TESTERS WANTED! ×

Kelly Plantation Destin

Ben_Howell34

22 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I am headed to Destin next week and since I have two small kids I have to play close to where we stay (Tops'l - Miramar). As such, Windswept is off the table. I typically play at Baytowne since it is across the street. I am finally going to test the waters at the Links of Sandestin. I always look at it on Google Earth and decide it looks WAY too tight off the tee but I am going to bite the bullet and play out there this time. I have played all the Destin courses and this time I just playing some of the less expensive courses so it is going to be Links, Baytowne and Emerald Bay. I have a soft spot for Emerald Bay because I lit it up one time (made 6 birdies out there) and so I ignore a lot of its short comings (pace of play out there is typically awful). Baytowne is fine, nothing exceptional but I always enjoy it. So the Links is really the wildcard. I legitimately may not hit Driver once out there...it just doesn't seem worth it. The 18th hole at the Links also looks incredibly intimidating. I mean...there is no where to miss on your approach. It is like a golf designed in a lab to be insanely penal. Check this out:

image.png.eac9dc9bbf594023f18358fac7abfc47.png

Only reason I didn’t play in Destin/Sandestin area this past week was that a lot of the courses just went through punching the greens and I didn’t want to pinball my way to the hole. Not sure if Links of Sandestin did or not, can’t remember seeing it on the website.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Just now, Mtbryant01 said:

Not sure if Links of Sandestin did or not, can’t remember seeing it on the website

They did. Next week is the last week of "post-aerification" pricing so I can see how bad it is. I would imagine since it is bermuda and several weeks out from aerification it shouldn't be too bad. At $55 for 18 holes that is a pretty good deal for Destin. Again, I am mostly worried about all the trouble that exists on Links in the form of water and close set houses. 

@Mtbryant01have you ever played Links before? If so, is it painfully tight like it looks?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

13 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I am headed to Destin next week and since I have two small kids I have to play close to where we stay (Tops'l - Miramar). As such, Windswept is off the table. I typically play at Baytowne since it is across the street. I am finally going to test the waters at the Links of Sandestin. I always look at it on Google Earth and decide it looks WAY too tight off the tee but I am going to bite the bullet and play out there this time. I have played all the Destin courses and this time I just playing some of the less expensive courses so it is going to be Links, Baytowne and Emerald Bay. I have a soft spot for Emerald Bay because I lit it up one time (made 6 birdies out there) and so I ignore a lot of its short comings (pace of play out there is typically awful). Baytowne is fine, nothing exceptional but I always enjoy it. So the Links is really the wildcard. I legitimately may not hit Driver once out there...it just doesn't seem worth it. The 18th hole at the Links also looks incredibly intimidating. I mean...there is no where to miss on your approach. It is like a golf designed in a lab to be insanely penal. Check this out:

image.png.eac9dc9bbf594023f18358fac7abfc47.png

The Links is the course I grew up playing at the beach.  I prefer Baytowne basically every time but to save some money The Links is a nice course, it is a tight track but there are a few holes on the Bay Side of the property totally on the water which are really fun to play, probably worth playing for these holes alone.  Its not as well kept up as Baytowne or The Raven but worth a play if you have never done so.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

7 minutes ago, vandyland said:

@Mtbryant01have you ever played Links before? If so, is it painfully tight like it looks?

I have not but looks like a fun challenging track. Take some pics and report back how hard those holes are along the water!

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Played Kelly Plantation several years ago in July, the course was in very good shape. The only problem was the heat & humidity it was so bad the course had staff driving around handing out cold water and towels to make sure no one suffered a heat stroke! If it is in the 90+ degrees hydrate up with water & have a great round of golf! 

I winter in Destin.  There are many very good courses there and Kelly is my favorite.  Roomy fairways and new greens as of 2019.  It is always in very good condition in the winter and I would assume the same now.  Very good range and short game area, as well.  Enjoy yourself.

Bob Rothgeb

Yes. I have played Kelly Plantation.  It’s on the bay so get some nice views. It was in good condition when I played.  Have a good time. 

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

I played Kelly Plantation for the first time on Monday May 9th, 2022 after going to Destin area the last 16 years. I would not pay more that $100 to play there and that is why we played mis afternoon when the rates were cheaper. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The course was in good condition, but you could tell they had recently sodded the tees. Enjoyed the round playing with my sons and brother in law. Glad I finally played Kelly Plantation , but might pick Regatta Bay over Kelly next time. 

Golfnut