TESTERS WANTED! ×

Play the "right" way—or ditch the driver?

Man you and i are so similar! my driving game is my worse stat and the positions it leaves me in kill my other stats. i would grind and figure it out since it is valuable. i played the winter with a DI instead of a driver (and couldn't hit 3w well either) and i always had super long approches in, which is not fun to play.  Mark Broadie and his SG analysis say always play the longest club you can within reason of the hole. This is a road many of us struggle with because it is such a different swing than anything else in the bag. Once you find the secret let me know, in the mean time i will grind with you!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I have sort of the opposite problem. Not that I am awesome hitting a driver (just decent), but I fear hitting anything else off the tee. Fairway woods and hybrids have a chance to either be topped or some sort of thin line drive. Even if i hit a 7 iron off the tee, there is a good chance of weak toe push or OB left as a compensation

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Strokes gained has clouded the way we think when we play golf. The idea of hitting it as far as you can is godd, but the second part of it is where you can play your next shot. The gaining of .3 or so strokes is greatly outweighed by the full stroke lost punching out of the woods, or even worse 2 strokes by going OB. So it seems to me the 3w would actually gain strokes for you in a round. 

I go through this all the time.

today. I hit a 3 wood 277.  My drives were going like 223… I switched balls, and lifted up because I was launching lower than I wanted… HUGE mistake.

Henrik Stenson won The Open hitting 3 wood.  I played a whole season without a driver… finally started hitting it well, then decided I needed to change my swing… 🤦🏼‍♂️

The right way is to get the ball in the hole with the least amount of strokes.  If that is using the 3 wood… then it is using the 3 wood… I do have a 12° Callaway Mini Driver I could part with…

Dumped my driver this week.  Least consistent club in my bag....sick of trying to adjust to it.  Brought out the ole aeroburner mini driver (14deg)...don't know why, always hit it pretty consistently.  Consistent contact leads to confidence....SO much more enjoyable!  Also...even if it's a little shorter (and maybe not)....I am not relying on that 1 in 10 chance of really catching it with the driver.  I am just sick of mishits.  

Edited by EEZurg
clarification

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

I played 2 years of JUCO golf without a driver in the bag. I was hitting last in almost every group I played in so I wasn't "losing" per se but Obviously being able to hit the driver would have been a benefit. 

You spend enough time on your game to understand what you need to do to play your best, you also have spent time developing your game.

My question is what is the difference between the two? Do you tee up the 3w? Is the intent different? Have you taken a step back and objectively looked at what is the issue? Take all those with a grain of salt as I don't struggle to hit driver, so I can't really relate it just seems that you hit the 3w very well and the driver shouldn't cause you such pain. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

13 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I played 2 years of JUCO golf without a driver in the bag. I was hitting last in almost every group I played in so I wasn't "losing" per se but Obviously being able to hit the driver would have been a benefit. 

You spend enough time on your game to understand what you need to do to play your best, you also have spent time developing your game.

My question is what is the difference between the two? Do you tee up the 3w? Is the intent different? Have you taken a step back and objectively looked at what is the issue? Take all those with a grain of salt as I don't struggle to hit driver, so I can't really relate it just seems that you hit the 3w very well and the driver shouldn't cause you such pain. 

I don't know this absolute certainty, but my best guess is this: even with a 3w on a tee, I think my AoA is slightly negative. When I tee a ball up for a driver, I think I'm still hitting down on it. Best case scenario, I catch it slightly high on the face, so it launches reasonably well, though with too much spin. All too commonly, I catch it very high off the face of the driver.

48 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The right way is to get the ball in the hole with the least amount of strokes.  If that is using the 3 wood… then it is using the 3 wood… I do have a 12° Callaway Mini Driver I could part with…

Hmmm. Stay tuned here.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I don't know this absolute certainty, but my best guess is this: even with a 3w on a tee, I think my AoA is slightly negative. When I tee a ball up for a driver, I think I'm still hitting down on it. Best case scenario, I catch it slightly high on the face, so it launches reasonably well, though with too much spin. All too commonly, I catch it very high off the face of the driver.

Hmmm. Stay tuned here.

This kinda leads into what I was thinking. Are you fighting your AOA with the driver trying to hit it properly? I think the average on tour is still negative for driver AOA. We try so hard to do it the right way but if we continue to fight our natural tendencies then the struggle will continue. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think the biggest thing people get confused about with driving and SG off the tee is that the stats do not know or care what club you are hitting off the tee box. Sure in theory you should be able to hit the ball further with your driver than a 3W but look at the actual results you are gaming on the day. If your 3W is constantly 240-250 off the tee and your driver is all over the place from 180-280 then you will produce better results with the 3W. Everyone gets so wrapped up in the "hitting it further is better" portion of SG off the tee but what people fail to realize is that also comes with the caveat of keeping it on the planet. You should be trying to hit it as far as possible but not at the deficit of being all over the place hitting it OB and into hazards. On days like this one I would shelf the driver for the round then take it out on the range and put some serious work into getting it sorted. If you can't get it sorted on your own then go take a lesson to get pointed in the right direction. The choice to not play driver ever again would be missing out on additional yardage and ultimately hurt your game but smacking it 220 yards into the woods certainly isn't helping either. 

