TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Lob Wedge

Shankster

Today, I came to the realization that I do not need a lob wedge.  After the round started to smell bad, I mad it into a practice round.

I hit some 50 yard shots with a 54° and 58°… the 54° was premo, the 58° would have cost me a stroke for sure.  Hit the stick twice with the 54°… 

I might go back to a 52°/56° set up.  With a M grind I can turn the 56° into a 65° if needed.

I'll keep a 58° in my bag because it works well for my clock wedge system.

But in general, when I try to get "creative" with my 58°, I just end up leaving the ball short.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go without a 58 or 60 in my bag. As long as my ball striking is up to snuff (that goes for any club) it's a stress free option for me around the greens. I can hit it low, hit it high, make it spin, and even make it run a little. I wouldn't say it's a go-to wedge, but I probably opt for it a bit more than the 54 or 50. I have learned that (and constantly have to remind myself) I'm no Phil or Seve and will play the percentages more often than not.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

While I carry a 60, I limit use of it to those times when I particularly need to go high from short shots, although I will use it quite often when the sand is a bit firm or wet.  I much prefer using a 56 or even my 52 or 48  for shots inside of 100 yards.  I just feel that I have better control with partial swings with these clubs than a fuller swing with a 60.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

16 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go without a 58 or 60 in my bag. As long as my ball striking is up to snuff (that goes for any club) it's a stress free option for me around the greens. I can hit it low, hit it high, make it spin, and even make it run a little. I wouldn't say it's a go-to wedge, but I probably opt for it a bit more than the 54 or 50. I have learned that (and constantly have to remind myself) I'm no Phil or Seve and will play the percentages more often than not.

It has a purpose in my bag, but now that I’m not trying to Hulk Hogan it as my 100-110 yard shot. That purpose is dwindling.  

I used to practice with a 56° all the time.  High, low, extra high… ankle biters.

I just think that I need to reevaluate my approach to the game.  I need a lesson with the driver for certain.  

I don’t know…. I’ve been playing a lot of lower shots into the greens, with the 48° wedge.  It is magical.  Today I had 100 in, took a 9 iron and basically chipped it into the wind, one hop and stopped in it’s tracks.

50 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Today, I came to the realization that I do not need a lob wedge.  After the round started to smell bad, I mad it into a practice round.

I hit some 50 yard shots with a 54° and 58°… the 54° was premo, the 58° would have cost me a stroke for sure.  Hit the stick twice with the 54°… 

I might go back to a 52°/56° set up.  With a M grind I can turn the 56° into a 65° if needed.

I am inclined to agree with this logic.

If most golfers were to take a 54 or 56 and like you said, open it a little, you can really get a ball up in the air even in the rare event that you're short sided.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

It has a purpose in my bag, but now that I’m not trying to Hulk Hogan it as my 100-110 yard shot. That purpose is dwindling.  

Yeah, I very rarely take a full swipe at it with the 58. There has to be a very specific reason for me to want to do that. Definitely a case of "less is more" IMO.

20 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Today I had 100 in, took a 9 iron and basically chipped it into the wind, one hop and stopped in it’s tracks.

That's one of my favorite shots to both hit and watch. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Been carrying a 56 as my lowest all season and still have had only a handful of times where I needed that loft. Been using the 52 so much more and it has been much easier. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

32 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I am inclined to agree with this logic.

If most golfers were to take a 54 or 56 and like you said, open it a little, you can really get a ball up in the air even in the rare event that you're short sided.  

I was practicing flops in the yard with my 52° “Yard club” the other day.  Far superior result compared to trying to flop a 58°.  

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I don’t know…. I’ve been playing a lot of lower shots into the greens, with the 48° wedge.  It is magical.  Today I had 100 in, took a 9 iron and basically chipped it into the wind, one hop and stopped in it’s tracks.

This!!!!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I have a 58* lob that I use for the sand or greenside chips, maybe a pitch or two. But even a half swing? Nuh uh. No way. I've got a 54* CBX for that. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

I used to practice with a 56° all the time.  High, low, extra high… ankle biters.

I just think that I need to reevaluate my approach to the game.  I need a lesson with the driver for certain.  

It's funny.  I play with guys that have no idea how to play in wind.  I watch them hit these beautiful high wedge shots into greens, and they fall out of the sky... short.  I hit the same shot with a wedge; it goes half as high and is on the green.  I don't think they have that shot.  BTW, it works without wind too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Same for me.  My 60 is my goto club for most shots from 40 yards to the green.  I can hit it low or high from most any lie.  It's my bunker club unless I need a little more carry, then I opt for my 54.  I know what I can do with it, and that gives me confidence that I don't have with other clubs that I use very infrequently.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wouldn't even consider playing without my 60* in my bag. From 60 yards and in its money. I will also add that I play mountain courses so there are a lot of elevation changes and this requires quite a few high soft landing shots from below the green and over bunkers. I actually have 6 holes on my home course that can require this type of shot depending on where you leave yourself. Three are on par 5's. 

I do carry a 56* but that is mostly for bunker play. My next is the 50* gap wedge which is my go to for 100 yards and I use it for chips and pitches.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Most every club in my bag can be replaced.  The one club that really can't is my 58° LW.  This wedge has proven to be very reliable for a variety of shots from full shots (80-85 yards) to finesse shots to short bunker shots.  I have a standard stiff shaft in my LW, as I do for all my irons.  I have tried softer wedge shafts and really don't care for them.  I have a backup 58° LW (same make and model) that I put a wedge shaft in and it is NOT the same club.  When my current LW needs to be replaced I will use the existing shaft with the new head.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I used to only carry a 56* then I added a 60* about two years ago and never looked back. My wedges are the strongest part of my game mostly because I spent about an hour a day 6 days a week in high school chipping on the practice green. It's far easier to be accurate with the 60* wedge because you don't have to open it up as much as the 56* to get the same shot. It's not that a 56* can't make all the shots, it's just the 60* makes it easier. I will say that I rarely ever take a full swing with my 60 as it can be a little unpredictable although I have gotten much better. Shots 50 - 80 yards are mostly hit with my 56* and anything longer than 80 yards is going to be hit with my 51*, PW or 9-iron depending on conditions, landing area, etc. Really, any shot inside of 150, I will usually club up an extra club as it's much easier for me to control trajectory and spin with a 9- or 8-iron than try to muscle a wedge to the pin. Muscling irons and wedges to the whole has rarely been a winning strategy for me.

Couldn’t get thru a round without my 60*: from 90 yards and in, it’s my go to club. Long chips and long bunker shots? I’ll use my 55* or my 51*, but since I have the same shaft in those as my irons, I prefer closer to “full” swings. I don’t hit any club all out anymore, but trying to hit a knockdown, or a 50% 56 is out of my ability…

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I never carried a 60 degree wedge until I ordered a set of 50, 55 and 60 degree Edison wedges several months ago.   Since I'm short off the tee and typically with the follow up fairway wood on a par 4, in order for me to score I need to have a solid wedge game and putt pretty well.   Here in Key West the Rees Jones course is classic design with small greens with false fronts.  When pins are cut close to the front, I find the 60 degree lob wedge essential for getting it close.  The challenge for me is with these relatively short distance shots is not not trusting the wedge, not swinging hard enough and coming up short.   It's still a work in process, but the 60 degree is staying in the bag!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I carry 54 and 58. Regarding the 58, I have both a high bounce Vokey K grind and a Callaway Mack Daddy low (9 degree) bounce. The mack daddy is in the most of the time because of the sand conditions where I play. Which wedge is used from 30-60 yards depends on conditions, pin position, etc. I do tend to go to the lower loft option when conditions allow.

My 58° is a perfect 75 yd shot, plus green side bunker with no green to work with...that's it, otherwise it's in the bag.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I played a 56* only for many years then change to a 54* & 58* set up. I feel like the 54* is money 85 yrds and in. However, the 58 has a place, too. I use a low bounce 58* that will allow for touch shots around the green from tight lies and bunkers that are rock hard. The 58* is also a viable option to reach tight pin placements, especially where water or bunkers come into play.

:tour-edge: EXS 9.5 Tensei CK Blue (R)

:mizuno-small:ST180 3W Tensei CK Blue (R)

:tour-edge: CBX119 19*

:ping-small: I210 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 50* SS grind

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 54* & 58* both R grind

:odyssey-small: Protype Tour Series 3 

:ShotScope: V3 watch

:bridgestone-small:B XS or :taylormade-small: Tour Response

I carry a 52 and a 58... I use the 52 a lot between 50 and 140 yards. It's my "approach wedge"... However, when I'm closer to the pin than that and I want to stop the ball quickly, spin will not be enough, it's got to have height too... And the 58 provides that. Plus all the times from 100 yards in when you need the ball in the air quick (going over trees and so on). On top of that, it's a much better option from the sand than all the 56 and 54 I've ever tried. 

So ditching the lob wedge would cost me at least 2 shots a round. However, I recognize that using it "unwisely" may cost a number of shots too.

It's all back to the old "never play a shot that doesn't have at least a 80% success rate in practice"... So a shot never practiced is a big No-No!

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I was using the 58° for everything inside of 100 until I got the 54°. Not sure what it is, because I have practiced and played with the 58°… I’m just more comfortable with the 54° for the inside 100 now, and maybe even the 48°.

58° will be reserved for the thick rough and bunker shots for now.

My wedges are 45, 50, 55, and 60 and are gapped perfectly, but the 55 and 60 i use for only very specific shots. My go to for 115yds and in is my 50...i have the partial swings dialed in. The 55 is bunkers and short chips with little green to work with (my wedges and irons produce A LOT of spin). The 60 i use strictly for those times where i have to go high (over a tree, or on to an elevated green for example) from inside 50 yds or if i am very close to the lip of a bunker.  My 60 is one of those I dont hit consistently when i try to do a partial swing (i either skull it severely or hit it great), but I can always count on my 50 with partial swings (usually get it within 10 feet) We all have different games and skills with shots. Do what fits you, but maybe limit your uses for certain clubs and dial in that wedge that is easier to hit with your game/swing. If there is room in the bag keep it there. Its like a condom, better to have it and not need it, then to need it one day and not have it.

Play PXG all the way through the bag and an Odessey OS Seven putter with Callaway Triple Track

My most accurate is Mizuno S5  a 52 deg 9 bounce.  As other noted, I use a 60 but not for full swing, I sometimes double hit it.  I am more accurate using the 52 deg on a less-than-full compared to a full swing on the lob 60.  Bounce is important, match bounce to the turf/lie.  Don't blame the loft if the bounce is wrong for the lie you are looking at.  And yes, hours and hours practice.  Twilight, on the back nine, nobody behind me, I wear out the rough 10 yards from the fringe 12th hole hitting 3 or 4 balls until just before they lock the gates.  Just me and the foxes and coyotes.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I'm actually considering dropping my 54 deg.

Inside 50y its my Callaway 58 deg PM Grind all the way, now that i've got used to it, it just feels like a weapon and i can hit any shot with it from that range in or out of the sand.

50y and out i'll quite happily choke down on either my 50 or 54 and zip one in low so its only really the yardage difference between the 50 and 54 on full shots for the reason to have both clubs in the bag. Originally my 54 was a bunker club with higher bounce as i tend to sweep so prefer a lower bounce for greenside. Since i got the PM tho it just feels so much easier out of the bunker and i've learned to use the bounce to my advantage and basically can be less precise on strike and still get good results.

So i may drop to 3 wedges and have a 6deg gapping between PW/GW/LW and look at my numbers with a 52 deg gap wedge.

Would be nice if it worked out as i really want a strong 3w in the bag for those days where the driver is not playing or safety off the tee during comps should i need it.

Edited by JayB

Driver - Callaway Maverick Sub-zero 9* Aldila 60 Rogue White(S)

Fairway - Cobra Speedzone 5W 17* MCA Tensai 65 AV Blue(S)

Hybrids - Ping G410 19*/23* Ping Alta CB 70 Red(S)

Irons - Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Nippon NS Pro 950 GH(S)

Wedges - Mizuno T20 50/07 (S Grind) NS Pro 950GH(S)

MIzuno T20 54/12 (M Grind) NS Pro 950GH(S)

Callaway PM Grind 19 58* KBS High Rev 2.0

Putter - Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

There are no right or wrong answers in this thread so long as decisions on what to carry are based on actual date (some sort of tracking of shots) rather than perceived strengths and weaknesses.  

Each of us plays under different conditions and we each have different strengths and weaknesses.  I'm pretty confident that the proper set make up for me if I played most of my golf in Scottsdale AZ would be a bit different than it is in St Petersburg, Florida and different still if I lived in Denver.  

I carry a 60 - although at times I drop it during the winter for something else - when the rough is down and the course is firm so that bump and runs are doable.  Shot scope says I'm quite good with it too.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD