TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Tour Championship

RDel90

So less than 2 weeks away from the Tour Championship at East Lake. My company is located pretty close to there so we have VIP passes all week. Starting with the Charity round on Wendnesday and then teeing off at 7:30am each day at various local courses before heading over to East Lake for the afternoon for rounds 1-4. I'll try and share as many pictures as I can take!! Any fellow Spies going to be there? 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I for one am still exhausted having watched the BMW to its conclusion.  It will be tough for the Tour Championship to top that level of overall play and record setting finish.  The flurry of position shuffling has been incredible to watch.  Several players seemingly rising from the ashes to make it into the top 30. So here we are at the finish line, East Lake in Atlanta, GA.  Who will take home the chump change $15,000,000 check from the $60,000,000 purse? 

Tour Championship: Dustin Johnson wins first FedEx Cup

Here is the list of horses and where they will start score wise off #1 tee.  DJ starts 7 back of the leader and will need a virtual out of body level of play to make up the gap.  To be completely honest, I have never liked the bonus score format and would rather see them do away with it.  What are your thoughts on this?

image.png.5e6fa3910902eda7de4cbbc5b69ee404.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Still don’t understand why the leader starts way ahead of the pack.  This ain’t  NASCAR.

I agree that was a terrible move. I would like to see a cumulative three-tournament score be the winner of the Tour Championship. Keep the Fedex points to determine the 30 who qualify, but of those 30, the combined score of the three playoff events is the winner. 

44 minutes ago, LICC said:

I agree that was a terrible move. I would like to see a cumulative three-tournament score be the winner of the Tour Championship. Keep the Fedex points to determine the 30 who qualify, but of those 30, the combined score of the three playoff events is the winner. 

Why limit it to 30? 70 across the board for the playoffs, no cut.  

More reason for the worldwide tour.  A WGC type event playoff… that would be fun.  A lot of the same guys would be there anyways.

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

More reason for the worldwide tour.  A WGC type event playoff… that would be fun.  A lot of the same guys would be there anyways.

I like the idea of having to advance through each round in a playoff format. Maybe 40 instead of 30 make it to the last round. Whatever the number, it is the cumulative scoring that I think would be good.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

So what about like our fantasy Golf playoffs? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Use the current FedEx points playoff as the “play in” to get to the Tour Championship. Then seed the top 16 and go March Madness style in match play for the championship. Losers go in a consolation bracket like FF to fully round out the final standings. 

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

5 hours ago, RDel90 said:

Use the current FedEx points playoff as the “play in” to get to the Tour Championship. Then seed the top 16 and go March Madness style in match play for the championship. Losers go in a consolation bracket like FF to fully round out the final standings. 

That'd be an interesting twist.  If you end up attending, shoot the thread some almost live, on-site fan shots so we can all feel just a wee bit closer to actually being there.  Selfie's as a player passes close behind you earns extra points... mind you they are worth absolutely nothing, but points nevertheless 🙂

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That'd be an interesting twist.  If you end up attending, shoot the thread some almost live, on-site fan shots so we can all feel just a wee bit closer to actually being there.  Selfie's as a player passes close behind you earns extra points... mind you they are worth absolutely nothing, but points nevertheless 🙂

Imagine if you wound up with a Bryson-Brooksy matchup! We'll see how many selfies bombs I can get.

15 hours ago, RDel90 said:

The TV networks would never go for this. 

44 minutes ago, LICC said:

The TV networks would never go for this. 

The TV networks can you know what.  Along with the “governing bodies”, I read a good chunk of the distance report last night.  

All of it coincides with people working out more and getting faster after Tiger went nuts… a little common sense here, going from persimmon to 460cc in just a few years… eventually someone was going to figure out how to make the most of it.  Same with long putters, leave them alone. Let’s handicap the game even more… especially if you do have a physical condition that you need a long putter, or whatever.

Time to get with the times USGA.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

The TV networks can you know what.  Along with the “governing bodies”, I read a good chunk of the distance report last night.  

All of it coincides with people working out more and getting faster after Tiger went nuts… a little common sense here, going from persimmon to 460cc in just a few years… eventually someone was going to figure out how to make the most of it.  Same with long putters, leave them alone. Let’s handicap the game even more… especially if you do have a physical condition that you need a long putter, or whatever.

A little off topic, but working out has nothing to do with it. Distance gains are from equipment technology. Also, the USGA has nothing to do with the Tour Championship format. 

As to the TV networks, they pay the bills. Match play would have too much risk of the stars not playing on Sunday, too much dead air time as only two groups are out, and an early finish. I think cumulative three tournament scoring is the best solution. 

Edited by LICC

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yep,  I also see videos of people using 20 year old equipment(balls and clubs) and still hitting it 300 yards.   The distance is largely from the fact that people swing the clubs faster.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, LICC said:

A little off topic, but working out has nothing to do with it. Distance gains are from equipment technology. Also, the USGA has nothing to do with the Tour Championship format. 

As to the TV networks, they pay the bills. Match play would have too much risk of the stars not playing on Sunday, too much dead air time as only two groups are out, and an early finish. I think cumulative three tournament scoring is the best solution. 

Yes, technology played a part, but it went from like 10 to 1000 quickly. The USGA regulates equipment, so they do play a little part.

Working out definitely played a part though. Maybe not lifting weights, but in general the clubs get swung faster.

Not trying to be a jerk.  Just a friendly conversation regarding this sport.

10 hours ago, LICC said:

A little off topic, but working out has nothing to do with it. Distance gains are from equipment technology. 

As long as equipment includes launch monitors and not just clubs and balls...

People didn't even understand launch and spin properly in the recent past. The bulk of distance gains on tour could be attributed to the difference in hitting down with driver versus a couple degrees up. If you don't think physical training contributes - go look up Martin Borgmeier. It's not his new driver allowing him to hit 400+ yards carry.

Knowledge is cumulative and exercise science is an area of rapid development, especially with the money flowing into the sport since Tiger. The genie is out of the bottle now, speed is going to take off in the next 5 years. Tiger pushed a step change evolution we are just seeing now around general fitness. Bryson and Mark Broadie are about to push the next one coupled with instant feedback on launch monitors. 

There is going to be a lot of Wilco Nienaber's on tour in another 5 years. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

People didn't even understand launch and spin properly in the recent past. The bulk of distance gains on tour could be attributed to the difference in hitting down with driver versus a couple degrees up. If you don't think physical training contributes - go look up Martin Borgmeier. It's not his new driver allowing him to hit 400+ yards carry.

Knowledge is cumulative and exercise science is an area of rapid development, especially with the money flowing into the sport since Tiger. The genie is out of the bottle now, speed is going to take off in the next 5 years. Tiger pushed a step change evolution we are just seeing now around general fitness. Bryson and Mark Broadie are about to push the next one coupled with instant feedback on launch monitors. 

I remember reading somewhere that not long ago engineers are PING felt that low launch high spin was the way to go for maximum distance. Now it's the exact opposite.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

So initial teaser….when not actually in the rounds, posting up at a coworkers house across from the 12th green. Not saying it will happen during the tourney, but I do know balls have been hit from the front yard onto the green. About 90 yards across the street.

E804B9F8-A6FE-47D5-AF31-92750EF5EA94.jpeg

DA59968E-039A-4D2D-8515-1C080354A846.jpeg

19 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Yes, I agree- all of the equipment advances have contributed. Players are able to swing differently (more aggressively) today than decades ago because of the equipment. 

When it comes to the PGA Tour, IMO physical training contributes hardly anything to the distance gains.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:59 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Well, I for one am still exhausted having watched the BMW to its conclusion.  It will be tough for the Tour Championship to top that level of overall play and record setting finish.  The flurry of position shuffling has been incredible to watch.  Several players seemingly rising from the ashes to make it into the top 30. So here we are at the finish line, East Lake in Atlanta, GA.  Who will take home the chump change $15,000,000 check from the $60,000,000 purse? 

Tour Championship: Dustin Johnson wins first FedEx Cup

Here is the list of horses and where they will start score wise off #1 tee.  DJ starts 7 back of the leader and will need a virtual out of body level of play to make up the gap.  To be completely honest, I have never liked the bonus score format and would rather see them do away with it.  What are your thoughts on this?

image.png.5e6fa3910902eda7de4cbbc5b69ee404.png

Hate this!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, RDel90 said:

So initial teaser….when not actually in the rounds, posting up at a coworkers house across from the 12th green. Not saying it will happen during the tourney, but I do know balls have been hit from the front yard onto the green. About 90 yards across the street.

E804B9F8-A6FE-47D5-AF31-92750EF5EA94.jpeg

DA59968E-039A-4D2D-8515-1C080354A846.jpeg

Hope you have security in that area of Atlanta.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 hours ago, LICC said:

Yes, I agree- all of the equipment advances have contributed. Players are able to swing differently (more aggressively) today than decades ago because of the equipment. 

When it comes to the PGA Tour, IMO physical training contributes hardly anything to the distance gains.

Sooooo for Bryson's distance increase, what were the contributing factors to his 20 yard gain in driving distance from 2019 to 2020? Was it mostly using a driver from 2016? 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

3 hours ago, LICC said:

I personally believe Bryson shown meaningfully significant increased distance by increasing his muscle mass and changing his body style. Skinny Bryson wasn’t able to do the same things jacked Bryson was doing

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Hope you have security in that area of Atlanta.

Right on the edge of East Lake it is not bad. Very nice actually. 

So here are the teaser photos from the practice round today (didn’t watch much of the Charity Match).

Notable Notes:

First and Foremost DJ shaved his beard and went baby face!!

Rahm and Bryson played around together since they are paired anyways.

Xander was walking (little bent over with extra gold around his neck) with Cantlay.

Lots of practice out of the sand all over the course. 

FE5C3973-45BC-442A-9608-E81DF8BBB322.jpeg

772516D6-9370-4E9F-92A0-86592C4EFCAD.jpeg

124D57B7-03DC-49E7-882E-C6B432D45A06.jpeg

A544473E-B96E-4212-A4B9-CDF61ECEAE6B.jpeg

5E8C2C8C-47A8-42F9-A710-EFE7FFFEE87B.jpeg

897E2B3A-092F-47C3-B0D5-DA9B5A884902.jpeg

E651404F-5112-4159-9597-9385E0BFBB50.jpeg

A2D3D324-192C-4E36-8023-0797742ECEDC.jpeg

85A77521-3F52-43E8-805F-2E4D905AF89E.jpeg

A3F8A40F-A7FA-40A2-BB73-0E23BB542EA8.jpeg

DE6C3FD5-2F38-4BAB-9B9A-20F44274105C.jpeg

EF452544-3F5C-4041-947A-9A2A82E8BF71.jpeg

D8BA229C-65A7-498E-94E3-184FF8A48849.jpeg

0C2F5A8E-AE98-4A4B-8219-439D47D6A4F4.jpeg

6D25EFE9-58A5-4234-9732-E753AE1C8E68.jpeg

724910AA-1B13-4605-8BB2-EC3164A6784C.jpeg

3D86CBB2-D086-4FC8-9368-6A64A3C42168.jpeg

93567EFB-2273-4A49-8F23-13349E02E1EB.jpeg

I forgot to add….we all know how short and compact Rahm’s swing is but damn in person Rahm’s swing is REALLY compact!

13 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Sooooo for Bryson's distance increase, what were the contributing factors to his 20 yard gain in driving distance from 2019 to 2020? Was it mostly using a driver from 2016? 

@RDel90  Bryson made massive swing changes. Today he is much less bulky than when he first accomplished the distance gains but he hasn’t lost any distance from then. He himself has come out and said that he increased strength but it didn’t increase his distance like he thought it would. 

here we go again. I’m pretty sure the strength and speed training for more distance has been hashed out on this site in the last year or so to include talking about the tour only using 2 holes for measuring distance and lots of factors that go into why a persons avg may change based on hole layout, club selection and whether they end up in the rough or fairway that will determine total distance. Also if anyone wants to see a certain persons answers that won’t change there is an entire thread on another forum with the same arguments.

All I have to say is anyone who doesn’t think fitness and strength training have a role in gaining distance. Spend some time following a program in the gym along with an eating lifestyle that promotes strength and muscle gain then report your results after 6 months, then after a year and so on.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, RDel90 said:

So here are the teaser photos from the practice round today (didn’t watch much of the Charity Match).

Notable Notes:

Xander was walking (little bent over with extra gold around his neck) with Cantlay.

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the pics and videos!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

15 hours ago, RDel90 said:

Notable Notes:

IMG_6412.MOV IMG_6411.MOV

Well done!! 👏 Particularly like the selfie with Bryson and Rham.