Quality Components

Back in the day, I thought it was fun, and learned a ton making my own clubs.  This was probably the late 90's/early 00's, and there were several high quality component companies such as Dynacraft, Golfsmith, Maltby, Wishon, and even Hireko made some good Acer products.  Obviously some of those have gone under, and others purchased by other less quality/more clone-ish clubs.  But it would seem with the explosion in the price of clubs in the last few years that this niche would become attractive again.  Are there some good companies out there that I haven't heard of?  

To me, the ultimate fitting experience is designing your own clubs, just not sure I still have the time...

Golfworks(Maltby) and Hireko are the two I use. Hireko has some nice stuff at an attractive price structure. Golfworks is raising prices quite high but has unique and well designed products. After being bought by Golf Galaxy and then Dicks taking over Golfworks has to show more profit.

But when you can assemble irons for $40-80 and hybrids and fairways for $65-100 and drivers for $120-200, makes for an interesting Hobbie. Been doing it for 35 plus years.

Murv

• Like 2
On 8/22/2021 at 5:56 PM, Murv said:

Golfworks(Maltby) and Hireko are the two I use. Hireko has some nice stuff at an attractive price structure. Golfworks is raising prices quite high but has unique and well designed products. After being bought by Golf Galaxy and then Dicks taking over Golfworks has to show more profit.

But when you can assemble irons for $40-80 and hybrids and fairways for $65-100 and drivers for $120-200, makes for an interesting Hobbie. Been doing it for 35 plus years.

Murv

It’s a rare-breed of day when I bump into someone familiar with Acer irons. I am still currently gaming my Acer set that my dads friend built for me almost. 15 years ago. 🙂

Papa-Bear was Here. 

1 hour ago, BenjaminButtonz said:

It’s a rare-breed of day when I bump into someone familiar with Acer irons. I am still currently gaming my Acer set that my dads friend built for me almost. 15 years ago. 🙂

My first club was a 7i Acer X something... I purchased a single iron to smack balls at the range before deciding whether golf was gonna stick as a hobby.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

7 hours ago, BenjaminButtonz said:

I do agree with earlier comments that the quality of parts is a concern.  That's why I built a couple demos in 6 iron and went to the range.  Mostly through Hireko.  Not a perfect assessment,  but it helped me to make a decision that I'm happy with.

• Like 1

Mahonex

Tour Edge 9 Driver, 3wd, 3&4 hybrids

5-P Acer XS, UST Irn graphite S

Never Compromise putter

I'd like to get into building some of my own clubs for fun.  Any advice on getting started?

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Taylormade Hi Toe 54* & 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
20 hours ago, BenjaminButtonz said:

For the cost, they can't be beat. I have had drivers, hybrids, irons and the Titanium fairways are at one time the oldest clubs in my bag. They were super.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Murv said:

For the cost, they can't be beat. I have had drivers, hybrids, irons and the Titanium fairways are at one time the oldest clubs in my bag. They were super.

Currently game a set of the XK irons. Set prior to that was the XD (still have them in the basement with the matching XD 3 & 5 wood) 

The individual who built them for me sold cars, and built clubs as a side hustle. He was very smart, and the clubs still fit me fairly well after this many years. When I first started I had no idea what he was talking about. fast forward to today and my knowledge of clubs, and it all makes sense. They are *1” and 1degree up from standard specs. At 6’2” I’ve had no reason to replace them, and they still hit greens and get the job done. From what I’ve learned, the XK were the high trajectory model. They perform outstanding on mishits. I’ve skilled/toed/shanked plenty of ugly shots that still wound up very playable without much punishment. 

I am excited for the day I get fit for a modern set of irons, but until my money tree grows a little taller these will work just fine. 👍

Papa-Bear was Here. 

I have been building clubs for almost 19 years. Golfsmith and Golfworks were the companies I always trusted. I was a huge snake eyes fan and miss their stuff. 

Wishon and KZG were always brands I liked that sold to their club makers. 

I would never consider anything Hireko makes "high quality." I am sure they make decent stuff for most people, but I wouldn't build with anything they make. They were always the bargain/copycat component seller out there to me.

Just my opinion....

Edited by jtgavigan
  • Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber Avalon T6*, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft,

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, 4-6, Dynamic Gold Sensicore x100 7-pw, D4, 2° flat

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

22 hours ago, PBH3 said:

I'd like to get into building some of my own clubs for fun.  Any advice on getting started?

A few of us are just getting started into this rabbit hole and getting advice from fellow spies who have experience in this hobby/business. Check out some of the threads in the Club Fitting & Building sub forum.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Golfworks and Hireko are the two I use, making my own clubs. Good prodicts from both., supply is getting to be a problem.

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Adams 2 hy

Adams 3 hy

Tommy Armour 4hy

Adams 5 hy

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Acer 52 & 54 wedges

Pinemeadow SS 400 putter