TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are you doing with the '21 Ball test data?

TBS

great post!... Maybe you guys can help me a little.

I know the ball is one of the most important pieces of equipment, so any help works.  i hit the ball low, with little spin. I went to a fitting center and my 6 iron was only spinning 3300-4500. i know this is way low and its hard for me to hold greens. i play srixon z585 irons with NIPPON MODUS 3 105 SHAFTs. my swing speed is up to par and my carry is 180ish, but i need spin to get the height i need. any ball advice? i was thinking taylor made tp5 because of spin, but tp5x is supposed to have more height. Thanks for any help.

8 minutes ago, Flebix said:

great post!... Maybe you guys can help me a little.

I know the ball is one of the most important pieces of equipment, so any help works.  i hit the ball low, with little spin. I went to a fitting center and my 6 iron was only spinning 3300-4500. i know this is way low and its hard for me to hold greens. i play srixon z585 irons with NIPPON MODUS 3 105 SHAFTs. my swing speed is up to par and my carry is 180ish, but i need spin to get the height i need. any ball advice? i was thinking taylor made tp5 because of spin, but tp5x is supposed to have more height. Thanks for any help.

Max spin would be Kirkland.   But, i don't think any ball is going to get you in a good range spin wise.  Your distance is probably the result of the low spin that you are seeing.    I'd work on swing to get more spin loft.     https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-loft/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I sorted through the DtC balls. I’ve been playing Oncore Elixr. They advertise the Vero X1 for high swing speeds but it seems like a ball I can hit with the indicated compression. I just got a dozen to try on course. 

Sub 70 irons and wedges. Epic Flash sub zero driver and 3 metal. Callaway rescue 18 and 22 degree. 

I have been poring over the info which has been very time consuming. I have narrowed down my selections of golf balls down to 3 possibles of which I currently have been playing for the last couple of years. As I am approaching 80, obviously my swing speed has decreased significantly. I am currently playing the Bridgestone BRXS and the Srixon Q Star Tour. I like both balls and I don't think many more options are going to significantly increase my distance. The outlier ball that I am going to try is the MG C4. The results seemed relatively comparable both the Srixon and Bridgestone and in some cases they were actually longer. I will a couple dozen and just see what types of results I can get.

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

I have tried several of the balls from the test in 2019.  I am a senior with a ball speed of 80-85 and hit the Callaway Epic driver.   When I read the test and saw 

that a tour ball was getting great distance with a slow swing speed then I thought I would give it a try.  I tried the Bridgeston Tour Bx balls and found them to 

give me the best overall distance.  My score has dropped almost 6 strokes due to distance gain, less dispersion on iron shots and the ball seems to stop alot faster 

on the green. The Bridgestone ball is also very durable. 

I also tried several of the Callaway balls, Taylormade,  Vice, and others to include Titlelist.  I really like the Titlelist Tour S, but they discontinued the ball and the new model

does not feel as good.    

Thanks MGS for doing the testing as it really helped my game. 

Driver : Callaway Epic 10.5 senior flex

FW.  Taylormade M3ti senior flex 3W

Callaway Epic sr. Flex 5W

Hybrid   Callaway GBB 3,5 Sr flex

Irons Mizuno 900 Hot metal sr flex 4 thru SW

Putter Callaway triple track mallet

I bought 6 boxes of MTBX's about a week before the results came out, my gamer. 

I was hoping to see the results first but 1. I was running low and 2. I couldn't get my hands on Snell's for a long time (In Canada) so I jumped on the order when I could. 

After seeing the results. Glad I did, nothing tells me otherwise. I am right inbetween the High and mid swing speed on the test and need a low spin ball. 

Maybe, maybe might try Srixon Zstar XV because they go on sale for a really nice price up here, but I doubt it. I really enjoy the Snell's and ppl's reaction when they have no clue what it is. I have converted a few ppl and find it fun. 

Price is a major factor for me, so Pro V's are out. 

Edited by Chadvb

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

3 wood - Mizuno 15 deg (@14) ST200 - Tensei Blue X flex

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

5 iron -  Mp18 MMC Fli Hi - Modus 105x - 7 iron length

Irons - (PW - 6) JPX 900 tour - Modus 105x (6 iron is 7 iron length) 

Wedges (50,55) - Vokey SM7

Wedge (60) Callaway PM Grind        

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

Still buying Srixon Q-Star Tour. Nice reference on balls, but everyone has their favorites.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Great idea for thread - thanks for starting!

I tend to hit the ball a little low and while I am always looking for driver yards, I want to try to find a sweet spot of higher launch/ more driver carry/ lower compression (I know Tony would not like me for saying that last bit). As an example, I really enjoy the feel of the prior gen TP5 (USA Pix), the prior gen AVX, and the OnCore Elixir. I have also enjoyed testing the Snell MTB-X and Black and the 2019 Maxfli Tour. I have kicked out the ProV1x, left dash, all Bridgestone models, Kirkland Signature (even though I love Costco!), and TP5x.

