When did you switch to premium balls? At what point did performance matter more than cost?

TBS

On 8/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, Berg Ryman said:

For me, the answer is when I knew I was going to be a "player" in high school

Same here.  It was sophomore year.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, Berg Ryman said:

so like 2003-04

🤦‍♂️ 

That would have been 1987 for me.  So premium balls for me were the Titleist Professional and the Maxfli HT.  Balata.  Lots of balls cut and knocked out of round.

I've been playing solid core urethane balls since the Strata Tour Ace and haven't looked back.  It's so nice to be able to play the same ball for an entire round.  Right now it's the TP5x Pix - hat tip to @chisag for pointing out the deal on the Practice balls.

I've gotten both of my daughters to stop using low compression ionomer balls and start playing urethane.  Neither of them are Nelly Korda long, but they both enjoy hitting pitch shots that don't roll off the green anymore.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Up until 15 years ago I played whatever mid price ball was on sale. Back then probably in the $25.00 a box range. Then my current manager at work left the company to be the engineering manager at a well know golf ball manufacturer. Three weeks later he was the Plant Manager. I received a care package in the mail from him one day and of course they were the premium tour balls. After playing with them I was hooked. I never realized how much a good ball could change your game and lower your score. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I've been playing solid core urethane balls since the Strata Tour Ace 

No joke, those were the first solid core urethane balls I ever bought, but they were so expensive to me that I was scared to play them in anything but matches. Hence the other options taking slight precedence

• Like 1

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Project X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe Raw 48* (bent from 50*), 53* (bent from 54*), and 58*, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

No joke, those were the first solid core urethane balls I ever bought, but they were so expensive to me that I was scared to play them in anything but matches. Hence the other options taking slight precedence

I know, right?  It was so crazy to spend so much on a golf ball, but the first time I played the same ball for 18 holes, I realized that it was worth the expense.  I was used to getting into a second sleeve of balls in tournament rounds without losing any of them.  In friendly rounds, those of us of modest means used to play old balls and putt a new one.  

The pro at the club where I worked used to play a ball for three holes or until he made a birdie (superstition of his), then he'd throw them into his bag.  Not the ball pocket - he'd throw then in with the clubs.  We may or may not have liberated some of those balls.

• Haha 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 8/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, TBS said:

Over the past 2 years, I have been playing a lot more golf and taking it much more seriously. I've gotten fit for a few new clubs, taken some lessons, and increased the quality of my range/practice time.

I used to play whatever ball was cheapest or on sale at the time. Then I switched to the more value DTC brands. I never wanted to spend a ton on balls because I ended up losing 2-3 each round. My home course is pretty unforgiving if wipe a drive. I've gotten my handicap down from a 14 to a 9 and I'm losing 1 ball max a round, so I'm starting to think of making the investment in some premium balls, Pro Vs or TP5. New not found balls mint 5a grade. I have liked playing Snell MTBx currently.

So I wanted to ask the forum, at what point did you decide that a premium ball is absolutely worth the extra cost?

I did it this year. I admit I am a Ball snob. I donate the other balls I find to the first tee club. I changed when I started to see the integral details between the higher end balls and the lower. Sticking greens vs having the ball roll off. A poor driver swing results in what should be a high spinner resulting in a just off the fairway shot a few yards shorter. Plus I’ve gotten better where I lose very few balls on average which helps with the higher costs of premium balls

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

MGS 2019 ball test.  It cost me.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Driver, G400 SFT 3 Wood, G400 7 Wood, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby TSW 54, Maltby MS Grind 58, SeeMore Tri Mallet.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

• 2 weeks later...

I played mid-priced balls up until a couple of years ago when I tried and liked Snell balls.  This spring, for the first time, I went with the Pro V1 because of their buy 4 dozen for the price of 3 program only because I had some left-over pro shop credit.  After the credit, the 4 dozen only cost me about $50.  I like playing the Pro V1 but when I run out, I will be ordering Snell again and save about $20 per dozen.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM8 52F & 56S wedges | Bettinardi BB45 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Titleist Pro V1 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I switched to TaylorMade urethane balls when I started coaching and I’ve been able to have access to them since. After the 2019 ball test, I switched to Pro V1X and got stocked-up the last two years when they offered the 4-for-3 deal. I’ve rarely ever bought the top balls for full price since I have access, or stock-up. Ten dollars more for a urethane ball is less than a $1 each, so I see it as a worthwhile expense to get the extra quality. I’m thinking of going back to TP5X since Tony had them in the “High Swing Speed/Mid Spin” recommendations, but I’ll have to test a sleeve before switching again.

I played cheap balls in college and just out of college, so until I had access and knew about balls I just played whatever.

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

On 8/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, TBS said:

....at what point did you decide that a premium ball is absolutely worth the extra cost?

I played the original Spalding Top Flite, not the XL or later variations, from when it was first introduced  

all the way to when it went completely out of production.

When it came out, it was just as expensive as the once famous and classic Spalding Dot balata-covered wound ball.

By the time it went out of production many years later, the identical ball, completely unchanged, was a popular priced ball.

I played the old Top Flite back when wound balls predominated because every one behaved exactly the same-- and for me,  it was the easiest ball

on the market with which to make club selection. 

That's what it was.  Not distance.  Not trajectory.  Not spin.  Perfect consistency for club selection.  

Detractors, in fact, called them Rock Flites, but I loved them.

Now that wound balls have disappeared from the scene, we have urethane covered premium non-wound balls

and surlyn covered popular-priced non-wound balls.   We all know that.

On another thread, I described how I got a dozen Pro V1x balls as a gift, played well with them, and didn't realize how obscenely expensive they are until I bought a dozen on my own.   I got a touch of sticker shock to be sure, but I bit the bullet in order to once again stick with what I knew.  

When did I decide that a premium ball was worth the extra cost?  

In the end, I didn't consider value at all.

I considered indulging myself to stay in a comfort zone.

When I was a high handicap I played Wilson  Duo soft: I was losing 3 -6 balls every round and didn’t care to spend more than $1 per ball. Once I got down to about a 14, I switched to chromesoft truvis: the pattern really helped me work on my putting and chipping. Once I was down into single digits I figured any price was worth a ball suited to my game. Since then, I’ve been a shameless ball flirt: I’ve tried everything and discovered that really any low spin premium ball works for me. My favorite 3 are -ProV1, chromesoft XLS, and Snell MTB-X. Left dash can hard to come by at a local shop, and I really love the triple track option on chromesoft. But you can’t beat Snell on price; and it’s as good as balls twice as expensive.

• Like 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

I love Micah's bag.

No fairway woods and five wedges.

If I found that bag strapped to my cart, I'd just stay at the bar and drink instead!

Then again, I don't drive the ball 285 yards.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2021 at 6:05 AM, BostonSal said:

I love Micah's bag.

No fairway woods and five wedges.

If I found that bag strapped to my cart, I'd just stay at the bar and drink instead!

Then again, I don't drive the ball 285 yards.  

I’ve added a Ping g410 LST 3 wood, but I still have 5 wedges 😝

• Like 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png