Are OEM's beginning to shoot themselves in the foot with MSRPs?

caeye0710

On 9/24/2021 at 1:48 PM, Riverboat said:

Seems to me that for every golfer with some common sense trying to keep costs down, I meet two or three others who can't wait to brag about how much they dropped on their latest toy or set of toys. As long as this is the attitude of so many golfers, there will be no reason for companies to worry about jacking up prices. Americans love conspicuous consumption and showing off their status symbols. 

I agree with this. Most of my buddies ended up buying Epic woods and Steelhead irons to replace their then current clubs. They tried mine and buying from Callaway preowned was so simple. We have one buddy who is left handed and has to have the newest clubs. He restrains himself from buying until they are are on the preowned site, but rapid trade ins and purchases seem to happen every month. He can't wait to tell everyone of his newest deal. Long term, he has probably spent 3 or 4 times what the rest of us have invested. Another had to have PXG. Even with the military discount, he spent more than I will in 5 years.

But, everyone is happy. I'm happy because the clubs perform when I do. They are happy because they perceive a difference every time they invest in new equipment. 

On 8/12/2021 at 8:59 AM, caeye0710 said:

Back to the topic: Are we getting to a point where it's going to eventually be too expensive to get the latest and greatest equipment? In 2004, Drivers hit a $500 MSRP for the first time (TM R7, Titleist 905 Series, etc.). The R7 was the first driver to be listed at $500 (I think) and I recall people throwing a fit. Titleist quickly followed suit on the 905 series, although I specifically remember our Titleist rep at my club back then mentioned that the initial MSRP was going to be $409 until TM came to market and announced the R7 at a higher price point.

I'm late to this party, but what else is new?  LOL

The first $500 driver was Callaway's Great Big Bertha, in 1995.  The next year, Ram debuted a $1,000 driver.  Which didn't do especially well.  Could have been the death knell for the company.

Golf club prices have been going up, and in the COVID World Order for golf, used equipment prices have gone up quite a bit as well.  One of the interesting side effects of this upward trend in pricing is an increase in the viability of the component world.  For years, the flood of used gear had folks pulling back from components, instead buying any number of models from the preceding few years.  

Time will tell if this trend continues.

It's also opened up the market for the DTC concept.  The new (again) Hogan, Sub70, New Level, Haywood, and who knows how many others, are climbing in to that niche.

Again, time will tell.  <shrug>

A couple of posts have made mention of the CPI Inflation Calculator.  I'll add another example....  a set of late 60s MacGregor VIPs, run thru the Inflation calculator, would cost somewhere in the $1600+ range in today's dollars.

I admit it doesn't make me jump at the chance for a set of new Pings with Steelfibers.  LOL

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft