Garmin Approach R10 Personal Launch Monitor

Took mine out to the range. Concur with everything so far. Incredible potential but not there yet. Some of the data seems absolutely spot on. And some is comically wrong. One of my personal favorites was a high, soft draw with the driver that started 5 yards right of center. The visualization in the app showed it right-going-right.

That being said, while I'm not going to do professional fittings with it, I think it's super useful at a range, as long as it isn't crowded. (It kept picking up my neighbor's cold tops and dead shanks that crossed in front of it...)

Screenshot_20210822-154358.jpg.9798f398139b15f98c84f348ef25d18f.jpg

Screenshot_20210822-155258.jpg.ce95d815210ce03ea56299d7c3909e6d.jpg

• Like 5

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks for the post.  I agree with you that number chasing or not even knowing what the numbers mean can be detrimental to some.   And that your disclaimer was for users in general.  

I actually have been trained and certified for fittings by multiple OEM’s and Trackman University.   So while no means a master fitter, I know what the numbers mean and how to use them.   

The reliability of backspin on this grade of unit is something I questioned as well when looking at it.  I was willing to roll the dice snd see it all first hand. 

So yes, my final determination on the practical use of it is yet TBD.   I showed the full results to our DOI bache was impressed that this price of unit could offer so many data points.  And said if only half of them can be reliable, it’ll be a bargain for the average consumer. 

I appreciate the reply!

I hope I did not come across as questioning you, because that was not my intentions. I just threw my disclaimer in there for the obvious and I am glad you recognized that.

I agree with you completely and saw you mentioned that.   Even though I am holding out for the Bushnell release, I am keeping this guy in the running due to its capabilities (so far), size, and simplicity of the unit.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

NMB

Titleist Pro V1x

Titleist 915D3/TS4

Tileist 917 F3

Mizuno MP-20 MMB

Mizuno T20s

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6

17 hours ago, NMB14 said:

I appreciate the reply!

I hope I did not come across as questioning you, because that was not my intentions. I just threw my disclaimer in there for the obvious and I am glad you recognized that.

I agree with you completely and saw you mentioned that.   Even though I am holding out for the Bushnell release, I am keeping this guy in the running due to its capabilities (so far), size, and simplicity of the unit.

Thanks again!

Oh no, I didn't take it as questioning me at all.  Probably mentioning my club fitting training came off that way, sorry.  Also and again not you, but other people on this and other forums have discounted any knowledge I may have about fitting numbers, because I don't have a 90 mph 7 iron swing. Pretty ridiculous but there are those out there with that opinion 😞    

I was just reiterating what you stated about the dangers of too much info can be bad for some people.  It's a topic that has been mentioned by several members on here in other club fitting discussions.    

I too remain hopeful that this will in the long run be a very useful personal practice device.  I'm also curious to see the simulator mode, I haven't tried that yet.  Also the Bushnell is something we may look at for our course for indoor winter time use/fun. 

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

this has been the longest 24 hours awaiting MGS review of this unit. tossing up between this and a Rapsodo MLM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 9 Degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

3 wood: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 15 degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 3 Hybrid - 19 degree (Fujikura Ventus Blue 80g S)

Irons 5 - PW: Orka RS10 CB (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 50 & 54 (mid), Callaway PM19 58 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 10s 34" 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

5 hours ago, amwolf90 said:

this has been the longest 24 hours awaiting MGS review of this unit. tossing up between this and a Rapsodo MLM.

Try being a most wanted tester and seeing and trying equipment you can’t talk about because it is under embargo.    Can you keep a secret?  😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Try being a most wanted tester and seeing and trying equipment you can’t talk about because it is under embargo.    Can you keep a secret?  😁

You can? Me too!

• Haha 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

MGS review is up and they did a great job of making it sound better than it actually is.

Need 16ft of flight (good luck getting a net big enough to allow that)

Driver RPMs off by hundreds and iron and wedge RPMs off by thousands

Sometimes reading fades as draws and vice versa?

$600 gets you that?

No thank you.

• Like 9

CC5 sig.png

20 minutes ago, jlukes said:

MGS review is up and they did a great job of making it sound better than it actually is.

$600 gets you that?

No thank you.

I'm with you.  If the numbers are off by that much, forget it. 

Hey @Golfspy_CG2need to get that negative angle of attack up on the driver.  😉  

• Like 2

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     TSi2 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke C3 setting

Fairways   HZRDUS Smoke 13.5* & 19* C3 setting

Driving Iron:   U500 17* Fujikura Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X 6.0 1* up

Wedges   SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

I think Harry's write-up is pretty much exactly how I look at it: you'll get what you want out of it. If you want a unit that's reasonably close most of the time and has some features that other players at the same price-point don't have, this is the unit for you. If you're wanting a GCQuad/Trackman, move along. I've now used it twice, both times outdoors and I'd say that 90+% of the time, it seems like it's close enough. (Full disclosure, I stopped looking at the spin numbers after the first session when it said I had 3k spin on my driver and I know I typically have 1700-2200) I know my 7 iron goes about 165. So when I see a cluster from 162-168, that's good enough. If the GCQuad said the same cluster of shots was 161-170, does that functionally change how I play my game or reduce my confidence in the Garmin? Not really. But that's also specific to what I'm using it for: clubhead speed, ball speed, carry distance. And when I'm on the range, if the actual ball flight looks like the ball flight on the screen, then I'm also willing to look at the other data to get an idea of what's going on. But if I hit a draw and the screen shows a fade, I just delete that shot and move on because I know it misread.

I do think the write-up could have done more on the 'simulator' side of things. For $10/mo I can play a cartoon version of basically any course I can think of and have some fun with variable practice and get a more realistic approach to working on my game instead of just blasting 10 7 irons in a row. Could I do that in "range" mode? Sure. But it's a lot more fun to pull up the course I'll be playing for next month's Member-Guest and try to mentally put myself in tournament mode to try and give my practice a little more focus.

• Like 4

4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)

All clubs RH

Tested:

18 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I think Harry's write-up is pretty much exactly how I look at it: you'll get what you want out of it. If you want a unit that's reasonably close most of the time and has some features that other players at the same price-point don't have, this is the unit for you. If you're wanting a GCQuad/Trackman, move along. I've now used it twice, both times outdoors and I'd say that 90+% of the time, it seems like it's close enough. (Full disclosure, I stopped looking at the spin numbers after the first session when it said I had 3k spin on my driver and I know I typically have 1700-2200) I know my 7 iron goes about 165. So when I see a cluster from 162-168, that's good enough. If the GCQuad said the same cluster of shots was 161-170, does that functionally change how I play my game or reduce my confidence in the Garmin? Not really. But that's also specific to what I'm using it for: clubhead speed, ball speed, carry distance. And when I'm on the range, if the actual ball flight looks like the ball flight on the screen, then I'm also willing to look at the other data to get an idea of what's going on. But if I hit a draw and the screen shows a fade, I just delete that shot and move on because I know it misread.

I do think the write-up could have done more on the 'simulator' side of things. For $10/mo I can play a cartoon version of basically any course I can think of and have some fun with variable practice and get a more realistic approach to working on my game instead of just blasting 10 7 irons in a row. Could I do that in "range" mode? Sure. But it's a lot more fun to pull up the course I'll be playing for next month's Member-Guest and try to mentally put myself in tournament mode to try and give my practice a little more focus.

How the hell can a unit give you accurate carry distances or ball flight trajectory, direction and shape when it cannot properly read spin?

spoiler: it can’t

• Like 2

CC5 sig.png

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

How the hell can a unit give you accurate carry distances or ball flight trajectory, direction and shape when it cannot properly read spin?

spoiler: it can’t

carry is measured, spin is calculated (not the other way around) -- so it's actually reading the carry distance but then it's trying to calculate spin based on all of the other measured variables (which is one reason why I hope the spin can be improved through firmware updates)

• Like 2

All clubs RH

Tested:

Well, just another $600 machine that really won’t help due to inaccuracies. As I’ve said before, I don’t see how buying something that is so off on metrics that it could ever be beneficial to one’s game… I say grab a laser, and head to the range, zap some flags, and start knocking them down. 

• Like 5

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Well, just another $600 machine that really won’t help due to inaccuracies. As I’ve said before, I don’t see how buying something that is so off on metrics that it could ever be beneficial to one’s game… I say grab a laser, and head to the range, zap some flags, and start knocking them down. 

Don't disagree with you there! Though my range only has 3 flags... 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All clubs RH

Tested:

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

$600 gets you that?

No thank you.

To be fair, and I could be wrong.  I think that 16 feet includes the 8 feet the monitor sits behind you and the 8 feet of flight into the net.  granted that is still a lot of space.   At least for me, I would never buy any of these units for indoor use.  My use of them is 99.99% outdoors, .01 that isn't still hitting out onto a range but from under tented pavilion.    So yes, ffor anyone thinking of using this or even the Rapsodo indoors, I'd give it a serous 2nd thought. 

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

49 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

To be fair, and I could be wrong.  I think that 16 feet includes the 8 feet the monitor sits behind you and the 8 feet of flight into the net.  granted that is still a lot of space.   At least for me, I would never buy any of these units for indoor use.  My use of them is 99.99% outdoors, .01 that isn't still hitting out onto a range but from under tented pavilion.    So yes, ffor anyone thinking of using this or even the Rapsodo indoors, I'd give it a serous 2nd thought. 

One thing with this review that would be interesting to see is how it compares to the PRGR. I was just doing some warmup and swings in the net here at home and had it set up. Of course PRGR is a $149 or so and has it's fair share of misreads, however for ball speed, swing speed and carry it is pretty good. Clubs go within the distances I expect them to and the main misreads are on bad strikes. It also needs very little space. 

I also would love to hear more about the simulator settings and how that is working. It is bound to be better then wii golf! 

• Like 4

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

53 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

One thing with this review that would be interesting to see is how it compares to the PRGR. I was just doing some warmup and swings in the net here at home and had it set up. Of course PRGR is a $149 or so and has it's fair share of misreads, however for ball speed, swing speed and carry it is pretty good. Clubs go within the distances I expect them to and the main misreads are on bad strikes. It also needs very little space. 

I also would love to hear more about the simulator settings and how that is working. It is bound to be better then wii golf! 

Love my PRGR for speed training and to get a few reads on distances of well struck shots. Its not perfect, but serves its very limited purpose well.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed 

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

One thing with this review that would be interesting to see is how it compares to the PRGR.

Yeah, agree - of your only looking, fur example, for "reasonably accurate" distances on all clubs .. especially partial wedges .. I'd also be curious to see if the PRGR is good enough.

2 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Love my PRGR for speed training and to get a few reads on distances of well struck shots. Its not perfect, but serves its very limited purpose well.

Ah ha.. posted my previous before I saw this - thx!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..MLA Tour XDream (33", +2up, 400g, P2 Reflex Tour)
.. .. see MLA Offical Forum Member Reviews (..on the bench: Evnroll ER5)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

carry is measured, spin is calculated (not the other way around) -- so it's actually reading the carry distance but then it's trying to calculate spin based on all of the other measured variables (which is one reason why I hope the spin can be improved through firmware updates)

Carry is measured if you are hitting balls on the course or at a range and it can track the ball the entire time.

Carry is calculated if you are hitting into a net by factoring in ball speed, launch and and spin (which is also calculated/estimated most of the time)

• Like 2

CC5 sig.png

Would be interesting to know the relative error of hitting range balls outdoors vs gamer balls into a net on predicting the actual carry you would see at the course...

Regardless, you are probably better off buying a $200 unit that only does ball speed, club head speed, and carry since those seem to be the most reliable on the R10 and all personal radars. Unless you want an upgraded OptiShot 😉 to play courses. Potentially have your draws shows as fades over the winter, then make some ill advised swing changes. 

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

I dont think I will ever get that opportunity as I am in Australia, but a boy can dream.

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 9 Degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

3 wood: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 15 degree (Project X HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0)

Hybrid: Taylormade Sim 2 Max 3 Hybrid - 19 degree (Fujikura Ventus Blue 80g S)

Irons 5 - PW: Orka RS10 CB (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 50 & 54 (mid), Callaway PM19 58 

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 10s 34" 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x