TESTERS WANTED! ×

Garmin Approach R10 Personal Launch Monitor

Golfspy_CG2

Nice toy 😉!!! Looks good and the data layout on the app is good. If I didn't already have a SkyTrak...... 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

@Golfspy_CG2now t he ultimate question; how well does it actually work. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@Golfspy_CG2now t he ultimate question; how well does it actually work. 

I hope to have an initial answer on that this afternoon.  It is charging right now, so I'll see if I can get enough of a charge to take it on the range for a short period today.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

15 minutes ago, greggarner said:

Dang! Mine arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to get it out this weekend and... (don'tsayputitthroughitspacesdon'tsayputitthroughitspacesdon'tsayputitthroughitspaces) try it out

LOL..That is one of my pet peeve sayings as well, I try to do everything I can to avoid using it.  But sometimes slip up! 

following with very keen interest. as we are in a constant flux of lockdowns here in Melbourne this could be a very handy thing to use in the backyard. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 9 Degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

3 wood: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 15 degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 3 Hybrid - 19 degree (Fujikura Ventus Blue 80g S)

Irons 5 - PW: Orka RS10 CB (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 50 & 54 (mid), Callaway PM19 58 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 10s 34" 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

Ok so a quick session with it on the range yesterday leaves me with two overriding thoughts. 
1) The potential of this thing is fantastic anc potentially a steal at the price of $599.   Or an absolute waste of money.   

2) to reach that potential.  Either there will have to be some quick and extensive firmware updates and corrections or I'm doing something wrong in the setup alignment.  

I hit about 2 dozen shots total.   I deleted some unfortunate sh%+^^* and a couple other outliers.  I wanted to judge it on at least halfway decent to good shots.  

ive attached some screenshots.  You can see thd number of data points it’s captures is indeed impressive.   You can also see the actual results range from pretty spot on to highly questionable.  

For those that don’t haven’t read any of my postings and don’t know my usual numbers. I’ll post them to give you a point of comparison.

7 iron.  My average SS is around 69-71 mph.  Ball speed is typically 92-94 mph and will occasionally touch 100 on a pure strike.  Backspin in my 7 iron is 5600 to 5900. Based on a recent Trackman fitting. My average smash factor is 133 for a 7.   My  on course 7 iron plays 125 to 130.   My irons are usually Straight to a slight fade.   That said the balls I was hitting yesterday were drawing a bit.   That does happen occasionally. So the left pattern you see in these was accurate. 

Driver.  Swing Speed hovers between 82-85.  Ball Speed 118-123.  Smash Factor is usually 143 to 145.  On course distance measured by arccos and sky caddie usually 205 to 210 total.  185 to 195 carry.  Driver backspin is usually 2400 to 2700.  Will occasionally peak to 3000 on not so perfect swings. 😬

angle of attack with driver is usually +3 to +4.   Hasn’t  been negative for many years.  So the AOA numbers here are quite puzzling. 

So with that as a “baseline” here are some screen shots. 

368A8E48-2C27-400B-A915-5B910DDC4162.png

17204335-077B-4236-A5D4-5F5E6FA54A4F.png

01A1F450-4AB9-433A-ADD0-760F760E03DB.png

3F56BE0A-605F-43BB-888E-A014FDE44CCA.png

B7145B4C-5D45-4005-9920-115F25521E2D.png

A8840900-B17C-49F7-8ED8-918433977AAE.png

04562F4E-6101-4AEA-BA86-6570B8F7689D.png

59523121-4FE8-4B77-9FEB-523895BCD487.png

Interesting numbers. The amount of data is tremendous for the price but if it's all a derivative calculation based on a couple metrics and a bunch of estimates, it may not be particularly useful or accurate. I remember reading somewhere that an individual thought most of these budget launch monitors used the same chip/sensor package and all the numbers are just a derivative based on rather well-understood estimates. I'll be curious to see if this is the situation with this LM or if Garmin invested in a bespoke chip/sensor package for this LM that can legitimately make extra measurements.

My dream for LMs would be for Skytrak to come out with a modernized version of their LM that is smaller and works outdoors for under $1000. The Skytrak is getting long in the tooth for a tech product. 

2 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Interesting numbers. The amount of data is tremendous for the price but if it's all a derivative calculation based on a couple metrics and a bunch of estimates, it may not be particularly useful or accurate. I remember reading somewhere that an individual thought most of these budget launch monitors used the same chip/sensor package and all the numbers are just a derivative based on rather well-understood estimates. I'll be curious to see if this is the situation with this LM or if Garmin invested in a bespoke chip/sensor package for this LM that can legitimately make extra measurements.

My dream for LMs would be for Skytrak to come out with a modernized version of their LM that is smaller and works outdoors for under $1000. The Skytrak is getting long in the tooth for a tech product. 

