Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cocking wrists in backswing

I'm going to try cocking my wrists during my backswing, about when my arms go past parallel to the ground but I'm wondering do you gradually cock your wrists or is it something which insts tly happens? Eg for full swings should your wrists be more cocked than for 3\4 swings?

Either way works but the disadvantage for setting late especially past lead arm parallel is most people end up overswinging and the club rebounds in the hands and thus leads to casting, improvement wrist movements in transition, body having to stall to let the club catch up.

The weight of the club should be what help sets the wrist as the golfer moves from where then butt if the club and hands are at or just past the thigh in a one piece takeaway and are pretty much set at club parallel or between club parallel to the ground, from this point it’s just finishing the turn with some elbow bend from about 120* to 90* if measured on a 3d system. If using more of a fluid non one piece takeaway like Monte teaches then the wrists are starting to set as the club is moving away from the ball but are also fully set around shaft parallel and it’s forearm rotation from this point to lead arm parallel.

If not in a good position at shaft parallel you won’t be in one at lead arm parallel. If you aren’t in a good position and ready to hit the ball from lead arm parallel you won’t be in the last move to the top and into the downswing. Everything will be a compensation and inefficient for making good contact and hitting a good shot

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@TimmytoeI read your posts and you are asking all these position type questions. The positions are a result of doing the proper sequencing and not just something the you try to establish. If you really want help, post a video of your swing and what you are trying to fix. 

as for wrist cock, I don’t think you should actively try to cock the wrist.  Often people cup their wrist thinking they care cocking the wrist.  Doing it incorrectly will impact ball flight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Got any pics or videos of face on and down the line?  Proper grip & set up position are a good place to start.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Timmy Toes - if you have not had a lesson recently it may be time.  As my two esteemed poster friends have noted it's all a reaction and it starts with grip and set up.  If there's a fault with your grip or your posture and you then try to correct or change something in your swing things will spiral into a series of inefficient fixes.  If you are athletic and instinctive enough you might get away with it but eventual the house will tumble and fall.

You've got to start with the grip, once you're certain that's right, posture, alignment, etc.  Once that's right - take away - once that's right chances are very good that everything else will fall into place - proper grip, stance and take away allows the weight of the club to do the work for you.  

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Either way works but the disadvantage for setting late especially past lead arm parallel is most people end up overswinging and the club rebounds in the hands and thus leads to casting, improvement wrist movements in transition, body having to stall to let the club catch up.

The weight of the club should be what help sets the wrist as the golfer moves from where then butt if the club and hands are at or just past the thigh in a one piece takeaway and are pretty much set at club parallel or between club parallel to the ground, from this point it’s just finishing the turn with some elbow bend from about 120* to 90* if measured on a 3d system. If using more of a fluid non one piece takeaway like Monte teaches then the wrists are starting to set as the club is moving away from the ball but are also fully set around shaft parallel and it’s forearm rotation from this point to lead arm parallel.

If not in a good position at shaft parallel you won’t be in one at lead arm parallel. If you aren’t in a good position and ready to hit the ball from lead arm parallel you won’t be in the last move to the top and into the downswing. Everything will be a compensation and inefficient for making good contact and hitting a good shot

Very true.  This has been my problem for years; my wrists are very weak from an injury many years ago.  In an effort to get more speed as I aged, I went to lighter shafts with lousy results.  The lighter the club, the less my wrists set; I just don't feel the weight of the club.  When I started the PlaneMate protocols, the one-piece takeaway helped with sequencing, but I don't get my wrists set.  Monte's takeaway gets my wrists set (as much as possible) earlier, and I have more club head speed.  So, lately I have been using the PlaneMate with Monte's takeaway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Monte's takeaway gets my wrists set (as much as possible) earlier, and I have more club head speed.  So, lately I have been using the PlaneMate with Monte's takeaway.

What I like about Monte’s philosophy on the wrist in both the NTC video and his efficient swing is preset the wrist to get a feel for how they are supposed to work so that when you take the swing they will move into the right positions via the weight of the club.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What I like about Monte’s philosophy on the wrist in both the NTC video and his efficient swing is preset the wrist to get a feel for how they are supposed to work so that when you take the swing they will move into the right positions via the weight of the club.

I asked Monte about the one-piece takeaway in an Instagram message.  Here's his response:  

"One piece takeaway is trash and another awful cliche."

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I asked Monte about the one-piece takeaway in an Instagram message.  Here's his response:  

"One piece takeaway is trash and another awful cliche."

Yeah I’ve seen him mention that before. Iirc he doesn’t quite call it trash in the efficient swing video but alludes to his dislike for it just like he isn’t a fan of the neutral,strong, weak grip thoughts out there. What I find interesting is despite having somewhat different takes on parts of the swing from GG and even what AMG teaches they all share the thought of there’s an acceptable range of things/positions in the swing and not it has to be exactly this or that.

Can't really add much more to the above posters who all wrote very knowledgable stuff. If your grip or hand pressure is off, setting your wrists in the backswing isn't going to work out. My pro wanted me to feel "thumbs to the sky by waist high" and that aligns with a lot of what pros like Monte prefer (one of many reasons I like his thoughts and videos). 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Just happens for me.  What helps me was video my swing get feedback from a pro 

If you look at yourself sometimes things you think you are doing you aren’t and the things you think doing you can see isn’t really what you are doing on video 

my problem was my left arm was “weak” position and I was forcing a full swing and looked obvious on video  I had strengthened my hold on the club   with my left arm This Made my release automatically and also mechanical sound and more powerful and less painful for my left hand  

Edited by Haro
3 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Got any pics or videos of face on and down the line?  Proper grip & set up position are a good place to start.

Here's a side video Where I'm trying to incorporate it 

https://gfycat.com/WhiteQuaintEgg

I'm trying to get a swing something like this first swing 

the camera is lower than normal

Edited by Timmytoe
6 minutes ago, Timmytoe said:

OK. Why?

9 minutes ago, Timmytoe said:

Here's a side video Where I'm trying to incorporate it 

https://gfycat.com/WhiteQuaintEgg

the camera is lower than normal

Your grip is the first major issue that needs to be fixed. The second is your hands with an iron are too far out in front of you. Fix those before you worry about anything else you posted on positioning or how to do something.

Some suggestions study the Ben Hogan book more on how to grip the club and setup and work on that over and over. Google athletic motion golf grip and setup. Watch those videos and work on that over and over. Lastly if you don’t prefer those options find an instructor online. Some good ones do them for less than $60

3 minutes ago, Timmytoe said:

I like his swing so thought I'd try replicating it

Liking a swing, and it being the best swing for you, are two very different things. 

31 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Liking a swing, and it being the best swing for you, are two very different things. 

Not to mention that Bryson’s swing in that video is a draw and the op has been using Ben Hogan swing philosophy which is an anti hook swing.

Way to many moving parts and combining two different swings to try and teach oneself a swing. 

2 hours ago, Timmytoe said:

I like his swing so thought I'd try replicating it

Okay, so let’s looks at wrist cock.   I think your wrist cock is fine in the gif you posted. If you want to copy the swing the you need to learn the entire swing philosophy and not just specific parts or body position starting with grip and setup.  Also find an instructor or material that teaches that swing method. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG