Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Alignment Marks on Balls

Multiple studies over the years. Consensus indicates benefit/value on short putts. Otherwise, it’s not ‘rocket science’ — Stop agonizing (you’re not a pro); know the basic ‘make’ statistics at various distances (say, 4’-8’-12’) for your handicap. Stop waisting time & aggravating your fellow players. Watch the path of other putts. See the line OR pick the spot. Make your stroke. Accept the results. 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 16.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:     :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:        :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

I spend the time to add the lines to my balls and don't use them - yes, it's stupid. When I'm playing by myself I have no issue with taking the time to align the putt and I putt better. When I'm playing with others I feel like I'm taking too much time. I just need to practice doing this so I can do it quickly enough that I don't feel hurried.

As for the tee box I do the Nickalas, pick a spot in front of the ball and line up to that. I DO set my ball on the tee so that the Clemson Tiger paw is on the back inside. Like someone said before, keeps me inside out!

Golf Ball with Tiger Paw.jpg

Taylormade SIM2 Driver and 3 wood, PING 410 Hybrids (3, 4 &5) Taylormade 790 irons (7-PW), Vokey SM8 48, 52, 56, and 60 wedges and Nice to Pipe Putter

I use this ball marker (below), which allows me to place behind the ball and then rotate the middle line based on expected break. then, I line the ball center line up on the marker center line and this gets me putting on my intended putting line.

IMG_1472.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 8.35.47 PM.png

Strange is just a different point of view

Yes I use them. I figure that it is an extension of the line I'm putting through. I pick a spot in front of my ball and stroke it using the line or label or marker printed on the ball. 

Flash driver, apex irons, srixon woods, mack daddy 4 60°, taylormade 56°, SC roundback putter in a Ping bag.

I'm and old guy with a knee replacement, so getting down low enough to accurately line up the line is more of a chore than I'm willing to put up with. Even when I try, I find it hard to be confident I've got it on line. Off the tee, I do like to put the number on the back of the ball as something to target at impact.

Edited by dterrie

Driver: :tour-edge: c721 9.5 / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Irons: :taylormade-small:P7MB 3-PW, Project X IO 5.5, 1.5 flat
Wedges: Hogan Equalizer II, 52 standard V sole, 58 Texas Grind
Hybrid: :callaway-small: FT 20 degrees
Fairway: :tour-edge: c721 5-wood / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Putter: EVNROLL ER2 Black

1 hour ago, dterrie said:

Off the tee, I do like to put the number on the back of the ball as something to target at impact.

I've had both knees replaced...I understand.  But, here's a thought on your tee shot target.  Try placing the number a bit more to the inside rear quadrant as your target, encouraging a more in-out path.  It has helped me doing that.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I mark a T on the ball over the OEM alignment aid. 

IMG_4331.jpeg.fc6768d5072edd4db52bb08fde6639fb.jpeg

This a Nike putter I tested for MGS several years ago (my wife has adopted it).  I align the stem of the T to my intended line and align the putter face to the top of the T.  Now I only have to focus on speed.

I also use the T to align tee shots.  Our course workers like to point the tee boxes toward parts of the golf course I don't want to visit.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Definitely prefer the clean look myself.  No alignment marks, and I try to hide the brand name, etc.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

• 2 weeks later...

After experimenting with and without using alignment marks (typically the manufacturer mark) both during play and practicing I’ve found that I putt significantly better using the alignment mark. I try not to make sure I’m lining up while others are putting so that I can go quickly when it’s my turn and keep the round moving, but over the course of a full round its been equating to 5 or 6 strokes when I don’t use a line.  

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

• 1 month later...

I'm one of those who go crazy on alignment aids, my eyesight is not the greatest and don't wear my glasses on the course. NOW- I'm not one of those that takes 5 minutes to get the lines right either on a 25ft. either though... haha- gotta LOATHE those and then leave it 5ft. short. I line up the ball and use the line on my putter- pretty quick at it and don't hold up the pace.

Here's what mine look like: I like the 360* line- if it smudges due to an iron shot or something, keep rotating. Iron shots with the alignment pointed elsewhere doesn't bother me, the swing will get me- regardless.... haha

image.png.33c509e8c6df93c2aaae715afc1e5f58.png

David

Edited by Lefty19

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

Yeah, not using an alignment aid is a no go for me. My alignment would be awful if I didn't. I also try to do as much as I can while others are putting. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

On 9/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Bluesman57 said:

Definitely prefer the clean look myself.  No alignment marks, and I try to hide the brand name, etc.

Same here, I never bother with the alignment marks on the ball. It’s not unheard of for me to very slightly alter my path/line standing over the ball just before I putt, usually allowing for more break. I’ve always mentally relied on a target line well ahead of the ball. But whatever works for any of us is the best choice.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)