Yep, all good questions about how they come about the calculation of the other numbers. 

I understand the lower than normal swing speed info they are working with here 🙂  But some of them seem off more than others.  The driver for instance, while I never claim to hit 350 yard bombs, I know most of those drives were carrying past our 170 flag and definitely rolling out beyond the 200 marker.  Just as they would on the course.    Granted these are also range balls, and I know they are definitely lower spinning balls than the ProvV I use on the course, but some of those spin numbers were crazy low.  

I would say at best I'm pretty skeptical of he overall use and accuracy of this unit right now.  I have a Rapsodo, and while it doesn't provide near the number of metrics the R10 does, it is very accurate on the ones it does provide.    Clubhead Speed, ball speed, launch, height, Total Distance and smash factor. 

Thanks for doing all the hard work Rob! I’m interested to see how this stacks up against the Mevo+

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

So some new info I just realized.   When I did my range session yesterday. I realized afterward I had hit all shots without changing the club.  So I went in afterward and edited them from 7 iron to driver.   But I don’t think any of the stats changed.

But I’m wondering if the built in algorithms are designed to factor in loft snd type of club.  There’s no doubt a driver and 7 iron both swung at the same speed would have much different results.  If the software has a built in loft snd weight etc vs a 7 iron.   I can see why it thinks hitting a 7 iron 180 yards with a 71 mph swing could result in a 159 smash factor.   Ha 

I’ll definitely need to do another range session with the correct club numbers selected before shots are hit  

Subscribed! Very interested to see if this device lives up to it's marketing hype!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 8/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ok so a quick session with it on the range yesterday leaves me with two overriding thoughts. 
1) The potential of this thing is fantastic anc potentially a steal at the price of $599.   Or an absolute waste of money.   

Hmm interesting first go with this, and that initial .. preliminary .. feedback sure sounds disappointing coming from the Garmin brand...

Does it require any special setup - eg. unit must be exactly N feet behind you? Also - does it have to be level with the hitting surface? Etc.

Curious to hear how further tests go!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 8/20/2021 at 9:37 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So some new info I just realized.   When I did my range session yesterday. I realized afterward I had hit all shots without changing the club.  So I went in afterward and edited them from 7 iron to driver.   But I don’t think any of the stats changed.

But I’m wondering if the built in algorithms are designed to factor in loft snd type of club.  There’s no doubt a driver and 7 iron both swung at the same speed would have much different results.  If the software has a built in loft snd weight etc vs a 7 iron.   I can see why it thinks hitting a 7 iron 180 yards with a 71 mph swing could result in a 159 smash factor.   Ha 

I’ll definitely need to do another range session with the correct club numbers selected before shots are hit  

I've done similar with the Mevo....take it to the range and hit a bunch of shots and then realize I was still on the indoor net setting.  By then I am a too tired to start over!    🥴

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Thanks for posting this!  I am excited to see an official review/comparison.

I am going to try not to judge a book by its cover, but I am always skeptical about (consumer grade) doppler based launch monitors.  Especially, those that claim to reliably track spin rate.

A brief history about my launch monitor experience (not that anyone cares): I have been trained and used the GCQuad back when I used to work in the industry, trained and used the FlightScope for sometime (college provided), and I even had access to a FullSwing (not a fan). 

I love the fact that we now have access to an array of personal launch monitors.  The fact that those who are really trying to improve their game have this at their disposal is truly amazing.  One thing people (myself included) get sucked into, that can be misleading, are the raw numbers. 

THOUGHT: The data is only valuable if you know how to interpret it.

This brings me back to my mention of backspin.  It is really hard for any consumer doppler based launch monitor to accurately capture backspin, which can lead to misinterpretation.  Now if Garmin has some sort of secret sauce that figured this out, this may be game changing personal launch monitor.  What I like, based off these screen shots is the simplicity of the app.  Especially, that range summary view.

Now, I am not a true expert on this stuff, but I like to think I know how these work, kinda. 

I am really hopeful for this product!

NMB

Titleist Pro V1x

Titleist 915D3/TS4

Tileist 917 F3

Mizuno MP-20 MMB

Mizuno T20s

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6

6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Hmm interesting first go with this, and that initial .. preliminary .. feedback sure sounds disappointing coming from the Garmin brand...

Does it require any special setup - eg. unit must be exactly N feet behind you? Also - does it have to be level with the hitting surface? Etc.

Curious to hear how further tests go!

It does require it to be 6-8 feet behind the ball. Which I did with no problem.  It says it only needs to be above the mat surface which using the included tripod it does that as well.   

There is an alignment line on top of the ball. You are supposed to have that line run right through the ball snd down your target line, which I did also. 

The only other variable I have just rad aboit on the WRX thread is the angle of the unit.   I think it’s a pretty fixed angle as the tripod attachment is a non adjustable arm that attaches.  The tripod legs were fully extended as well.  But I will check next time to see if there is anything that can cause the unit to aim too high or too low. 

i also need to find out how exactly to use the camera function.  I put my iPhone next to it connected to the Bluetooth and while it did video two swings.  They were not at a good angle and didn’t use the tracer function like the Rapsodo does.   So I need to search for more any instructions I can find on the camera use.  There were none in the user manual. 

9 minutes ago, NMB14 said:

Thanks for posting this!  I am excited to see an official review/comparison.

I am going to try not to judge a book by its cover, but I am always skeptical about (consumer grade) doppler based launch monitors.  Especially, those that claim to reliably track spin rate.

A brief history about my launch monitor experience (not that anyone cares): I have been trained and used the GCQuad back when I used to work in the industry, trained and used the FlightScope for sometime (college provided), and I even had access to a FullSwing (not a fan). 

I love the fact that we now have access to an array of personal launch monitors.  The fact that those who are really trying to improve their game have this at their disposal is truly amazing.  One thing people (myself included) get sucked into, that can be misleading, are the raw numbers. 

THOUGHT: The data is only valuable if you know how to interpret it.

This brings me back to my mention of backspin.  It is really hard for any consumer doppler based launch monitor to accurately capture backspin, which can lead to misinterpretation.  Now if Garmin has some sort of secret sauce that figured this out, this may be game changing personal launch monitor.  What I like, based off these screen shots is the simplicity of the app.  Especially, that range summary view.

Now, I am not a true expert on this stuff, but I like to think I know how these work, kinda. 

I am really hopeful for this product!

Thanks for the post.  I agree with you that number chasing or not even knowing what the numbers mean can be detrimental to some.   And that your disclaimer was for users in general.  

I actually have been trained and certified for fittings by multiple OEM’s and Trackman University.   So while no means a master fitter, I know what the numbers mean and how to use them.   

The reliability of backspin on this grade of unit is something I questioned as well when looking at it.  I was willing to roll the dice snd see it all first hand. 

So yes, my final determination on the practical use of it is yet TBD.   I showed the full results to our DOI bache was impressed that this price of unit could offer so many data points.  And said if only half of them can be reliable, it’ll be a bargain for the average consumer. 

Took mine out to the range. Concur with everything so far. Incredible potential but not there yet. Some of the data seems absolutely spot on. And some is comically wrong. One of my personal favorites was a high, soft draw with the driver that started 5 yards right of center. The visualization in the app showed it right-going-right.

That being said, while I'm not going to do professional fittings with it, I think it's super useful at a range, as long as it isn't crowded. (It kept picking up my neighbor's cold tops and dead shanks that crossed in front of it...)

Screenshot_20210822-154358.jpg.9798f398139b15f98c84f348ef25d18f.jpg

Screenshot_20210822-155258.jpg.ce95d815210ce03ea56299d7c3909e6d.jpg

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks for the post.  I agree with you that number chasing or not even knowing what the numbers mean can be detrimental to some.   And that your disclaimer was for users in general.  

I actually have been trained and certified for fittings by multiple OEM’s and Trackman University.   So while no means a master fitter, I know what the numbers mean and how to use them.   

The reliability of backspin on this grade of unit is something I questioned as well when looking at it.  I was willing to roll the dice snd see it all first hand. 

So yes, my final determination on the practical use of it is yet TBD.   I showed the full results to our DOI bache was impressed that this price of unit could offer so many data points.  And said if only half of them can be reliable, it’ll be a bargain for the average consumer. 

I appreciate the reply!

I hope I did not come across as questioning you, because that was not my intentions. I just threw my disclaimer in there for the obvious and I am glad you recognized that.

I agree with you completely and saw you mentioned that.   Even though I am holding out for the Bushnell release, I am keeping this guy in the running due to its capabilities (so far), size, and simplicity of the unit.

Thanks again!

NMB

Titleist Pro V1x

Titleist 915D3/TS4

Tileist 917 F3

Mizuno MP-20 MMB

Mizuno T20s

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6

17 hours ago, NMB14 said:

I appreciate the reply!

I hope I did not come across as questioning you, because that was not my intentions. I just threw my disclaimer in there for the obvious and I am glad you recognized that.

I agree with you completely and saw you mentioned that.   Even though I am holding out for the Bushnell release, I am keeping this guy in the running due to its capabilities (so far), size, and simplicity of the unit.

Thanks again!

Oh no, I didn't take it as questioning me at all.  Probably mentioning my club fitting training came off that way, sorry.  Also and again not you, but other people on this and other forums have discounted any knowledge I may have about fitting numbers, because I don't have a 90 mph 7 iron swing. Pretty ridiculous but there are those out there with that opinion 😞    

I was just reiterating what you stated about the dangers of too much info can be bad for some people.  It's a topic that has been mentioned by several members on here in other club fitting discussions.    

