The Lob Wedge

Shankster

15 minutes ago, JalanK said:

Hey, NRJyzer!  Is the PM19 on the auction block? I'm still playing them, and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm trying a variety of shots with them, and digging the hell out of playing them. I'm hooked on 54º and 58º. No more 56º/60º in my bag. 

Interesting comments about not taking  full swing with them. I recently read something by Butch Harmon " if you have a 58º wedge and can't hit it 58 yards, get rid of it". I thought that was really interesting, in light of the fact I didn't take a full swing with any lob wedge, ever. Next round I had about 55 - 60 yards and I thought of that and tried it. Well, it went about 70 yards high and straight. and just fell out of the sky with very little roll or spin. I've tried it couple more times with varying results. I'll only hit it if the conditions are right - clean fairway lie, little wind. It's actually kind of fun. You should try it. I'm guessing you'll hit it about 110 🙂.

I find it works well out of sand on short high shot, too.

The PM19 is sticking around, still gets played.  I have been going back and forth with it and a Wilson Staff 58.

Some of it is shaft related; have Dynamic in the Wilson.  It's an old shaft that was in my 55* Tom Watson Ram SW.   😀

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5" -or- King LTD, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; TBD iron set, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5, Kirkland Signature 3pc v2

47º set matching PW.

53º middle wedge with perimeter weighting and medium bounce.

58º short wedge with almost NO bounce.

Specialty sand only wedge.

That lineup works for me as well as any.  

Attended a Harvey Pennick short game clinic this past spring. Their philosophy is that the average golfer doesn't need a wedge with more than 56 degrees of loft. From my experience I tend to agree.

• Like 1

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

2 hours ago, John W Sutch said:

Attended a Harvey Pennick short game clinic this past spring. Their philosophy is that the average golfer doesn't need a wedge with more than 56 degrees of loft. From my experience I tend to agree.

The 56º sand wedge usually has at least 10º of bounce and often 12 or even 14º.  You can't get the leading edge all the way down with shots played forward in the stance.  You have to deloft the club with your hands way in front of the ball. 

I know that people play greenside finesse shots this way.

I also know that they get the ball on the ground where I like to play golf up in the air.    

In Texas in particular, where the ground is probably more hard than plush, I would think that the low bounce / high loft wedge would be ideal.  But I've never played there so I'm just speculating.

I definitely need a low bounce / high loft finesse wedge, and i have since they became popular in the late 70s when I was a golf newbie.  Better players than I would disagree, however, so in the end, it becomes another one of those different strokes situations.  

2 hours ago, John W Sutch said:

If I didn't have my 60º I would be a below average golfer.  Each of us is different in how we play the game.

10 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

The 56º sand wedge usually has at least 10º of bounce and often 12 or even 14º.  You can't get the leading edge all the way down with shots played forward in the stance.  You have to deloft the club with your hands way in front of the ball. 

I know that people play greenside finesse shots this way.

I also know that they get the ball on the ground where I like to play golf up in the air.    

In Texas in particular, where the ground is probably more hard than plush, I would think that the low bounce / high loft wedge would be ideal.  But I've never played there so I'm just speculating.

I definitely need a low bounce / high loft finesse wedge, and i have since they became popular in the late 70s when I was a golf newbie.  Better players than I would disagree, however, so in the end, it becomes another one of those different strokes situations.  

I can play my 60º with 12º of bounce off hard pan.  About 3-4 times a year I play that wedge off our #4 green because the design of the green is such that there is a 3 feet mound of rough between the front left and back parts of the green.  I bruise the green, but don't take a divot.  Did it last weekend and made par.  Bounce is my friend.  I would be fearful of playing a low bounce wedge off most any lie, especially that green!!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If I didn't have my 60º I would be a below average golfer.  Each of us is different in how we play the game.

I can play my 60º with 12º of bounce off hard pan.  About 3-4 times a year I play that wedge off our #4 green because the design of the green is such that there is a 3 feet mound of rough between the front left and back parts of the green.  I bruise the green, but don't take a divot.  Did it last weekend and made par.  Bounce is my friend.  I would be fearful of playing a low bounce wedge off most any lie, especially that green!!

Well there we have it, Kenny.

You know how to do it and I don't.  

I've gone low bounce for so long, that's it's unlikely to change now.

I still don't understand how you can do it without delofting the club, or maybe you are delofting the club but it doesn't matter for the type of shot you play.  The important thing is that you appear to know how to do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Well there we have it, Kenny.

You know how to do it and I don't.  

I've gone low bounce for so long, that's it's unlikely to change now.

I still don't understand how you can do it without delofting the club, or maybe you are delofting the club but it doesn't matter for the type of shot you play.  The important thing is that you appear to know how to do it.

Each of us has different skills, learned by necessity from where we play.  I can't tell you how I do it, except that I do NOT open the wedge up.  I just know that it took a lot of practice.  My lob wedge has a C-Grind which certainly helps.  I am much better at it with this wedge than any of my old wedges, and it's my goto wedge anywhere around the green.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Each of us has different skills, learned by necessity from where we play.  I can't tell you how I do it, except that I do NOT open the wedge up.  I just know that it took a lot of practice.  My lob wedge has a C-Grind which certainly helps.  I am much better at it with this wedge than any of my old wedges, and it's my goto wedge anywhere around the green.

And Tiger plays high bounce in his wedges 56-12 and 60-11. Love his wedges from TM. 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

And Tiger plays high bounce in his wedges 56-12 and 60-11. Love his wedges from TM. 

Tiger and I have a lot in common!!  🤣  

I learned my putting practice from Tiger too;  one-hand putting with the right hand.

16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Tiger and I have a lot in common!!  🤣  

I learned my putting practice from Tiger too;  one-hand putting with the right hand.

He’s has some good drills. Love watching videos of him talking about how he approaches shots. The videos on TM YouTube when they other pros are asking him how he hits certain shots or what he’s thinking to hit a shot are pure gold.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Shankster said:

Today, I came to the realization that I do not need a lob wedge.

So Shankster - along these lines... say for argument sake that you pull the 58 out.... what would you add - or would you go would you go with 13 (which I will forever forward call the "Hogwarts Setup" after reading this post 😉 ).

• PXG 0811X Proto Driver - Evenflow Riptide 60
  • PXG 0311 Proto 3W - Evenflow Riptide 60
  • Mizuno MP68 3-PW DGS300
  • Nike V-Forged 52 &56
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty Black 61
  • Mizuno M Craft II White Satin Putter 
  • Snell MTB-X and Snell MTB Black

On 8/30/2021 at 7:24 AM, Headhammer said:

Love my 58*, and after my Cobra 3-wood it's my favorite club  

I mean, I can understand why you'd love nailing a great flop or bunker shot with your 3 wood. That's just a little out of my skill range, so I'll stick with the 58. 

• Haha 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.