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So what would you do: keep grinding on the driver, or switch to making the 3w your main tee club?

If your goal is to score lower on average then you will need to put some work in at the range or take a lesson to get the driver sorted. In the mean time use the 3W off the tee, plenty of people get around just fine "only" hitting their driver 240 yards. 

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

I don't know how to hit driver. My driving fails the eye test. And even more, it fails the Arccos data test (Driving is almost always my worst SG category for every round, and I'd contend that a good chunk of my negative numbers in SG:Approach are from recovery shots from bad drives).

At the end of my last 18 yesterday, I decided I was done fighting it. The last three holes, I hit my Mavrik SZ off the tee. On each hole, I was either on the fairway or just right, with a tight draw, about 240–250 yards. The first two holes, my positioning was not ideal; slightly obstructed by trees down the right. The final hole, I couldn't have placed my tee shot any better (though I proceeded to blade a SW 130 over the green, missing a seven-foot putt that would have been for an up-and-down).

I was 1-over for the three holes.

3ws.jpg

Contrast this with my driver performance during this round before I switched to 3w:

• 184: snap hook into trees
  • 249: in the fairway
  • 268: best strike of the day, but failed to note the shortness of the dogleg; ran through the fairway into major tree trouble
  • 183: high on the face
  • 125: full skyball
  • 223: high toe, through the trees
  • 219: thin but safe
  • 236: fine
  • 241: way right in the trees
  • 172: even way righter over the woods

I really, really struggle to hit the ball off a tee.

With so many other aspects of the game, playing the "right" way is something of a fool's errand. Whether it's hitting a specific shape shot or having your swing look a certain way, chasing method over results normally indicates odd priorities in golf.

But here, I'm torn. If I could just keep hitting 245-yard tight draws into the fairway with my 3w, my driving stats (and my scoring) would likely improve by 3-4 strokes per 18. But this decision isn't one of aesthetics: if I could figure out how to hit a driver, I don't think it's crazy to think it would be worth an extra 15-25 yards over my 3w on each hole. I'm objectively giving something up by not hitting driver.

So what would you do: keep grinding on the driver, or switch to making the 3w your main tee club?

Been there; done that.  When I started playing, I could not hit my driver.  Shot 63 on average for 9 hole league.  At the 3-club tournament using a 5i, 9i, and putter, I shot 45.  But that was not how I wanted to play.  Now my driver is one of my favorite clubs; wish my swing speed was what it was 25 years ago!! 

To score the best right now, you have to play to the fairway... whatever club that is.  Granted, your 3W can get out there far enough on most holes, but the driver can give you approach shots with shorter clubs which should lead to lower scores.  

However, instead of grinding on the driver, figure out what your swing issue is.  Chances are it's a similar problem as the swing that bladed the SW over the green or other mishits you have on the course.  Lowest scores come from getting the ball closest to the green... in play... and that should be the driver.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Unless you're playing an awfully long course sick with the 3 wood until you have confidence in the driver. Hitting it 240-250 and in play should be able to get you around any course from the middle tees.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Short term solution, play the 3w.  You have a better chance of being reasonably long and in play.

Long term solution, figure out how to hit the driver.  The extra yardage to have in your back pocket will do nothing but help.  

If you decide to play 3w and you are having trouble with most approaches being too long, just move up a tee box and have fun.

Also on a quick side note...If your good shots are slightly high on the face, and your bad shots are really high on the face, have you tried teeing it lower?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Best case scenario, I catch it slightly high on the face, so it launches reasonably well, though with too much spin. All too commonly, I catch it very high off the face of the driver.

It’s spins less high on the face but does launch high. Lower launch and more spin low on the face…but usually ball opens for some because of the added spin.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Strategy off the tee should always be hit the ball as far as you can but avoid "penalty" shots.     Based on your description it sounds like you spend more time in recovery mode when you play the driver and you are relatively successful with the 3w.   The answer is simple when playing use the 3w and work on your driver.   Seems the general guess is that you are hitting down on the ball.  Put a driver cover about a foot in front of a teed up ball and avoid hitting the cover when hitting the driver.   If you hit the cover you have a descending angle of attack/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, TheProfessor02 said:

If your goal is to score lower on average then you will need to put some work in at the range or take a lesson to get the driver sorted. In the mean time use the 3W off the tee, plenty of people get around just fine "only" hitting their driver 240 yards. 

