TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball Striking Drills & Feedback

What is your go to drill when you feel like your ball striking is off? I am new to the game and I want to know what drills the fine folks here in the forum find themselves coming back to when trying to dial in that crisp downward ball then turf angle of attack iron shot? One I have heard of recently that seems like great real vs feel feedback as well is spraying foot powder or dry shampoo on the club face to show where the ball was impacted low/high/heel/toe. What products have you found to perform this task well?

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

1 hour ago, TheProfessor02 said:

What is your go to drill when you feel like your ball striking is off? I am new to the game and I want to know what drills the fine folks here in the forum find themselves coming back to when trying to dial in that crisp downward ball then turf angle of attack iron shot? One I have heard of recently that seems like great real vs feel feedback as well is spraying foot powder or dry shampoo on the club face to show where the ball was impacted low/high/heel/toe. What products have you found to perform this task well?

The foot powder isn't about angle of attack,  it is about where you are contacting the ball on the face.    You can use foot powder to draw a line on the ground and make sure you are hitting in front of the line.   You can also put a towel about 6" behind the ball and avoid hitting the towel on the downswing.   Adam Young would be a good resource to look at to improve ball contact; he talks about both moving the low point foward as well as having the right depth.   Below is a video from Martin Chuck that works on strike location from bunkers.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

The foot powder isn't about angle of attack,  it is about where you are contacting the ball on the face.    You can use foot powder to draw a line on the ground and make sure you are hitting in front of the line.   You can also put a towel about 6" behind the ball and avoid hitting the towel on the downswing.   Adam Young would be a good resource to look at to improve ball contact; he talks about both moving the low point foward as well as having the right depth.   Below is a video from Martin Chuck that works on strike location from bunkers.  

Yes, sorry if my wording is confusing when mentioning low/high strikes etc I was only referring to where the ball comes into contact with the face of the club which is independent of the angle of attack. Thank you for the link as there doesn't seem to be as good of a collection of drills for ball striking versus say putting that I've been able to find. 

21 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Yes, sorry if my wording is confusing when mentioning low/high strikes etc I was only referring to where the ball comes into contact with the face of the club which is independent of the angle of attack. Thank you for the link as there doesn't seem to be as good of a collection of drills for ball striking versus say putting that I've been able to find. 

Read Adam Young's stuff.  He has drills to work on face contact. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Feet together swings is one of the best drills to do.

9-3 swings are another. 

Trying to hit punch shots in another.

While there isn’t one universal drill these are some of the most basic drills that will work on the fundamentals a of the swing and where the vast majority of full swings break down. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yeah I have been looking at some of his stuff since you mentioned it and he has some great videos explaining the basic fundamentals of what affects ball flight. 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Feet together swings is one of the best drills to do.

9-3 swings are another. 

Trying to hit punch shots in another.

While there isn’t one universal drill these are some of the most basic drills that will work on the fundamentals a of the swing and where the vast majority of full swings break down. 

Yes it definitely fits in with what I have been seeing. I have also heard of chip, punch, full drills working on honing strike which then works up to flighting irons and working them higher or lower depending on wind conditions. 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Second this. Helps a ton

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

My warm up for a round or practice session starts with feet together drills, then left foot only and right foot only.  Then I move on to hitting 5 shots with the same club--a chip, a short pitch, a long pitch, 3/4 shot and full shot.  I vary the iron each day.  All shots to a target and with easy tempo.