Testers Wanted! Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Brick Wall

Look, I’m no pro but I’m a very competitive person. Yesterday was the day I hit a brick wall. I have tee box yips and am prone to topping the ball. I normally over come and have gotten my average score down to 88. Yesterday I exploded. I topped everything. Everything hooked, pulled hooked and topped. Only clubs I hit well was my 52*, 56* and putter (averaged 1.8 putts a hole)  I was so mad and I’m a mental midget in this game. I worked hard to eliminate the hook with swing lessons and was play the best I have ever played and getting better….. but man yesterday I exploded. Had to walk into the woods to get my 5 iron I threw. Ugh. Rough day. I hung the clubs up for the rest of the month. Maybe some time off is needed. Thoughts? Also I’m not against advise to help keep me from boiling over when competing in golf. I’m good at controlling my emotions in other sports but golf has no hustle plays to get a rhythm back 

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

No player shoots the exact score every round; we have a range of scores.  What lessons and practice is supposed to do is lower the floor and ceiling but it won't eliminate the blow up round and those rounds were we feel like we can't hit the ball.  I would suggest you work on your emotion and mentality.  The best golfers are able to control their emotions and deal with the bad shots.    Also, don't throw your clubs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As @cnosil stated every golfer has a range of scores. For example I have shot -1 35 as well as +13 49 this year. Was I mad as all get out at the 49, heck yeah. It felt like I had never played the game before. Just gripping the club felt foreign to me. 

The key for me to help overcome the anger/frustration has been to accept that when the wheels are coming off a 49 is probably coming.  Then I tell myself if i shoot 48 or less I had a decent round and recovered well.  

Sometimes I will even break my round up into 3-hole stretches if I’m having a really bad day. Do whatever you can to take your mind off the score. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I've got a handful of absolute junk balls in my bag.  If I feel myself really frustrated, I'll turn and blast one of them into trees or a field. Obviously location dictates and it may not be possible in the moment.  I've been known to pull out a wedge and flop one into the water; there's something cathartic about that "bloop" sound when I actually meant to do it, LOL.  

Now if I totally mishit one of these shots...that's generally when I crack another beer and just stop keeping score.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter