TESTERS WANTED! ×

Finding Fairways?

thefullmonte

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Maybe I am misreading but you originally said the shaft is fine tuning and the head controls launch.  But now you said the shaft could make significant changes in numbers.   Not trying to argue,  I think it is simply better to say that if you are getting really bad launch numbers with a shaft/head combo it might be easier to find a different head.  Of all the 3 woods in the fairway testing it only happened with 1 club head where we struggled this much to find a stock shaft that worked well.  Most were as you indicated fine tuning 

Not saying the shaft will make any significant impact. The golfer alone is responsible for that. It a shaft whether weight, feel, stiffness or any combo of them causes the golfer to change their swing that will influence how the golfer delivers the club thus how the club makes contact with the ball.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not saying the shaft will make any significant impact. The golfer alone is responsible for that. It a shaft whether weight, feel, stiffness or any combo of them causes the golfer to change their swing that will influence how the golfer delivers the club thus how the club makes contact with the ball.

i think sometimes we talk literally if the shaft makes a big difference or not (i.e. if you put two different shafts on the same head with a robot) vs. the shaft makes a big difference in context of the end results of when i swing a club with two different shafts, which takes into account that i as the golfer may deliver the club in some different way with a particular shaft. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Here’s Matt from TXG using the ventus velocore vs non velocore. Two very different shafts and the non velocore would be what pretty much everybody considers not a shaft that would be recommended for him.

The shafts didn’t cause him to alter his swing and produced nearly identical numbers.

Had he somehow had to slow down his swing or make a move to get the shaft to the ball in a different way then the numbers very likely would be quite different 

09DCA49E-E4AC-4F54-89DB-8806770558AD.png

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

i think sometimes we talk literally if the shaft makes a big difference or not (i.e. if you put two different shafts on the same head with a robot) vs. the shaft makes a big difference in context of the end results of when i swing a club with two different shafts, which takes into account that i as the golfer may deliver the club in some different way with a particular shaft. 

In simple terms a low/low shaft will not or launch significantly different from a high/high.

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Here’s Matt from TXG using the ventus velocore vs non velocore. Two very different shafts and the non velocore would be what pretty much everybody considers not a shaft that would be recommended for him.

The shafts didn’t cause him to alter his swing and produced nearly identical numbers.

Had he somehow had to slow down his swing or make a move to get the shaft to the ball in a different way then the numbers very likely would be quite different 

Although it shifted dispersion  and shape. As well, I know they filter out data. We don’t know what his bad shots on each looked like. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Haven't watched that video for a long time, but I thought i remember him hitting some hooks with the non-Velocore (more than normal for him)

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

For what it's worth. I too was interested in hitting more fairways and didn't care as much about distance. During my fitting I hit a ton of different combos and the one that worked for me was the Ping 425LST with the KBS TD60 shaft. My FIR has increased significantly.

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

On another site there was a long series of posts with multiple folks testing a single driver.  The shaft data was pretty eye opening.  Specifically the variety of shafts that were used to optimize the club for like 10-12 different folks.

in unrelated news…I spent about 90 minutes last week attempting to get fit for a TSi2 the other day and the results from the indoor track man were insanely frustrating.  I may simply be allergic to indoors.

Then this weekend I go out and have my best round of the summer for FH with my old stick.

maybe the good Lord is telling me to keep gaming it

I’ve always averaged 4-5 FIRs per round. When I was a 20+ handicap, I hit 4-5 fairways a round; I’m now a 4 handicap, and still hit 4-5 fairways a round. What did change is I went from 4-5 GIRs a round, to 11-12 per round.

“Forgiveness” when used as a driver term  is a slippery slope. Not sure any driver is “forgiving” when you hit the ball  all over the face. For my swing, I find forgiveness in a driver to correlate to higher backspin,and shorter distance. In my search, I found the ping g410 LST to be the lowest spinning head I can still control. I then tried 13 different shafts, buying 5. None of the shafts changed my spin numbers, but 2 proved to have significantly smaller dispersion circles. 

What do I take from all this? Don’t do what I did; go see teaching pro who speaks in terms that you can translate into feels/moves. No driver can fix a swing or miss that’s inconsistent.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Quick update to the OP…after a little time on the range with a pro…I’ve got a TSi2 w/ a 75g Tensi White Board on the way.  We didn’t do the full spectrum of shaft testing, just the stock options, so there may be additional room for improvement with this still

on a semi related note…I have suddenly had the best stretch of FH with the old Nike.  This little beotch knows it’s being replaced and is suddenly behaving itself 

1 hour ago, thefullmonte said:

...on a semi related note…I have suddenly had the best stretch of FH with the old Nike.  This little beotch knows it’s being replaced and is suddenly behaving itself 

This happens all the time....they pick up the replacement vibes somehow and self correct.