As a mid-swing speed player, I will investigate this year's results as follows: the new TP5, the Snell MTB Black, ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, and Vice Pro since those are suggestions from the MGS team for balls in the 80's compression range. The Maxfli and Vice Pro had relatively higher launching numbers and had some of the best carry distances for the compression range I prefer.

And I agree - this is my favorite report that the team does. I know they don't like to do it, so perhaps they should run a contest and if forum members would be willing to pay their way out to the testing site, perhaps MSG foots the hotel and food bill for a bunch of members to help out over the week. Perhaps 5-10 winners could be used to help relieve them. Just a thought to help out. I can imagine that even after one day, I would be glad to be finished, but at the same time, I gladly put up my hand to volunteer!

I'm intrigued by the Chrome Soft X LS... Based on the data for my mid swing speeds it is longer than the Pro V1 I usually play with similar spin numbers.  I'm gong to pick up a sleeve and alternate with the Pro V1 the next time I play and see if I like them.

FWIW - my brother and nephew play the AVX and they routinely outdrive me by 30 yards.  Hmmm.  I may try the AVX too... 🙂

Hammer Time!! with my Ping G410 LST Driver

😄 Delete my comment

Edited by MichaelJW

WITB; TM BRNR 13.5 driver, Cobra LTDX Max 3 and 5 woods, Snake Eyes 4 and 5 hybrids, Maltby STI2 irons, Callaway Jaws High toe 54, Cobra Agera Armlock Putter. Oncore Vero X1 balls in matte green. 

I love golf.  I study it to some degree.  probably more than the average 20 handicapper.

I think your golf ball test was a huge undertaking...possibly with unexpected results...  that you would publish

no matter what, because that is your mantra.  

I thank you for trying to test balls, in the best manner.  Obviously, you cannot please everybody !!!

How will I use the data?

Since I never buy new balls; just playing with what I find.... I play with all brands and models.

However with your data, I will pay more attention to balls that might be better suited to my game;

and save as many of them as possible, to use.

I actually have a hard time differentiating between balls...  only a few that seem very hard, that I usually don't 

play with.   and obviously certain balls, expecially used, will not perform as well.

But I still have fun with my friends, and don't blame any missed shots on the ball... it's on me.

Mike Wong

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

23 hours ago, TBS said:

The ball test in '19 is what drew me to MGS and I've loved going through the '21 data and discussing it on the Ball test thread. I wanted to start a new thread for everyone to share what they are going to do with the data they received. 

So, what is your next move after reviewing the '21 ball test data??

For me, I'm going to try out some of the Vice Pro and Pro Plus. I fall right in between Mid and high swing and although my current gamer Snell MTBX faired well, it was not a standout like last year. Although I think ProV1x left dash would be a good fit, I'm not willing to pay the price at this point, so I like to look at the more premium budget (DTC) options. I've posted this elsewhere but this ball test showed that you really need to find the ball that is best for you, your equipment, and your game. I think Big Box stores should start offering ball fittings for a small price that can be applied when you buy 2 or more boxes of balls. 

Great thread. I have tried several balls out this summer and was looking forward to the latest testing. I did a Vice sample box, The Snell sample box and the maxfli tour. I bought more of the Vice Pro Soft after looking at my notes and seeing the test results. I like the Snell as well and realize they are very different. My swing speed would seem to fit with the Pro Soft or Pro. I'm in search of my ball 🙂 . I do think the testing helps direct you. I am also not interested in paying for the Pro Vs.

TigerPill

Driver :   image.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max 10.5 Degrees

3 Wood/5 woodimage.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max

19 Degree Hybrid:image.png.5d38f343d0caf1092558753dc83992bd.png G425 

5-LW:   image.png.ddef8ede1026d2294f93865dffbbdf18.png  ZX5, Recoil 760/F3, GW, SW, LW - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putterimage.png.84b4d7270ae3f7c5fdd6efd713fa767d.png  Tri-Hot 5k Seven 

I have played Z Star, Pro-V and a bit of Bridgestone X for the last 10+ years.  This last season I have been playing the Maxfli Tour CG X.  After seeing the driver data (I am over 100 mph on driver but not near 115 so I went out and bought two boxes o of the Maxfli Tour CG.  The X rated way lower on distance (even though I was driving them considerably further than the Srixons and Pro-V's).  These are every bit as good as any other ball and the price......buy something cheap at Golf Galaxy, fill out the survey on the receipt to get $10 off your next purchase.  Buy two boxes of Maxflis for $60, throw on the coupon and you have two boxes of exceptional balls for $50.  That deal cannot be beat.

I have 110mph driver speed and have been playing various high compression balls in order to maximize my driver distance.  I have a high trajectory and I out drive all my buddies... but they usually have an easier time finding their balls.  I've also lost about 1 club of yardage in my irons over the past couple of years.  I just chalked it up to getting older...I'm 56. 

After seeing the latest ball test I had an epiphany.  The high compression balls only give you an advantage off the driver, as long as you put a good swing on it.  The irons are the equalizer.  The ball doesn't know what club is hitting it.  It only knows how hard it's being hit.  I went out and bought a dozen TM Tour Response and played 18 with them today.  My driver trajectory was lower, I hit more fairways, and my iron yardages are back to where they were before.  I shot 80 which included a quad bogey (I made a mess in a bunker).  This ball test is probably the best thing that's happened to my game since cavity back irons were invented.

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

Great test! However,as I am sure the disclosure was made, the test is not the be all end all. Everyone strikes the ball differently which will create different results for different players. I would fall in the mid swing speed and have been bouncing between the TM Tour Response, the TM TP5 and the B XS over the last few months. Off the tee and irons there is negligible difference between the three. Short game and around the green, the TP5 and Tour Response perform almost identical. The B XS has more short iron and green side spin. All three can be worked left to right, high to low and reduce or increase spin when needed. I have tried the B RX, B RXS, Z Star and Pro V1X. For me, the B RX/RXS are both short off the tee, inconsistent with the irons and green side spin is not up to par. The Pro V1X is a good ball, but does not offer anything the 3 aforementioned balls cannot do.  IMHO the B XS is the most complete ball for me. But, I will stick with the Tour Response due to the price point and the fact that all I am giving up is a small amount spin. Once again, great test and report.

:tour-edge: EXS 9.5 Tensei CK Blue (R)

:mizuno-small:ST180 3W Tensei CK Blue (R)

:tour-edge: CBX119 19*

:ping-small: I210 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 50* SS grind

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 54* & 58* both R grind

:odyssey-small: Protype Tour Series 3 

:ShotScope: V3 watch

:bridgestone-small:B XS or :taylormade-small: Tour Response

20 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

My neighbor’s boys go and find “lost” golf balls off of a course nearby and sells them for cheap to the neighborhood. I asked if they had any Vice golf balls in his stash. They said no one ever wants those and walked out with some Vice pro and pro plus. Will have to give these a try and see how they compare with my current gamer, Snell MTBx.

I have been playing the Snell MTB-X for the last few years, and it is still among my three favorite golf balls (along with the  2021Maxfli Tour X and OnCore VeroX1).  I would never have considered trying any recent Maxfli golf ball until I saw the results of the MGS 2019 Golf Ball Test.  When those results came out, I was intrigued and tried both the 2019 Maxfli Tour and Tour X.  Both were pretty nice, but didn't knock the MTB-X out of my bag. However, when I tried the 2021 Maxfli Tour and Tour X, the Tour X was (and IS) an absolute standout in every performance metric that matters to me (distance, feel, spin, consistency).

As for the OnCore balls, I had to try the Elixr when it came out a few years ago because OnCore Golf is a Buffalo, NY company and I am originally from Buffalo. The Elixr is pretty nice and performs well, but the Vero X1 is a whole different animal for me, and that animal is a beast!  My first 9-hole round that I played with the VeroX1, I didn't miss a fairway or green in regulation, and I shot a 3-under 32. I have had very good results with the VeroX1 since last summer when I first tried the prototype version of the ball (I am also an official OnCore tester, so take that as you please), and I find it to be particularly good in the wind, giving me the best control that I have ever seen from a golf ball on extra windy days.

Dean Snell would probably be disappointed to read this, but right now I am torn between the Maxfli Tour X and the OnCore VeroX1 as my #1 golf ball.  The MTB-X is still a very good ball, and I still occasionally play them, but the other two balls have been battling it out for the prime spot in my bag for the last three months (about 40 to 45 rounds of golf).

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

1 hour ago, skiguy327 said:

I'm intrigued by the Chrome Soft X LS... Based on the data for my mid swing speeds it is longer than the Pro V1 I usually play with similar spin numbers.  I'm gong to pick up a sleeve and alternate with the Pro V1 the next time I play and see if I like them.

