Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Successful “Swing-Thought”

I also apologize for the delay of posting in this thread. I’ve had a very sick two year old at Home to take care of. He’s finally feeling better, and right back to working on his swing. 

Here is a prime example of “Laser-Butt”.  😁

4FE2D6C8-093A-4CF7-A784-71D20C45D534.jpeg

Papa-Bear was Here. 

On 8/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, Riverboat said:

I check when setting up that my grip is light and that there is absolutely no tension in my arms. Then smooth tempo is the only thing I think about when actually swinging. Anything more leads to paralysis through analysis. I really wonder what horrible things people are doing to themselves and their game when they stand over the ball for more than a second or two before taking the club back. 

“Paralysis by Analysis” is currently my new favorite thing to say now. 

Papa-Bear was Here. 

For a non-technical thought, I like Penick's "Take Dead Aim."

For a technical thought, at least for full swing, I like "Make the follow through twice as long as the backswing." Makes me really accelerate through the shot, and produces a reliable power fade for me.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

After taking a breath and when I am expelling it, i say to myself,.... Mary had a little lamb....  As soon as I say lamb that is my trigger to start my swing. Helps clear your head of swing thoughts so you can focus on hitting your target.

Really helps declutter your mind and to silence all the voices .......   Steve

Edited by [email protected]

On 8/12/2021 at 8:12 AM, russtopherb said:

So much this.

I always think about my target and ballflight in the swing. With my irons, if I've done everything correct in setup and takeaway, when I get to the top of the swing I get a feeling like I want to swing through the ball, smashing it with my right palm on the way through. It's not something I consciously think about, it's something my body feels in reaction to doing everything before the downswing correctly.

That is what I DO consciously think about after my left shoulder is behind the ball. Right palm going through ! That is my only thought in putting as well. Maybe it is consciously aware after my body feels in reaction to doing everything before correctly ? Very similar to you ! 

OldGuyGolf

A few years ago, in one of the monthly print magazines, a pro golfer said, you can boil it all down to 2 words:  rotate, and finish.  That's it.  Rotate around the spine (and thus maintain proper angles and geometries and all that stuff) and always remember to finish, meaning for me mostly to spin the right foot.  Rotate and finish. Ba-boom.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Do yourself a favor and look at Stack and Tilt. Nick Taylor and/or Rob Cheney You Tube videos are a great place to go. I did and did a few practice sessions with the method and started flushing shots, picked up 20 yards off the tee and full club longer with every iron. Am so comfortable with it that all I have to remember now is to set up with my weight left and keep it there. Everything else now happens automatically. Shot 73 recently and am 81 years old. Check these guys out on You Tube. You’ll be glad you did. It will change your golfing life. 

I have had just one swing thought for the past three or so years. Since I have a tendency to take the club outside, my swing thought is COLLAPSE RIGHT ELBOW, TURN. The collapsing of right elbow ensures my club takeaway is straight back and the “turn” reminder helps me complete my backswing and slows the transition. We all have some tendencies that hurt our game. So I believe the thought (and I believe in only one thought) should be to address those bad tendencies. I have also been putting my club against my hips prior to every shot to check my alignment as that has also been a bad tendency if mine. But that isn’t a swing thought, but rather a pre-swing practice. I’m a quick player but find these work for me. Good luck!

7 hours ago, Golfdad12 said:

Do yourself a favor and look at Stack and Tilt. Nick Taylor and/or Rob Cheney You Tube videos are a great place to go. I did and did a few practice sessions with the method and started flushing shots, picked up 20 yards off the tee and full club longer with every iron. Am so comfortable with it that all I have to remember now is to set up with my weight left and keep it there. Everything else now happens automatically. Shot 73 recently and am 81 years old. Check these guys out on You Tube. You’ll be glad you did. It will change your golfing life. 

You may have possibly just done that for me Amigo. 

Papa-Bear was Here. 

That the bck of my left hand and the palm of my right hand are pointing at the target at impact.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

For me its been right elbow/forearm stay parallel to ground on takeaway and then swing to my target. Keep in mind, I'm a left hand golfer so that would be the left arm for all you normal folks.

I really buy in to the small targets when picking spots.  So much so that I will try to pick a certain section of a tree in the distance rather than just the whole tree.  The smaller the target, the better for me.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

My swing thought is an image.

A draw image so I visualize hitting a draw shot to the target before every swing.

Everything is draw based on that image inside path, face with early squaring at the top and so on. The AMG left wrist early squaring, closing or face rotation is done at the top has helped allot. By contrast coming inside and waiting to square is too late to time consistently.

Matt Jones is a draw player and has a great step-drill practice swing before each shot and I’ve incorporated into my routine. Adam Scott has an interesting practice routine in that on the range he tries to fade it and then on the course when he plays he tries to draw the ball. Everything follows the image/target I’m trying to hit with a draw more or less.

My full swing got really off line, so I've been working with a pro to get it back on plane. So my swing thought right now is "down the line" or "finish at the target". In the short game, I tell myself to just "hit a good one". I'm only gonna get in trouble when I try to get cute and hit the perfect shot, so I need to avoid temptation.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I read a Freddy Couples swing thought which has always worked for me. "From the top of the swing, get your right hand to your left shoulder as fast as possible".

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 8/15/2021 at 7:47 PM, Haro said:

Today I had “putting thought”   I “locked “ my knees so my knees are extended  throughout the stroke   This seem to keep my stroke a lot smother  and I made more long putts.  The con was my back hurted as it seem I locked my lower body and my motion was all upper body    Likely torque my back. I m not sure but I think my hips moved during my putting stroke and this “locking” keeps the lower body still 

Just further to this thought for extremely long /slow putts if I bend at the waist and tap my putter    The butt end of the putter is pointing to my belly and just move on one piece I feel really confident with my distance control.