TESTERS WANTED! ×

More fairways = more greens/better scores?

We see frequently people wanting to improve their fairway hits percentage. Nothing wrong with that as usually being in the fairway gives a good lie and usually a good stance on most courses which in theory makes it easier to hit a good shot.

The question is when you hit more fairways does it increase your GIR that day? Do you score better with more fairways hit on that day?

Me personally I don’t worry that much about fairways hit, hitting more greens for me is more important. I can miss a fairway and be in the first cut and still have a chance to get on the green on most of the courses I play. I’ve had some low rounds with only a few fairways hit but hit 9+ greens or barely missed the green and still get par.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I prefer to hit fairways for a couple reasons...even if I am 10 - 15 yards shorter than going after it and being in the rough.....

I can control distance and spin more consistently from the fairway so even with hitting a green from the rough I am generally closer if I am hitting from the fairway.  

The rough on the course I have been playing in the league is very inconsistent from bare dirt with intermittent clumps of grass to thick, lush US Open height.  Some real challenging lies pop up.

I am not hitting wedges into a lot of greens but mid irons so it is more challenging to bomb & gouge from the rough with a 7i than a PW.  I think that may be a difference between the Pro's and amateurs when it comes to bomb & gouge statistics and chasing distance with little regard to dispersion.  They chase distance and are hitting a wedge into the green from the rough.  Amateurs playing a 7i or longer, even getting to a hybrid, will probably do better from the short grass even if it costs them 15 yards for the accuracy.  

You're from MD....have you played Bulle Rock and dealt with the length of that course and the thickness of their rough and the firmness of their greens?    I still remember two summers ago playing a alternate shot couples tournament there and trying to power longer iron shots from the rough.  It was a 'challenging' day to say the least but we avoided divorce court!   🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I prefer to not be in the woods or hitting 3 from the tee. I don't care if I'm in the fairway or the rough, as long as I have a clear second shot I don't care where it's from. 

The joys of being a 17 hdcp... 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

45 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I prefer to hit fairways for a couple reasons...even if I am 10 - 15 yards shorter than going after it and being in the rough.....

I can control distance and spin more consistently from the fairway so even with hitting a green from the rough I am generally closer if I am hitting from the fairway.  

The rough on the course I have been playing in the league is very inconsistent from bare dirt with intermittent clumps of grass to thick, lush US Open height.  Some real challenging lies pop up.

I am not hitting wedges into a lot of greens but mid irons so it is more challenging to bomb & gouge from the rough with a 7i than a PW.  I think that may be a difference between the Pro's and amateurs when it comes to bomb & gouge statistics and chasing distance with little regard to dispersion.  They chase distance and are hitting a wedge into the green from the rough.  Amateurs playing a 7i or longer, even getting to a hybrid, will probably do better from the short grass even if it costs them 15 yards for the accuracy.  

You're from MD....have you played Bulle Rock and dealt with the length of that course and the thickness of their rough and the firmness of their greens?    I still remember two summers ago playing a alternate shot couples tournament there and trying to power longer iron shots from the rough.  It was a 'challenging' day to say the least but we avoided divorce court!   🤣

I’ve played Bulle Rock numerous times and several times with members on this forum. I play multiple courses with thick rough like Whiskey Creek and Maryland National. Those courses along with several others on the I-70/270 area also have fast greens. 

You say you prefer to give up 1+ club of distance off the tee to be in the fairway and never have a short iron into greens, have you considered moving up a tee box to give you the ability to hit shorter clubs into greens.

Also does the approach you use lead to lower scores when you hit more fairways than days you don’t?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

I prefer to not be in the woods or hitting 3 from the tee. I don't care if I'm in the fairway or the rough, as long as I have a clear second shot I don't care where it's from. 

The joys of being a 17 hdcp... 

but the question is do you hit more greens or score better when your fairways hit is high compared to low?

I think that public courses should do away with rough.  Do what Bluejack National did… make it a smidge longer than the fairway… 

Speeds up play, less lost balls… more fun, less wear and tear on people… 

Seems like a win, win.

To answer your question though.  I don’t care where I am, as long as it is not OB, penalty or blocked out.  Just hammer the ball out of the rough, it’s one of my many talents, because I am in it a lot.

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

but the question is do you hit more greens or score better when your fairways hit is high compared to low?

A quick glance at stats shows that my GIR goes up with FIR.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think that public courses should do away with rough.  Do what Bluejack National did… make it a smidge longer than the fairway… 

Seems like a win, win.

To answer your question though.  I don’t care where I am, as long as it is not OB, penalty or blocked out.  Just hammer the ball out of the rough, it’s one of my many talents, because I am in it a lot.

I don’t think rough effects pace of play as much  as green speed does but even that ime isn’t the pace of play issue. Several of the course I mentioned have either and some have both and pace of play isn’t an issue. The courses make the pace known before you go to the first tee and the marshalls do a good job of enforcement. 

The knowledge or lack of golf etiquette is a bigger issue for pace of play 

I can't back this up with statistics, but I'd bet that I do hit more greens and score better when I hit more fairways.  I'm not talking about hitting shorter clubs off the tee in order to hit more fairways, I'm talking about the days when I'm driving it straighter at my normal distance.  Being in the rough definitely leads to wider dispersion on the subsequent shots.  If the rough is light, the effect might be small, if its thick and deep, its a greater impact.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t think rough effects pace of play as much  as green speed does but even that ime isn’t the pace of play issue. Several of the course I mentioned have either and some have both and pace of play isn’t an issue. The courses make the pace known before you go to the first tee and the marshalls do a good job of enforcement. 

The knowledge or lack of golf etiquette is a bigger issue for pace of play 

I play on Velcro.  So I see your point there.  Etiquette and just general awareness of what the heck is going on around you would help out too.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I play on Velcro.  So I see your point there.  Etiquette and just general awareness of what the heck is going on around you would help out too.

Yeah that’s the biggest issue I see on ice of play. I do agree though that the rough and green speed have an impact as I’ve witnessed people 3-4 putt several holes back to back at Worthington Manor which is used for US open qualifiers and other high level AM events and the greens are the only defense they have to low scores. Get on the wrong level and it’s a lifting nightmare. Have that happen for a couple groups and there goes pace of play. 

I stopped playing one course except 1 or times a year now because the course stopped caring about pace and there’s a couple money groups that go out late morning that just take forever. So what used to be a guaranteed 4:20 round is 5+

The issue with rough that I’ve seen is when it’s overgrown and people spend more than the old 5 mins and now 3 min rule for looking

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve played Bulle Rock numerous times and several times with members on this forum. I play multiple courses with thick rough like Whiskey Creek and Maryland National. Those courses along with several others on the I-70/270 area also have fast greens. 

You say you prefer to give up 1+ club of distance off the tee to be in the fairway and never have a short iron into greens, have you considered moving up a tee box to give you the ability to hit shorter clubs into greens.

Also does the approach you use lead to lower scores when you hit more fairways than days you don’t?

I did not say "never have a short iron into greens", I said I am not hitting wedges into a lot of greens.  I don't think I need to move up quite yet.  I am still leading the league in birdies playing the same tees as the young guys & while a lot of oldsters moved up a tee or even two.  I generally get 5 or 6 of the 9 points in the matches.  I do shake my head when I am hitting a 4 hybrid or 5i on the one par 3 while the young'ns are hitting 7i but my record on that hole isn't any worse than any other hole.  I enjoy playing the varied shots, I get a lot more enjoyment playing a course that requires hitting all the clubs in the bag during a round than driver - wedge all day. 

My general feeling is I score better from the fairway because I tend to remember the blow up holes and those weren't from the fairway.   I'd have to do some kind of statistical analysis on scores and fairways hit from the grint data i've entered for league play this year to see what the numbers say.  Last night's small sample size, I missed two fairways and doubled both those holes.  One, I hit a straight shot instead of a fade while cutting a corner on a dogleg and lost the ball in high fescue on the left, the other one a drive faded into a fairway bunker and rolled up under the lip...a 3 putt completed the double after missing the green.  Both holes I could have hit a hybrid playing safer but chose not to.  The other holes I hit 5 fairways with either a driver or hybrid and was -1 on those holes and disappointed by missing 2 other 6' birdie putts....eta...one approach was with a 8i and the other was with the 4h.

