Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

BOA vs traditional laced shoes

rx1232

On 8/9/2021 at 6:19 PM, rx1232 said:

And why do i keep finding myself looking for BOA shoes?

I hear you!  I've tried them on a couple of times.  I feel like I should like them, they have a nice/sharp look about them.  But when I begin to tighten the knob, it just feels funny the way they snug onto my foot.  Just going to stick with laces for now.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I would choose BOA over laces if they are reasonably priced or on sale. I'm so lazy, that I never undo my laces. With BOA the fit is so snug that I gotta pop the mechanism. Takes only 1 second, so win win!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Big BOA fan. i have very narrow feet and being able to cinch them up tight equally across my foot gives me a much more stable feel than with laces.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I prefer lace up shoes because I use Lock Laces. Not quite like a boa system but that can be set up tight and you don't have to undo them to take your shoes on or off.

In the bag:
Driver: :cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

When I bought my first pair of golf shoes I tried both laces and BOA.  I know it's not likely the case, but I couldn't get over how flimsy the BOAs felt.  Again, they weren't actually, but I couldn't get the thought out of my mind, if that makes sense. 

Didn't look it up at the time, but what happens if it breaks? Feels like I could get replacement laces quicker and easier. 

Long story short, there's probably just a brief adjustment period, but I'm a lazy man and stick with what I know.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

+1 to the Lock Laces. They make any golf shoe or sneakers fit better

SW: Cleveland CBX 2 56 degree, 12 bounce

GW:  Cleveland CBX 2 52 degree, 11 bounce

6 - 9 irons: Callaway RAZR X HL Irons,  True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft

5H Callaway RAZR X HL 27 degree, 60 lie, 38.75" length

4H: Taylormade 22 degree,   60.5 Lie    40.25" length

3W Callaway Diablo Octane 15 degree, 56 lie, 43"

Taylormade Rocketballz 10.5 degree 46"

Huge BOA fan. I have had the Adidas 360s with BOA for about two years now and really would prefer to not go back. The way they evenly cinch down each and every time is great. I can't stress enough just how much nicer it is to have a consistently even tightness across the foot every time I use my shoes. I also like how easy it is to take shoes on and off. Plus, they are super easy to adjust through the round if you foot swells or shrinks.

I have done some research on the BOA system and it's not exactly a universal thing. Each shoe model with the BOA system requires special testing and approval by the BOA company and every design will probably have it's pros and cons. The biggest issue is generally the placement of the BOA wheel. Footjoy generally puts it on the heal and some others put it on the side. My Adidas have it on the top of the tongue, which is okay but it took awhile to get used to it and break in the tongue since it was longer than usual. Still to this day I have to wear slightly longer socks to ensure the tongue doesn't rub on the front of my ankle but this is a very minor issue. Durability is generally very good with BOA systems. You can order replacement parts for cheap if not free for all BOA systems. So if you're concerned and want a spare repair kit in your golf bag, it's not hard to get one. Overall, the BOA system has a very strong reputation in every category they are in and golf is no exception.

If I had to choose between having a BOA system or not for the same shoe, I would probably pay just about any amount extra assuming the implementation of it feels good for that particular shoe.