Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Scramble rules

pulledabill

If my ball is used off the tee, am I allowed to move the ball 1 club length (no closer to hole), or do I play as it lies with the players following me having the 1 club length allowance?  Is this the same greenside?  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Yes to both. Also just because the choice is to use your ball there isn’t a requirement you be the first to play so they others don’t technically have to be following you. The guys I used to play scrambles with would typically let the better go last and on approach shots the order depending on what the strategy for the hole was

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes to both. Also just because the choice is to use your ball there isn’t a requirement you be the first to play so they others don’t technically have to be following you. The guys I used to play scrambles with would typically let the better go last and on approach shots the order depending on what the strategy for the hole was

Good point. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

There really are no “official rules” for scrambles.    Ultimately the organizers of the scramble set the rules.    For example I have played in events that allowed the ball to be moved one club; however the lie(rough, bunker, green) must be the same as the selected shot. That said,  I’m past scrambles that I have played everyone can move the balL in accordance with the scramble rules.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've never played in a scramble where you didn't get a club length to move it regardless of who hit it.  Like cnosil mentioned you just can't change the lie from one condition to another.  When you place the ball you should absolutely give yourself the best lie possible in the conditions you have though.  Most I play also gives you a putter head left or right on the greens.

We started a modified scramble at my course that is a little different.  Everyone tee's off, but then the same person isn't allowed to hit twice in a row.  So if we took my drive then I am not allowed to hit the next shot.  Then on the greens everyone putts except on the par 3's which each have a designated single putter based off handicap.  

If you ever have any questions on the format though it's just best to ask the organizers or the proshop before teeing off.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Like @cnosil pointed out, there really are no "rules" for a scramble format. Once a scoring format is selected (strokeplay, matchplay, stableford, etc.) you basically just abide by those rules to the extent it makes reasonable sense. It is not expected that every player will hit from the same exact spot as that could very well leave 3 out of 4 players hitting from a divot and the order in which you hit does not matter either. As @RickyBobby_PR suggested, a common strategy is to have the best player(s) in the group go last - this gives them the freedom to play more aggressively if the team already has a ball in play and allows them to get a better read on putts (usually).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

Scrambles and rules.  Now that’s funny 😂😂😂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Maybe I'm not grasping what the OP is asking. I've never played in a scramble where all players weren't allowed to move the ball some limited distance, e.g. one club length no closer, still in a hazard if applicable. It really wouldn't make sense if the selected ball landed in a divot, how would you force all players to hit from a divot? Or if player 1 hits, do players 2-4 place their ball in player 1's divot - could be pretty nasty by player 4. So everyone plays from within a club length no closer, and the chosen ball can be rolled over as well. That applies to all shots on the course including green side, with the exception of putting, where each player should putt from as close to the exact same spot as practical.

Like others have said, scrambles usually have stated rules, there's no USGA standard.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

On 10/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Scrambles and rules.  Now that’s funny 😂😂😂

I played with an acquaintance in a few scrambles and the only rule he had, was he drank a beer every hole and took a leak on every other hole. 🙂

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

4 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I played with an acquaintance in a few scrambles and the only rule he had, was he drank a beer every hole and took a leak on every other hole. 🙂

Must have been my old boss.  He played in the Spokane Handicap Invitational Tournament every year drinking a beer a hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 10/8/2021 at 3:51 PM, Kenny B said:

Must have been my old boss.  He played in the Spokane Handicap Invitational Tournament every year drinking a beer a hole.

We had an outing out our course two years ago.  They told everyone to keep their empties in the basket of the cart as they would get to deduct 1 stroke for every 6 empty cans in the back.  😮 yikes!! 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

We had an outing out our course two years ago.  They told everyone to keep their empties in the basket of the cart as they would get to deduct 1 stroke for every 6 empty cans in the back.  😮 yikes!! 

I'd pick out the trash cans. LOL

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter

The best scramble rule that's been adopted by most everyone in Western, NY is the automatic 2 putt.  Hit the green in 2 on a 4, guaranteed par...give it a go for birdie.  

Helps with pace of play and offers the same advantage to all teams.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I just played in a scramble this weekend.  The rules were very simple, 1 club length for approach shots, 6 inches on the green, no closer to the hole, rough had to stay in rough, highest allowable score was bogey.

We had a side wager that included some additional stuff but that was on us - we weren't going to win the actual scramble with the team that we assembled that we did win our side bet which then rolled over to a double or nothing match play scramble at a different course on Sunday - that had a club pro playing two balls and choosing the best one from a back set of tees while we played a scramble from the senior tees. And we were allowed three call backs on his shots.  It was a 14 hole match because my friend lives off the 14th green and has the best home bar that you've ever seen.  

We closed him out on 13 3 and 1.  We then hit a tee shot on the par 3 15th closest to the pin for another carry over - man did he loose some money - 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 year later...

So I have another question to add here... 

When playing a scramble, can you stand behind your partner when he's putting? Our opponent claimed "its not legal, look at rhe rules of golf" but nowhere in the rules of golf does it ever mention anything about a scramble! We didn't feel like arguing and moved on but I would like some clarity! 

TSi3 9° Tour AD ub 7 TX

Callaway XR 3wood UST 85g X

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3I DG TI X100

Cobra King Tour 4-P DG TI X100

50° RTX4 DG X100

54°, 58° RTX Zipcore DG TI S400

Ping Oslo H

Chrome soft X LS

1 hour ago, Bogeys ov said:

So I have another question to add here... 

When playing a scramble, can you stand behind your partner when he's putting? Our opponent claimed "its not legal, look at rhe rules of golf" but nowhere in the rules of golf does it ever mention anything about a scramble! We didn't feel like arguing and moved on but I would like some clarity! 

Read some of the earlier posts. There are no "rules" in scrambles other than those made by whoever's running it.

On 8/9/2021 at 2:00 PM, cnosil said:

There really are no “official rules” for scrambles.    Ultimately the organizers of the scramble set the rules.    For example I have played in events that allowed the ball to be moved one club; however the lie(rough, bunker, green) must be the same as the selected shot. That said,  I’m past scrambles that I have played everyone can move the balL in accordance with the scramble rules.   

On 8/9/2021 at 2:55 PM, hckymeyer said:

I've never played in a scramble where you didn't get a club length to move it regardless of who hit it.  Like cnosil mentioned you just can't change the lie from one condition to another.  When you place the ball you should absolutely give yourself the best lie possible in the conditions you have though.  Most I play also gives you a putter head left or right on the greens.

We started a modified scramble at my course that is a little different.  Everyone tee's off, but then the same person isn't allowed to hit twice in a row.  So if we took my drive then I am not allowed to hit the next shot.  Then on the greens everyone putts except on the par 3's which each have a designated single putter based off handicap.  

If you ever have any questions on the format though it's just best to ask the organizers or the proshop before teeing off.

Since there are no rules in a scramble except what's posted(?) by the organizers,,,,,,,, this one is a funny one as the ROG allow a player to take relief from the rough to the fairway. ROG recognizes no difference in those 2 areas. But for scrambles ? Yup.

In scrambles I've played in we use the same "stay in the same condition", not only for bunkers or penalty areas, but rough and fairway as well.

But according to the ROG, if you take relief from say, a sprinkler head just a foot into the rough you may be able to take it out into the fairway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

29 minutes ago, gophergutz said:

Since there are no rules in a scramble except what's posted(?) by the organizers,,,,,,,, this one is a funny one as the ROG allow a player to take relief from the rough to the fairway. ROG recognizes no difference in those 2 areas. But for scrambles ? Yup.

In scrambles I've played in we use the same "stay in the same condition", not only for bunkers or penalty areas, but rough and fairway as well.

But according to the ROG, if you take relief from say, a sprinkler head just a foot into the rough you may be able to take it out into the fairway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah.  That is a funny (funny strange) thing about scrambled. They blatantly ignore all the rules of golf.   But hey get very picky on that 1 club length same “area” thing.  Go figure. 

46 minutes ago, gophergutz said:

Read some of the earlier posts. There are no "rules" in scrambles other than those made by whoever's running it.

I agree that scrambles only have rules as far as the people putting on the event. Plus, there are so many ways to play a scramble. Drive only then your own ball, step aside scramble, scramble but everyone must be used for 3 drives. The games are endless and usually just a fun day to hang out drink and socialize. 

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

In my experience a lot of scrambles are geared to raise money for a charity or social events to get a bunch of people (many who rarely golf) around in a timely manner. 

2 hours ago, Javs said:

In my experience a lot of scrambles are geared ... to get a bunch of people (many who rarely golf) around in a timely manner. 

I don't play a lot of scrambles,  but I have never seen the get people around in a timely manner aspect you are referring too.   🙂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Javs said:

In my experience a lot of scrambles are geared to raise money for a charity or social events to get a bunch of people (many who rarely golf) around in a timely manner. 

There’s no timely manner in scrambles. They all take way longer than a regular round of golf

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s no timely manner in scrambles. They all take way longer than a regular round of golf

That's not entirely true.

If you've got players who really don't play much, they'll be pretty bad, but then again, all they do is hit a lousy shot and then play someone else's ball. I mean, nobody has to chase and play their bad shots. Hit one in the woods, take a quick look and move on.

I play in a regular scramble, no "gimmicks", min/max, etc. on Saturdays, and, in season, when the course is crowded, we're always waiting for regular groups.

Only time a scramble should be slower than normal is when there are "gimmicks". Strings, mulligans, etc. and teams wasting a lot of time trying to decide who does what, and where. And often(?), during those charity scrambles, they take up the entire course with a shotgun start and start 2 groups on every tee. For those, good luck with finishing in less than 5.5 hours.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I don't play a lot of scrambles,  but I have never seen the get people around in a timely manner aspect you are referring too.   🙂

Timely is not meant in relation to normal golf. I was referring to people that play once or twice a year. They show up for scrambles. Yes, it takes longer than we are used to, but better than if they played their own ball for 18. So, it is a net savings on time.

Edited by Javs

59 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

ABSOLUTELY! That is but one reason why I rarely play in scrambles.  If it is a charity or philanthropic organization that I believe in, I would rather write them a $100-$125 check than play in the scramble for their benefit.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not always true. I play in a Tuesday group with all single digit and low double digit handicaps. We often pick two man teams and play in three or four foursomes. It’s a two man scramble. We can play in under three hours if we have no one in front of us. It is a fun twist on a weekly game. 

Edited by Javs

1 hour ago, gophergutz said:

That's not entirely true.

If you've got players who really don't play much, they'll be pretty bad, but then again, all they do is hit a lousy shot and then play someone else's ball. I mean, nobody has to chase and play their bad shots. Hit one in the woods, take a quick look and move on.

I play in a regular scramble, no "gimmicks", min/max, etc. on Saturdays, and, in season, when the course is crowded, we're always waiting for regular groups.

Only time a scramble should be slower than normal is when there are "gimmicks". Strings, mulligans, etc. and teams wasting a lot of time trying to decide who does what, and where. And often(?), during those charity scrambles, they take up the entire course with a shotgun start and start 2 groups on every tee. For those, good luck with finishing in less than 5.5 hours.

The typical scramble is 1-2 groups on every hole and no gimmicks is 5.5/- hours

small scramble groups can’t be compared to a typical scramble 

33 minutes ago, Javs said:

Timely is not meant in relation to normal golf. I was referring to people that play once or twice a year. They show up for scrambles. Yes, it takes longer than we are used to, but better than if they played their own ball for 18. So, it is a net savings on time.

I play with those who only play a couple times a year and have no problem maintaining pace of play.

Ive been paired with random golfers who also only get out a few times a year. Never had a pace of play issue on courses that are strict about sticking to pace of play.

Generalizing occasional golfers is silly