Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Tweener Golfer

I have a 12 year old (soon to be 13) who has been using US Kids TS golf clubs for several seasons.  I'm done buying those clubs.  They have served their purpose and the young golfer is 68 inches and counting.  So he's taller than he is strong, although large strides were made in the strength department this summer.  

I have a few ideas/options on which way to go for an intermediary set (something to bridge him from 7th and 8th grade local junior golf until high school golf when he might be done growing), but was wondering if anyone else has experiences or insights to share regarding junior golfers who have outgrown the junior golf clubs but physically not quite ready for a full bag fitting.

I suppose any time is a good time for a full bag fitting, but I'm angling to keep the large investment for when he's a little older and stronger.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Aaron

My son is 15 and has been using my older set of Wilson Staff D200 irons with R flex graphite shafts. He's at the point where he probably needs to be in something a little more stout because he's almost my height and can outdrive me on occasion. We didn't go for a full fitting or anything of the sort when he outgrew his Jr Cobra set during his PGA Jr years, his pro recommended moving him into something in R flex that he could choke down on and my spare irons fit the bill. I'm betting you could find a wide range of options like you mentioned that would be lower cost and give him something to use until he grows a bit more and can be fit into something a little more long term. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

As a high school coach, I'd recommend looking for good, name brand,  clubs with R shafts in the 3 to 7 year old range. You should be able to get them at a big discount and they should suit his needs for the next 2 or 3 years at least. At that point, you'll know if he has serious interest and some talent (time for a fitting) or if he is just going to be having fun with dad and his friends (stick with the same set through high school).  The advantage to this is that if he takes care of them, you'll be able to get most of your money back when you resell them if/ when he gets fitted when you think he's about done maturing.

Thanks Coach! New PXG 0211 DCs (2021), New Taylormade M4s (2018), and used Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals are currently all options and relatively the same spend for 4i - PW.  But I am not done looking yet.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Swing speed would help us make some very basic shaft recommendations.

My older daughter is only 5'4", but when she graduated from the TS series, we got her a set of Titleist AP1s with A-flex shafts.  She's not growing, so I had her fitted and bought new.  Also, she doesn't like longer irons (she plays hybrids above the 7 iron), so I didn't have to buy a very large set.  

Her driver swing speed is about 80 mph.

If you have a big box retailer near you that sells used clubs and has a simulator, you may want to check them out to get an idea of what he'll like in the way of shafts and heads.  Even if you need to pay a bit for the sim time, it's worth it to have some info to go on as you head to eBay / Second Swing / Global Golf.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Swing speed would help us make some very basic shaft recommendations.

My older daughter is only 5'4", but when she graduated from the TS series, we got her a set of Titleist AP1s with A-flex shafts.  She's not growing, so I had her fitted and bought new.  Also, she doesn't like longer irons (she plays hybrids above the 7 iron), so I didn't have to buy a very large set.  

Her driver swing speed is about 80 mph.

If you have a big box retailer near you that sells used clubs and has a simulator, you may want to check them out to get an idea of what he'll like in the way of shafts and heads.  Even if you need to pay a bit for the sim time, it's worth it to have some info to go on as you head to eBay / Second Swing / Global Golf.

His driver swing speed (using my old Ping G400 Max) is between 90-92.  The last few days he has hit balls with several regular flex shafts - AP2s with ProjectX5.5 steel shafts, M4s w Fujikara Atmos Red 6 graphite and JPX 921 Hot Metal with UST Recoil ESX F3 graphite.  He definitely prefers the weight of the graphite shafts, although on the swing machine the spin and angle of descent aren't perfect with a 7i.  Wondering if something w softer tip will help.  Might make another trip to the Superstore 😂

I've discussed with his instructor before, but now that I feel like I'm narrowing choices, I'm going to bring it up again and see what his feedback is.

Thanks for adding your thoughts!

2 hours ago, Aaron Salinas said:

His driver swing speed (using my old Ping G400 Max) is between 90-92.  The last few days he has hit balls with several regular flex shafts - AP2s with ProjectX5.5 steel shafts, M4s w Fujikara Atmos Red 6 graphite and JPX 921 Hot Metal with UST Recoil ESX F3 graphite.  He definitely prefers the weight of the graphite shafts, although on the swing machine the spin and angle of descent aren't perfect with a 7i.  Wondering if something w softer tip will help.  Might make another trip to the Superstore 😂

I've discussed with his instructor before, but now that I feel like I'm narrowing choices, I'm going to bring it up again and see what his feedback is.

Looks like you're taking a solid approach to this!  Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, Aaron Salinas said:

Just my thoughts, you don't find many young kids playing graphite shafts. I would keep him in steel shafts.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

9 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Just my thoughts, you don't find many young kids playing graphite shafts. I would keep him in steel shafts.

Having been involved in PGA Jr for a few years and watching kids from 8-17, it was extremely rare to see steel shafts. It's quite the opposite - many have graphite. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 8/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, russtopherb said:

Having been involved in PGA Jr for a few years and watching kids from 8-17, it was extremely rare to see steel shafts. It's quite the opposite - many have graphite. 

Same here. Boys might get into them late in high school, and girls are skipping them completely. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Nothing purchased yet, but all info gathered to this point (have an hour fitting this week where we will get a recommendation of shafts to seek out), are that we will go with graphite shafts on a CB players iron on the secondary market.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts! Fun to read and think about.