase, although as a Process Improvement Consultant in the Manufacturing industry for close to a decade, I don't know if that rings true as much as we think it does due to the automation process nowadays (although I'll admit there has to be some merit to it). Doesn't mean I'm an expert in the Behind-The-Scenes production of golf equipment, but a lot of my clients have remained stagnant in their production process over the years due to robotics and automation processes, so I would think it would ring somewhat true to golf equipment OEMs.

Back to the topic: Are we getting to a point where it's going to eventually be too expensive to get the latest and greatest equipment? In 2004, Drivers hit a $500 MSRP for the first time (TM R7, Titleist 905 Series, etc.). The R7 was the first driver to be listed at $500 (I think) and I recall people throwing a fit. Titleist quickly followed suit on the 905 series, although I specifically remember our Titleist rep at my club back then mentioned that the initial MSRP was going to be $409 until TM came to market and announced the R7 at a higher price point.

Nowadays, $550+ is the norm. Over 17 years that difference doesn't add up to much, but what happens in another 15 years?

Stock drivers listed at $800?

Stock FW's at $500?

Iron sets off the rack at $2,000?

Wedges at $200 a piece?

Putters (too many variables here honestly, but let's say $400 average)

That means if you want to revamp an entire bag, you'll be dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,300 if you stick to stock options and don't get fitted for upgraded shafts and specs.

Maybe I'm just completely off base here and my opinion is wrong, but I'd be curious to here what some of you folks think. 

Feel free to roast me if I sound like an idiot 😆

On 8/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, Tiftaaft said:

I like to see white only.

I am now a convert to lines.  I used to like nothing but white and was a very good putter.  Average putts per round in the high 20's and low 30's.  I am now 74 and still have very good vision but the lines have made me a better putter.  I now average in the mid to high 20's.  It takes about a month to get used to the lines but it really gives you a benefit. 

Can not use multi colored lines--the new maxfli uses just black lines and it really a very good ball for marking purpose.  I have the confidence that the line is correct and I have become a much more aggressive putter.  I play an avx 90% of the time so I had to come up with a way to mark them and have designed a plastic piece with cut outs that let me put three thin black lines on the ball or I just line up the titlies avx marking and put two black lines on the ball.  It works wonders for me.

Titleist TS 1 Driver Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 16.5 degree 3 wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 18 degree 5 Wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titliest TS2--21 degree Hybrid stiff light weight graphite shafts

Titliest T200 regular multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat 5 thru gap wedge

Titliest Volkey wedges 54 and 58 stiff multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Trillium Te3 32" putter

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned the guy that lines up his 15 foot putt using the line on the ball and then doesn't like it and realigns it. Then he knocks it 3 feet by and goes through the lining up procedure all over again.

I used to use a line, but just got to the point I wanted to speed up my routine a bit. I became self conscious of the time it took.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, Tiftaaft said:

I do mark my balls with a Single solid black line. It serves two purposes for one. For one, I get to see where I'm striking the ball on my clubs and I also use it on the greens to aid in my alignment for putting. 

I have a tendency to use lines that the mfgr has or the triple. I believe it has helped me in that I concentrate on hitting the ball to see the end over end result. That concentration is what is helping.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I tried to use a two line stencil that I could put over the arrow on the ball, it confused me more and made feel like I "had to" line up the ball so perfectly to make my line.  too much stress focused on the lines rather than the putt itself.  I was averaging 32-33 putts this way...I've always putted with the the logo pointing to the line and when I went back to that, it freed me up in the 10-15' range, I felt I relied more on my read and my feel to square the blade and make a stroke to the line I was seeing/feeling.  I'm averaging 28-31 this way.  

Perhaps some dedicated practice on this method with the lines might eliminate the anxiety of being lined up 'correctly' or a different type of line pattern might help, but I also noticed that I was slow AF on the greens lining it up.  I hate to play tournaments with guys that change their ball like 20 different times on a 5' putt because their lines aren't right...40 second clock ticking...

Driver:  Taylormade SIM2 10.5 OG Motore F3 70x with TP 1.5*  tip - 1 notch to lower

3W: Srixon ZX 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Black HandCrafted 6.0 

5W: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 18* TC serial, HZRDUS Yellow  70g

4i: Srixon ZU85 23*, Recoil F4 95S

5i: Srixon ZU85 26*, Recoil F4 95X

6-PW:  Callaway Apex MB 2021, Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Vokey SM8 Blk 50-08F, SM8 56-08M (55*), Vokey SM8 WedgeWorks 60 T (61*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5, Pistolini Grip

Ball: 2019 Taylormade TP5X (sometimes Pro-V1x left dash)

Bag:  Titleist Players 4 Stadry

Being a "feel" putter, trying to use an alignment mark only serves to make me try and be extra exacting, which causes some tension, which leads to missing the damn putt anyway.   Although, if you prefer to look at the ball instead of the hole when making a putt, it would seem to make some sense to use a mark to ensure you start it on the desired line.     

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

I have been on both sides of this.  It does take a little practice to make your routine fast enough so it isn't an issue and depends on how fast and giving your group is.  If there are a lot of generous gimmies then it seems to slow things down, cause everyone is playing pretty fast (<3.5 hours).  The other thing is if you want to use the line, allow yourself a little deviation on the line.  I used to adjust and adjust and that got slow and tedious.  But now I have just given myself a little more tolerance on the alignment.  I do think that aiming is very important because if you aren't lined up correctly then you are already going to miss or make subconscious compensations to correct.

But really it is the following:  Are you putting well however you do it now?  Make lots of 4-6 footers?  slide it just by the hole when you miss from 20 feet?  Putting less than 30 putts a round?  Don't mess with anything.   Work on other parts of the game.

But if you are struggling, especially with direction, especially with inside 6 feet, give it a chance.  Most pros use them, take that for what it is worth.  

Cheers

Tigger

I use alignment lines on my golf balls.  I started off playing golf using the Callaway Triple Track balls but switched to Srixon Z Star balls.  I add my own alignment line to the Srixon balls and I feel the line helps my putting.  

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21 Graphite RCH 55
Woods: Callaway Epic Flash - 3W, 5W, 7W, 9W Graphite Evenflow Project X 5.5R
Irons: Callaway Apex 19 - 5-9, PW, AW, SW Graphite Project X Catalyst 60
Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red Marxman
Ball: Srixon Z Star
GPS: Shot Scope V3 GPS Watch
Rapsodo MLM

I guess I am in the minority on this, yes i use a line on the ball, you can't convince me that the average person has a better view of the line looking down, sideways, and with one eye at a different angle than having both eyes level and behind the ball looking at the hole.   Once you have it lined up you just need to worry about the speed of the putt, of course you need to hit it square, but that is true no matter how you line it up.  I could be wrong, but most pro's I see putting on TV, line their putt up with a line on their ball from behind, certainly not all but a majority.  In my opinion putting is hard enough, taking the 2nd guessing out of lining up your putt while standing over your ball just seems to make a difficult process easier.