I too remain hopeful that this will in the long run be a very useful personal practice device.  I'm also curious to see the simulator mode, I haven't tried that yet.  Also the Bushnell is something we may look at for our course for indoor winter time use/fun. 

this has been the longest 24 hours awaiting MGS review of this unit. tossing up between this and a Rapsodo MLM.

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 9 Degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

3 wood: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 15 degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 3 Hybrid - 19 degree (Fujikura Ventus Blue 80g S)

Irons 5 - PW: Orka RS10 CB (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 50 & 54 (mid), Callaway PM19 58 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 10s 34" 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

5 hours ago, amwolf90 said:

this has been the longest 24 hours awaiting MGS review of this unit. tossing up between this and a Rapsodo MLM.

Try being a most wanted tester and seeing and trying equipment you can’t talk about because it is under embargo.    Can you keep a secret?  😁

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Try being a most wanted tester and seeing and trying equipment you can’t talk about because it is under embargo.    Can you keep a secret?  😁

You can? Me too!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

MGS review is up and they did a great job of making it sound better than it actually is.

Need 16ft of flight (good luck getting a net big enough to allow that)

Driver RPMs off by hundreds and iron and wedge RPMs off by thousands

Sometimes reading fades as draws and vice versa?

$600 gets you that?

No thank you.

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

MGS review is up and they did a great job of making it sound better than it actually is.

Need 16ft of flight (good luck getting a net big enough to allow that)

Driver RPMs off by hundreds and iron and wedge RPMs off by thousands

Sometimes reading fades as draws and vice versa?

$600 gets you that?

No thank you.

I'm with you.  If the numbers are off by that much, forget it. 

Hey @Golfspy_CG2need to get that negative angle of attack up on the driver.  😉  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I think Harry's write-up is pretty much exactly how I look at it: you'll get what you want out of it. If you want a unit that's reasonably close most of the time and has some features that other players at the same price-point don't have, this is the unit for you. If you're wanting a GCQuad/Trackman, move along. I've now used it twice, both times outdoors and I'd say that 90+% of the time, it seems like it's close enough. (Full disclosure, I stopped looking at the spin numbers after the first session when it said I had 3k spin on my driver and I know I typically have 1700-2200) I know my 7 iron goes about 165. So when I see a cluster from 162-168, that's good enough. If the GCQuad said the same cluster of shots was 161-170, does that functionally change how I play my game or reduce my confidence in the Garmin? Not really. But that's also specific to what I'm using it for: clubhead speed, ball speed, carry distance. And when I'm on the range, if the actual ball flight looks like the ball flight on the screen, then I'm also willing to look at the other data to get an idea of what's going on. But if I hit a draw and the screen shows a fade, I just delete that shot and move on because I know it misread.

I do think the write-up could have done more on the 'simulator' side of things. For $10/mo I can play a cartoon version of basically any course I can think of and have some fun with variable practice and get a more realistic approach to working on my game instead of just blasting 10 7 irons in a row. Could I do that in "range" mode? Sure. But it's a lot more fun to pull up the course I'll be playing for next month's Member-Guest and try to mentally put myself in tournament mode to try and give my practice a little more focus.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

18 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I think Harry's write-up is pretty much exactly how I look at it: you'll get what you want out of it. If you want a unit that's reasonably close most of the time and has some features that other players at the same price-point don't have, this is the unit for you. If you're wanting a GCQuad/Trackman, move along. I've now used it twice, both times outdoors and I'd say that 90+% of the time, it seems like it's close enough. (Full disclosure, I stopped looking at the spin numbers after the first session when it said I had 3k spin on my driver and I know I typically have 1700-2200) I know my 7 iron goes about 165. So when I see a cluster from 162-168, that's good enough. If the GCQuad said the same cluster of shots was 161-170, does that functionally change how I play my game or reduce my confidence in the Garmin? Not really. But that's also specific to what I'm using it for: clubhead speed, ball speed, carry distance. And when I'm on the range, if the actual ball flight looks like the ball flight on the screen, then I'm also willing to look at the other data to get an idea of what's going on. But if I hit a draw and the screen shows a fade, I just delete that shot and move on because I know it misread.

I do think the write-up could have done more on the 'simulator' side of things. For $10/mo I can play a cartoon version of basically any course I can think of and have some fun with variable practice and get a more realistic approach to working on my game instead of just blasting 10 7 irons in a row. Could I do that in "range" mode? Sure. But it's a lot more fun to pull up the course I'll be playing for next month's Member-Guest and try to mentally put myself in tournament mode to try and give my practice a little more focus.

How the hell can a unit give you accurate carry distances or ball flight trajectory, direction and shape when it cannot properly read spin?

spoiler: it can’t