Maybe a different course with different playing conditions would merit a bomb and gouge approach for me.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The question is when you hit more fairways does it increase your GIR that day? Do you score better with more fairways hit on that day?

More fairways doesn’t seem to equate to more GIR or better scoring in my game. I am relatively consistent in FW and GIR totals.   Obviously I would rather be in the fairway but as long as I have a reasonable shot at hitting the green I am happy with the tee shot.  My scoring is more driven by my short game shots.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

More fairways doesn’t seem to equate to more GIR or better scoring in my game. I am relatively consistent in FW and GIR totals.   Obviously I would rather be in the fairway but as long as I have a reasonable shot at hitting the green I am happy with the tee shot.  My scoring is more driven by my short game shots.

This has been how my recent rounds are. If my 100 and in game is working I can keep it around 80. If it’s slightly off especially in the 30-50 then I start bringing in mid 80s unlike I can drop a long putt or two

Absolutely I hit more greens from the fairway than the rough (59% total GIR, 53% GIR from other than fairway), I would venture a guess that this is the case for every golfer. However a drive in the rough doesn't mean I hit a bad one and a drive in the fairway doesn't mean I hit a good one. People need to understand that the rough for most every golf course that we play has very little effect on overall score. Yes, I have played in tournaments that were setup very difficult and fairways were definitely a premium, but most of those were due to the greens and not the rough. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Seems like a win, win.

I agree with the shorter rough concept. A recent Fore the People podcast just discussed this course. Sounds like pace of play is 5-6 hours because there is a bar and smokehouse on the Par 3 12th hole where most groups spend 30-40 minutes eating, drinking, and heckling other groups as they tee off. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Unless it is deep U.S. Open-like rough, I don’t mind hitting my second shot from the rough, but it does limit the type of shot I am going to be able to hit and the club I select.  If I am 150 yards from the middle of the green and in the fairway, I’m likely to be hitting a 7-iron approach shot (unless I am hitting into the wind and/or uphill) and my chances of being somewhere on the green, probably within 25-35 feet of the hole, are quite good.  However, if I am that same 150 yards out and in the rough, I may need to hit a 6-iron (if the ball is sitting down in moderate-length rough), or maybe an 8-iron if I have a “flyer” lie, and my probability of hitting and staying on the green probably decreases to around 50-60% at best.  If the rough is really deep and thick, I may need to “take my medicine” and hit a wedge of some sort, leaving me a short wedge into the green for my next shot.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I LOVE Bulle Rock (played it many times when my handicap was lower; don’t know how I’d fare if I played there now).  I’ve also played Whiskey Creek a couple of times, and if I recall correctly, it beat me up pretty good, with me shooting in the mid-90s.  There was another course out in western MD (between Frederick and Hagerstown, I believe) that I played twice that was a real brute.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

45 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I LOVE Bulle Rock (played it many times when my handicap was lower; don’t know how I’d fare if I played there now).  I’ve also played Whiskey Creek a couple of times, and if I recall correctly, it beat me up pretty good, with me shooting in the mid-90s.  There was another course out in western MD (between Frederick and Hagerstown, I believe) that I played twice that was a real brute.

It will get you if having a bad day especially the back 9 starting on 12

On 8/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, cnosil said:

... I am with you and RB to a certain degree but quite a few factors involved, mostly what kind of course are you playing? Most of the desert courses I play here in Phoenix hitting the fairway is almost irrelevant, unless you find the rocky desert. Rough is light or even like a first cut and while there is an advantage of getting the ball close to the pin from the fairway with scoring irons, it isn't that much more difficult to hit the green from the light rough. Several courses I played back in Chicago had thick rough that made hitting the green almost impossible from 125 and longer. Even a links style course back there had rough so deep, just a few inches off the fairway could result in a lost ball I had to step on to find. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