This is issue number one: I have no place to practice hitting drives. The nearest range is an hour away. And my garage ceiling maxes me out at my 4 hybrid. Though I really want to move my net outside and do some practice in my driveway (while hoping dearly not to sky a ball over my garage into a neighbor's house).

1 hour ago, hckymeyer said:

Also on a quick side note...If your good shots are slightly high on the face, and your bad shots are really high on the face, have you tried teeing it lower?

This is a bit of catch-22. I'm teeing it up (not crazy high, but typical driver height) to try to catch it on the upswing. Teeing it lower might keep me from skying a ball, but I suspect it only encourages my tendency to a negative AoA with a driver.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

This is issue number one: I have no place to practice hitting drives. The nearest range is an hour away. And my garage ceiling maxes me out at my 4 hybrid. Though I really want to move my net outside and do some practice in my driveway (while hoping dearly not to sky a ball over my garage into a neighbor's house).

This is a bit of catch-22. I'm teeing it up (not crazy high, but typical driver height) to try to catch it on the upswing. Teeing it lower might keep me from skying a ball, but I suspect it only encourages my tendency to a negative AoA with a driver.

Any corn fields near by?

It worked for Lee Trevino.

As far as the tee height. Im almost positive that my AOA is level or down.  I tee the ball much lower than I used to, just barely sticking up over top of the driver at address.  Hitting the middle of the driver is key, and it moved my strike from high on the face to middle, makes a big difference.

you’ll know right away if it is too low, you’ll likely catch the bottom of the driver, especially if you have a + AOA.

I'd worry more about finding the center of the face first.  Worry about the AoA later as that is going to take a swing change.

FWIW there are plenty of pro's that still have a negative AoA.  Yes we all know that you need to get to positive to really max out your driver distance.  But as long as it's not hugely negative you can absolutely play it and be successful.  

Also please take all this with a HUGE grain of salt.  I don't even know how to manipulate my own swing let alone somebody else's 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

6 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Strokes gained has clouded the way we think when we play golf. The idea of hitting it as far as you can is godd, but the second part of it is where you can play your next shot. The gaining of .3 or so strokes is greatly outweighed by the full stroke lost punching out of the woods, or even worse 2 strokes by going OB. So it seems to me the 3w would actually gain strokes for you in a round. 

I think this is pretty spot on, and most strokes gained gurus would probably tell you that strokes gained really pushes you to hit it far but in order to maximize your strokes gained it has to be IN PLAY and hittable. Strokes gained stats are useless on a lost ball. Play whatever you can play to get it out there as far as you can while still being playable. If that mean sitting the driver for awhile, why not?

How's your ball position? Could something in your setup be a bit off with driver? I am by no means a swing guru but just trying to brainstorm ideas of things you can look at which might be a worse can of worms...

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I will +1 the tee it lower. I find better contact when I don’t try to swing up, but think line drive and let the ball position make me catch on upswing instead of swing for the fences

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

11 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Teeing it lower might keep me from skying a ball, but I suspect it only encourages my tendency to a negative AoA with a driver.

The lower fee height would do that and even more so if you have the ball to far back in your stance. There’s also a diminishing return if teeing too high if you end up catching it low on the face and getting the high spinning ball.

Go back to the fundamentals of grip, setup, stance, ball placement. Use mirror and/or video from face on and down the line. Ball should be off the left armpit and no further back than logo on your shirt. Unlike with irons where arms are hanging under the shoulder the driver will have them slightly out in front.

Do drills with the short green band attached near the grip of the driver like Martin shows in his videos.

11 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

I'd worry more about finding the center of the face first.  Worry about the AoA later as that is going to take a swing change.

FWIW there are plenty of pro's that still have a negative AoA.  Yes we all know that you need to get to positive to really max out your driver distance.  But as long as it's not hugely negative you can absolutely play it and be successful.  

Also please take all this with a HUGE grain of salt.  I don't even know how to manipulate my own swing let alone somebody else's 🙂

Keep in mind that the tour guys with negative aoa aren’t hitting 3-4* down like most ams and don’t have a huge ott or out to in swing and therefore are generating distance losing spin and ball flight that’s a slice rather than a small fade. While working on face contact is a good idea it’s possible to hit center of the face with a negative aoa and ott move. Where if focusing on the swing and controlling the club face is a better approach.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I don't know how to hit driver. My driving fails the eye test. And even more, it fails the Arccos data test (Driving is almost always my worst SG category for every round, and I'd contend that a good chunk of my negative numbers in SG:Approach are from recovery shots from bad drives).

At the end of my last 18 yesterday, I decided I was done fighting it. The last three holes, I hit my Mavrik SZ off the tee. On each hole, I was either on the fairway or just right, with a tight draw, about 240–250 yards. The first two holes, my positioning was not ideal; slightly obstructed by trees down the right. The final hole, I couldn't have placed my tee shot any better (though I proceeded to blade a SW 130 over the green, missing a seven-foot putt that would have been for an up-and-down).

