Scramble rules

If my ball is used off the tee, am I allowed to move the ball 1 club length (no closer to hole), or do I play as it lies with the players following me having the 1 club length allowance?  Is this the same greenside?  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Yes to both. Also just because the choice is to use your ball there isn’t a requirement you be the first to play so they others don’t technically have to be following you. The guys I used to play scrambles with would typically let the better go last and on approach shots the order depending on what the strategy for the hole was

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes to both. Also just because the choice is to use your ball there isn’t a requirement you be the first to play so they others don’t technically have to be following you. The guys I used to play scrambles with would typically let the better go last and on approach shots the order depending on what the strategy for the hole was

Good point. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

There really are no “official rules” for scrambles.    Ultimately the organizers of the scramble set the rules.    For example I have played in events that allowed the ball to be moved one club; however the lie(rough, bunker, green) must be the same as the selected shot. That said,  I’m past scrambles that I have played everyone can move the balL in accordance with the scramble rules.   

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've never played in a scramble where you didn't get a club length to move it regardless of who hit it.  Like cnosil mentioned you just can't change the lie from one condition to another.  When you place the ball you should absolutely give yourself the best lie possible in the conditions you have though.  Most I play also gives you a putter head left or right on the greens.

We started a modified scramble at my course that is a little different.  Everyone tee's off, but then the same person isn't allowed to hit twice in a row.  So if we took my drive then I am not allowed to hit the next shot.  Then on the greens everyone putts except on the par 3's which each have a designated single putter based off handicap.  

If you ever have any questions on the format though it's just best to ask the organizers or the proshop before teeing off.

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Like @cnosil pointed out, there really are no "rules" for a scramble format. Once a scoring format is selected (strokeplay, matchplay, stableford, etc.) you basically just abide by those rules to the extent it makes reasonable sense. It is not expected that every player will hit from the same exact spot as that could very well leave 3 out of 4 players hitting from a divot and the order in which you hit does not matter either. As @RickyBobby_PR suggested, a common strategy is to have the best player(s) in the group go last - this gives them the freedom to play more aggressively if the team already has a ball in play and allows them to get a better read on putts (usually).

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

• 1 month later...

Scrambles and rules.  Now that’s funny 😂😂😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Maybe I'm not grasping what the OP is asking. I've never played in a scramble where all players weren't allowed to move the ball some limited distance, e.g. one club length no closer, still in a hazard if applicable. It really wouldn't make sense if the selected ball landed in a divot, how would you force all players to hit from a divot? Or if player 1 hits, do players 2-4 place their ball in player 1's divot - could be pretty nasty by player 4. So everyone plays from within a club length no closer, and the chosen ball can be rolled over as well. That applies to all shots on the course including green side, with the exception of putting, where each player should putt from as close to the exact same spot as practical.

Like others have said, scrambles usually have stated rules, there's no USGA standard.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

On 10/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Scrambles and rules.  Now that’s funny 😂😂😂

I played with an acquaintance in a few scrambles and the only rule he had, was he drank a beer every hole and took a leak on every other hole. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

4 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I played with an acquaintance in a few scrambles and the only rule he had, was he drank a beer every hole and took a leak on every other hole. 🙂

Must have been my old boss.  He played in the Spokane Handicap Invitational Tournament every year drinking a beer a hole.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 10/8/2021 at 3:51 PM, Kenny B said:

Must have been my old boss.  He played in the Spokane Handicap Invitational Tournament every year drinking a beer a hole.

We had an outing out our course two years ago.  They told everyone to keep their empties in the basket of the cart as they would get to deduct 1 stroke for every 6 empty cans in the back.  😮 yikes!! 

• Haha 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

We had an outing out our course two years ago.  They told everyone to keep their empties in the basket of the cart as they would get to deduct 1 stroke for every 6 empty cans in the back.  😮 yikes!! 

I'd pick out the trash cans. LOL

• Haha 1

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter, spherical projectiles by Snell. 

The best scramble rule that's been adopted by most everyone in Western, NY is the automatic 2 putt.  Hit the green in 2 on a 4, guaranteed par...give it a go for birdie.  

Helps with pace of play and offers the same advantage to all teams.

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I just played in a scramble this weekend.  The rules were very simple, 1 club length for approach shots, 6 inches on the green, no closer to the hole, rough had to stay in rough, highest allowable score was bogey.

We had a side wager that included some additional stuff but that was on us - we weren't going to win the actual scramble with the team that we assembled that we did win our side bet which then rolled over to a double or nothing match play scramble at a different course on Sunday - that had a club pro playing two balls and choosing the best one from a back set of tees while we played a scramble from the senior tees. And we were allowed three call backs on his shots.  It was a 14 hole match because my friend lives off the 14th green and has the best home bar that you've ever seen.  

We closed him out on 13 3 and 1.  We then hit a tee shot on the par 3 15th closest to the pin for another carry over - man did he loose some money - 

• Like 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.