Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Rogue Subzero Worth Upgrading?

nprotz

I currently play a Rogue Subzero 9* with Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 Stiff shaft.  I've never been fitted but landed on this one and hit it pretty well.  Would a more current driver offer anything more than the Subzero?  I'm not talking about distance really because I'm sure most heads are similar.  I'm talking more about things like forgiveness and stability.

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 2019 Irons Dynamic Gold S400 
:taylormade-small: Sim Ti 3w 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70 
:titelist-small: ProV1X
:titelist-small: Bag

Yes but also no. If someone has a bad fit a newer driver fit to them will probably gain them better ball flight and distance.

If buying random driver without a fitting it’s a 50/50 chance it works better.

Also what one person determines to be worth an upgrade might not be enough for someone else.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

How a player fits for or sets up a driver is on the player. I hit some good drives with the rogue  sub zero, but opted for the mavrik once it went on sale. I never liked the sound of the rogue. Traded in at Callaway Pre Owned, and purchased the mavrik sub zero. I feel it is a better driver for my needs. As always, YMMV.

Definitely a nice fitting with all of the options out there currently, I think you would gain a few things.  Most notably would be forgiveness, distance may be pretty close to what you have currently, but I think the forgiveness element are a bit better than they were 3/4 years ago.  If you miss the sweet spot, it seems like ball speed stays higher and the flight is a bit straighter.  That at least was my experience.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I tried Sub Zero and found two issues when compared to the Epic Flash. The first was inconsistency and forgiveness, I found that if my swing was even slightly out and I missed the middle of the head the results were not great. Where with the standard Epic Flash the majority of the time I would be either on the fairway or in the first cut and I would only loose 10-20m. 

Secondly the Sub Zero did not feel as good which lead to a lack of confidence with it.

BTW, I was not fitted, I just went to the local Pro Shop and Range and hit in total 8 drivers. Callaway (Sub and Standard) Mavrik, Rouge, Epic Flash, Cobra Speedzone and Ping G425. The difference in feel and forgiveness between these was amazing. It was a toss up between the Epic Flash and the Speedzone. However not long after that they had the Epic Flash of special for $199 as the new version had been released which made it an easy choice. I have to say that it is one of the best drivers I have ever hit.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001