TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland Introduces Launcher XL Halo Irons

Golfspy_CG2

CLEVELAND GOLF INTRODUCES LAUNCHER XL HALO IRONS

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – Aug. 18, 2021 – Cleveland Golf is proud to announce the all-new Launcher XL HALO Irons, hybrid-style super game improvement irons designed to make the game of golf more fun. The Launcher XL HALO Irons officially launch in North America on Aug. 20, 2021 for graphite irons and Sept. 17, 2021 for steel irons.

“From head to grip, Launcher XL HALO Irons just make golf easier and more fun,” said Brian Schielke, General Manager at Cleveland Golf. “Most of us don’t have much confidence standing 170 yards out with a long iron in hand, and needing to carry a bunker to make the green. But with Launcher XL HALO, you’ll swing easier, feel confident, and be shocked at how forgiving they are. These irons will become your go-to clubs.” 

The foundation of these new irons is the XL Head design, which increases MOI for improved forgiveness and shots that launch high and find their target. In fact, the Launcher XL HALO Irons feature a 17% increase in MOI compared to the previous generation of hybrid-irons.

For faster shots that travel far, we developed a new MainFrame iron face that harnesses the power of Artificial Intelligence to create the optimal club face for these irons. The variable thickness pattern maximizes COR and ball speed to help generate more distance than previous generations.

Launcher XL HALO Irons help develop a better, consistent strike. Gliderails on the long irons deliver excellent turf interaction, while the mid-to-short irons feature our V-Shaped Sole to cut through the turf more effectively for cleaner contact. Meanwhile, a new 8g weight placed inside the end of every grip delivers better balance, control, and a smoother swing without extra effort to help square up the ball at impact.

If precision is what is desired above all else, we’re offering a new Accuracy Build, a custom configuration that is half an inch shorter without counterbalancing to focus on maximum control.

cleveland_launcherxl_hybrid_std-01-1.jpg

Key Innovations Inside the Launcher XL HALO Irons:

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo irons

• XL Head Design: The Launcher XL HALO Irons feature our highest MOI ever in a Cleveland Golf hybrid-iron. It’s maximum distance with maximum fun.
  • Rail to V-Shaped Sole Design: Gliderail in the long irons gradually transitions to a V-Shaped sole in the short irons and ultimately, a three-tiered sole on the Dual and Sand wedges.
  • MainFrame: Designed using Artificial Intelligence, MainFrame variable face technology increases ball speed while unique weight pad designs ensure maximum forgiveness across the face.
  • Action Mass CB: An 8g weight placed inside the end of the grip delivers better balance for more control without extra effort.
  • HiBore Crown Step: The stepped crown shape brings the height of the crown down, dropping the center of gravity and raising your launch in the process.
  • Loft Specific Grooves: The 4i-7i lofts have wider, flatter grooves, while the 8i-SW lofts have closely-spaced, deeper, and higher spinning wedge grooves.

Retail Information and Pricing

Pricing: 7-piece graphite set ($899.99); 7-piece steel set ($799.99)

U.S. Retail Launch Date: August 20, 2021 (Graphite), September 17, 2021 (Steel)

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If you can get past the looks, the HB launcher line is actually pretty fun and easy to hit. Especially if you're normally someone who struggles getting the ball in the air. 

I went with the CBX Launchers just because I did like the looks and feel a bit better, but the HBs from that year were really nice and low effort to high yield. And I've used my friend's clubs out of the rough and there's something to be said about that extra head weight powering through rough.

Unfortunately, they also turned me off of my local PGA superstore. The guy who was helping me off handedly said that anyone using the HB launchers is not a real golfer and shouldn't be ok the course. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

21 minutes ago, MNUte said:

If you can get past the looks, the HB launcher line is actually pretty fun and easy to hit. Especially if you're normally someone who struggles getting the ball in the air. 

I went with the CBX Launchers just because I did like the looks and feel a bit better, but the HBs from that year were really nice and low effort to high yield. And I've used my friend's clubs out of the rough and there's something to be said about that extra head weight powering through rough.

Unfortunately, they also turned me off of my local PGA superstore. The guy who was helping me off handedly said that anyone using the HB launchers is not a real golfer and shouldn't be ok the course. 

I for one absolutely love the looks. These things scream "confidence" to a 17 hdcp like me. I also really appreciate the graduated sole design as someone who misses fat far more than thin, I think that's a strong idea. Based on @GolfSpy Barbajo's writeup with how well received the previous two iterations were in testing, I think these will be VERY strong performers. Especially if the distance creeps up while the forgiveness stays the same.

That guy at PGA Superstore is a clown. He should talk to someone like @Wedgie who really dropped his handicap with this line of irons.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I for one absolutely love the looks. These things scream "confidence" to a 17 hdcp like me. I also really appreciate the graduated sole design as someone who misses fat far more than thin, I think that's a strong idea. Based on @GolfSpy Barbajo's writeup with how well received the previous two iterations were in testing, I think these will be VERY strong performers. Especially if the distance creeps up while the forgiveness stays the same.

That guy at PGA Superstore is a clown. He should talk to someone like @Wedgie who really dropped his handicap with this line of irons.

Yep, the original HB Launchers were the best clubs I've ever owned. Looks like I'll be headed to Golfer's Warehouse on the 20th to check these out. Even the guys at True Spec couldn't find a better club after 2 hours of trying. After they gave up they tried to get me to hit drivers.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Trying to talk my 21 hc, 62yo dad into these. He's a "sweeper" who hits his woods well and can struggle with thin/fat shots with his M2s. They look like just the ticket for him.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

According to the Cleveland website, the DSG right near my house is a full service Cleveland fitter & seller. That was news to the guy in the golf section who didn't know anything about the new line. Nor did they have anything out on the shelves. They did have a used Launcher driver though...

I'll have to see if I can steal away to Golfers Warehouse next week when I'm back in the office to check these out. 

Looks like Peter Finch put the HB Turbos back in the bag while he recovers from some back issues. Wonder if he'll move up to the Xl Halos when they're available in steel?

Another video share - Crossfield loves these irons. Great combo of on course testing showing turf interaction as well as some launch monitor stats. He mentions that he still has his original Launcher HBs and planned to play them last year before the courses closed during the pandemic. Good stuff here. 

More solid reviews, this time from the TXG crew in their first ever SGI test. T300 vs XL Halo irons.

On 8/31/2021 at 2:06 PM, russtopherb said:

More solid reviews, this time from the TXG crew in their first ever SGI test. T300 vs XL Halo irons.

I saw that one.  Both were really good.  But Matt was absolutely LOL’ing at the Halo Distance.   For those that haven’t seen it. Matt as hiring RH for the first time in 6 months.  And still hitting shots and distances that most of us dream of.  Ha 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I saw that one.  Both were really good.  But Matt was absolutely LOL’ing at the Halo Distance.   For those that haven’t seen it. Matt as hiring RH for the first time in 6 months.  And still hitting shots and distances that most of us dream of.  Ha 

After watching that video, think i am going to buy one of these Halo 4 irons to go with my T300 set

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 8/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, russtopherb said:

Another video share - Crossfield loves these irons. Great combo of on course testing showing turf interaction as well as some launch monitor stats. He mentions that he still has his original Launcher HBs and planned to play them last year before the courses closed during the pandemic. Good stuff here. 

I’ve seen Crossfield’s vids about Clevelands Launchers, and I think his take to is to get new/struggling golfers to love golf sooner than later. I was suggesting that my brother demo a club at the shop, and he just shivered at the thought. If he can just get past the looks of it, and try them, I think he might see/feel a difference.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

1 hour ago, berkeleybob said:

I’ve seen Crossfield’s vids about Clevelands Launchers, and I think his take to is to get new/struggling golfers to love golf sooner than later. I was suggesting that my brother demo a club at the shop, and he just shivered at the thought. If he can just get past the looks of it, and try them, I think he might see/feel a difference.

I started out that way when hybrid irons started picking up popularity, I had a few Cleveland Altitudes in the longer irons and I just didn't like hitting them so I wrote off that style iron overall. Now, I've done a complete 180 after seeing what my game is like, how often I'm actually really able to play, and seeing other golfers hit just amazing effortless shots with them. 

I canceled an order for PXG XF irons after I hit these. I couldn’t believe how forgiving they were. I went back two more times just to make sure, and after the third day I ordered a set 4-PW.

Ive played 4 rounds with them and my scoring was really good (below 85 each time) but the ability to get them up in the air as easily as I can is what my game needed. My old Rogue X irons were great clubs, I wore them out for 4 years as they withstood a bunch of sets I tried to replace them with. The Halo Launchers seem like the ones that have finally done it.

If you’re someone who struggles with iron play, you need to try these. I’ll never understand those who say their ego would never allow them to play these. I would think your ego would be bigger shooting lower scores rather than having a cool looking set in your bag, but what do I know?

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

On 9/3/2021 at 4:51 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I would think your ego would be bigger shooting lower scores rather than having a cool looking set in your bag, but what do I know?

Exactly. Played a round a few weeks ago with my wife's dad and great-uncle. Her dad and I had 270+ yard drives versus maybe 210 to 220 from her great-uncle ... but we were both outscored because he hit everything dead straight and exactly on the money. . . And oh boy was he chirping at us (in a friendly way) the whole round because "what good are those drivers of yours if you can't hit your other clubs for s***?"

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I’ve ordered a set of 5-PW for my dad. He turns 70 in a month or so and I thought to myself after watching Mark Crossfield and TXG’s reviews on the clubs why wouldn’t he enjoy these. Golf is hard enough already, why do we make it harder on ourselves. They are approved by the USGA so use it to our advantage. Golfers from 50 years ago would look at the average club and ball these days and think wow where was this in my day. 

I’ll be definitely be having a few hits with them myself even though the set I’ve ordered for my Dad are senior graphite. I’ll be sure to update you how Dad gets on and my general feedback. 

Take Care All

Greg J

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 4 iron. Gamed it after only a few shots on the range. It is very promising, easier to hit than any other long iron i have tried. Looks like a hybrid with an iron face. I can't hit a hybrid to save my life, but can hit this. I do need to optimize it a bit. I ordered the stock build with the graphite shaft, whereas I normally play -0.5" and 2 flat. Plus the playing length of this club is like 39.125" which is really long. Probably need to try it in the Cleveland "accuracy" build setup, which is -0.5" and take out the butt weight. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

45 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Got my 4 iron. Gamed it after only a few shots on the range. It is very promising, easier to hit than any other long iron i have tried. Looks like a hybrid with an iron face. I can't hit a hybrid to save my life, but can hit this. I do need to optimize it a bit. I ordered the stock build with the graphite shaft, whereas I normally play -0.5" and 2 flat. Plus the playing length of this club is like 39.125" which is really long. Probably need to try it in the Cleveland "accuracy" build setup, which is -0.5" and take out the butt weight. 

Love to see this. Historically I've been in that same boat, so reading this makes me want to try these out even more.

15 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Love to see this. Historically I've been in that same boat, so reading this makes me want to try these out even more.

And when I mean I can't a hybrid, I really mean I can't hit a hybrid. Can't hit it off the tee, off the deck, off a driving range mat, etc. Hybrids either are a big pull hook if i make good contact, but i generally don't even make good contact. Usually top it or hit it super thin like 20 feet off the ground. 

None of that happened with the Halo XL. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

And when I mean I can't a hybrid, I really mean I can't hit a hybrid. Can't hit it off the tee, off the deck, off a driving range mat, etc. Hybrids either are a big pull hook if i make good contact, but i generally don't even make good contact. Usually top it or hit it super thin like 20 feet off the ground. 

None of that happened with the Halo XL. 

Oh I know that 'left hook off the face of the planet' feeling & shot with a hybrid far too well. And I've tried a LOT of hybrids. That experience is what has led me to kind of steer clear of sets like these in the past, but based on how forgiving they are, how well they've been received, and the honest fact that I'm not getting younger nor am I playing 50+ rounds per year, hybrid-style irons like this set seem to be a no-brainer for me when I think about my next set.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Oscar10 said:

Just ordered a set of these with Reg graphite shafts after realizing for weeks that I hit my hybrids far better than anything else in my bag. Could be because I’m a picker and very rarely take a divot. We shall see if my 12.3 handicap goes up or down.

Definitely keep us updated. I'm the opposite with divots, I tend to take bigger ones and my miss is fat, it seems the sole setup on these can be helpful for both types of golfers.

Does anyone know if these can be bent to adjust the lie?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Does anyone know if these can be bent to adjust the lie?

My educated guess - yes, they should be, probably a couple of degrees max. IIRC, Wedgie had his original Launcher HBs bent when he tested them here.

EDIT: I looked it up, and yes they were bent 2* upright - 

After trading a bunch of crap in I got a set of Halos in regular graphite. My 4 rounds before I got them were 89-89-86-91. My four rounds with them are 84-80-79-85. The 4 rounds with the Halos have been really windy as well. My observations are they spin a ton. With a 15-20 MPH wind at my back I backed up a Wilson Duo from about 160 with a 6 iron. Our greens have been receptive but I am getting my shots to stop about a foot from their ball mark with every club in the bag. I have averaged a hair over 2 birdies a round with these in the bag because I can literally go after any pin because they stop so fast. 2 birdies a rounds is a lot for me. When I dumped my HB Launchers for single length irons my handicap was 6.3. Now I am at 9.5 and trending downwards with the Halos.

This weekend I am going to remove the Halo 8-G and replace with my single length Cobras and see how that goes. Adjusting back to shorter "short" clubs is where I have struggled the most with these. I highly recommend people try these.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

10 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

After trading a bunch of crap in I got a set of Halos in regular graphite.

I highly recommend people try these.

Do I have 2 guitars on consignment right now so I can pick up a set of these over the winter?

Maybe...

Just now, russtopherb said:

Do I have 2 guitars on consignment right now so I can pick up a set of these over the winter?

Maybe...

Just pull your kid out of college. 

If you are ever in my area you can hit them on the SkyTrak. The graphite might be on the light side for you but once you get used to them you will never go back.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 1 month later...