Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

More fairways = more greens/better scores?

My approach play from fairway or semi-rough is my worse part of my game, especially when I'm over 150yds and out. I'm not the most consistent of ball strikers so spin and control don't necessarily come into my thoughts The semi at my club is short so in a lot of cases the ball sits up making it easier to hit. Looking at my Skycaddie stats over the last 20 rounds I see no correlation in my numbers between FIR and GIR. Currently siting at FIR 59%, GIR 43% 

Recently was fitted for a shorter driver to improve my dispersion but lost 10-15 yds. So got it lengthen, my thought being no use being in the fairway if I'm a couple of clubs longer into the green. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 1 month later...

I see no correlation in my game between hitting more fairways and scoring better. But hitting more greens? Absolutely. If I hit 9+ GIR,  I’m gonna break 80. For me to gain a tangible accuracy increase, I have to club down to 3 iron, so hitting 3 out of 4 fairways comes at a cost of 30-50 yards. Like everyone else, I’m much more accurate with a wedge than a 7 iron; whether it’s in the fairway or rough is of almost no consequence to me. I want to hit my tee shot as far as possible, and give me the shortest approach shot possible.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

At different parts of the year I would have a different answer. During the early spring and late fall when it gets wet, the course grows out the rough more, in that case it is necessary to play for the fairway to have a better chance to hit GIR, during the late spring and summer, more distance=more GIR, the rough is shorter and significantly easier to play from. Biggest thing for me is staying out of the thick rough, fortunately I have been able to score frequently this year from any spot on the course.

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I would want as many fairways as possible. I say that because of the course I play. On a large amount of the holes you need to be in the fairway or even a certain side of the fairway to have a shot at the green. This is because of the layout and trees. We actually have a couple of holes with no rough. Either your in the fairway or in the trees with no shot. Some holes are very narrow as well. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Like @Tom the Golf Nut pointed out....this is highly course dependent!  On my course, missing the fairway by much will put you into tree issues in most cases.  Other courses that I've played, there's limited penalty for missing the fairway other than heavier grass.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

FWIW, regression analysis from my last 141 rounds (I was curious):

• 71% of the variance in my actual scores was explained by FW missed, Greens missed and # of Putts.
  • Standard error was 2 strokes.
  • GIR was the strongest predictor by far, # of putts was second***, FW missed was third predictor.
    • However, *** I count putts only when on the putting surface, if I'm even an inch off the green it's not in my # putts even if I use a putter. My regression and correlation would probably be different if I counted every time I use a putter instead.
    • And if I'm easily in the first cut of rough with a clear shot at the green on my approach, I count is as a FW hit, even though it's technically not. Sometimes I am not aiming for the center of the fairway. And if I've missed the fairway by a couple feet, I don't count that as a miss.

I have no idea if that's representative for anyone other than myself...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 2 months later...

I definitely hit more greens when hitting more fairways, although the difference is only 2 greens per round. Generally if i'm in the fairway I'm going to get more roll and i probably struck it better so i end up with shorter distances into greens as well as the additional distance control that you're going to get with a fairway lie. 

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

• 3 weeks later...

here in Kentucky (and other states I am sure) you better hit the fairway in the spring or kiss it goodbye. Grass grows really fast and thick. I think, the closer to breaking 80 you get, the more important fairways become. I hit about 50% fairways and 20% greens and I am a 12 handicap. Moving up to the "proper" tees has not helped. My iron/hybrid game just sucks. BUT! This year is going to be different! (says the 70yr old who has been playing 58 years)  best I ever played to was a 7 handicap when I was in my 50's. I was using wilson $9 per dozen balls and drove the ball about 250. At that time I hit 60% fairways and 50% greens. So, for me, I need to hit more greens.

Driver        Ping G430

Fairway      Ping G400

Hybrid       Ping G400    

Irons          Mizuno 921

wedges      Titlest Vokey

Putter         ER8

... The Golf Gods giveth and they taketh away. After spending an entire year in Phoenix it has been a Tale Of Two Courses as winter produces light rough of dormant Bermuda that runs faster and longer than most fairways. It can set me up for short approach shots from better angles than the fairway. Flip side is slightly off line in the rough and the ball can run into the rocky, scraggly, bushy desert. So as long as I keep the ball in play, the brown rough and fairway are equal for scoring and some rough is even better than the fairway hitting a speed slot and gaining distance and/or giving me a better angle to the pin. 

... Conversely late spring and summer in the desert produces over watered fairways with thicker green rough so not only is the there little to no roll on the fairway or the rough, the thicker rough can force me to take a shorter club and just get the ball back in position. So hitting the fairway becomes much more desirable in the "off season". The desert also has some strategically placed trees but they are more the exception. Playing in the Midwest is a completely different experience. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 8/11/2021 at 9:16 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

We see frequently people wanting to improve their fairway hits percentage. Nothing wrong with that as usually being in the fairway gives a good lie and usually a good stance on most courses which in theory makes it easier to hit a good shot.

The question is when you hit more fairways does it increase your GIR that day? Do you score better with more fairways hit on that day?

Me personally I don’t worry that much about fairways hit, hitting more greens for me is more important. I can miss a fairway and be in the first cut and still have a chance to get on the green on most of the courses I play. I’ve had some low rounds with only a few fairways hit but hit 9+ greens or barely missed the green and still get par.

I don't have personal stats on whether FW hit % impact my GIR%.   There must be tour data that can be dug up to answer that question at professional level.  I'd imagine that there is good correlation between FW hit % and GIR %.   Poster is saying that being in the rough (as long as not in the woods or blocked out) is not much of an issue for him (on course he plays).

For me hitting FW is important.  I play on public tracks.  while the rough is not long and most of the time it's not much of an issue, good portion of the "rough" is bare dirt. aka extremely tight lie.  I don't like hitting from dirt.   If the rough is lush and short, sure no problem.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

2 hours ago, pakman92 said:

There must be tour data that can be dug up to answer that question at professional level.  I'd imagine that there is good correlation between FW hit % and GIR %.   Poster is saying that being in the rough (as long as not in the woods or blocked out) is not much of an issue for him (on course he plays).

Follow Lou Stagner on twitter and you will see these types of stats regularly.   But generally distance trumps lie so the farther you hit it the better.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG