TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Lob Wedge

Shankster

I carry a high-bounce 52° and a low-bounce 58°. Pretty much everything from 100 yards and in I use the 52°, with 3 exceptions - from the sand, when I'm short-sided, and when I need to get over trees. Going with the higher bounce for the 52° gives me more confidence and a larger margin of error on full and 3/4 shots, and I feel like I'm throwing darts with that thing. The lower bounce on the 58° gives me more room to open up the face when I need to make an awkward shot, and the full face grooves help too.

Could I get away without using the 58°? In the past it would've saved me strokes, but now that I make a more conscious effort to avoid using it unless I absolutely have to I've avoided losing strokes from using it when I shouldn't, and when I do need it it's available to me.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

On 8/19/2021 at 5:31 PM, CarlH said:

While I carry a 60, I limit use of it to those times when I particularly need to go high from short shots, although I will use it quite often when the sand is a bit firm or wet.  I much prefer using a 56 or even my 52 or 48  for shots inside of 100 yards.  I just feel that I have better control with partial swings with these clubs than a fuller swing with a 60.

I only carry and use a 60 because there's room in my bag, otherwise I'd be carrying 13 clubs. My 56 is high bounce for sand, and my 60 is low bounce and I only use it when I'm short sided over a trap or other hazard. It takes some focus as hitting a 60 thin is a disaster of course, don't ask how I know...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

SIM2 max PW, AW (49*/9* bounce) and Volkey 54-10 and 260-12. Considering switching the Volkey’s to increase bounce on the 54* and decrease bounce On the 60* to 4*. I have been trying to use the 60* more for the close in shots that need to fly but that requires practice- I have hit some really close but very inconsistent! I may decide to work more with the 54* to open it up to make these shots. OR maybe I should drop the 60 as you suggest and replace the 54 with a 56*! Good discussion. 

Driver :ping-small: G400 SFT 9

3 Wood :ping-small: G400

4 Hybrid :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

Irons :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 5-AW

Wedges :vokey-small: 254/10, 260/12

Putter :ping-small: Anser 2 Cadence

Ball :taylormade-small:Tour Response

Bag Stitch SL2, :Arccos:

I carry the 50/54/58 set and the 58 is usually my go-to wedge. Second set in this configuration. Two sets ago was 52/56/60 and I never cared for the 60. Use what works for you. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I have came up with a system that I plan to utilize when looking at pitch shots.  

First: no more full shots with the 54 or 58.  Unless absolutely necessary.

Second: If there is no reason to go “Phil mode” I’m not going to.  The 48° is becoming my favorite wedge from the 65-100 yard range. The 20-65 yard range will probably see the 54 get the work load.

Third: If the 54 will not land steep enough, the 58 will be used.

Fourth: Bunker shots will likely see the 58 see the brunt of the action, around the green.

Pretty much always use the 58 from a green side bunker. Have considered a high toe recently, especially the new callaway, but will wait to see what Titleist do next year 🙂

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Love my 58*, and after my Cobra 3-wood it's my favorite club  

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I go back and forth on this.  I carry a 60* on occasion, but its really just a specialty club, for very short shots around the greens and shorter bunker shots.  When carrying the 60, I'll also have a 55 in the bag that gets most of the work.

Most of the time, I'm carrying a 58* in the bag.  To my way of thinking, this is a SW, not a lob.  The other non-PW club is a 52 or 53 in this bag configuration.

None of these clubs merits a full swing for me. It's not something I do effectively, so I've given up on it.

Because I'm not averse to opening a SW, I'm giving thought to dropping the 58* in favor of a 56*.  I may play my next couple rounds with 2-pw and a 56.  Experiments!

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Hey, NRJyzer!  Is the PM19 on the auction block? I'm still playing them, and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm trying a variety of shots with them, and digging the hell out of playing them. I'm hooked on 54º and 58º. No more 56º/60º in my bag. 

Interesting comments about not taking  full swing with them. I recently read something by Butch Harmon " if you have a 58º wedge and can't hit it 58 yards, get rid of it". I thought that was really interesting, in light of the fact I didn't take a full swing with any lob wedge, ever. Next round I had about 55 - 60 yards and I thought of that and tried it. Well, it went about 70 yards high and straight. and just fell out of the sky with very little roll or spin. I've tried it couple more times with varying results. I'll only hit it if the conditions are right - clean fairway lie, little wind. It's actually kind of fun. You should try it. I'm guessing you'll hit it about 110 🙂.

I find it works well out of sand on short high shot, too.

15 minutes ago, JalanK said:

Hey, NRJyzer!  Is the PM19 on the auction block? I'm still playing them, and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm trying a variety of shots with them, and digging the hell out of playing them. I'm hooked on 54º and 58º. No more 56º/60º in my bag. 

Interesting comments about not taking  full swing with them. I recently read something by Butch Harmon " if you have a 58º wedge and can't hit it 58 yards, get rid of it". I thought that was really interesting, in light of the fact I didn't take a full swing with any lob wedge, ever. Next round I had about 55 - 60 yards and I thought of that and tried it. Well, it went about 70 yards high and straight. and just fell out of the sky with very little roll or spin. I've tried it couple more times with varying results. I'll only hit it if the conditions are right - clean fairway lie, little wind. It's actually kind of fun. You should try it. I'm guessing you'll hit it about 110 🙂.

I find it works well out of sand on short high shot, too.

The PM19 is sticking around, still gets played.  I have been going back and forth with it and a Wilson Staff 58.

Some of it is shaft related; have Dynamic in the Wilson.  It's an old shaft that was in my 55* Tom Watson Ram SW.   😀

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

47º set matching PW.

53º middle wedge with perimeter weighting and medium bounce.

58º short wedge with almost NO bounce.

Specialty sand only wedge.

That lineup works for me as well as any.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, John W Sutch said:

Attended a Harvey Pennick short game clinic this past spring. Their philosophy is that the average golfer doesn't need a wedge with more than 56 degrees of loft. From my experience I tend to agree.

The 56º sand wedge usually has at least 10º of bounce and often 12 or even 14º.  You can't get the leading edge all the way down with shots played forward in the stance.  You have to deloft the club with your hands way in front of the ball. 

I know that people play greenside finesse shots this way.

I also know that they get the ball on the ground where I like to play golf up in the air.    

In Texas in particular, where the ground is probably more hard than plush, I would think that the low bounce / high loft wedge would be ideal.  But I've never played there so I'm just speculating.

I definitely need a low bounce / high loft finesse wedge, and i have since they became popular in the late 70s when I was a golf newbie.  Better players than I would disagree, however, so in the end, it becomes another one of those different strokes situations.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, John W Sutch said:

Attended a Harvey Pennick short game clinic this past spring. Their philosophy is that the average golfer doesn't need a wedge with more than 56 degrees of loft. From my experience I tend to agree.

If I didn't have my 60º I would be a below average golfer.  Each of us is different in how we play the game.

10 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

The 56º sand wedge usually has at least 10º of bounce and often 12 or even 14º.  You can't get the leading edge all the way down with shots played forward in the stance.  You have to deloft the club with your hands way in front of the ball. 

I know that people play greenside finesse shots this way.

I also know that they get the ball on the ground where I like to play golf up in the air.    

In Texas in particular, where the ground is probably more hard than plush, I would think that the low bounce / high loft wedge would be ideal.  But I've never played there so I'm just speculating.

I definitely need a low bounce / high loft finesse wedge, and i have since they became popular in the late 70s when I was a golf newbie.  Better players than I would disagree, however, so in the end, it becomes another one of those different strokes situations.  

I can play my 60º with 12º of bounce off hard pan.  About 3-4 times a year I play that wedge off our #4 green because the design of the green is such that there is a 3 feet mound of rough between the front left and back parts of the green.  I bruise the green, but don't take a divot.  Did it last weekend and made par.  Bounce is my friend.  I would be fearful of playing a low bounce wedge off most any lie, especially that green!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If I didn't have my 60º I would be a below average golfer.  Each of us is different in how we play the game.

I can play my 60º with 12º of bounce off hard pan.  About 3-4 times a year I play that wedge off our #4 green because the design of the green is such that there is a 3 feet mound of rough between the front left and back parts of the green.  I bruise the green, but don't take a divot.  Did it last weekend and made par.  Bounce is my friend.  I would be fearful of playing a low bounce wedge off most any lie, especially that green!!

Well there we have it, Kenny.

You know how to do it and I don't.  

I've gone low bounce for so long, that's it's unlikely to change now.

I still don't understand how you can do it without delofting the club, or maybe you are delofting the club but it doesn't matter for the type of shot you play.  The important thing is that you appear to know how to do it.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

3 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Well there we have it, Kenny.

You know how to do it and I don't.  

I've gone low bounce for so long, that's it's unlikely to change now.

I still don't understand how you can do it without delofting the club, or maybe you are delofting the club but it doesn't matter for the type of shot you play.  The important thing is that you appear to know how to do it.

Each of us has different skills, learned by necessity from where we play.  I can't tell you how I do it, except that I do NOT open the wedge up.  I just know that it took a lot of practice.  My lob wedge has a C-Grind which certainly helps.  I am much better at it with this wedge than any of my old wedges, and it's my goto wedge anywhere around the green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Each of us has different skills, learned by necessity from where we play.  I can't tell you how I do it, except that I do NOT open the wedge up.  I just know that it took a lot of practice.  My lob wedge has a C-Grind which certainly helps.  I am much better at it with this wedge than any of my old wedges, and it's my goto wedge anywhere around the green.

And Tiger plays high bounce in his wedges 56-12 and 60-11. Love his wedges from TM. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And Tiger plays high bounce in his wedges 56-12 and 60-11. Love his wedges from TM. 

Tiger and I have a lot in common!!  🤣  

I learned my putting practice from Tiger too;  one-hand putting with the right hand.

16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Tiger and I have a lot in common!!  🤣  

I learned my putting practice from Tiger too;  one-hand putting with the right hand.

He’s has some good drills. Love watching videos of him talking about how he approaches shots. The videos on TM YouTube when they other pros are asking him how he hits certain shots or what he’s thinking to hit a shot are pure gold.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Shankster said:

Today, I came to the realization that I do not need a lob wedge.

So Shankster - along these lines... say for argument sake that you pull the 58 out.... what would you add - or would you go would you go with 13 (which I will forever forward call the "Hogwarts Setup" after reading this post 😉 ).

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:24 AM, Headhammer said:

Love my 58*, and after my Cobra 3-wood it's my favorite club  

I mean, I can understand why you'd love nailing a great flop or bunker shot with your 3 wood. That's just a little out of my skill range, so I'll stick with the 58. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Shankster said:

Today, I came to the realization that I do not need a lob wedge.  After the round started to smell bad, I mad it into a practice round.

I hit some 50 yard shots with a 54° and 58°… the 54° was premo, the 58° would have cost me a stroke for sure.  Hit the stick twice with the 54°… 

I might go back to a 52°/56° set up.  With a M grind I can turn the 56° into a 65° if needed.

I JUST CAME TO THIS REALIZATION EARLY LAST WEEK! After losing several strokes from using the lob wedge, I went out last week and vowed not to take it out of the bag, my 54 M is all I need now. I am now invincible 

I went to the high loft / low bounce lob wedge just about as soon as it was introduced in the late seventies.

For me, it was a break through. For others, it's been a waste of time.

When I find myself turning my back to a club, it's usually the driver.

I'm bagging it to hit on just a few holes right now, but I could live without it.

I'm down to a 300cc model.

Without the lob wedge, my uselessness as a "get it on the ground" chipper is exposed and my scores swell accordingly. i also do a flop wedge, loft wise, but for me, it's too bouncy to use for that. It's my sand wedge in actual practice.   Doesn't hit it close but always gets it out.

Edited by BostonSal

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Carry a 54 and 62.  I like LW for short sided situations. I use the 54 most of the time as the course I play is flat but there other course the LW has saved me a few shots especially with severe elevate greens  or really deep bunkers where I can’t see the pin 

I like to have toe relief as I use the toe bounce more as it guides much better the the heel. Heel digs and like more  degree of bounce In my 54 as I use that more for “standard” bunker play