FWIW - my brother and nephew play the AVX and they routinely outdrive me by 30 yards.  Hmmm.  I may try the AVX too... 🙂

My range has a special on the Chrome Soft going on, and I think it's everywhere. But a dozen and get a two ball sleeve for free. Play the sleeve, and if you don't like them return the dozen for a full refund. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Oddly enough, I've always been conscious of the ball I play both playability and feel.  Back in the 60's I played Top Flights. Through today as I play the Left Dash. I decided on the Left Dash beginning of summer and the 2021 ball data only confirms what I've always felt or believed.  Not only is the premium ball better in most ways but as MGS has determined by looking at the actual price of each ball.  The consistency of the ball throughout the box of 12.  I'm not supposed to hit the Left Dash that long because of my swing speed (95 to 98mph) BUT!  I hit it as far as any ball right now and I LOVE the feel and action I get on the greens.  But again, let me thank all of MGS for performing this test.  A 30 minute read and MONTHS of brain fodder.

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

I enjoy looking ad data and analyzing my game. I enjoy the analysis of my game and the game in general quite a bit. The first thing I did after looking at the data was schedule a virtual golf fitting with Titleist. 

My typical gamer ball is the Kirkland signature and callaway hex tour. This is due to price because I’m a 20+ hcp, and I lose about a sleeve per round. However, I have played with TP5s and ProV1s before that I’ve gotten as gifts from family. I will say that I tend to play more conservative and score slightly better when using premium balls. I attribute that to loss aversion because that stops me from trying to carry 200yds+ of water with my 5w. 

The data showed how spinny the Kirkland balls are, and I had already noticed that when I took a sleeve of them to a PGA SS. The backspin with my driver was 3500+.  The courses where I live are pretty windy, and high spinny drives are not a good shot. I will use this data to select a ball with a with a penetrating flight and lower spin. 

Anyone else looking forward something similar that has some suggestions?

• Driver Cobra Radspeed 10.5. Stiff HZRDS Smoke Yellow
  • 3W Cabra F8+ 14.5
  • 5W Cobra F8+ 17.5
  • Irons TM RocketBladez 4i-P
  • Wedges Kirkland Signature 52@50, 56@55, and 60
  • Putter KS1

I like to look at data so I filtered out balls that I would never use and ended up with 10 possible balls.  I filtered the chart to my slow swing speed specs and entered the data into a spreadsheet.  The results are not overwhelming which tells me that just about any of the 10 balls would do the job.  I was hoping for dispersion or shot area for each ball which might have help to bring the winner to the top of the pile.  Still looking over the numbers....

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

It appears to me that the golf ball manufacturers have taken note of your 2019 golf ball analysis and have made improvements in their ball quality/manufacturing processes.  

MGS is having a positive impact on the quality of new ball offerings  -  THANK YOU!

WITB  -  Mizuno driver and irons and EVNROLL putter or SEEMORE putter depending on the day.

I have been a supporter of Maxfli before Dicks and now with Dicks. The second test again showed them at the top of the pack but I already knew this. The Tour is the better ball of the two. Never cared for Titleist but always test stuff for the knowledge. Played the left dash and loved it test confirmed they play pretty much the same. The new Maxfli out this year is even better and the test confirmed that. Dicks runs a deal two dozen for $60. Have converted a lot I mean a lot over to Maxfli. A week ago I had finally one person that didn’t take to the ball. No ball is for everybody but the test is great for giving you a small window to experiment with versus a big window. The Maxfli pros are

Cost

Distance

Spin - Do not over spin tend to hit and sit

Quality

Perfect flight

Con - Do not contract pros to play and name exposure not like big boys 

This is a big boys ball right along side the Titleist left dash both balls awesome. You have the option to save or spend more bucks. 

Well, first I'm going to play my way through the 7+ dozen balls in my closet that are mostly e12 and Duo Soft, with some QST mixed in. 

Then I'll probably pick up some MTB Blacks. Because hopefully by the time those 7+ dozen balls are gone, my driver has completely straightened out and I'm not losing a sleeve+ of balls off the tee. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

12 hours ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

I like to look at data so I filtered out balls that I would never use and ended up with 10 possible balls.  I filtered the chart to my slow swing speed specs and entered the data into a spreadsheet.  The results are not overwhelming which tells me that just about any of the 10 balls would do the job.  I was hoping for dispersion or shot area for each ball which might have help to bring the winner to the top of the pile.  Still looking over the numbers....

Ii did the same thing as you with the spreadsheet. I am 67 yrs old and have been playing since I was 9. I am a golf ball snob. I play the Titleist ProV1x based on the 2019 test.  I purchased 4 dozen in 2019 and still have a dozen left and when they are gone I may try the Bridgestone B RX and the B RXS.  I like the feel of a softer ball. The Titleist Tour Speed felt good too.

STZ230 Driver w/Ventus TR Blue 5R, Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW,  T7 Mizuno SW - 56 and LW - 60, Srixon F85 3W 15*, 5W Mizuno STX 18*, CLK -3 Hybrid 21*. Putter L.A.B. Golf DF2.1 Red. 

Prov1x & TM TP5x 2024