The flip side also happens....new club performs fantastically for 30 - 45 days and then reverts back to the previous club's performance level.  I think that could be labeled the Completion Backwards Principle for you old fans of The Tubes!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, Kenny B said:

My suggestion (and it's only a suggestion) is before you look at new drivers, find out what your swing flaw is that causes you to miss fairways... and greens I might add when you only hit 21% of them.  If you are back from shoulder surgery, I can assure you that your swing is different, and you may be introducing compensations.  That could lead to more issues down the road.  The driver you have may be just fine once you figure out your swing.

I tend to agree. This is the golden age of drivers. If you can't hit these straight it's not the driver.  At least not the head, the shaft is more important nowadays. And unless you're totally misfit in the shaft you should still be able to keep it in play.  All the heads are extremely forgiving.

Edited by garyt1957

In this age of the 460cc driver, we tend to talk about the forgiveness of the huge head, but there are other considerations some might find problematic. 

First, we need to tee the ball so high that it's equivalent to having a ball-above-feet sidehill lie on the tee.

Second, many of us have to play the big driver more forward in our stance than we're comfortable doing.

Third, due to compensation for the long, 45"+  shaft drooping during the swing, the modern drivers are extra upright, meaning we have to get used to the toe being a little up at address.

Fourth, between the driver and the modern ball, the drive will likely be longer.  The same angle of deviation that has you on the fairway at 235 yards may have you in the rough at 250.  Or in the woods at 265.

My big driver is, off the top of my head, about six years old. 

In order to find one that I could hit reasonably straight,

I went all the way up to 14º in loft and kept the shaft at 44".   And on tight, scary driving holes, I still go to the driving iron.

All that notwithstanding, most players are still appreciative of the modern driver I would think.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 8/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, KapTx86 said:

For $9 ..... Thats right, less than a happy meal you can have access to the database from MGS at www.truegolffit.com... Well that is what I paid.  It will give you 2 club choices based on insane amounts of data.  That is a great place to start.  I bought a hogan GS53 Max.....

PS - guess what ... I got fat during rona and I need to go get a lesson to dial it in.... its not the hammer its the carpenter. 

Summation:  www.truegolffit.com and a lesson

I will say I did true golf fit and was surprised by the results, I didn't go with what they recommended (Mizuno St-x and TSi4) but they were on to something, I needed a significantly low spin driver and ended up with the G425 LST. So all in all I second using truegolffit.com

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Did a couple range sessions, but today was the first round on the course with the new TSi2

Very small sample size, but it was my best fairway hit of the year. (64%)

the more noticeable thing was the lack of BIG misses.  Only two of my misses were really bad.  (One Hook, one slice)  the rest all gave me a really good chance to hit GIR.

18 holes isn’t much of a sample size, but that was a great first start

On 9/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, thefullmonte said:

Did a couple range sessions, but today was the first round on the course with the new TSi2

Very small sample size, but it was my best fairway hit of the year. (64%)

the more noticeable thing was the lack of BIG misses.  Only two of my misses were really bad.  (One Hook, one slice)  the rest all gave me a really good chance to hit GIR.

18 holes isn’t much of a sample size, but that was a great first start

This is me when I had a lesson and when I upgraded to my Mavrik, most of my misses are right off the fairway and I get much more consistent distance. The best part was after the lesson I can usually nail down what my mistake/miss was and what I need to do to correct it.

10 hours ago, Londo said:

This is me when I had a lesson and when I upgraded to my Mavrik, most of my misses are right off the fairway and I get much more consistent distance. The best part was after the lesson I can usually nail down what my mistake/miss was and what I need to do to correct it.

Two more rounds in, and this driver has been absolutely fantastic.  Last round I had a lower than average FH%….but there was only 1 shot off the fairway, in the rough, by more than 5-6 feet.

It’s been exactly what I was looking for in upgrading my driver.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, Londo said:

Let me know if you and the Mavrik ever get to the East side of Iowa @Londo !!!

Love to tee it up!  Go Hawks!

8 hours ago, thefullmonte said:

Let me know if you and the Mavrik ever get to the East side of Iowa @Londo !!!

Love to tee it up!  Go Hawks!

Hahaha, I’ll be sure to do that. Great win last weekend, you guys have a great defense this year. I usually make it back a few times a year but most of those are trips to Ames (; Going to see if I’m able to stop at Veenker when I’m there in 6 weeks if there isn’t already snow on the ground!

5 hours ago, Londo said:

Hahaha, I’ll be sure to do that. Great win last weekend, you guys have a great defense this year. I usually make it back a few times a year but most of those are trips to Ames (; Going to see if I’m able to stop at Veenker when I’m there in 6 weeks if there isn’t already snow on the ground!

Thanks my friend.  That D of ya’lls is something as well

you heading to Vegas this weekend?

Shorter shaft and more loft is usually the "equipment-side" answer to missing fewer fairways.

Most players don't seem to want to hear it, however, so the "p" word, practice, enters the equation.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

8 hours ago, thefullmonte said:

Thanks my friend.  That D of ya’lls is something as well

you heading to Vegas this weekend?

Looks like a party but decided to save my money. Started doing the math on the trip and more than I was willing to spend-also wouldn't be able to stay long as we have a 6 month old and I like being married haha