Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Midsize Grips

Having recently changed to midsize on my irons, I want to change my driver, 3w and 5w as well.  The KBS driver shaft I recently purchased came with a new Karma standard which I have since learned run on the small size.  I thought Golf Pride used to make a TV 360 midsize in the black color but don't se them listed anymore.  A spec sheet I found showed them at 53.5g and the standard size at 49.5g... so no significant change to SW.  I thought about using the Aligns that are on my irons but they are 62g.  

I handled the Winn Dri-Tac on a display awhile back and thought they felt to "rubbery" if that makes sense?  It looks like GP now offers the TV 360 white in midsize and that is 57.5g.  The only other one similar that is black is the Lamkin but I've never used their grips... pretty similar?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I play lamkin sonar + midsize and love them solid grip, not tacky. Although, in another club i am getting, i will have the ST hybrid, which i am also curious about for extra tack and hybrid feel

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Agreed on the Winn feeling rubbery, I dealt with that too when I tried them. For me, the Lamkin UTx midsize is my go-to. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Having recently changed to midsize on my irons, I want to change my driver, 3w and 5w as well.  The KBS driver shaft I recently purchased came with a new Karma standard which I have since learned run on the small size.  I thought Golf Pride used to make a TV 360 midsize in the black color but don't se them listed anymore.  A spec sheet I found showed them at 53.5g and the standard size at 49.5g... so no significant change to SW.  I thought about using the Aligns that are on my irons but they are 62g.  

I handled the Winn Dri-Tac on a display awhile back and thought they felt to "rubbery" if that makes sense?  It looks like GP now offers the TV 360 white in midsize and that is 57.5g.  The only other one similar that is black is the Lamkin but I've never used their grips... pretty similar?

Which Lamkin grip are you referring to specifically? Crossline? If so, I've had a few of them on clubs in the past and always wind up liking the TV better (like you, I have TV 360 on all my clubs). To me, the Crossline grips feel a bit firmer - don't know if they are just a touch thinner or actually use a harder compound, but the TV has a fraction more cushion to it IMO. I've also gamed the Pure grips and feel like they are perhaps a bit closer in feel to TV (not sure about weight). I will note that I don't think the Pure grips do as well with moisture - my hands get very sweaty and it is the primary reason why I went back to GP grips.

EDIT: I should also note that my experience is based on standard size grips. You may have a better experience using Lamkin with midsize.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I just found some TV 360 midsize in black at Dallas Golf for $2.99 and bought some extras. If need be, I can change out the weights on the woods if I even notice the change in SW.

I use Lamkin UTx Standard with 2 wraps. This brings you to a midsize without the extra weight. The UTx is .58 round which makes the circumference larger when installed. 

Edited by FiveGs

“I should of yelled Two!”

Driver: PXG 0811x Gen 4 / Tour AD TP6s

3W: PXG 0341x Gen 1 / Tour AD TP6s

3HY: :taylormade-small: GAPR / KBS Stiff

4-PW: :taylormade-small: P770 / Nippon Pro Modus 3 120 Stiff + 1/2”

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 / Nippon Pro Modus 3 120 Stiff + 1/2” 50-09, 54-11, 60-10

Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport 35

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

Cart: Clicgear 4.0

7 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I love my Pure grips played mid on them for a long time but switched to standard on my wedges to see how I liked them. I’ll stick with the mid I like the feel and they are great to use never have slippage when playing 

Same.  I've been playing Pure DTX midsize grips ever since they introduced them years ago.  I just bought a new set to replace the ones that have been on for a couple of years.  I could keep playing them; only a couple of clubs show "thumb" wear.  I'll save the others... just in case I need them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

55 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Same.  I've been playing Pure DTX midsize grips ever since they introduced them years ago.  I just bought a new set to replace the ones that have been on for a couple of years.  I could keep playing them; only a couple of clubs show "thumb" wear.  I'll save the others... just in case I need them.

I have absolutely no signs of wear after 4 nearly 5 years 

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

curious on the Pure grips. do they offer enough tack and traction? do they feel like Winn grips or less so?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

17 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

curious on the Pure grips. do they offer enough tack and traction? do they feel like Winn grips or less so?

Don't know much about Winn grips; maybe used some many years ago when Butch Harmon and Natalie Gulbis hawked them. 🤣  I remember that they didn't last very long.

I don't wear a glove, and I haven't had a problem with slipping, except when high humidity and my hands are sweaty; I put on a glove then.  I've been very happy with the tack and traction of Pure grips.  There are 3 models:

• PurePro which is similar to Golf Pride Tour Velvet; my first set and I still have a few of them I took off clubs that are still OK.
  • Pure Wrap - my wife likes those; a little softer.
  • Pure DTX which are very rough feeling and the Pure equivalent of corded grips.  The take some getting used to, but I feel like I don't have to strangle the club using these.

Oops!  Forgot that Pure added a combo grip this year which is the DTX under the top hand and the PurePro under the bottom hand.

All come in standard and midsize; the Pure Wrap is available in Jumbo which my wife likes for here driver and FW.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Don't know much about Winn grips; maybe used some many years ago when Butch Harmon and Natalie Gulbis hawked them. 🤣  I remember that they didn't last very long.

There was a Winn Dri Tac on an old 3W I bought off the used rack. I loved the sort of "spongy" feel and tackiness, but you're right, not terribly durable. When I regripped my old SW last year, I tried a SuperStroke Cross Comfort Midsize. Felt very similar to Winn. I've since put it on my driver and durability seems good so far.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

I never had an issue with slipping hands even in high humidity. I actually think if you wet them and clean them they get tackier, which is cool. I go gloveless on all wedges no matter how humid it is and I’ve never had my hands slip even a little. I really like that they are made in America 

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I don't wear a glove, and I haven't had a problem with slipping, except when high humidity and my hands are sweaty; I put on a glove then.  I've been very happy with the tack and traction of Pure grips.  There are 3 models:

• PurePro which is similar to Golf Pride Tour Velvet; my first set and I still have a few of them I took off clubs that are still OK.
  • Pure Wrap - my wife likes those; a little softer.
  • Pure DTX which are very rough feeling and the Pure equivalent of corded grips.  The take some getting used to, but I feel like I don't have to strangle the club using these.

Oops!  Forgot that Pure added a combo grip this year which is the DTX under the top hand and the PurePro under the bottom hand.

All come in standard and midsize; the Pure Wrap is available in Jumbo which my wife likes for here driver and FW.

I am looking to regrip, I have Lamkin REL's on now.. they are ok, just starting to feel a little slick... Living around Seattle would you recommend PURE grips?? and how does going to Mid size help over Standard? 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

5 hours ago, Reesedw said:

I am looking to regrip, I have Lamkin REL's on now.. they are ok, just starting to feel a little slick... Living around Seattle would you recommend PURE grips?? and how does going to Mid size help over Standard? 

The mids by Pure are no where as thick as GP they are thicker but not crazy thick 

26 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

The mids by Pure are no where as thick as GP they are thicker but not crazy thick 

Thanks, After a long round, which is frequent these days my hands tend to feel tired.. That might be me getting old, but maybe Mid-size might help..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

10 hours ago, Reesedw said:

Grips are almost as personal as putters and wedges.  I liked corded grips over wraps and the tour velvet types, but most didn't seem to last more than 6 months.  When I tried the Pures, they were on sale and I got the air install gun free which was a very good deal.  These grips last!!  I wash them regularly with dish soap and warm water to get the oils from my hands off, and they are still tacky after a couple of years.  

I don't see any reason why they would work in Seattle.  You might order a couple to put on tons which ones you prefer.  I did that for my wife.  BTW, @tommc23 is right.  The midsize is not much bigger than standard.  I like the midsize; don't have big hands but I do have long fingers.  My wife has small hands, but very arthritic.  Midsize works for her, but the new Jumbo is what she likes on the driver and 3W.  The Jumbo might be about like other midsize grips or slightly bigger.

Chris had Pure grips on his D7's and I was hitting them on the range (lake) at Meadowood.  I don't know if they were standard or midsize but they felt pretty good - a little on the softer side as compared to the PING ID-8's on my G410's.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, MaxEntropy said:

There was a Winn Dri Tac on an old 3W I bought off the used rack. I loved the sort of "spongy" feel and tackiness, but you're right, not terribly durable. When I regripped my old SW last year, I tried a SuperStroke Cross Comfort Midsize. Felt very similar to Winn. I've since put it on my driver and durability seems good so far.

Saw this yesterday, looks like Winn has come out with a new version of the Dritak that is supposed to be more durable than its predecessor. I've been using the Lamkin Sonars for the last year, and while I'm not enamored with them, they are durable AF. After all the rounds & range sessions I've put them through they look & feel brand spanking new.

https://www.golfgearbox.com/blogs/news/top-10-shock-absorbing-golf-grips

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18