I was 1-over for the three holes.

3ws.jpg

Contrast this with my driver performance during this round before I switched to 3w:

• 184: snap hook into trees
  • 249: in the fairway
  • 268: best strike of the day, but failed to note the shortness of the dogleg; ran through the fairway into major tree trouble
  • 183: high on the face
  • 125: full skyball
  • 223: high toe, through the trees
  • 219: thin but safe
  • 236: fine
  • 241: way right in the trees
  • 172: even way righter over the woods

I really, really struggle to hit the ball off a tee.

With so many other aspects of the game, playing the "right" way is something of a fool's errand. Whether it's hitting a specific shape shot or having your swing look a certain way, chasing method over results normally indicates odd priorities in golf.

But here, I'm torn. If I could just keep hitting 245-yard tight draws into the fairway with my 3w, my driving stats (and my scoring) would likely improve by 3-4 strokes per 18. But this decision isn't one of aesthetics: if I could figure out how to hit a driver, I don't think it's crazy to think it would be worth an extra 15-25 yards over my 3w on each hole. I'm objectively giving something up by not hitting driver.

240-250 average off the tee would get you around a HCP of 0 according to Shot Scope data, seems like a reasonable compromise until you figure out driver. Honestly, anything 220+ and straight will allow you to play good golf on a course up to 6300-6500 yards. 

On the flip side, you only hit 1 drive past 250 and it wasn't even in a position to play to the green and you averaged around 220 ignoring the skyball. So I wouldn't focus on giving up 15-25 because it wasn't there this round or with your current swing.

If you are on the tee box concerned about where driver is going, it's not going to end well very often. You need to commit and let it fly or shelf it. I was in a similar position and then saw that I had 2x the number of penalties off the tee with my 2H than driver from "playing safe". 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

16 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Start with the ball teed up 1" above the ground so that even if you hit down on it that it will strike close to center of the face. Then slowly work up towards 1.5" and possibly 1.75"... Even with negative AoA this should center the strike on the top half of your driver face and may lead to some surprising results and consistency from not trying to alter your swing so severely by swinging up. Should also eliminate issue #2 for practice at home to at least get some reps in. 

An AoA between 0 and -2 struck on the top half of the face will likely have better launch conditions than something off the bottom or heel of the face hit with a +2 AoA

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

17 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I worked on my angle of attack by placing my driver head over slight ahead of where a tee with the ball would be positioned. Try swinging and missing the head cover. If you can it’s a positive angle of attack if you hit the head cover it’s negative to neutral.

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

In addition to the many helpful posts here, there is something else you might want to consider.

I notice in your list of drives/results, you hit an (at least) Ok drive, but was in bad position (thru a dogleg, etc.).  I would suggest instead of automatically pulling driver on the tee, pick a target.  Then decide what club gives me the best chance to hit that target.

Your target might be determined by the hole layout (corner of the dogleg, before or over a cross bunker or creek, wider part of fairway), and also consider where you want to hit your next shot from, what is your best layup.  Is it 150? 125? 100?  What distance will get you there?  Then determine what club I have that I have good confidence to get me there?

Playing a smart strategy might help a lot more than just pulling the big stick and chase it wherever it goes.  That might give you a better perspective on playing "the right way".

Edited by mharr

23 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

On each hole, I was either on the fairway or just right, with a tight draw, about 240–250 yards.

If you can hit your 3-wood consistent 240-250 and your biggest drive was what 265? There is almost no gain to hitting your Driver. If you had 300+ distance on your driver that is a little different. Stick with the 3-wood.

Only thing I can add here is this: What, historically, has been the performance of the 3 wood off the tee? Is this question and change in strategy the result of recency bias?

I went through this last year, only hitting driver on a handful of holes and electing to hit irons or hybrids everywhere else (at 6,100 yards I can get away with it). The reasoning was that I'd rather be 150 away in the fairway than 75 away but blocked out by a tree. Sounds great in theory, and it worked for a bit, but I ended up finding over the entire season that I was just as inaccurate with hybrids and mid-long irons as I was driver. But when I hit a bad shot with the shorter clubs, I was now 150+ out behind trees instead of 75. Not only that, from 150 yards out hitting the green isn't a given either.

Four of your 10 drives were in play and safe. If you took 10 shots with your 3 wood, I'd be curious to see what happens.

Three straight good shots with the 3 wood certainly is something to build off of. Confidence plays such a huge role and if you are instantly more comfortable with the 3 wood in hand, it's probably the better play for now.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I had a somewhat similar situation I would hit 3W off tee really well but driver didn't go well .. so I choked up on the driver a little to simulate my 3W length it helped in the short term during a round I was playing. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag