Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Starting Shorter Putts On Line

Not sure when or why this started happening, but on putts shorter than 6 ft, I'm pushing ALL my putts. Longer putts, I have no trouble starting them on the intended line (not that I'm making them, just less frustrating). For context, on a 5 foot putt (no break or grain), I aimed at the center of the hole (had my playing partner verify) and missed the putt right by about a hole's width about 5 inches beyond the cup. If my push was consistent, I'd just aim to the left of my target line and push my putts, but when I do that, the putts go straight. Makes getting up and down near impossible and applying unnecessary stress on my 2 putts.

The obvious answer to me seems like my face and/or path are open to the target line at impact, but the question for those out there that have worked this out...Was it grip, posture, ball position, putter, all of the above (aka crap putting stroke)? or is this just a part of this silly game and I should embrace it since my livelihood is not at stake?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

Could be your eye/head position with respect to the ball.  Your subconscious thinks you are aimed left instead of straight on and it compensates by pushing the putt right.  Try with your eyes behind the ball or straight over the ball depending on where you are now.  I made a similar change last year getting my eyes behind the ball a little more because of pushed putts.

Another change I have made in the past was to putt shorter putts cross handed to have them online more consistently.  After adjusting my head position last year I haven't had to do that again....yet!  😄

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Videotape your putting stroke and post it here and you'll get some better responses.  More than likely, you have a bunch of unnecessary movements going on, but without seeing you in action, it's merely a guess.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, Gavwlee said:

Not sure when or why this started happening, but on putts shorter than 6 ft, I'm pushing ALL my putts. Longer putts, I have no trouble starting them on the intended line (not that I'm making them, just less frustrating). For context, on a 5 foot putt (no break or grain), I aimed at the center of the hole (had my playing partner verify) and missed the putt right by about a hole's width about 5 inches beyond the cup. If my push was consistent, I'd just aim to the left of my target line and push my putts, but when I do that, the putts go straight. Makes getting up and down near impossible and applying unnecessary stress on my 2 putts.

The obvious answer to me seems like my face and/or path are open to the target line at impact, but the question for those out there that have worked this out...Was it grip, posture, ball position, putter, all of the above (aka crap putting stroke)? or is this just a part of this silly game and I should embrace it since my livelihood is not at stake?

The ball basically goes in the direction the face is pointed since that has the greatest influence on direction.  There are a multitude of reasons that can cause this.   Since your stroke seems to produce decent results on longer putts, I would make a wild guess that you are holding the face open trying to guide the putt because you feel like you make too long of a stroke.  Even with short putts you have to make a complete stroke;  maybe try to lesson grip pressure on the short ones. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

The ball basically goes in the direction the face is pointed since that has the greatest influence on direction.  There are a multitude of reasons that can cause this.   Since your stroke seems to produce decent results on longer putts, I would make a wild guess that you are holding the face open trying to guide the putt because you feel like you make too long of a stroke.  Even with short putts you have to make a complete stroke;  maybe try to lesson grip pressure on the short ones. 

Hit the practice putting green this morning thinking about your comment. Seems like for shorter putts, I was trying to steer the ball into the hole and holding my face open and not allowing it to close in the putting arc. After relaxing my grip a bit, I started treating the shorter putts like a more precise lag putt and seeing better result. Gotta keep working on this to get the "feeling" ingrained.

17 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Could be your eye/head position with respect to the ball.  Your subconscious thinks you are aimed left instead of straight on and it compensates by pushing the putt right.  Try with your eyes behind the ball or straight over the ball depending on where you are now.  I made a similar change last year getting my eyes behind the ball a little more because of pushed putts.

Another change I have made in the past was to putt shorter putts cross handed to have them online more consistently.  After adjusting my head position last year I haven't had to do that again....yet!  😄

This is interesting! I tried to really take notice of this a bit and realized that on longer putts, my eye position is actually half a ball behind the ball and I'm better able to see down the putt line, at least it feels like it. On my shorter putts, my eyes are were a bit ahead of the ball and I didn't even notice. I took address like a longer lag putt and took a shorter stroke (to account for shorter distance) and combining @cnosil's tip (loosen grip pressure a bit), looks like I'm heading in the right direction (pun intended).

Thanks all!

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

You might also try, at least when practicing, the "Heads Up" putting method.  I don't use it on the course, but I do it often in practice to sort of re-calibrate my stroke.  It can get mechanical at times, and the heads up method forces you to be athletic and react to the hole like you would if you were going to toss or roll a ball to the cup with your hand.

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/heads-up-putting-technique/

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Buy a yard stick. Practice at home.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

If you're missing short putts it could just be lack of focus more than an issue with technique. You could be rushing or just not giving yourself a chance to settle over the putt. As they say, treat the short ones with respect.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

11 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Buy a yard stick. Practice at home.

That’s the 1 training aid I own and use with my 6 year old daughter! For a moment, I wondered if this was making me more “steery”. TBH…These days, my daughter has been straight out beating me in our race to 15 consecutive down the ruler…I may have to stay up after she goes to bed to get some more practice in 😅

I use the eyeline putting mirror as it has a gate drill on it. Before I got the mirrors, I used 4 tees. I would get an alignment stick out and lay it on a flat part of the green. I would push a tee all the way in the ground to mark where I would put the ball each time at one end of the stick.

Then, place a tee half way into the ground as my target at the other end of the stick. Halfway down the stick I would then build a gate just over a ball width apart with the final 2 tees. Then, I would remove the stick and try to hit 10 consecutive through the gate and hit the target tee. The tee all the wat in the ground would mark a consistent ball placement. I hit the right tee most often. 

You can also add a putter blade gate to ensure you are hitting the sweet spot if you wish.

Another drill is to get a chalk line device (any hardware store has them, used in flooring). You can then find a straight putt on the practice green and stretch the chalk string out along it. Thumb the string and it puts a chalk line on the green to putt by.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X