This really is a question of knowing the course - 

Certainly I will hit more greens from the fairway than the rough especially on longer shots.  However there is also a point of diminishing returns where it is not to my advantage to hit it shorter in the fairway into the green than from the rough but closer.  It would be interesting to figure out what that point would be - I'm not very long off the tee and am straight with the driver so I'm generally hitting driver regardless on most holes.  I recently played a course that I wasn't familiar with and my companions suggested 5 wood off the tee because water would be in play if I blocked/pushed driver.  I was in the fairway but it left me 185 yards, uphill into the wind - when I play that course again I will be hitting driver and taking the water risk - Its possible that I can carry all of the traps on the left and be hitting driver into a wider area as well - from there it would be a short iron to the green rather than a fairway wood of some sort - I hit 7 wood short in this case on my second shot.

Interesting question

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

We see frequently people wanting to improve their fairway hits percentage. Nothing wrong with that as usually being in the fairway gives a good lie and usually a good stance on most courses which in theory makes it easier to hit a good shot.

Me personally I don’t worry that much about fairways hit, hitting more greens for me is more important. I can miss a fairway and be in the first cut and still have a chance to get on the green on most of the courses I play. I’ve had some low rounds with only a few fairways hit but hit 9+ greens or barely missed the green and still get par.

Typically.  Any time you can set yourself up in the fairway, its going to make golf easier.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Just like it is for the Pro's, it depends on the course.  Some courses have quite reasonable rough so bombing and gouging makes sense, as shorter clubs into the green out of shorter rough works well for me.  When I play a course with longer (or wet) rough, being in the fairway further back is a better bet in order to obtain a GIR.  So, my score on a particular day is better when I hit fairways (further back) on courses with dense rough, and my score is better when I bomb it, even into the rough, on courses with shorter (and dry) rough.       

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

I don't care about being in the fairway. No courses around me have rough so penal that it will cost shots. I often say "this isn't the Open" when someone questions my logic. 

All I consider is that wherever my drive lands, do I have an unobstructed second shot at roughly the distance I would expect? So If this is a 400 yard par 4, do I have 150 or less into the green, and can I hit my desired shot shape? If those answers are yes, then it's a good drive and I move on.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have generally seen a better score when my hit fairways and GIR are tracked. It just seems when I have that goal it helps me stay a bit more focused and I seem to have more fun. I shoot in mid MI and trees right off the fairway causes a lot of issues quickly.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I don't care about being in the fairway. No courses around me have rough so penal that it will cost shots. I often say "this isn't the Open" when someone questions my logic. 

All I consider is that wherever my drive lands, do I have an unobstructed second shot at roughly the distance I would expect? So If this is a 400 yard par 4, do I have 150 or less into the green, and can I hit my desired shot shape? If those answers are yes, then it's a good drive and I move on.

Same. My best scores aren't always good FIR days. Maybe because I'm inconsistent. I had a 9-hole round a few weeks ago where I hit 6 of 7 fairways, but because I suck and it was a bad iron day, it did not translate to more greens and better scores. In general, though, I'd say hitting fairways is a good recipe.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

11 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Same. My best scores aren't always good FIR days. Maybe because I'm inconsistent. I had a 9-hole round a few weeks ago where I hit 6 of 7 fairways, but because I suck and it was a bad iron day, it did not translate to more greens and better scores. In general, though, I'd say hitting fairways is a good recipe.

I generally miss one or two fairways a round, and my GIR average is about 5 or 6; I shoot from mid 70's to high 80's with those stats.  Talk about sucking!!  🙄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In Southeast Texas during the summer if you aren’t in the fairway or the first cut you are very likely to end up on some hard pan with little to no grass and ground as hard as concrete.

Being in the fairway becomes extremely important because your chance of getting anywhere near the green off one of those bare lies is almost impossible.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

It's psychological for me. If I am hitting it straight off the tee, I feel a little more auto pilot approaching the green - leading to more room in my brain to focus on scoring lol. So, ya I feel it's important to be hitting fairways off the tee. After all, you don't get too much room for error, left or right with that club.

Edited by nofives

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model.